PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech Fans ..

Flo-Rida
12-01-2010, 11:37 PM
What are your own personal opinions of mike leach ?? Do you think his type of coaching style would be a good fit for Miami ?

Trump plays "told you so" with Shalala

http://i52.tinypic.com/i35hg8.jpg

The note couldn't have reeked any more of Donald Trump if it was delivered wrapped in a toupee or posted at YoureFired.com.

Four years back, "The Donald" reached out his friend Donna Shalala, pleading the case of Texas Tech captain Mike Leach. Trump felt Leach was the perfect hire for the University of Miami, but the top brass wound up going with Randy Shannon after it was reported that Leach tanked in his UM interview.

Stories vary regarding Leach's sit down with the UM folk, though the Palm Beach Post now reports that nobody showed up in a Hawaiian shirt, flip flops or scared off the administration with any tall tales. The issue in 2006 was confusion over salary as well as former athletic director Paul Dee not believing there was as much interest coming from the other side of the table.

"Mike's a fine guy, an interesting guy, but we just didn't get the sense that he was as interested as we had been led to believe," said Dee.

"We were serious about him, though. We wouldn't have interviewed anybody we weren't seriously thinking about."

Four years later, UM again doesn't appear interested in Leach, this time with folks close to the situation citing that no coach with any baggage will be up for consideration. (Leach was fired by Texas Tech for allegedly locking a player in an electrical closet over a disagreement, though strong evidence supports Leach's cause that he's innocent.)

Of course all of this is much to the chagrin of The Donald, per the handwritten note to President Shalala on the above Sunday copy of the Palm Beach Post. The note read:

Donna, You made a big mistake when you did not take my advice and hire Mike Leach of Texas Tech - look what's happened to them since he left ... hire Coach Leach and you'll be #1 ... and you can now get him for the right price. - Best Wishes, Donald

Trump also made sure to underline "Shannon fired" in the story's headline.

Adding insult to injury, a lead story titled "Reversal of Fortune", praising first-year Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher for snapping the Noles' six-game losing streak to the Gators, en route to clinching the school's first ACC title game birth since 2005.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-01-2010, 11:56 PM
As a Texas Tech rival.....you guys will have one of the best offenses in the country.

Flo-Rida
12-02-2010, 12:03 AM
As a Texas Tech rival.....you guys will have one of the best offenses in the country.

The only thing i would be worried about is how we would be on the defensive side .

DesignatedT
12-02-2010, 01:42 AM
offensive genius. terrible defense. will always be competitive but will never take you over the top.

BUMP
12-02-2010, 02:32 AM
will always be competitive but will never take you over the top.

crofl

the reason he never took Tech "over the top" is because their talent didn't even compare to the likes of OU and Texas.

Miami would rack up conference titles left and right if they brought in Leach. I would understand why they would take Gruden over him though.

DeadlyDynasty
12-02-2010, 03:58 AM
The only thing i would be worried about is how we would be on the defensive side .

Yeah I heard them talking about Leach on the Le Batard show today.
Miami's current crop of defensive players is pretty good tbh...the dline is damn good, LB's good enough, but the secondary isn't very strong.

Leach would be a great fit, and I'd take him as a consolation prize if we don't land Gruden.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Fantastic offense; Michigan-grade defense

He'll take you for a fun ride, though.

BUMP
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Not sure why everyone is so worried about defense. Tech had a stout defense his last 2 years here (led the nation in sacks last season), and Miami is gonna be way more loaded on defense than Tech is. That's not gonna be a problem for them

Blake
12-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Not sure why everyone is so worried about defense. Tech had a stout defense his last 2 years here (led the nation in sacks last season), and Miami is gonna be way more loaded on defense than Tech is. That's not gonna be a problem for them

no shit.

And actually, all Tech fans had been begging for years for was just an average defense.

If Miami were to get Leach and the right defensive coordinator, it would be a dynasty in the making.

I like Tubbs but I'm missing Leach and the sound bytes and the pirate stuff and everything that came with him.

The U would be a lead story in the opening intro on sportscenter every Saturday night.

:(

Flo-Rida
12-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah I heard them talking about Leach on the Le Batard show today.
Miami's current crop of defensive players is pretty good tbh...the dline is damn good, LB's good enough, but the secondary isn't very strong.

Leach would be a great fit, and I'd take him as a consolation prize if we don't land Gruden.

ehhh this year our dline has been way to incosistent , our lb's as well execpt for spence , and our secondary ranked among the top in turnover its next year im worried about if we lose brandon harris .

FromWayDowntown
12-02-2010, 12:03 PM
It's silly to look at Leach and conclude that his teams are somehow incapable of playing good defense. Put in charge of a destination program that has the resources to lure blue-chip players and excellent coaches/coordinators, Leach is at least smart enough to know to hire a bright defensive mind and leave that side of the ball to his assistants. I agree with others: the fact that Tech's defenses weren't particularly good when Leach was in Lubbock has a lot more to do with the kinds of players who would choose Tech than with any inherent inability of Mike Leach to prioritize defense.

