PDA

View Full Version : Dupree picks Spurs over Pistons in finals already!

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 12:38 PM
Dupree loves the Spurs and he already picked them over the Pistons.
Too bad he didn't answer the 2 questions I asked him though :wtf
http://cgi1.usatoday.com/mchat/20050525004/tscript.htm

San Antonio, Texas: I don't want to sound biased because I'm from San Antonio. But, seeing as to how San Antonio ran Phoenix out of their own arena by scoring 43-pts in the 4th quarter, do you feel that San Antonio has proven to the Suns that they still need time to learn the post season series life? I know they've (Suns) have been winning against their foes in the first two rounds, but let's face it, the Spurs play defense. Phoenix is used to just run-and-gun, but no all NBA teams do that. San Antonio and Detroit do that and have proven to be champions. Your response is greatly appreciated.

David DuPree: You are absolutely correct. You cannot win the title without being a sound defensive team. The Spurs are fortunate enough to be just as sound at both ends of the floor. They can play slow-down or up-tempo, but they always play defense.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannover, Germany: Hey David, San Antonio can run with the Suns and the Pistons can shutdown the Heat. That’s what the first conference finals’ gameday has shown. Two things that you told the readers throughout the season which I would have never believed. Although you see me astonished, I am still willing to place a bet against a Spurs-Pistons Final. If this really happens, I invite you for one of the smooth and icecold German beers that coach Brown likes so much, whenever you make it to Germany! Oh, and I still go with the Heat ;o)) Thanx as always - marco

David DuPree: Hey Marco
You're on. If it isn't the Spurs and Pistons in the finals, I invite you for a nice tall diet Pepsi when you make it to Columbia, Maryland (honest).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle, WA: David, I noticed that you picked the Spurs over the Sonics in 6. Nice Job -- but, did you make that prediction before or after Vlady and Rashard went down? Just wanted to know if you were as impressed as I was with how the Supes battled. Although, I admit I'm biased.

David DuPree: I made the pick before Rashard and Vlady went down. Come on, give me a little credit. I was greatly impressed with the way the Sonics battled. It will be a shame, a real shame if they don't keep McMillan and re-sign Allen and the rest of the key free agents. This is a team on the rise and if they let it get broken up, for whatever reason when it is still so young, they will regret it. It starts with Nate and Ray. Take care of them and everything else will fall into line. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Los Angles, CA: Dave, do you think that the Pistons can surprise everyone this year in the East Finals like they did against L.A last year? If so can they take the Spurs or Suns on?

David DuPree: I don't think it will be an upset if the Pistons beat Miami, but I do think the Spurs will beat them in the Finals.

San Diego, Ca: Hello, Do you think the Spurs and Pistons are boring like so many others do? I happen to enjoy watching all four of the teams left. Thanks.

David DuPree: I love NBA basketball, so defense and lower scoring games are fine with me.

Bryan - Phoenix, AZ: The Spurs a starting to remind my of a more cerebral version of the '94 and '95 Houston Rockets: the best big man in the game (both offensively and defensively) surrounded by 3-point shooters and slashers. That's scary to me because I'm a Suns fan and I fully remember the Suns being unable to finish off the Rockets (despite being up 2-0 and 3-1, respectively) during their back-to-back championships. Everyone talks about San Antonio's defense, but I don't think that will be the story of the Western Conference Finals. I think the Suns can score enough to beat the Spurs. I belive the story will be their offense. Much like those Rockets teams, if the Spurs hit their 3's (because the Suns can't guard Duncan), all Steve Nash & Co can do is shake their hands and go home.

David DuPree: You're right. I didn't make the connection with the Rockets, but now that you point it out, it's obvious. You just gave me a great story idea that I will give you credit for. Thanks.

Orlando,fl: WAZZUP DD!Can a Sista GET SOME LOVE??My logical mind takes S.A but my rooting for the Suns get's my adrenaline going. If and (I know it's a big if) the Matrix gets going the Suns will prevail. Q-dog better talk to Brandy, because he's doing a straight up CHOKE JOB. You agree??

