PDA

View Full Version : Best Gyms in San Antonio

Sausage
12-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Thinking about joining up a gym within the next few weeks, preferably around 281/1604. The obvious choice is Lifetime Fitness, I heard they had a good discount for college students that I'm going to look into. I like the fact that they are 24/7 and have a basketball court, anything else like that around the area that's worth looking into?

The Reckoning
12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
if you go to UTSA the rec center is better than UT's

The_Worlds_finest
12-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Rec Center at UTSA. If not a student there, check out fitness 19, it has all the meat and potatoes of a good gym. No gravy toppings of sauna, bball court, shower, laundry, etc....but the cost of $9 month to month is hard to argue. Go get em tiger!

jason54858
12-03-2010, 01:43 AM
You mean to tell me San Antonio has gyms?

Sausage
12-03-2010, 07:16 AM
You mean to tell me San Antonio has gyms?

Touche.

JackLalanne
12-03-2010, 09:05 AM
A home gym has always been my choice.

BlackSwordsMan
12-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Planet fitness. You're not allowed to deadlift or make eye contact with people. Also if you're too loud a noise alarm goes off. Also its pizza day every monday -- tootsie roll every tuesday! Awesome gym.

BlairForceDejuan
12-03-2010, 09:41 AM
if you go to UTSA the rec center is better than UT's

yep, utsa rec is stacked

Lifetime at The Rim looks like a gd fortress :wow

BlairForceDejuan
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Planet fitness. You're not allowed to deadlift or make eye contact with people. Also if you're too loud a noise alarm goes off. Also its pizza day every monday -- tootsie roll every tuesday! Awesome gym.

:lol Anything with a "lunk alarm" is not allowed to call itself a gym. Judgement Free Zone!

The_Worlds_finest
12-03-2010, 10:00 AM
How does not having free weights make for a judgement free zone?

BlairForceDejuan
12-03-2010, 10:28 AM
That's their motto. :lol

ashbeeigh
12-03-2010, 11:31 AM
The closet Planet Fitness to 281/1604 is Nacodoches and 35 too. They're more of a "let's put gyms in the ghetto" type gym. They just opened one on commerce and general mcmullen. They also don't have classes. The closet thing you'll get to a class is their "free fitness instruction" which is some woman following you around telling you to do reps on a machine. I go to the PF on 410/McCulough often, but mostly for the treadmill and ellipitical. I'll occassionally do the 30 minute workout..but if you're looking for something serious PF isn't it.

mrsmaalox
12-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Thinking about joining up a gym within the next few weeks, preferably around 281/1604. The obvious choice is Lifetime Fitness, I heard they had a good discount for college students that I'm going to look into. I like the fact that they are 24/7 and have a basketball court, anything else like that around the area that's worth looking into?

Lifetime Fitness is very nice. I am not a member but my teenage son is and I pay for it. The student rate is $80/month, which is pretty high considering my family membership (5 people) at Triton is $80 also. But the main difference for my kid is the basketball facilities. Lifetime has an Ultimate Hoops program and at the beginning of the year will be starting a league to compete with leagues at other Lifetimes in the region. That will cost an extra $30.

Drachen
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Fitness is very nice. I am not a member but my teenage son is and I pay for it. The student rate is $80/month, which is pretty high considering my family membership (5 people) at Triton is $80 also. But the main difference for my kid is the basketball facilities. Lifetime has an Ultimate Hoops program and at the beginning of the year will be starting a league to compete with leagues at other Lifetimes in the region. That will cost an extra $30.

Holy Crap! $80 for one person, and THAT is the discount rate?

spursncowboys
12-04-2010, 05:15 AM
There is a crossfit gym on the NW side around Holmes HS I think. Crossfit is the shit!

AmericanWoman
12-04-2010, 07:04 AM
I go to Planet Fitness and get a good workout every time. I don't need classes to tell me how to excercise and they have the equipment I need. If it is good enough for Matt Bonner it is good enough for me.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
The closet Planet Fitness to 281/1604 is Nacodoches and 35 too. They're more of a "let's put gyms in the ghetto" type gym. They just opened one on commerce and general mcmullen. They also don't have classes. The closet thing you'll get to a class is their "free fitness instruction" which is some woman following you around telling you to do reps on a machine. I go to the PF on 410/McCulough often, but mostly for the treadmill and ellipitical. I'll occassionally do the 30 minute workout..but if you're looking for something serious PF isn't it.
I bet you pack pepper spray