PDA

View Full Version : Quick Grades: Spurs at Clippers - Dec. 1

timvp
12-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Quick Grades: Spurs at Clippers (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-at-clippers-2/)

http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/dec1grades.jpg (http://www.sanantoniodispatch.com/san-antonio-spurs/spurs-grades/quick-grades-spurs-at-clippers-2/)

NASpurs
12-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Ok I'll say it first. How the hell does Bonner get a D?

FvckMavs
12-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Pop deserves his grade.

GSH
12-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Ok I'll say it first. How the hell does Bonner get a D?

LOL... another thread shot to hell with this discussion?

DPG21920
12-02-2010, 01:48 AM
Pop did not turn his swag on tonight, tbh.

NASpurs
12-02-2010, 01:48 AM
LOL... another thread shot to hell with this discussion?

:lol I couldn't resist. It's like when you read threads on other boards where people say "first!".

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2010, 01:49 AM
I would go:

Duncan- F
Manu- C-
Parker- F
Jefferson: B-
Blair: C+
Hill: C+
Bonner: F
Neal: B+
McDyess: D+
Splitter: C
Udoka: INCOMPLETE..I can't grade him as an NBA player, he isn't supposed to be in this league, so I won't grade him..
Pop: F

Chomag
Agree with most scores but I think Bonner and Udoka should have gotten an F. They both did nothing but hurt the team.

ElNono
I agree about being alarming that kind of fatigue on Dec 1st. At that rate we'll be done by February. Either they got too comfy after beating the Warriors or nobody slept during the trip to LA. Couple of players looked like mentally checked out of the game at times, with TP pretty much all the game. We'll see how they bounce back.
Thanks for the writeup :tu

MAxEric
I THINK Bonner should get a U!!Unqualified

TD 21
12-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Of course Splitter is going to try to do too much. This genius coach has messed him up. The better he plays, the less he plays. So now he probably figures he's got to do something extra or something special to play more, rather than just doing what he was doing. It's only natural.

The plug should have been pulled on Duncan early in this one. His legs were practically glued to the ground and he was playing against two pogo sticks. Bad combination.

I'd like to see a concerted effort next game to have Parker shoulder the load. It can't be the Ginobili show every game or he'll probably (I won't say definitively, like so many make it seem) burn out. More than any other player, Parker needs to get this team through the regular season.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Bonner defended Griffin as well as anyone else did tbh.

ElNono
12-02-2010, 01:51 AM
I would go:

Duncan- F
Manu- C-
Parker- F
Jefferson: B-
Blair: C+
Hill: C+
Bonner: F
Neal: B+
McDyess: D+
Splitter: C
Udoka: INCOMPLETE..I can't grade him as an NBA player, he isn't supposed to be in this league, so I won't grade him..
Pop: F

Yeah, I'm leaning closer to this scoring. I thought RJ and Neal were the only two worth rescuing from tonights game.

DPG21920
12-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Ummm, no he didn't. :lol

Tiago at least made Griffin pass the ball out of the post instead of just dunking every single time he touched it.

crc21209
12-02-2010, 01:55 AM

Tiago at least made Griffin pass the ball out of the post instead of just dunking every single time he touched it.

This...:lol

ElNono
12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
I thought Blair did pretty good too, anticipating a couple of the entry passes. I mean, good in relative terms. At least by the time the beast sat down we were up 9.

timvp
12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Only reason Bonner doesn't get an F is because Pop absorbed some of the failing grade for putting him in unbelievably bad positions.

TD 21
12-02-2010, 02:03 AM

Yeah, but he's got young, fresh legs, is eager to play and can at least somewhat protect the rim. Who needs any of those things? It's more fun to surrounded the one guy who can protect the rim (who couldn't do it tonight, only because he could barely move, to the point of being statue-esque) with an ice cold, one dimensional player.

That's the problem with this coach. If this one was going to be a win, it was clear it was going to be because of youthful exuberance. Naturally, he went with a rotation that featured as little of those things as possible and let three-point shooting (with dead legged players, no less) decide the outcome.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 02:05 AM

But Pop didn't play Tiago when it mattered did he? He played Bonner.

And . . . Griffin dunked all over everybody tonight. Sorry. It's true.

angelbelow
12-02-2010, 02:10 AM
While it was frustrating to see us lose, this was really a non issue. Clippers were hot while the Spurs were cold. Bound to happen, I was personally hoping pop would just rest the starters, esp after that timeout around 1:30secs.

Josepatches_
12-02-2010, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE=TD 21;4792360
I'd like to see a concerted effort next game to have Parker shoulder the load. It can't be the Ginobili show every game or he'll probably (I won't say definitively, like so many make it seem) burn out. More than any other player, Parker needs to get this team through the regular season.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think TP can't be more tired than Manu?

TP can help but he isn't 25 anymore and he has a lot of mileage in his legs.After One month of regular season He doesn't look much better than last year even resting the summer.

And of course we were playing a back to back so we can expect our players can be fresh in the 4th quarter even if they were 25

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I don't expect Splitter to play well against Griffin..I don't judge Bonner for his defense against Griffin either, that's unfair..

It pretty much comes down to a simple preference..I listed Splitter's possessions in the game thread..there was mixed results, as expected, but there has been a trend with Splitter..

While Splitter has made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes, his defense has been fairly good all year IMO..it has been surprising to me, especially since he has little chemistry with the guys, and doesn't know the system yet..remember, Jefferson and McDyess struggled to pick up the defensive system all year last season, always looking lost on rotations..Splitter has looked surprisingly good for a new guy, from a defensive standpoint, since this system is tough to pick up..

Bonner can give you more good than Splitter WHEN HIS SHOT IS ON..when Matt Bonner is on fire, he's the 2nd best big for the Spurs, without question IMO..his 3s usually come in flurries, and he puts up points in bunches, which is part of the reason his +/- is always so high..however, he clearly goes through stretches where he has absolutely no confidence, and we've already seen what he does in big games..right now, Bonner is clearly in a stretch where he has no confidence..he's passing up shots, hesitating, missing..

It's high risk/high reward vs. consistency..

If the Spurs are serious about becoming a defensive team again, obviously Splitter over Bonner should be a no-brainer..while Splitter's offense has been relatively poor so far, we already know that he's going to give energy, mobility and size on defense..

Is the potential of Bonner getting hot from the 3-point line more valuable than Splitter's consistent defensive presence?..that's pretty much what it comes down to IMO..

Right now, the Spurs might be needing the extra offensive boost, since Anderson is out..however, when he returns, is Bonner's shooting really that important?..with Manu, Neal, Anderson, the improved RJ, Hill..do the Spurs really need another 3-point shooter over a defender?..

I defend Bonner all the time, so I'm not looking to keep him on the bench completely..however, it's pretty obvious that Pop is unable to have him out as a spark or feeler, and then bench him if he struggles..he seems immune to this, just like Finley was..I would love for Pop to play Bonner based on situational purposes, but it just doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen..

