PDA

View Full Version : Manu right now deserves to start over Bryant for the ASG

Rummpd
12-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Why?

Manu is leading his team to the best record (and he is their MVP right now) and playing about the same 33 minutes a game is outplaying Bryant in key areas except scoring. (Manu is at 21.9 while the Bryant is at 26.7 ppg). Manu has a higher PER (25.9 vs. 24.3) and shooting % (48.1 vs. 42.8) for Bryant. Meanwhile, Bryant is only hitting 32.1% of his threes while Manu is at 40.3%. IMO Manu has not only been the more exciting player, but more importantly, has been arguebly more effective in the clutch than the greatly regarded Bryant in that regard*.

*Think how many games this year Manu has been the difference maker when it counts - this is NOT a surprise he was statistically rated as the most clutch player in the NBA for the previous 5 seasons in 2009!) : http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/11/05/clutch.numbersgame/index.html

Summary of the article: "Not only is Ginobili the new Batman, he's also Mr. Clutch." (check how far down the list Bryant was then along with several other superstars.)

Send a message that he should be on the team even though it will be hard to stuff the ballots enough to put Bryant on the bench.

(Source for shooting %. www.nba.com. Other stats at http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics )

FeZZy
12-01-2010, 06:54 PM
You know it's fan voting right?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
^What he said.

Rummpd
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I know that and this is a pipe dream but Manu for the last few weeks has been the best SG in the league bar none. Vote enough so that it hopefully will at least send a message for the selection of the alternates.

This is how the coaches did that last year: http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-100122-23/reserve-judgment-all-star-game

PDXSpursFan
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
No chance of Manu starting over Kobe. But Manu will easily make it this year as a reserve over Roy.

MmP
12-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Im all Manu, but no way

BanditHiro
pop is not going to play him anyways

VBM
Paul and Kobe got the guard spots on lock

BanditHiro
12-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Deron Williams

DPG21920
12-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Manu is playing great. All-Star is simply a popularity contest and while it's nice to have Spurs being recognized, it really doesn't matter to me.

I would rather him rest.

Rummpd
12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

While Westbrooke, Williams and Manu Ginobili all are arguebly equally as deserving right now. Each has ramped up their games to win big games lately.

I agree the rest would be good for him but he deserves a spot and in the deep West it is no guarantee he will be picked even as a reserve.

spurspokesman
12-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Right now yes. Later on? But the league will continue to slob over kobe. Im just happy ginobili is in good health and I want him to get a higher honor. (FINALS MVP) that sounds better to me.:toast

Seventyniner
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Best case scenario is Manu gets chosen as a reserve and the Spurs have the best record in the West at the break. That way Pop can give Manu about 8 minutes to throw alley-oops to Durant while resting the rest of the game.

I can't imagine Duncan not making the All-Star team (the coaches will choose him if the fans don't), so Pop coaching the West would help with those minutes, too.

TD 21
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
This is not even debatable.

I'm always hesitant to do this with all-time greats like Duncan and Bryant, but people had no problem saying so when Gasol passed Duncan, yet no one seems willing to do the same with Ginobili and Bryant. But it's getting perilously close to the point where there's no other logical conclusion to draw. He's been better throughout the calendar year. In fact, at this writing, no one is playing better in the entire league than Ginobili.

If the All-Star game were based solely on merit, the West would look like this...

Starters: F- Anthony, Nowitzki, C- Gasol, G- Ginobili, Paul

Bench: F- Durant, Odom, C- Duncan, G- Bryant, Parker, Westbrook, Williams

Since the All-Star game is not based solely on merit, the West will look like this...

Starters: F- Anthony, Durant, C- Yao, G- Bryant, Paul

Bench: F- Gasol, Nowitzki, C- Duncan, G- Ginobili, Nash, Westbrook, Williams

As far as Duncan goes, he's been the second best center in the West, after Gasol. So it's not even like the coaches would vote him in just based on his stature. Yao will probably win the fan vote, but after that, coaches are allowed to list players based on the position they primarily play. If Gasol isn't voted in to start at forward, then he's the only other viable backup center option. But either way, I can't see Duncan not making it and when he does, it'll be more based on merit than anything.

VBM
12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Deron Williams

I think the fans would vote Paul in...Williams just doesn't get the respect Paul does

galvatron3000
12-01-2010, 07:46 PM
You know it's fan voting right?

this

Pauleta14
12-01-2010, 08:09 PM
AS selections are not based on merit, at least not the starting five...

This year Manu >>Kobe (even for non spurs fans) !

jestersmash
12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Forget starting, it'll be a miracle of he even makes it as an all star reserve. That alone is rather doubtful.

Rapper
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Well said~

SA210
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Why?

Manu is leading his team to the best record (and he is their MVP right now) and playing about the same 33 minutes a game is outplaying Bryant in key areas except scoring. (Manu is at 21.9 while the Bryant is at 26.7 ppg). Manu has a higher PER (25.9 vs. 24.3) and shooting % (48.1 vs. 42.8) for Bryant. Meanwhile, Bryant is only hitting 32.1% of his threes while Manu is at 40.3%. IMO Manu has not only been the more exciting player, but more importantly, has been arguebly more effective in the clutch than the greatly regarded Bryant in that regard*.

*Think how many games this year Manu has been the difference maker when it counts - this is NOT a surprise he was statistically rated as the most clutch player in the NBA for the previous 5 seasons in 2009!) : http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/john_schuhmann/11/05/clutch.numbersgame/index.html

Summary of the article: "Not only is Ginobili the new Batman, he's also Mr. Clutch." (check how far down the list Bryant was then along with several other superstars.)

Send a message that he should be on the team even though it will be hard to stuff the ballots enough to put Bryant on the bench.

(Source for shooting %. www.nba.com (http://www.nba.com). Other stats at http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics )

:tu

DJ Mbenga
12-01-2010, 11:00 PM
fan voting. the end

ducks
12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
someone needs to take their homer glasses out

TMTTRIO
12-01-2010, 11:46 PM
As much as I would love for him to make one more AS appearance, Manu will never make it in again. Unfortunately he'll be a one time AS who was lucky to make it in the first place.