Oh, and it's scary to think what his offense might do if it had blue-chip guys at a variety of positions.

DesignatedT
12-02-2010, 01:17 PM
There is probably a reason why Leach never has a solid D coordinator next to him... Everyone has been saying the same thing for the past decade "If Tech got a defense to go along with that offense than they would be unstoppable" and they were right, but it never happened and there is a reason for that.

Blake
12-02-2010, 02:19 PM
There is probably a reason why Leach never has a solid D coordinator next to him... Everyone has been saying the same thing for the past decade "If Tech got a defense to go along with that offense than they would be unstoppable" and they were right, but it never happened and there is a reason for that.

what's the reason?

BUMP
12-02-2010, 02:32 PM

The reason is that no good defensive coordinator wants to come to Lubbock freaking Texas to coach a team that will never land top recruits on that side of the ball. It has nothing to do with Leach.

Do you really think that a D coordinator will turn down a ton of money to coach at Miami?

BUMP
12-02-2010, 02:37 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Funny thing is that we bring in an SEC "run first, defensive minded" coach to replace Leach and yet our defense has taken a huge step back in every defensive category this season. And we aren't even facing Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy this year.

Love to see the Leach haters try and argue that

Blake
12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
The reason is that no good defensive coordinator wants to come to Lubbock freaking Texas to coach a team that will never land top recruits on that side of the ball. It has nothing to do with Leach.

Do you really think that a D coordinator will turn down a ton of money to coach at Miami?

Tommy has been a pretty good D coach and I think Willis was a good hire as well.

During Leach's tenure at Tech there were only two cordinators: Lyle Setenich and Muffin McNeil.

Leach felt he owed Setenich a job since he had given Leach a job as OC back when Set was head coach at a small Cali college.

McNeil had been a position coach for Tech for a long time and simply moved up.

Had Tech been actively looking, I think they could have brought in a decent DC, but it's been the same problem UT has with Greg Davis: The HC likes the guy as a person.

Blake
12-02-2010, 02:48 PM
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Funny thing is that we bring in an SEC "run first, defensive minded" coach to replace Leach and yet our defense has taken a huge step back in every defensive category this season. And we aren't even facing Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy this year.

Love to see the Leach haters try and argue that

eh, I think we lost some good players to the NFL or graduation in the last couple of years.

I'll give Tubs a few years to get the defense right before I call him a bust.

BUMP
12-02-2010, 02:55 PM
Tommy has been a pretty good D coach and I think Willis was a good hire as well.

Huh? Our defense is the 4th worst in all of college football. And it's not just the Oklahoma and Oklahoma State's that are lighting us up. Even Iowa State had their way with us. Part of it is the young secondary, but I still expected much better than that from Tuberville.

During Leach's tenure at Tech there were only two cordinators: Lyle Setenich and Muffin McNeil.

Leach felt he owed Setenich a job since he had given Leach a job as OC back when Set was head coach at a small Cali college.

McNeil had been a position coach for Tech for a long time and simply moved up.

Had Tech been actively looking, I think they could have brought in a decent DC, but it's been the same problem UT has with Greg Davis: The HC likes the guy as a person.

I didn't know all that about Setenich, pretty interesting. Either way, I feel like Leach does a good job of atleast letting his assistants work without meddling. I don't see why he won't do that at Miami and they should have no problem hiring somebody decent.

Maybe Tech could've gotten someone better, maybe not, I just feel like there's more incentive for a D coordinator to go to Miami where there's a chance to dominate the ACC for years, instead of Tech where you will always be in UT and OU's shadow.

DesignatedT
12-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Mike Leach is always going to control the recruits coming in and he is always going to want to recruit high profile offensive players. He is also very egotistic and is going to do it his way. A Mike Leach football team will never have a big name D coordinator join him. The only chance they have is finding the up and comers from smaller programs (much like a Tim Deruyter for A&M) who will jump at tier 1 job like that, but if you think some big name D coordinator is going to come play 2nd fiddle to Leach who really dgaf about his defense and constantly puts them in a position to fail than you are crazy.

DesignatedT
12-02-2010, 05:27 PM
:lmao leach taking a stab at Tech

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is certainly interested in becoming the next football coach at the University of Miami.

"I think it's a perfect fit because I'm in Miami," said Leach, who moved his family to Key West, Fla., after Tech fired him last December. "I think it's a perfect fit because of the offense they run and all the skill players they've got at a variety of positions.

"Plus, they're committed to academics, and so am I."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/01/2673123/miami-coaching-job-intriguing.html

Blake
12-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Huh? Our defense is the 4th worst in all of college football. And it's not just the Oklahoma and Oklahoma State's that are lighting us up. Even Iowa State had their way with us. Part of it is the young secondary, but I still expected much better than that from Tuberville.

oh, no question our D has been a huge broken boner this year.

I meant over his career, Tubs has been a pretty decent D coach.....or at least that's been the perception.