TDMVPDPOY
12-02-2010, 02:17 AM
where the trade parker thread at?

angelbelow
12-02-2010, 02:23 AM
I defend Bonner all the time, so I'm not looking to keep him on the bench completely..however, it's pretty obvious that Pop is unable to have him out as a spark or feeler, and then bench him if he struggles..he seems immune to this, just like Finley was..I would love for Pop to play Bonner based on situational purposes, but it just doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen..

You just know, people are starting to feel that way.. I said it as a joke few games ago.

I think tonights game put Bonners defense on full display. I just dont understand why Blair or Splitter wasn't given a chance with Bonner struggling tonight. It really is unfair to put Bonner and Griffin or ask him to guard Gordon on the swtich. Im sure that doesn't help Bonners confidence either, getting repeatedly abused like that. Timmy had a poor game but he was going 2 on 1 most of that 4th quarter... hard to fault him as well.

TD 21
12-02-2010, 02:23 AM
While it was frustrating to see us lose, this was really a non issue. Clippers were hot while the Spurs were cold. Bound to happen, I was personally hoping pop would just rest the starters, esp after that timeout around 1:30secs.

Clippers were hot? They scored 90. They did shoot 49%, though, not surprising since with each passing game, every team seems to shoot higher and higher percentages against this team. They keep this up, they'll be allowing teams to shoot close to 50% against them for the season. Right now, they're closing in on 47 and they already allow 40% from three, both deplorable marks that won't cut it against elite or near elite teams in the playoffs.

This team needs to start blowing some teams out or at least get blown out themselves. Every game can't be some nip-and-tuck game, where they pull away late. That requires too many minutes from too many key players.

If the Timberwolves game isn't essentially over by halftime in favor of the Spurs, then no matter the outcome, it'll be a loss. That's how this team has to start measuring themselves. It shouldn't take 30-35 minutes and 20-25 points from Ginobili to beat that team, yet that's probably exactly what it'll take.

Why do you think TP can't be more tired than Manu?

TP can help but he isn't 25 anymore and he has a lot of mileage in his legs.After One month of regular season He doesn't look much better than last year even resting the summer.

And of course we were playing a back to back so we can expect our players can be fresh in the 4th quarter even if they were 25

I didn't say he can't be, but he shouldn't be. And even if he is, I don't care. He needs to be the guy carrying this team more often than not. Especially in situations like this. Second game of a back to back, playing a shit team, clearly Duncan and Ginobili didn't have it.

Ginobili is 33 and also has a lot of mileage on his legs. What's your point? I don't find fatigue is the issue with Parker, it's more so he's the type who's energy and all around game suffers when he's not a major part of the offense. Right now, he's almost relegated to being a spot up shooter because it's all Ginobili, all the time.

Fresh or not, this was a very winnable game. No excuses. That type of loser attitude will have this team as a 3 seed by the end of the season instead of a 1 seed, which is clearly there for the taking.

Harlem, it's clear this coach isn't serious about being a defensive team again. He proved it again tonight. He'd rather rely on three-point shooting than defense. That's why he's the biggest impediment to this team winning a championship this season. That type of philosophy will have this team eliminated at the hands of the Lakers, if they even get to them.

angelbelow
12-02-2010, 02:26 AM
Clippers were hot? They scored 90. They did shoot 49%, though, not surprising since with each passing game, every team seems to shoot higher and higher percentages against this team. They keep this up, they'll be allowing teams to shoot close to 50% against them for the season. Right now, they're closing in on 47 and they already allow 40% from three, both deplorable marks that won't cut it against elite or near elite teams in the playoffs.

This team needs to start blowing some teams out or at least get blown out themselves. Every game can't be some nip-and-tuck game, where they pull away late. That requires too many minutes from too many key players.

If the Timberwolves game isn't essentially over by halftime in favor of the Spurs, then no matter the outcome, it'll be a loss. That's how this team has to start measuring themselves. It shouldn't take 30-35 minutes and 20-25 points from Ginobili to beat that team, yet that's probably exactly what it'll take.

They were hot towards the end of the 1st half. But to be more precise, I guess I should say that the clippers scored when they had to while the Spurs struggled to in the 4th.

I personally thought they should have just rested the guys for the 4th. Clippers were obviously more energetic and focused, no need to force out a win esp. off a back to back. The game wasn't too out of hand either, if the bench can pull off a comeback (im confident they could) than that's even better.

objective
12-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Only reason Bonner doesn't get an F is because Pop absorbed some of the failing grade for putting him in unbelievably bad positions.

wouldn't that mitigate Duncan's F for Pop playing him on a b2b after he had his first triple double in years?

Bonner = FAIL

fail = F

Blackjack
12-02-2010, 02:31 AM
Is the potential of Bonner getting hot from the 3-point line more valuable than Splitter's consistent defensive presence?..that's pretty much what it comes down to IMO..

How this has even become a question for debate is beyond me . . .

What happened to my team's coach? :shootme

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 02:32 AM
I don't expect Splitter to play well against Griffin..I don't judge Bonner for his defense against Griffin either, that's unfair..

The best thing that Splitter did tonight was single-handedly slow the pace of the game with all those free throws. Of course, The spurs couldn't take advantage of any favor tonight.

It's pretty ridiculous to compare Bonner's defense (30 min) on Griffin to Splitter's (7 min). Maybe Splitter can defend Griffin better than Bonner over a 30 minute period . . . maybe not. Thanks to Pop, nobody knows.

siraulo23
thats bonner

one night he's 7-7, another night he's 0-6

UnWantedTheory
Agree with most scores but I think Bonner and Udoka should have gotten an F. They both did nothing but hurt the team.
That is such a fresh take from you, I was seriously shocked.:lol

objective
12-02-2010, 02:37 AM
Is the potential of Bonner getting hot from the 3-point line more valuable than Splitter's consistent defensive presence?

It's possible that the previous two postseasons could shed some light on that question.

duncan228
12-02-2010, 02:38 AM
You have to give the credit to their defense and to their energy, so I’m happy for them. It’s the NBA, and anybody can beat anybody at any time.

We played badly, bottom line. Nobody played well. I played awful. The ball wouldn’t go in the hole. On top of that, Blake played great, Eric played great, and they kept making shots down the stretch. … Our defense gave us a chance, and we got to that threshold where a 3-ball or any made shot would have got us right in it, and we couldn’t get the ball to go down.

Man In Black
I'm of the opinion that Pop mailed in this game early to make sure his team doesn't get a big head and still has that "appropriate fear," and that his boy Vinny gets a another W against a good team so he gets a chance at staying around longer.

ElNono
It's pretty ridiculous to compare Bonner's defense (30 min) on Griffin to Splitter's (7 min).

Maybe you can't directly, but Del Negro sure as heck knew he had to call the isos whenever Matt guarded Griffin. After Matty was overpowered twice in consecutive possessions, we started doubling, which in turn opened up their 3 point game. None of that happened with Tiago, because he can bang with strong guys down low. Tiago definitely had his own share of mistakes, but there's no doubt Pop put Matt in a position to fail trying to stay with Blake.

