PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Songs Of The 1990s: November Rain WTF?

PM5K
12-02-2010, 04:03 PM
So KSAT has a list of the worst songs of the 90's and while I agree with a bunch, how on earth they managed to put November Rain into that category is beyond my comprehension.

I'm not sure who made the list but I think they suffer from mild occasional retardation.

LINK (http://www.ksat.com/slideshow/entertainment/13714219/detail.html)

LnGrrrR
12-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Eh, I think November Rain is a bit overrated. Definitely doesn't belong in "Worst songs" but it's not some amazing song, imho

Fpoonsie
12-02-2010, 04:22 PM
"November Rain" is overplayed, but not at all a "bad" song.

"Let Her Cry" is STILL great (Hootie all around couldn't miss in the 90s). As is "Whoomp (There it is)" if you've got enough bass to support it.

PM5K
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not saying it's great by any stretch, I'm not even a huge fan of Guns N Roses, but to put it on a list with Achy Breaky Heart?

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:29 PM
That other G'N'R song is way worse . . . the one where Axl is swimming with dolphins in the video.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Never been crazy about Guns. I'll sleep nice and cozy tonight though.

SA210
12-02-2010, 04:32 PM
November Rain is one of the best songs of the 90's. WTF!

IronMexican
12-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Thread hijack ahead.

Best song of the 90's:

t0dJqlvOSq4

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Thread hijack ahead.

Best song of the 90's:

Try again . . .

TTL8HREgE1w&feature=related

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:48 PM
EFWsGa88APM

balli
12-02-2010, 04:49 PM
I really like GNR and really don't like November Rain. It's all about Estranged, Rocket Queen, Civil War and Get in the Ring. Good choice of song to hate on imo.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
I really like GNR and really don't like November Rain. It's all about Estranged, Rocket Queen, Civil War and Get in the Ring. Good choice of song to hate on imo.

All terrible. All worse than November Rain.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:52 PM
And . . . Rocket Queen is the worst song on Appetite.

IronMexican
12-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Loveless. Great fucking album.

I dig Wilco, though everything after YHF hasn't been good.

balli
12-02-2010, 04:55 PM
November Rain is smarmy, sentimental crap. I guess Estranged is too, but I think it sounds better. Especially that 'well I jumped into the river, too many times to make it home' part.

And Slash's opening lick to Get in the Ring is as good as it gets. And I enjoy the rest of the song for being misanthropic.

balli
12-02-2010, 04:56 PM

You're crazy.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Loveless. Great fucking album.

YHF is great, but I disagree. A Ghost is Born is phenomenal. Probably my favorite.

ohmwrecker
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
You're Crazy is a much better song than Rocket Queen.

fify

balli
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
lol

eisfeld
12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
That list is really debateable.
Hell even Ugly Kid Joe with Cat's in the Cradle isn't that bad.

4>0rings
12-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Naughty by Nature? OPP worst song? :lol

monosylab1k
12-02-2010, 06:06 PM

Now we have the dumb opinion.

A Ghost Is Born is terrific. Sky Blue Sky obviously pissed off all the hipsters because Wilco decided to replace masturbatory fake-artsyness with masturbatory guitar solos, but it's still a pretty good album and Impossible Germany is the best song Wilco's ever done. And their lastest one is pretty damn good too.

monosylab1k
12-02-2010, 06:09 PM
also putting Make Em Say Ugghhh on there is when the list lost all credibility.

IronMexican
12-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Thats you're opinion, brah. Be cool if they did something as good as Sumerteeth or YHF, though.

IronMexican
12-02-2010, 06:14 PM
And I was hoping you'd bring out my troll and talk about how we only listen to lo-fi 90's revival.

The Reckoning
12-02-2010, 06:47 PM
its funny because the worst 90's songs would be the best 00's songs

Spurminator
12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
"Barbie Girl" isn't on the list, so this list automatically fails.

Others:
Collective Soul - "Shine"
4 Non Blondes - "What's Up"
Creed - "My Own Prison"

And fuck them for including "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips. Liars. Everyone likes that song.

IronMexican
12-02-2010, 07:01 PM
crofl Hipster isn't your troll tbh

I was talking about your troll mocking me. Bad play of words on my part.

Fpoonsie
12-02-2010, 11:43 PM

:wow

Bitechur fuckin' tongue...

dirk4mvp
12-03-2010, 01:09 AM

Rocket Queen is a strange way to say Out Ta Get Me.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-03-2010, 01:24 AM
NRtvqT_wMeY

SjJwqDa1QVI

Spurminator
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
:wow

Bitechur fuckin' tongue...

I could never stand the guitar tone on that song. Just torture on the ears, to say nothing of his voice.

monosylab1k
12-03-2010, 02:16 PM
tbh collective soul might have been the worst band of the 90's. Them or Korn.