I didn't know all that about Setenich, pretty interesting. Either way, I feel like Leach does a good job of atleast letting his assistants work without meddling. I don't see why he won't do that at Miami and they should have no problem hiring somebody decent.

I'd agree.

If I was Miami fan, I would beg and plead the powers that be to hire Leach.

Maybe Tech could've gotten someone better, maybe not, I just feel like there's more incentive for a D coordinator to go to Miami where there's a chance to dominate the ACC for years, instead of Tech where you will always be in UT and OU's shadow.

yeah, that's true, but you could say that about the OC and HC as well, yet Tuberville was practically begging for the job.

Tubs has also put together one of Tech's best recruiting classes ever for 2011.

I do wonder what our record what have been this year had Leach stayed on and who the starting QB would have been...

Blake
12-02-2010, 05:51 PM
:lmao leach taking a stab at Tech

Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach is certainly interested in becoming the next football coach at the University of Miami.

"I think it's a perfect fit because I'm in Miami," said Leach, who moved his family to Key West, Fla., after Tech fired him last December. "I think it's a perfect fit because of the offense they run and all the skill players they've got at a variety of positions.

"Plus, they're committed to academics, and so am I."

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/12/01/2673123/miami-coaching-job-intriguing.html

Leach isn't taking a stab at Tech.

He's hyping himself. He was always pointing out how his teams are usually always at the top in the Big XII in graduation rate percentage.

2008 NCAA Graduation Success Rate for BCS Football Programs

1. Notre Dame 94%
2. Stanford 93
T3. BC 92
T3. Duke 92
T3. Northwestern 92
6. Vanderbilt 91
7. Wake Forest 83
8. Texas Tech 79
T9. Baylor 78
T9. Nebraska 78
T9. UNC 78
T9. Penn State 78
T13. UConn 77
T13. Indiana 77
T15. Colorado 75
T15. Iowa 75
T15. Syracuse 75
T15. Virginia Tech 75
19. Cincinnati 73
T20. Illinois 70
T20. Michigan 70
T20. Miami 70

http://www.fanblogs.com/ncaa/007839.php

rjv
12-02-2010, 06:22 PM
tuberville was also solid at auburn with graduation rates and honor roll players so tech is not ignoring academics, it seems, when it comes to their football program.

The Reckoning
12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
i guess they dont count service academies

Blake
12-02-2010, 11:48 PM
i guess they dont count service academies

this past year:

Top 10 Football Grad Rates: Division I-A

Duke 96%
Notre Dame 96%
Navy 93%
Northwestern 92%
Boston College 91%
Vanderbilt 91%
Stanford 89%
Air Force 87%
Army 86%
Miami (Ohio) 85%
Penn State 85%

http://stanford.scout.com/2/952555.html

don't know why they weren't mentioned before.

Blake
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Bottom 10 Football Grad Rates: Division I-A
San Jose St. 33%
Arizona 41%
Oklahoma 45%
Fresno St. 46%
Hawaii 47%
Florida International 47%
San Diego St. 48%
UAB 48%
Texas 49%
Oregon 49%
Georgia Tech 49%
Eastern Michigan 49%

sad that this is the norm year in and year out.

Blake
12-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Biggest Difference in Grad Rates Between Football Players and All Students
Major Programs
(Difference of 15% or more)
Football Players All Students Difference
UCLA 51% 89% -38%
Texas 49% 77% -28%
Georgia Tech 49% 77% -28%
USC 58% 85% -27%
Virginia 68% 93% -25%
Cal 64% 88% -24%
Texas A&M 55% 77% -22%
Georgia 57% 76% -19%
Maryland 60% 79% -19%
Michigan St. 56% 74% -18%
Arizona 41% 57% -16%
Oregon 49% 65% -16%
Michigan 71% 87% -16%
Oklahoma 45% 60% -15%
BYU 61% 76% -15%

rjv
12-03-2010, 02:03 PM
what is most impressive about notre dame and stanford is that those are damn good universities as well.

wonder where rice stands.

Blake
12-03-2010, 02:22 PM
wonder where rice stands.

in football, it appears they are somewhere in the middle of the pack.

found Rice here though:

Baseball Grad Rates: Selected Others

Rice 100%
Clemson 95%
Georgia Tech 83%
Florida St. 81%
Division I average 69%
South Carolina 68%
Long Beach St. 67%
Georgia 65%
Nebraska 50%
LSU 48%
Miami 45%
Fresno St. 45%
San Jose St. 38%
Texas 37%
Cal State Fullerton 29%

extremely impressive for Rice.

UT at the bottom again.

So is powerhouse CS Fullerton.

RedRaider
12-04-2010, 06:05 AM
Since when did Mike Leach control the defense? The reason we didn't have a good defense is we had a combination of average to terrible d coordinators and a lack of talent.

The Reckoning
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
i'm not defending the athletes, but UT is a really hard school. as i said before, i take classes with some athletes and they always turn in their exams five minutes after handed out. i don't know if they just dont care, or their "tutors" are trying their best to "help" them.