MaNu4Tres
12-02-2010, 02:42 AM
It's understandable why Splitter is trying to do too much-- He hardly gets minutes. And when he finally does get his sporadic 8-12 minutes a night, he is constantly ignored by the 2nd team guards on the offensive end (rolling to the basket-- and in the post).

It's really quite simple-- the guy is a rookie, trying to prove himself to his own coach and his own teammates after the hoopla Spurs received about him finally coming over. To me it's easy to understand why he seems to be trying to do too much when he finally gets a touch or two offensively-- It's because he knows he will never get another opportunity to prove himself because either Hill or Neal will just ignore him or Pop won't play him again that very game, so he essentially has to force the issue. Which shouldn't be an accurate assessment of his offensive game-- for those of you who have already crowned him Oberto Jr.

Tonight would have been a perfect opportunity for Pop to sit Duncan and his 50 lb pair of Adidas-- in order to get an accurate assessment on what Splitter can provide to this team when he's given quality minutes (25-30 minutes). Unfortunately Pop didn't do that and fortunately it's only December.

TD 21
12-02-2010, 02:43 AM
How this has even become a question for debate is beyond me . . .

What happened to my team's coach? :shootme

He suffered head trauma in may of '06. At this point, it's safe to say the damage is irreparable.

BanditHiro
12-02-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm of the opinion that Pop mailed in this game early to make sure his team doesn't get a big head and still has that "appropriate fear," and that his boy Vinny gets a another W against a good team so he gets a chance at staying around longer.

i wanna believe that but fuck we should have accidentally won that game if we had just made at least 6 or 7 more % of our shots

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Maybe you can't directly, but Del Negro sure as heck knew he had to call the isos whenever Matt guarded Griffin. After Matty was overpowered twice in consecutive possessions, we started doubling, which in turn opened up their 3 point game. None of that happened with Tiago, because he can bang with strong guys down low. Tiago definitely had his own share of mistakes, but there's no doubt Pop put Matt in a position to fail trying to stay with Blake.

You're probably right. I'm not a Bonner booster at all. Read my posts:lmao. I am speaking on the reality of the game. What happened? Bonner played 30 minutes. Tiago played 7 . . . he might have been awesome, he might have fouled out in 15 . . . point is, we don't know.

Pop just coached an awful game tonight. He is the worst improviser in the NBA. He cannot deal with a wrench in the works. Just horrible in game decisions. Can you give him a lower score than an F?

ElNono
12-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Let me point out that I didn't say you're a Bonner booster (whatever that means :lol)...

Blackjack
12-02-2010, 02:52 AM
He suffered head trauma in may of '06. At this point, it's safe to say the damage is irreparable.

Funny, and true. At least, I have to believe it's head trauma.

Pop's too intelligent and has only had championship success doing things with a defensive base, consisting of a two-pronged back line of defense, so it's got to be the case. Just gotsta be . . .

Blackjack
12-02-2010, 02:55 AM
Let me point out that I didn't say you're a Bonner booster (whatever that means :lol)...

http://www.extenzereviewsx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/extenze_300wide.jpg

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 02:56 AM

Just a point of clarification . . . or, what Jacko said.

ALVAREZ6
12-02-2010, 03:01 AM
fuckin terrible

HarlemHeat37
12-02-2010, 03:04 AM
I fully agree with 4Tres..

For me, I'm not big on going to Splitter in the post too much..by the end of the season, sure, once in a while, but I don't think he's going to be a significant 1 on 1 player..so far this season, his post game has been terrible..however, he clearly knows how to play on the p&r, he knows how to cut to the basket and where to be on the basketball court..that's something you can't teach, that's just a guy with a feel for the game..

When he's always playing with Hill and Neal, his offensive strengths aren't utilized at all, and he looks bad, like 4Tres said..

I can't even count how many times Hill has missed Splitter on a cut this season..I don't necessarily blame Hill, since he's one of the worst passers I've ever seen(just stating a fact, I'm still a fan of Hill), but it's obviously a disservice to Splitter..

When he has seen minutes with Manu and/or TP, the p&r game has clearly been very good..

angelbelow
12-02-2010, 03:25 AM
It's understandable why Splitter is trying to do too much-- He hardly gets minutes. And when he finally does get his sporadic 8-12 minutes a night, he is constantly ignored by the 2nd team guards on the offensive end (rolling to the basket-- and in the post).

It's really quite simple-- the guy is a rookie, trying to prove himself to his own coach and his own teammates after the hoopla Spurs received about him finally coming over. To me it's easy to understand why he seems to be trying to do too much when he finally gets a touch or two offensively-- It's because he knows he will never get another opportunity to prove himself because either Hill or Neal will just ignore him or Pop won't play him again that very game, so he essentially has to force the issue. Which shouldn't be an accurate assessment of his offensive game-- for those of you who have already crowned him Oberto Jr.

Tonight would have been a perfect opportunity for Pop to sit Duncan and his 50 lb pair of Adidas-- in order to get an accurate assessment on what Splitter can provide to this team when he's given quality minutes (25-30 minutes). Unfortunately Pop didn't do that and fortunately it's only December.

Well said.

polandprzem
12-02-2010, 03:30 AM
Quick grades :td to Grades

Has anybody got an E grade this year?

Bonner was decent on D but other aspect were horrible

crc21209
12-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I fully agree with 4Tres..

For me, I'm not big on going to Splitter in the post too much..by the end of the season, sure, once in a while, but I don't think he's going to be a significant 1 on 1 player..so far this season, his post game has been terrible..however, he clearly knows how to play on the p&r, he knows how to cut to the basket and where to be on the basketball court..that's something you can't teach, that's just a guy with a feel for the game..

When he's always playing with Hill and Neal, his offensive strengths aren't utilized at all, and he looks bad, like 4Tres said..

I can't even count how many times Hill has missed Splitter on a cut this season..I don't necessarily blame Hill, since he's one of the worst passers I've ever seen(just stating a fact, I'm still a fan of Hill), but it's obviously a disservice to Splitter..

When he has seen minutes with Manu and/or TP, the p&r game has clearly been very good..

+1. I've said it time and time again that the p&r game with TP or Manu and Splitter can be and has shown to be DEADLY. With Hill....not so much....

Chomag
12-02-2010, 03:33 AM
Quick grades :td to Grades

Has anybody got an E grade this year?

Bonner was decent on D but other aspect were horrible

If that was Bonner's decent defence I sure would hate to see his bad defence.

Not all of it was his fault though. Bonner should never ever be guarding Blake Griff

polandprzem
12-02-2010, 03:41 AM
If that was Bonner's decent defence I sure would hate to see his bad defence.

Not all of it was his fault though. Bonner should never ever be guarding Blake Griff

that's for sure. That's why i was so pissed at pop that he did not let tiago play more.
His 1-1 defense was worse then a team D.