Technique
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Limp Bizkit was the shit in the 90s and early 2000s, they're in denial.

monosylab1k
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Limp Bizkit was the shit in the 90s and early 2000s, they're in denial.

:lol

Drachen
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I disagree with many on that list. I honestly think that it was made by some young intern. Young, as in, someone who wasn't listening to music when these songs came out. Then they picked up a "hits of the 90's album" and listened to those and decided which ones they didn't like.

I can't STAND Guns N' Roses, but even I will admit that November Rain shouldn't sniff a "worst songs of the 90's list."

The only one that I think they got 100% correct was "anything by limp bizkit" :lol
I probably also agree with tubthumper
there are a few others too, but damn this is a horrible list.

Ugly kid joe actually did a good rendition of cats in the cradle (I think)
You can't put any Hootie song on a worst songs list

ChumpDumper
12-03-2010, 03:36 PM
"Barbie Girl" isn't on the list, so this list automatically fails.

Others:
4 Non Blondes - "What's Up"
Creed - "My Own Prison"

And fuck them for including "Hold On" by Wilson Phillips. Liars. Everyone likes that song.:lol

Agreed.

"Rain" is probably the worst gnr hit ever though. Twice as long as it should be and the cheesy synth patches ruin any desire to actively choose to listen to it.

I guess folks are guilty for liking Hootie so much back then. Still trying to figure out why.

IronMexican
12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
6Zbi0XmGtMw

Nothing comes close.

Strike
12-03-2010, 04:07 PM
That other G'N'R song is way worse . . . the one where Axl is swimming with dolphins in the video.

Disagree. Good song stigmatized by a shitty video. Between "November Rain" and "Estranged", "Estranged" is the superior song, in my opinion.

LnGrrrR
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
tbh collective soul might have been the worst band of the 90's. Them or Korn.

Gotta go with collective soul. They didn't know wtf they wanted to be.

ohmwrecker
12-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Disagree. Good song stigmatized by a shitty video. Between "November Rain" and "Estranged", "Estranged" is the superior song, in my opinion.

Well, you are right about the video being shitty, but the song is not good imo. It's just too long and boring. There are no dynamics, no peaks and no chorus. It's like a guitar solo with lyrics.

ohmwrecker
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Rocket Queen is a strange way to say Out Ta Get Me.

They are both pretty bad tbh.

ohmwrecker
12-03-2010, 08:12 PM
You can't put any Hootie song on a worst songs list

I beg to differ . . . "I Only Want To Be With You" is, quite possibly, the worst song ever written.

MannyIsGod
12-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Korn is the worst band of the 90s for me. Fucking hated that bullshit. Collective Soul was bad but they had a couple of OK songs.

dirk4mvp
12-03-2010, 09:36 PM
They are both pretty bad tbh.

rocket queen is pretty great tbh. funny how the guy who's gf got fucked during that song is begging every day for a reunion.

Nathan Explosion
12-03-2010, 09:52 PM
"Let Her Cry" is STILL great (Hootie all around couldn't miss in the 90s).

I am not a Hootie fan by any stretch of the imagination. Just didn't like anything they produced. But earlier this year, satellite radio put "Let Her Cry" into the rotation for about a month, so I heard this song every other day for about a month.

In the end I told our Coke merchandiser at the time (also not a fan) that I was growing to like the song and he just responds "Yeah. It plays all the time and before you know it, you like it."

Oh, and anything by Limp Bizkit? They may not be your cup of tea, but "Rearranged" was easily their best song and something that you would have never thought they could have produced. May not be in the "best" category, but doesn't belong in the worst either.

As for November Rain. It doesn't need to be said. I thought it was a good song (not GnR's best). This list has all kinds of fail, and November Rain may be on the top of the list of fail.

Johnny_Blaze_47
12-04-2010, 01:23 AM
I would just like to say that there are but a few good people at Internet Broadcasting and I hope the one person I still like from the St. Paul office didn't do that slideshow.

I hope IB goes bankrupt. Soon.

Strike
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I beg to differ . . . "I Only Want To Be With You" is, quite possibly, the worst song ever written.

Well, we may disagree on "Estranged", but I definitely agree with you here. That shit-tastic Hootie song may be the suckiest amount of suck in the history of suck.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I am not a Hootie fan by any stretch of the imagination. Just didn't like anything they produced. But earlier this year, satellite radio put "Let Her Cry" into the rotation for about a month, so I heard this song every other day for about a month.

In the end I told our Coke merchandiser at the time (also not a fan) that I was growing to like the song and he just responds "Yeah. It plays all the time and before you know it, you like it."

Yeah, "90's on 9" on Sirius plays it PRETTY much every other fucking song. Kinda annoyed me once I got Sat Radio that they still have such a condensed playlist, just like reg radio, only sans commercials. Ah, well.