David DuPree: I think I agree. I have to sift your question through my translation program first. No, I was just joking. I'm not as young as I used to be and I need to regroup for a second when you come at me like that, but I can handle it. Keep bringing it. I think the Suns have nothing to be ashamed of. Nobody's choking. They have played as well as they can and have stayed true to themselves, but the Spurs are just too big, too strong, too deep, too smart, too versatile, too ... get the point?

Detroit, Michigan: What do you predict the series between Miami and the Champion Pistons? I say that most people got so involved with Shaq leaving L.A and going to Miami, that they forgot what the Pistons (The Wallaces in Particular) did to Shaq in last years finals, and what Prince did to Kobe, and they made it look easy! I say that nobody has any respect for the Defending NBA world Champions!

David DuPree: I certainly respect the Pistons. They are solid at both ends of the floor and their minds are in the right place. I think a San Antonio-Detroit NBA Finals would be great basketball. Maybe not as exciting as a Phoenix-Miami final or as high scoring, but just as entertaining. They play both ends of the floor equally well and they have the two best coaches in the league, as well.

Tony ,Salt Lake City, UT: Mr DuPree, I know it's only one game, but my prediction before the series started was Pistons in 5, and I'm sticking to it. Wade has been put on such a pedastal this post-season, and granted he has had spectacular numbers, but I don't think he'll be able to put those up against a great defensive team. (see game 1).Washington and New Jersey should not count. And although Wade is young and will continue to improve, I would not put him in the Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson category in which his numbers reflect by any means because those players performed at their highest on the biggest stage. And although I am a Wade fan and not a Kobe fan, I don't think Wade's as good as Kobe yet. I think Lebron will be on a mission next year to have a better season that Kobe and Wade although Wade has the best team. I often wonder what Michael Jordan would've done if he had Shaq on his team. More than 6 titles? Could he have sacrificed his game for the big fella? What do you think?

David DuPree: Michael Jordan would have done anything to win. Forget Shaq. If he had Tim Duncan on his team.

munich, germany: hi david, hallo from germany... alright, thats it, looks like the playoffs are almost over, with san antonio leading 2-0 over the suns, and weather detroit or miami being good teams, but not looking strong enough to really threaten the spurs, physically and(!) mentally, dont you agree!? question: the spurs seem to be so complete and balanced, do you see any way to improve them? and which team do you think can/could threaten them the most? always nice to hear from you, greetz --Stefan Obermeier--

David DuPree: hallo Stefan
I think the Pistons would give the Spurs the most trouble in the Finals if both teams get there. But I do think San Antonio has more weapons. I guess they could use another outside shooter, but other than that, I just don't see many weaknesses in that team. Do you?

Jeff - Belgium: Xin Chao Anh Dave, About the Suns/Spurs series I think that Phoenix will be swept if they don't start to defend. The spurs knew that and got them at their own game by scoring more than them. Enjoyed your article about matchup between Nash and Parker and as soon as Parker plays like he did in the last two games (20+ points and a lot of running), I don't see how the Sun would win any game even if nash and Stoudemire scores 65 pts a night between them. Those two games really showed the intelligence of the Spurs and are really fun to watch even when you have to wake up in the middle of the night to do so ;-) Talking about Parker, he has a well documented history about inconsistency (holes in the season, some of game in play-off series) and I am scared that will also haunt him in this serie. What his your point of view about those slumps and what could be the reason of those slumps ? Cheers for the answers. Hen Gap Lai Jeff

David DuPree: Xin Chao Anh Jeff
Parker is still awfully young and most of his mistakes are because of that. But he is a smart kid and makes fewer of them. also this season, Ginobili is playing a lot of point guard, allowing Parker to play without the ball, which seems to settle him down.

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 02:13 PM
What were your questions?

E20
05-25-2005, 02:14 PM
ya hi i am some gay spurs fan adn i am a fuckin gay ass front runner

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 02:24 PM
looks like someone has sabotaged E20's account. Ignore him.

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 02:28 PM
What were your questions?