It was really bad game for him. And to me grade E suits best

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 03:43 AM
It would seem that the Spurs simply have no match for an athletic talent like Griffin. Dice is probably the best option on the roster. While he can't play the entire game, it's absolute unintelligent coaching to put Bonner anywhere near Griffin. Pop is a smart guy and obviously a brilliant coach. However as a coach who appreciates and streses defense, I cannot undertand his thought process on Bonner and more importantly, why he would overexpose him in such an overwhelmening mismatch situation versus a player like Griffin?

objective
12-02-2010, 03:48 AM
I think I'd rather see Ryan Richards with both arms strapped to his body like a mummy to protect his recovering shoulders try to guard Griffin than Bonner.

objective
12-02-2010, 03:49 AM
Splitter should be starting to benefit from Manu and Tony.

And then Blair can have an easier time against back-up bigs.

And Bonner can enjoy DNPs.

man, what a wonderful dream . . .

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 03:57 AM
You're probably right. I'm not a Bonner booster at all. Read my posts:lmao. I am speaking on the reality of the game. What happened? Bonner played 30 minutes. Tiago played 7 . . . he might have been awesome, he might have fouled out in 15 . . . point is, we don't know.

Pop just coached an awful game tonight. He is the worst improviser in the NBA. He cannot deal with a wrench in the works. Just horrible in game decisions. Can you give him a lower score than an F?

He improvised pretty well the other night in NO. If hes this bad of a coach, why doesn't he get fired? You make him sound like hes Mike Dunleavy SR.

I like Splitter as a defender, but Splitter would of had a rough night guarding Griffin. No one on the Spurs roster can guard Griffin IMO. Hes a matchup nightmare. There might be a few, maybe less, in the league, that can deal with Griffin's combination of size/strength and quickness. To defend Griffin you need team defense.

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 04:01 AM
Anyone think Griffin's eyes didn't light up when he saw Bonner was matched up defensively against him? I'm sure his eyes light up because he attacked him on consecutive possessions as though he wasn't even there.

In all Pop's coaching brilliance, he should be called out for even putting Bonner on the same court as Griffin. Frankly, this is a game that Bonner shouldn't even see the court.

Blackjack
12-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Blake Griffin's a beast. He's just a freak and one hell of a player and I don't want to take anything away from the guy. But the Spurs have been known to give up the individual numbers from time to time (*cough* Amar'e *cough*). It's about limiting everyone else and doing what you do best.

The Clips scored 90 tonight. Had they used Splitter the way he should have been used, maybe he prevents a bucket or two or puts some fouls on Griffin or helps to secure some of those early defensive boards the Spurs failed to grab. Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs find a way to grind one out when their 3-point shot isn't falling and their slashers legs are gone.

Tim shouldn't have even played tonight, IMO. This should have been one of those games where you throw Blair and Splitter to the wolves, with a healthy dose of Dyess since he played sparingly against GS, and live with the result.

In all honesty, in recent years, the Spurs play much better being without Duncan then they usually do with a dead-legged Duncan. With him they don't have the same sense of urgency they do when he's gone. People step up in his absence and kind of go about business as usual when he's there -- think Blair's near 30-30 last year.

I just don't understand Pop's rationale. Tim's still the same aging big man with knee problems. He's still the same guy that needs to have his defensive burden in the frontcourt lessened because of those issues. Nothing's changed; and they're still the team that's failed to capture another title because of a decline in their defense. I-shit-you-not.

Crazy talk, I know. But that's me, 'Jack, everyone's favorite crazy sonbitch.

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Anyone think Griffin's eyes didn't light up when he saw Bonner was matched up defensively against him? I'm sure his eyes light up because he attacked him on consecutive possessions as though he wasn't even there.

In all Pop's coaching brilliance, he should be called out for even putting Bonner on the same court as Griffin. Frankly, this is a game that Bonner shouldn't even see the court.

+1. Bonner should of never been on Griffin. That was stupid of Pop. I actually like how Blair plays Griffin, but a guy I forgot to mention, Eric Gordon, was killing the Spurs as well. IMO, the Spurs as a whole looked a step slow tonight.

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Blake Griffin's a beast. He's just a freak and one hell of a player and I don't want to take anything away from the guy. But the Spurs have been known to give up the individual numbers from time to time (*cough* Amar'e *cough*). It's about limiting everyone else and doing what you do best.

The Clips scored 90 tonight. Had they used Splitter the way he should have been used, maybe he prevents a bucket or two or puts some fouls on Griffin or helps to secure some of those early defensive boards the Spurs failed to grab. Maybe, just maybe, the Spurs find a way to grind one out when their 3-point shot isn't falling and their slashers legs are gone.

Tim shouldn't have even played tonight, IMO. This should have been one of those games where you throw Blair and Splitter to the wolves, with a healthy dose of Dyess since he played sparingly against GS, and live with the result.

In all honesty, in recent years, the Spurs play much better being without Duncan then they usually do with a dead-legged Duncan. With him they don't have the same sense of urgency they do when he's gone. People step up in his absence and kind of go about business as usual when he's there -- think Blair's near 30-30 last year.

I just don't understand Pop's rationale. Tim's still the same aging big man with knee problems. He's still the same guy that needs to have his defensive burden in the frontcourt lessened because of those issues. Nothing's changed; and they're still the team that's failed to capture another title because of a decline in their defense. I-shit-you-not.

On contrare'. This is absolutely NOT crazy talk, it's the freaking truth.

Watching how both Griffin and Jordan dismantled the Spurs frontline reminded me, yet again, just how flawed the frontline really is. As I said in another thread, we all know there has been a decline in Duncan's overall game. The offensive load that he used to carry has been absorbed by TP, Manu, RJ and others.

It's on the defensive end, where the dropoff hasn't been mitigated. Bonner has size, no athleticism and only the ability to shoot long distance. Blair has heart, is a fierce rebounder, but is undersized and cannot shoot well. Dice is a good rebounder, midrange shooter, but is no longer a post presence. The Spurs simply do not have a big(s), who can provide a decent combination of all the requisite skills (scorer, shotblocking, rebounding) needed to make the contributions (protecting the paint, pick and roll defense) that Duncan has provided over the past decade and a half.

I know Splitter is supposed to be a partial antidote and solid defensive contributor, but he hardly plays. Duncan's decline and Bowen's departure are the two biggest reasons for the decline in the Spurs overall team defense, and for now, there is nothing and no one, to help offset that decline.

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 04:24 AM
+1. Bonner should of never been on Griffin. That was stupid of Pop. I actually like how Blair plays Griffin, but a guy I forgot to mention, Eric Gordon, was killing the Spurs as well. IMO, the Spurs as a whole looked a step slow tonight.

Me too. For one, he's competed against him before and certainly isn't afraid. Blair also doesn't mind going out on the floor with him and making attempts to knock the ball loose from Griff, before he gets into his drive. So yes, Blair, while not a sound defender, is a far better matchup against Griff than Bonner.

tuncaboylu
12-02-2010, 04:35 AM
It was an off-day, don't worry.

polandprzem
12-02-2010, 04:38 AM
Clipps did not played a great basketball, but they were effective, and unfortunately mostly because of the spurs lacking defense.
They seemed to be tired. TP has lost his speed - I wonder what's the reason?
Spurs were slow to rotate. LAC ball movement was not fast but still spurs were late. When they tried to double griffin it was deadly obvious it was not going to end up good.