I really don't understand the hate for Collective Soul. I mean, so what if they "could never figure out what they were", I still enjoy songs like "Run", "December", "The World I Know"...[shrug]

Spurminator
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I thought most of Collective Soul's stuff was okay radio filler for its time. Never would have bought a CD, but there was a lot worse on the air in the 90's. But "Shine" was way overplayed.

Spurminator
12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
uIbXvaE39wM

Seriously, this song kicks ass.

Drachen
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
uIbXvaE39wM

Seriously, this song kicks ass.

so does this one...

liT8cILFAV4

And the girls are a hell of a lot sexier.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll see you, Drach, and I'll raise you...

fpBCHE1Pbss

Not gonna lie, when no one's around, I'll sing the shit outta this song...

Spurminator
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
"Free Your Mind" ftw, tbh

I CAN'T CHANGE YO MIIIND... YOU CAN'T CHANGE MAH CULLUH!

Drachen
12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
I'll see you, Drach, and I'll raise you...

fpBCHE1Pbss

Not gonna lie, when no one's around, I'll sing the shit outta this song...

Fpoonsie, Spurminator well if we are playing this game, then hell, I got the trump card in hand and I am going to play it to end it right here and now.

y2RKb1R7jM0

baby makin music right there.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Damn. Whatever happened to these kindsa' groups? Buncha black chicks that could sing their well-rounded asses off...

Spurminator
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
White girls are more marketable and the general public can't tell autotune when they hear it.

Drachen
12-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I want to know what happened specifically with en vogue, they brought it.... every song.

Drachen
12-04-2010, 05:23 PM
White girls are more marketable and the general public can't tell autotune when they hear it.

I guess that this conversation will eventually devolve into this question, so I will just lay it down right now.

Why is there no more good music?
LOL

I did hear a song on the radio about a year ago and at the beginning of the song I got excited, I thought en vogue got back together. It was alicia keys though. I can't remember the name of the song, but I liked it.

Fpoonsie
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Well, as big of a 90s fan that I am, I hafta admit that it seemed to be the beginning of the less substance/more style wave. The sudden influx of boy bands, Spears/Moores/Simpsons was an obvious sign of things to come.

There's still talent out there, but it tends to get overshadowed by the marketability, which is why Alicia Keyes has no problem changing the words of her "New Yooooork" song to "All Staaaaar" just to make a few extra bucks...

Nathan Explosion
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM

Damn. Whatever happened to these kindsa' groups? Buncha black chicks that could sing their well-rounded asses off...

They had one of those recently, they were called Destiny's Child. Problem was, one of them was much better looking and more talented than the other two. That's what happens though.

Different style, but same result had to be Eminem and D12.

Drachen
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
They had one of those recently, they were called Destiny's Child. Problem was, one of them was much better looking and more talented than the other two. That's what happens though.

Different style, but same result had to be Eminem and D12.

funny thing, I find kelly rowland to be better looking than beyonce

Nathan Explosion
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
funny thing, I find kelly rowland to be better looking than beyonce

Hell no. I'm not really into black chicks because I'm not really into dark skinned girls period. I tend to favor lighter skinned girls. Having said that, if you're hot, it doesn't matter how dark you are.

And if Beyonce ever came up to me and invited me up to her room, I'd be there in half a heartbeat. She is too hot.

baseline bum
12-04-2010, 07:30 PM
All About the Benjamins doesn't deserve to be on there; most of the song was horrible and had a shitty beat, but Biggie's verse at the end was solid. If you want the worst Puff Daddy garbage, it's gotta be this:

NmHMcKN8xlI

How the hell can you have the balls to sample "The Message" and then make such a piece of shit on top of that classic beat?

ohmwrecker
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Most of the songs on that list have no business being defended by anyone. They are, for the most part, all terrible. Some of you people have awful taste.

CuckingFunt
12-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Most of the songs on that list have no business being defended by anyone. They are, for the most part, all terrible. Some of you people have awful taste.

Agreed.

Though I'm not sure why Big Mountain's cover of "Baby, I Love Your Way" would be singled out for such a list. Seems an obscure choice. Not because it's great or anything, it's not, but just because... really, does anyone even remember that song for being anything other than a quick background tune in Reality Bites? It's a serviceable cover of a cheesy song that was immediately forgotten by everyone on the planet EXCEPT whoever put it on this list.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I finally checked out the link. November Rain actually fit in quite well. :tu Amen, to Mr. Big's tune. I think I started hating that tune immediately after the first 10 millionth time they played it on the radio. The rest of that album is pretty good, if that means anything around here.

Spurminator
12-05-2010, 01:21 AM

You forgot to say "except for the Wilson Phillips one." I'll forgive you this time.

Darrin
12-05-2010, 10:26 PM
v35fWf1CWFQ

Anything Spice Girls is up there.