PDA

View Full Version : Texas to Replace Davis?

leemajors
12-02-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2010/12/2/1850876/report-texas-will-replace-greg-davis-as-offensive-coordinator

Multiple sources have confirmed this morning that the Longhorns will replace Greg Davis as offensive coordinator.
Since then, other outlets have picked up the news, including Orangebloods publishing the story on their website, along with the Dallas Morning News and CBS Sports picking up Ketchum's original report. In other words, there hasn't been any confirmation from other news outlets at this time, so this certainly isn't a done deal, especially since the university is yet to make an official announcement.

The Reckoning
12-02-2010, 01:09 PM
there is a God in heaven. hopefully the next headline will be "Texas to Replace Gilbert?"

DesignatedT
12-02-2010, 01:26 PM
damn

TFloss32
12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Hey fellas...can't post the link right now because the site is down at the moment, but Recruitocosm posted last night that the Board of Regents had met unoffcially to discuss a big money hire at OC (Gus Malzahn, Dana Holgorsen, etc.) and that Greg Davis is going to most likely be reassigned to another position within the program. This news is about 10 years in the making! Whoever they hire will hopefully provide a much needed momentum swing in the Longhorns' favor. Looks like the only coaches who have job security on the offensive side of the ball are Major Applewhite and TE coach Bruce Chambers.

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/02/coordinator-level-changes-big-cigar/

ColinB
12-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Is Brown next?

Or will I have to live with the Gilbert love fest for the next two years I attend UT?

I guess I can dream.

benefactor
12-03-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey fellas...can't post the link right now because the site is down at the moment, but Recruitocosm posted last night that the Board of Regents had met unoffcially to discuss a big money hire at OC (Gus Malzahn, Dana Holgorsen, etc.) and that Greg Davis is going to most likely be reassigned to another position within the program. This news is about 10 years in the making! Whoever they hire will hopefully provide a much needed momentum swing in the Longhorns' favor. Looks like the only coaches who have job security on the offensive side of the ball are Major Applewhite and TE coach Bruce Chambers.

http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2010/12/02/coordinator-level-changes-big-cigar/
This makes sense. Texas gets a new OC and Brown gets to keep his buddy on the payroll. Everyone wins.

johngateswhiteley
12-03-2010, 05:56 AM
1) Brown is going, nowhere

2) I'll believe the Davis firing when I see it

TFloss32
12-03-2010, 11:10 AM
Is Brown next?

Or will I have to live with the Gilbert love fest for the next two years I attend UT?

I guess I can dream.

Mack Brown is married to Garrett Gilbert. Kid was deemed the future starter for UT while he was a junior at Lake Travis. Maybe with a new OC coming in there might actually be a genuine QB competition in the Spring. Double edged sword, though. Keep Gilbert under center because he knows what to expect and you hope he improves despite his horrid decision making and the fact that he can't see (seriously...coaches have said he has vision issues) or replace him with Connor Wood/Case McCoy who haven't taken a single meaningful snap. I think incoming freshman David Ash might be better than all of them.

I think Mack Brown has two years left at the most. Greg Davis isn't being fired, just "reassigned." He won't be calling the plays for UT next year.

TFloss32
12-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Here's another story that serves as sort of a "cheat sheet" for who UT could be looking at as the next OC. Seems as if Dana Holgorsen is (or was) the top choice, but his lifestyle may keep him from getting a serious look. Remember, he's a product of the Mike Leach coaching tree. He's a little different in the head and apparently is known for frequenting the bars and hittin' some co-ed ass. I think Texas could use some "swag."

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2010/12/02/our-new-offensive-coordinator-will-be/

samikeyp
12-03-2010, 11:18 AM

This.

Mack will leave when he wants to.

Vito Corleone
12-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Is Brown next?

I guess I can dream.

Brown has earned the right to bow out as he sees fit, when he chooses because he has done more for the University than any other coach not named Darrel K Royal.

The fact that you are currently attending Texas tells me your too young to remember life without Brown. Let me just say that between 84 and 97 it wasn't a great time to be a Longhorn.

TFloss32
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Here is the offical confirmation on Greg Davis' resignation:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2010/12/06/breaking_davis.html?cxntcid=breaking_news

benefactor
12-06-2010, 12:41 PM
What a beautiful day.

symple19
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
I might cry if another AU coordinator leaves for UT, lol

DMX7
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Smart move to let him go. I don't know if there's an obvious choice to replace him though.

johngateswhiteley
12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
wow, i'm surprised.

ColinB
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Brown has earned the right to bow out as he sees fit, when he chooses because he has done more for the University than any other coach not named Darrel K Royal.

The fact that you are currently attending Texas tells me your too young to remember life without Brown. Let me just say that between 84 and 97 it wasn't a great time to be a Longhorn.

My post was made in jest and a slight on Brown in his undeniable relentlessness to more than likely keep Gilbert the starter.

I agree with another poster bringing up Ash as probably their best bet. Although I would be very surprised to see anyone other than Gilbert throughout the season, of course barring injury.

ThePop
12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
A lot of people keep mentioning Ash, what about Wood and McCoy? Is Ash better?

Blake
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM

good post :tu

Blake
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM

I will sob if another Leach protege goes to another Big XII school other than Tech.

TFloss32
12-07-2010, 10:31 AM

I feel you, Symple. It definitely seems like Texas just cherry picks from Auburn whenever they're in need of a coordinator. I don't think you'll have to worry, though. It looks like Auburn will open up their checkbook to keep Malzahn (especially if they win the MNC). The consensus seems to be that Texas would like someone who will stick around for at least two years while helping bring Major Applewhite along. I think Will Muschamp would be on board with hiring Malzahn because he's an SEC guy, but I think some bridges between Mack Brown and Malzahn were burned a while back when Malzahn was at Springdale HS in Arkansas. Texas wanted Springdale QB Mitch Mustain badly but many accused Malzahn of pushing him and others to Arkansas in hopes of getting the Arkansas OC job (which he ended up getting the following year). I still think Malzahn is in the running, but I'm not sure he's a top tier candidate at this point. Mack Brown probably doesn't want to touch anything that has connections to Cam Newton anyway.

A lot of people keep mentioning Ash, what about Wood and McCoy? Is Ash better?

I'm one who thinks David Ash has the potential to be better than all of those guys. Considering Garrett Gilbert will be the starter as long as Mack Brown is around, I hope Texas is smart and redshirts Ash when he comes in.

Smart move to let him go. I don't know if there's an obvious choice to replace him though.

As of today, it looks like the top two guys are Bryan Harsin (Boise State) and Chad Morris (Tulsa). The second tier guys appear to be Gus Malzahn (Auburn) and Dana Holgorsen (Okie State). For those that don't know, Chad Morris coached Garrett Gilbert at Lake Travis. Not sure I like the idea of having him come in and creating a conflict of interest. Major Applewhite would be your dark horse for the job.

I will sob if another Leach protege goes to another Big XII school other than Tech.

I think Texas is steering clear of Holgorsen because of his party boy image. Heard he loves the bottle and the co-eds. I don't think Mack Brown wants a Mike Leach protege having influence over his "family atmosphere." I've read Florida is hot for him right now even though an article came out yesterday stating that they were retaining Steve Addazio as their OC. Urban Meyer didn't sound too convincing when he said that about Addazio, but we'll see what happens.