Then spurs tried too many threepointers, and you could see their legs gave out. Pop was not even mad.

Every time we had a chance to reduce the lead to 2 or three point by a 3 point play we failed and the clipps were answering with a 3 point action themselves.
It was frustrating to watch it.

I even said it - I'm not watching it damn !!!

All in all. Hopefully Pop will give a day off because we play Minny on Friday and Hornets on Sunday.
Not gonna be easy at all - I said the same before the Clipps game giving the reasons.

cheers - I'm gonna go to bed now it's 10:38 am

Kamala
12-02-2010, 04:38 AM
The guys were in San Fran the night before. Too many options -Jazz, wine, butthole pleasures etc. will shut you down the day after. I'll chalk up this loss to that.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Eh, they sucked. It happens.

Brazil
12-02-2010, 06:57 AM
First shitty loss of the year, nothing really alarming.

Real concerns are for me: Tim one day superstar the other day tired and on the decline, TP is in a bad trend Idk if it is just fatigue or something else, Pop is loving his matty.

Brazil
12-02-2010, 07:02 AM

great post.

The only point is in Pop situation not playing Tim is a tough decision to make, we were surfing on an impressive record. Hard no to try what was working.

ManuTastic
12-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Seems pretty obvious what happened:
-Dead legs on a b2b
-No one on this squad can guard Griffin one on one anyway
-Shots weren't falling (see "dead legs" above)

This will happen sometimes to a team that relies on O more than D, as the Spurs do this year (esp jump-shot O). Some nights shots don't fall. Spurs were never going to win every game, and that's life in the NBA.

TJastal
12-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Bonner defended Griffin as well as anyone else did tbh.

I'm sure Chump will have several raspberry cookies earmarked for you at the next Popper meeting for your glowing remarks.

Josepatches_
12-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Seems pretty obvious what happened:
-Dead legs on a b2b
-No one on this squad can guard Griffin one on one anyway
-Shots weren't falling (see "dead legs" above)

This will happen sometimes to a team that relies on O more than D, as the Spurs do this year (esp jump-shot O). Some nights shots don't fall. Spurs were never going to win every game, and that's life in the NBA.

And that's all.
It was a back to a back,our FG% was 34% and our starting PG who is the second best player of the team wasn't in the game.

Sorry if everybody thought we were going to go 79-2. Just ain’t happening

Yes,TD isn't young but we are 15-3 and we are the best team of the league.Yes,our defense isn't the same but we aren't the same team.We are not the same Spurs.And it works.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm sure Chump will have several raspberry cookies earmarked for you at the next Popper meeting for your glowing remarks.

Go back and watch the game, if you dare. Griffin went off on everyone the Spurs put on him except for Splitter, who played a whopping 7 minutes! I'm not saying Bonner wasn't shitty . . . he was absolutely shitty, but so was everybody else who tried to guard Griffin. Isolating Bonner for his defense on Griffin is like throwing a rope into a bottomless pit.
Nice job misinterpreting, again. You never fail me, numbnuts.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 09:21 AM
He improvised pretty well the other night in NO. If hes this bad of a coach, why doesn't he get fired? You make him sound like hes Mike Dunleavy SR.

So, you like what Pop did last night?

I like Splitter as a defender, but Splitter would of had a rough night guarding Griffin. No one on the Spurs roster can guard Griffin IMO. Hes a matchup nightmare. There might be a few, maybe less, in the league, that can deal with Griffin's combination of size/strength and quickness. To defend Griffin you need team defense.

That was my point. Exactly. No one on the Spurs defended Griffin well. Isolating Bonner is just dumb.

dunkman
12-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Good that I feel asleep while watching the Lakers game.

ElNono
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Trying to circumscribe Bonner's defensive woes only to Griffin is really a cop-out.

He had his full repertoire of pathetic D on display last night.
Including the now classic backwards walking, arms raised, and1 giving 'defense'.
Slow rotations or lack of rotations entirely. Poor box-outs.

He actually does this on a nightly basis, but normally it gets glossed over because he made some shots. When he's not hitting though, all you're left with is the shit sandwich.

it's me
12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
Bonner F- fuck... that's too much..... Z-

biskvito
12-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm biased as hell, but I can't help feeling very frustrated with Splitter's minutes. He wasn't great this game but I think he made a difference on his few minutes. I'm just hoping it doesn't breaks his confidence.

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
The fact that the Clippers game was indeed a "winnable" one, makes all this even worse. I mean this wasn't a loss to one of the league's top contenders. The Clippers are, once again, one of the worse franchises in the NBA. Meanwhile, Bonner is in his usual midseason "choking" form, and the coach continues to force-feed him minutes, to the detriment of everything and everyone else.

It's strange how Pop will bench anyone, Bonner included, for bad transition defense, but will stubbornly leave him on the court, when matched up against perhaps the most explosive, young PF in the NBA. It's almost like Pop takes some sort of sick pleasure is watching his readheaded, boy-toy, get repeatedly ass-raped by the opposition's frontline players.

TJastal
12-02-2010, 09:56 AM
The fact that the Clippers game was indeed a "winnable" one, makes all this even worse. I mean this wasn't a loss to one of the league's top contenders. The Clippers are, once again, one of the worse franchises in the NBA. Meanwhile, Bonner is in his usual midseason "choking" form, and the coach continues to force-feed him minutes, to the detriment of everything and everyone else.

It's strange how Pop will bench anyone, Bonner included, for bad transition defense, but will stubbornly leave him on the court, when matched up against perhaps the most explosive, young PF in the NBA. It's almost like Pop takes some sort of sick pleasure is watching his readheaded, boy-toy, get repeatedly ass-raped by the opposition's frontline players.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/11/10/28184_boxscore.html

Griffin held to 5-18 shooting in previous game against spurs, sans Bonner. Note: Splitter w/ 16 minutes in this game, Blair 29. Spurs scored 107 pts.

Think Pop would take notes for yesterday's game? Hell naw.

Brazil
12-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Good that I feel asleep while watching the Lakers game.

:lmao same here I felt asleep during the 4th quarter ...

Xevious
12-02-2010, 10:15 AM
I know Splitter was being worked in slowly after missing camp, but it's getting annoying now. Spurs were playing a sub 500 team on a back-to-back, Bonner was ice cold, and Splitter still couldn't hardly crack the rotation. Let him play. He isn't going to help at all down the stretch if his ass is glued to the bench all season.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm sure Chump will have several raspberry cookies earmarked for you at the next Popper meeting for your glowing remarks.I'm sure you were just waiting for another loss to revive this particular line of douchebaggery and put it in the game grades thread. no doubt you'll respond to this with more douchebaggery and ruin another thread.

Sorry the Spurs were winning so much. That shit must gall you to no end.

elbamba
12-02-2010, 10:54 AM
This game is on Pop. He made two huge mistakes and his team responded like anyone would expect.