I asked him if JJ returns w/Phoenix, what should they expect from him? and if he does produce like he was, what are Phoenix chances for game 3,4. Ah and I also asked him what he thought of Manu's famous play and where it ranks all-time :)

MadDog73
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
I asked him if JJ returns w/Phoenix, what should they expect from him? and if he does produce like he was, what are Phoenix chances for game 3,4. Ah and I also asked him what he thought of Manu's famous play and where it ranks all-time :)

Nice. Too bad he didn't answer them.

I think the only real advantage JJ brings is on Defense, and giving Nash a break. I was listening to Walter on 760 saying that if Marion scores more points, they have to come from somewhere. The Suns aren't going to score over 130 pts against the Spurs in regulation. I'd say the same applies to JJ: if he scores 20, that's less shots for Nash or Amare.

I guess we'll find out Saturday, although I wouldn't play JJ at all. It's not worth the risk to his future, for a long shot win over the Spurs when you're already down 0-2.

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Nice. Too bad he didn't answer them.

I think the only real advantage JJ brings is on Defense, and giving Nash a break. I was listening to Walter on 760 saying that if Marion scores more points, they have to come from somewhere. The Suns aren't going to score over 130 pts against the Spurs in regulation. I'd say the same applies to JJ: if he scores 20, that's less shots for Nash or Amare.

I guess we'll find out Saturday, although I wouldn't play JJ at all. It's not worth the risk to his future, for a long shot win over the Spurs when you're already down 0-2.

He's been practicing already, so my guess is he'll play, but I don't know how many minutes.

Phenomanul
05-25-2005, 02:59 PM

Tony ,Salt Lake City, UT: Mr DuPree, I know it's only one game, but my prediction before the series started was Pistons in 5, and I'm sticking to it. Wade has been put on such a pedastal this post-season, and granted he has had spectacular numbers, but I don't think he'll be able to put those up against a great defensive team. (see game 1).Washington and New Jersey should not count. And although Wade is young and will continue to improve, I would not put him in the Michael Jordan, Oscar Robertson category in which his numbers reflect by any means because those players performed at their highest on the biggest stage. And although I am a Wade fan and not a Kobe fan, I don't think Wade's as good as Kobe yet. I think Lebron will be on a mission next year to have a better season that Kobe and Wade although Wade has the best team. I often wonder what Michael Jordan would've done if he had Shaq on his team. More than 6 titles? Could he have sacrificed his game for the big fella? What do you think?

David DuPree: Michael Jordan would have done anything to win. Forget Shaq. If he had Tim Duncan on his team.

Respect for Tim... I think so....

blaze89
05-25-2005, 04:14 PM
Pistons are the one team that scares me, as a Spurs fan. I would like to see Miami - Spurs final cause I just want the Spurs to knock off Shaq in The Finals.

Pistons are a very good team and are similiar to the Spurs in some ways, they are the defending champions after all.

twincam
05-25-2005, 05:56 PM
undefinedSan Antonio, Texas: I don't want to sound biased because I'm from San Antonio. But, seeing as to how San Antonio ran Phoenix out of their own arena by scoring 43-pts in the 4th quarter, do you feel that San Antonio has proven to the Suns that they still need time to learn the post season series life? I know they've (Suns) have been winning against their foes in the first two rounds, but let's face it, the Spurs play defense. Phoenix is used to just run-and-gun, but no all NBA teams do that. San Antonio and Detroit do that and have proven to be champions. Your response is greatly appreciated.

In case you all didn't know...I'm the one that posted that question to Dupree !!!!
I'm a celebrity !!!!

nkdlunch
05-25-2005, 10:43 PM
undefinedSan Antonio, Texas: I don't want to sound biased because I'm from San Antonio. But, seeing as to how San Antonio ran Phoenix out of their own arena by scoring 43-pts in the 4th quarter, do you feel that San Antonio has proven to the Suns that they still need time to learn the post season series life? I know they've (Suns) have been winning against their foes in the first two rounds, but let's face it, the Spurs play defense. Phoenix is used to just run-and-gun, but no all NBA teams do that. San Antonio and Detroit do that and have proven to be champions. Your response is greatly appreciated.

In case you all didn't know...I'm the one that posted that question to Dupree !!!!
I'm a celebrity !!!!
:fro