First, Udoka screwed all of the early momentum. It was like quicksand after that. The Spurs were up like 38-30, when Udoka decided he would display his hidden offensive talent.

Second, Pop was slow to make adjustments in the second quarter. He substituted Jefferson for Udoka once Butler got hot and then decided to have Bonner defend Griffen so that the Clips could continue to score easy baskets. Once Bonner missed three shots Pop should have put Dice or Splitter in the game. His confidence was crap because he was getting abused on defense and his offense took a hit because of this.

After that 5 min span and those two huge mistakes, the Spurs never recovered. Blame gets passed all around, but the Spurs could have won this game but for the second quarter. If you look at their second half runs, it was usually based on Clipper screwups and not on fundementally sound basketball.

Back to Udoka. Its like Pop is trying to show Spurs fans he is still in charge and we can go screw ourselves. This is as bad of a decision as leaving Hill out of the 2008 playoffs against the Mavs or using Bonner as a starter the past couple of years. The Spurs would be better to just drop his spot altogether than keep him on the team.

Agloco
12-02-2010, 10:57 AM
I think that some guys are budgeting their energy quite a bit now. Parker is at the top of the list.

wildbill2u
12-02-2010, 11:07 AM
It was clear that Pop decided to let this game go into the loss column early. You don't win in this league and with this team when three of the Big 3 are on the bench in the 4th quarter when the score was only five down.

I'd be interested to know if Parker and TD were ailing. Parker has played like shit for the past few games compared to the rest of the season. Depression over EVa is not out of the question and this could be a long term situation. Bummer.

Even on a back to back TD should be in good enough condition to play at least some productive minutes. If he is going to collapse completely on the second night of back to backs then the slimming down and conditioning that was so apparent at the beginning of the season was a chimera.

So I believe more was going on than we know.

TJastal
12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I think that some guys are budgeting their energy quite a bit now. Parker is at the top of the list.

You're getting the gist of it now, grasshopper. Pretty soon you'll be a member of the exclusive club.

Cookehs for you.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5279/cookieseb.jpg

Cessation
12-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Splitter should be starting to benefit from Manu and Tony.

And then Blair can have an easier time against back-up bigs.

And Bonner can enjoy DNPs.

man, what a wonderful dream . . .

well put, what a wonderfull fantasy

SenorSpur
12-02-2010, 11:40 AM
It was clear that Pop decided to let this game go into the loss column early. You don't win in this league and with this team when three of the Big 3 are on the bench in the 4th quarter when the score was only five down.

I'd be interested to know if Parker and TD were ailing. Parker has played like shit for the past few games compared to the rest of the season. Depression over EVa is not out of the question and this could be a long term situation. Bummer.

Even on a back to back TD should be in good enough condition to play at least some productive minutes. If he is going to collapse completely on the second night of back to backs then the slimming down and conditioning that was so apparent at the beginning of the season was a chimera.

So I believe more was going on than we know.

If Parker is indeed bummed over his personal life, one could understand that. I wonder what Bonner's excuse is. Perhaps he couldn't find a decent sandwich joint out there in the "City of Angels".

Cessation
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM
no wonder spurs won last clippers game, bonner didnt play!!

objective
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/gameflash/2010/11/10/28184_boxscore.html

Griffin held to 5-18 shooting in previous game against spurs, sans Bonner. Note: Splitter w/ 16 minutes in this game, Blair 29. Spurs scored 107 pts.

Think Pop would take notes for yesterday's game? Hell naw.

that doesn't make any sense.

Anyone on Spurstalk the last month would have learned that the team was at it's best with Splitter getting DNPs and 9-second games and the team was winning.

Splitter has screwed with the team chemistry, and he doesn't spread the floor. He should be sent to Austin.

ChumpDumper
12-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Spurs scored 107 pts.

Bandit2981
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Apparently Parker and Eva had lunch that afternoon while he was in LA...Then he goes out and plays like crap, coincidence?

TJastal
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Pop's "Bonner rules"

#1 rule: Bonner > Splitter. Bonner spreads the floor.
#2 rule: Even when Bonner can't connect, Bonner still > Splitter, *see rule #1*
#3 rule: Pop doesn't like complicated. See rule #1 & stfu

Old School 44
12-02-2010, 01:27 PM
I know it's hindsight, but Pop should have started Splitter or played him heavy minutes. Sort of like what he did with Mahinmi last year against New Jersey.
Ian was so happy to get major minutes and had no pressure of being pulled that he turned in a career game.

rjv
12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
i think too much being put into the concern comments on the preface to the grades. bad games happen and they have happened to all of the good teams more than once this year with the exception of the spurs who encountered their first bad loss of the year. that being said, udoka was terrible and last night was the first time i found myself wishing we had anderson back (actually we could have used him against dallas as well).

Barfunk
12-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I'll continue to keep faith in Bonner in hopes that he go 3-6 or 4-8 on threes on given nights, but Splitter is 25 and there is no reason he shouldn't be getting 30-35 min burn a night. That is it and that is all.

SpursDynasty85
12-02-2010, 02:56 PM
that doesn't make any sense.

Anyone on Spurstalk the last month would have learned that the team was at it's best with Splitter getting DNPs and 9-second games and the team was winning.

Splitter has screwed with the team chemistry, and he doesn't spread the floor. He should be sent to Austin.

Who cares how well the spurs have played. One of the major goals should be to integrate Splitter. With out him a championship is out the window.

Solid D
12-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Gregg Popovich F Playing a cold Bonner 30 minutes was questionable. Having him try to defend Griffin was lunacy.

This, in spades
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxRv2HJ7csw2GzRyf21T3a3CinG18IV t_jg3EuVb3l1GAUJ0XG9Q

Solid D
12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
The Spurs had their limitations last night in LA.

http://www.bloops.org/images/quicksand.jpg

Agloco
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
You're getting the gist of it now, grasshopper. Pretty soon you'll be a member of the exclusive club.

Cookehs for you.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/5279/cookieseb.jpg

I'm sure you were just waiting for another loss to revive this particular line of douchebaggery and put it in the game grades thread. no doubt you'll respond to this with more douchebaggery and ruin another thread.

Sorry the Spurs were winning so much. That shit must gall you to no end.

15-3 .... cookies non-withstanding of course.

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
The Spurs had their limitations last night in LA.

http://www.bloops.org/images/quicksand.jpg

Hey, where all the white women?

td4mvp21
12-02-2010, 05:44 PM
It's just disgusting watching Bonner get so many minutes, and at the expense of Splitter and McDyess. I can't stand it.

phxspurfan
12-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Why didn't Pop play Splitter instead of Duncan? If we went with a younger group, we may still have lost but they would have gained experience. Playing Duncan on B2Bs is not going to work. He should know that.

temujin
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Yet another season in which the Spurs can't go 80-2.
Damn losers.

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Why didn't Pop play Splitter instead of Duncan? If we went with a younger group, we may still have lost but they would have gained experience. Playing Duncan on B2Bs is not going to work. He should know that.

Probably because Duncan gives the Spurs the best chance of winning, which is what the Spurs wanted to do last night I'm sure.

SpursDynasty85
12-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Probably because Duncan gives the Spurs the best chance of winning, which is what the Spurs wanted to do last night I'm sure.

Hindsight is 20/20. Duncan played miserably. Bonner played miserably. Mcdyess wasn't going to carry us. It was obvious for about 90% of the spurs fans watching that the spurs needed younger fresher legs to compete in this game. What makes the Bonner situation worse is that last night he was exposed of his flaws more than any other time because his teammates were tired.. Bonner had no excuse to look bad, he played 15 minutes the night before. When the whole team looked terrible, Bonner still stuck out like a sore thumb. Bonner was exposed to the extent that Spur's fans watching the game were spewing Bonner hate more than anyother time in December games. Last night should be proof, that Bonner cannot be relied upon as a major player for the spurs. And IMO, Splitter looked much better than Bonner. Although Splitter looked like he was trying too much, it was a refreshing sign to see at least he knows the Spurs are in desperate need of his help.

TD 21
12-02-2010, 07:11 PM

McDyess, Splitter and Jefferson, are the Spurs best bets against Griffin. Bonner has no chance to cause him any trouble. Splitter's length combined with his mobility has a shot to cause some problems. But going with size and defense in tough match-ups is never the answer with this coach. The opposite is.

The fact that Splitter barely played should tell us all we need to know about how Pop views him. He doesn't view him as the guy who you put on the mobile, face-up four types, he views him strictly as Duncan's (part time) backup. That's it. He'll eventually play more, but if anyone thinks there's going to come a point this season where he's starting and playing 25-30 mpg, then they're flat out either not paying attention or in denial. It isn't happening. At this point, let's just hope he's in the playoff rotation because even that isn't assured.

That's why I keep saying Pop is the biggest impediment to this team winning the championship this season.

angelbelow
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Bonners effectiveness largely depends on his confidence. When Bonner is happy and loose, hes confident. However, when you put an animal like Griffin in the ring and expect Bonner to try and slow him down, his confidence is going to get squashed. The fact that Griffin was shitty on Bonner on the defensive end probably affected Bonners offensive game. Again, this is not Bonner's fault, there is no reasonable basketball fan thats going to expect Bonner to slow Griffin down. Therefore, like many have mentioned, Coach Pop should have made some adjustments. Not only for the sake of trying to slow Griffin down, but to preserve a happy and confident Bonner.

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 07:29 PM
McDyess, Splitter and Jefferson, are the Spurs best bets against Griffin. Bonner has no chance to cause him any trouble. Splitter's length combined with his mobility has a shot to cause some problems. But going with size and defense in tough match-ups is never the answer with this coach. The opposite is.

The fact that Splitter barely played should tell us all we need to know about how Pop views him. He doesn't view him as the guy who you put on the mobile, face-up four types, he views him strictly as Duncan's (part time) backup. That's it. He'll eventually play more, but if anyone thinks there's going to come a point this season where he's starting and playing 25-30 mpg, then they're flat out either not paying attention or in denial. It isn't happening. At this point, let's just hope he's in the playoff rotation because even that isn't assured.

That's why I keep saying Pop is the biggest impediment to this team winning the championship this season.

I see Splitter as a good player, very skilled, good foot work, good BBIQ. But I also see a guy that needs to get stronger. IMO, Spitter has good mobility, average strength. But to think that Splitter is goona be the reason we will, or won't win the championship is complete and utter ludicrously, as well as Pop being the reason the Spurs do not win the championship this year.

TD 21
12-02-2010, 07:52 PM
The Spurs can't beat the Lakers without Splitter being no worse than their third big. It's that simple. His numbers will likely still be pedestrian, even if he is the second or third big, but his impact and value will go beyond the box score. That's his importance to this team winning the championship this season.

If Pop won't give him that chance (and it's looking more and more like he won't), then when this team inevitably fails, probably at the hands of the Lakers, the burden will fall squarely on Pop because he wouldn't have given his team their best chance to accomplish their goal.

itzsoweezee
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Lol @ the consistent hating on Blair.

jjktkk
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM
The Spurs can't beat the Lakers without Splitter being no worse than their third big. It's that simple. His numbers will likely still be pedestrian, even if he is the second or third big, but his impact and value will go beyond the box score. That's his importance to this team winning the championship this season.

If Pop won't give him that chance (and it's looking more and more like he won't), then when this team inevitably fails, probably at the hands of the Lakers, the burden will fall squarely on Pop because he wouldn't have given his team their best chance to accomplish their goal.

Why don't you try alittle patience with your glum predictions of Splitter. Only one month into the season, and your already decided that Pop will keep Splitter glued to the bench for the rest of the season and playoffs. Splitter's minutes should only go up as he gains more expierence. You also seem to be putting some high expectations on Splitter. If Splitter doesn't average at least 20 minutes a game, it will be deemed a failure? Splitter could very well average that. Splitter should be useful against the bigger teams, like the Lakers down the road, but do you really expect Splitter to dominate against the likes of Gasol, and Bynum? Although Splitter is not your typical rookie, he is still a rookie, and rookies typically are prone to having up and down performances thruout their rookie year.

Spurologist
12-03-2010, 12:46 AM

how so? Bonner was mostly missing on open jumpers.

chazley
12-03-2010, 01:29 AM

I didn't say he can't be, but he shouldn't be. And even if he is, I don't care. He needs to be the guy carrying this team more often than not. Especially in situations like this. Second game of a back to back, playing a shit team, clearly Duncan and Ginobili didn't have it.

Ginobili is 33 and also has a lot of mileage on his legs. What's your point? I don't find fatigue is the issue with Parker, it's more so he's the type who's energy and all around game suffers when he's not a major part of the offense. Right now, he's almost relegated to being a spot up shooter because it's all Ginobili, all the time.

Fresh or not, this was a very winnable game. No excuses. That type of loser attitude will have this team as a 3 seed by the end of the season instead of a 1 seed, which is clearly there for the taking.

Harlem, it's clear this coach isn't serious about being a defensive team again. He proved it again tonight. He'd rather rely on three-point shooting than defense. That's why he's the biggest impediment to this team winning a championship this season. That type of philosophy will have this team eliminated at the hands of the Lakers, if they even get to them.

This post is fuckin great, except for last paragraph.

chazley
12-03-2010, 01:31 AM

And then you go and say this.

Man In Black
12-03-2010, 02:00 AM

You say that, yet when Pop traded to get Nazr in January for the 05 run, he got a defensive big with less physical ability that Splitter and played him all the way to the title. It's early December. Splitter had to miss camp, he played all year with his previous ACB team and then the entire World Championship run to elimination. Perhaps he's letting Splitter get his legs underneath him for his longest season EVER? A NBA season is much, much longer than the ACB and Euroleague plus they get breaks in between.

I don't think Pop views him like you say he does. I just think that Pop isn't willing to reveal anything until he's good and ready to do when it's to the team's advantage. The Spurs are 15-3 and that last loss sucked but hey....did you notice that the Spurs are 15-3?

jjktkk
12-03-2010, 02:32 AM
You say that, yet when Pop traded to get Nazr in January for the 05 run, he got a defensive big with less physical ability that Splitter and played him all the way to the title. It's early December. Splitter had to miss camp, he played all year with his previous ACB team and then the entire World Championship run to elimination. Perhaps he's letting Splitter get his legs underneath him for his longest season EVER? A NBA season is much, much longer than the ACB and Euroleague plus they get breaks in between.

I don't think Pop views him like you say he does. I just think that Pop isn't willing to reveal anything until he's good and ready to do when it's to the team's advantage. The Spurs are 15-3 and that last loss sucked but hey....did you notice that the Spurs are 15-3?

+1. It just seems that some folks are alittle impatient with Splitter's limited minutes so far. IMO, Splitter's mintues will continue to increase, to the point that Splitter will be a top reserve come playoff time. Maybe even start some games.

smeagol
12-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Lol @ the consistent hating on Blair.

Lol@ monday morning paper baskeball commentators

TD 21
12-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Why don't you try alittle patience with your glum predictions of Splitter. Only one month into the season, and your already decided that Pop will keep Splitter glued to the bench for the rest of the season and playoffs. Splitter's minutes should only go up as he gains more expierence. You also seem to be putting some high expectations on Splitter. If Splitter doesn't average at least 20 minutes a game, it will be deemed a failure? Splitter could very well average that. Splitter should be useful against the bigger teams, like the Lakers down the road, but do you really expect Splitter to dominate against the likes of Gasol, and Bynum? Although Splitter is not your typical rookie, he is still a rookie, and rookies typically are prone to having up and down performances thruout their rookie year.

Why do you feel the need to be an apologist? Open your eyes. It's clear as day that they don't view Splitter as Duncan's sidekick, but rather his part time backup. If they viewed him as his sidekick, we'd have seen them play alongside each other at least semi-regularly. Instead, they go out of their way to keep them apart.

I'm not putting high expectations on Splitter or expecting him to dominate Gasol or Bynum. Once again, you've failed to comprehend what I said. All I'm saying is, Splitter has to be the third big come playoff time because he has a much better chance at adequately defending Gasol than Blair or Bonner. He can also help take some of the pressure off of Duncan to be basically the sole rim protector.

This post is fuckin great, except for last paragraph.

I know . . . I love my work.

Things were different then. January of '05 was before May of '06, when Pop suffered head trauma. Also, the Spurs didn't have the same caliber of options in the front court that they do now. Now, there's four other rotation caliber bigs.

I don't think Pop views him that way, either, I know he does. All you have to do is listen to him speak, but even more importantly, pay attention to his actions. At what point, so far, has his reaction to the Spurs struggling with certain bigs been, "let's go bigger and more defensive"? It's been the exact opposite every time. He wouldn't even play Splitter on Nowitzki and outside of Gasol, I can't think of a more logical match-up for him.

I don't care if they were 18-0, there's some troubling signs. Most notably, the mentality of this coach.

+1. It just seems that some folks are alittle impatient with Splitter's limited minutes so far. IMO, Splitter's mintues will continue to increase, to the point that Splitter will be a top reserve come playoff time. Maybe even start some games.

When? The time to get him acclimated and comfortable is now. Not if/when this team runs into the Lakers in the playoffs. It's not rocket science, but at the same time, you want players to have chemistry and familiarity with one another. It's been so long since Duncan's played with a big like Splitter, he's probably forgotten what it's like. You can't keep them apart all season, then expect them to all of a sudden fit seamlessly together in a playoff series against the Lakers, when they've played a whole five minutes together all season.

On top of that, this is the same coach who always talks about rookies needing to learn their opponents tendencies. How is Splitter supposed to do that if he isn't going to be given the chance?

TJastal
12-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I think some of these popsuckers just fantasize that Splitter is going to magically morph into greatness in one or 2 games in the playoffs and go on to dominate.

Gotta love these delusional fools. :lmao

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 07:22 PM
You think Splitter will dominate in the NBA?

quentin_compson
12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
You think Splitter will dominate in the NBA?

I don't think a lot of people expect him to dominate, especially not this early on in his NBA career. But in my opinion, Splitter is potentially the best defensive big alongside Duncan the Spurs have had in a long time, probably even since D-Rob retired.
In the first couple of games, Splitter clearly was out of shape and Pop did the right thing in limiting his playing time. Right now, I'm not so sure anymore. Riding Dice too much in the RS will probably result in him being not fresh enough in the playoffs, while riding Bonner too much is a failure in any way you might wanna look at it. Splitter has to play a comparatively big role in order for the Spurs to have a shot in the playoffs, and the time he should start logging more minutes is now. Barring any physical condition we don't know about, there is no excuse for Pop in my mind to not play Tiago more.

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Play him 48 a game. Nothing bad could possibly happen.

quentin_compson
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Play him 48 a game. Nothing bad could possibly happen.

Sorry, but you're acting like an 8 year-old right now. I know you're much smarter than that.

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Sorry, but you're acting like an 8 year-old right now. I know you're much smarter than that.Why could he not play 48 minutes a game?

He's 25 years old for chrissakes.

quentin_compson
12-03-2010, 08:15 PM
No one is saying he should play 48 a game, and I'm aware of his injury-history. How 'bout 20 a game instead of 12, for starters? Would you deem that too risky?

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 08:16 PM
So you're saying there might be a limit on the minutes Splitter could reasonably play?

angelbelow
12-03-2010, 08:19 PM
So you're saying there might be a limit on the minutes Splitter could reasonably play?

Why stop at 48 minutes, play him for the entire 2 hours, during commercial breaks, halftime, timeouts, just make him consistently run plays during those times.

quentin_compson
12-03-2010, 08:32 PM

Look, if you don't wanna discuss this seriously (not with me, at least), that's fine.

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Look, if you don't wanna discuss this seriously (not with me, at least), that's fine.I am discussing this seriously.

It's difficult to get anyone to concede even the most obvious point.

As for what I would do -- can't really say. It's tough to guess how much would be too much -- for me anyway. I'm not an experienced pro coach and medical doctor like everyone else here.

Pauleta14
12-03-2010, 08:54 PM
a

quentin_compson
12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I am discussing this seriously.

It's difficult to get anyone to concede even the most obvious point.

As for what I would do -- can't really say. It's tough to guess how much would be too much -- for me anyway. I'm not an experienced pro coach and medical doctor like everyone else here.

Maybe there is something wrong with Splitter that we don't know about right now. What's bugging me is that it isn't something you could detect from seeing him moving on the court in the last couple of games. As I already said, at the beginning of the season, you could clearly see he was gassed after about ten minutes. But this didn't seem to be the case more recently.
To me, it looks like Pop is going really slow with him getting more minutes. If that turns out to be not true out of basketball philosophy but because there are some health issues, hey, I'll be happy to eat crow. :toast