PDA

View Full Version : The 20 and 21 point first quarters

GSH
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Well, boys and girls. We have a little time in between games, so how about some stats? Boutons and AHF always have something brilliant to say about my posts. The last time, it had to do with the 20 and 21 point first quarters that the Spurs have slapped on the Suns. This was one of the comments that followed:

I've seen many game where the Suns start slow, down at the half by a handful of points, but keep it close, then the other team goes a bit cold in the 4th, and Suns win by few.

You need to look at ALL the Suns game for appx 20-pt qtrs,not just the Spurs games.

Okay... I did look at all the other Suns' games. If any of that is correct, it will be right there in the numbers.

The Suns start out slow? For them, that would probably be less than 24 points in a quarter. How often do they do that? They did it twice against Dallas - 22 first quarter points on May 11 and May 15. Before that? The Suns hadn't started out w/ less than 24 points in a quarter since Mar 25, against Miami. And before that, Feb 17 - against Dallas. If you leave out the games where Nash didn't play (I think we can all agree it is a different team w/o him) it happened once in the month of January. (Jan. 2, against Portland) In December it happened twice: back-to-back against Utah and Seattle. In December, when the team was just taking shape, it happened 5 times: Chicago, Cleveland, New Orleans, Dallas, and Lakers. So unless you want to go back to the first month of the season, I wouldn't exactly say that the Suns have a tendency to start off slowly.

But what about starts that are slow for Phoenix, but pretty good for other teams? (Say 24-25 points?) How often do the Suns start out that "slowly"? Well, since the beginning of the season, they have averaged 2 games per month where they scored as "few" as 24-25 points in the first quarter. Now 24-25 points is not exactly starting out slowly. But two games a month - a total of 10 games? Not exactly an overwhelming trend. (And four of the teams that did it to them were Denver, Detroit, Sacramento, and San Antonio.)

I think we can put the first silly comment to bed. Let's move on to the second.

So how about the Suns being down a handfull (5 points or more, right?) at the half, and coming back to win the game. They were down to Dallas by that much twice - they lost both of those games. Before that, in March, they were down 6 to Miami - but they lost that game too. It happened three times in January, when Nash was out - the Suns lost all three of those games. In December they were down 7 to San Antonio at the half - but somehow San Antonio held on for the win. But finally I found one... way back on Dec. 7 the Suns were down 5 points to Golden State at the half and came back to win the game. That's it. It happened one time all season. (I didn't bother to list the last game of the season where the Suns played all their subs, were down by 14 at the half, and lost by 25. I mention it only so that no smartass says that my stats are bad.) It looks to me like being up on the Suns by 5 or more at the half is a pretty good way to win the game.

So how about games where the Suns were down at the half, but less than 5 points, and come back to win? They were down by 4 to Minnesota, and 1 to Golden State, but lost both times - those games don't count. They were down by less than 5 to Denver, Sacramento, Dallas, and Orlando, and squeezed out a 1 or 2 point victory. They were down by 1-4 to Utah, NY, NJ, Lakers, and Clippers, and won those games by 5-8 points. Based on that, if the Spurs are up at the half... even by one point... I like their chances of holding on for a win. I think they are just that much tougher in the fourth quarter than Denver, Dallas, Sacramento, or Orlando. And a lot tougher than those other teams. (So how important are those 20 and 21 point first quarters? I don't know. I'd say pretty damned important.)

Second silly comment put to bed. Next.

And finally, since Boutons said that I should look at every quarter in the season where the Suns scored 24 or less - I did. I don't think it came out the way he expected, though.

There were a total of 59 games (77 quarters in all) where the Suns scored less than 24 points in a quarter. Fortunately for the Suns, most of the time it was because the game was already such a blowout that they put in their subs, who simply don't score as many points as their starters. I didn't count those games, since it had nothing to do with the other team playing defense, or with the outcome of the game. (I also discounted the games where Nash or Marion were out with injuries.)

That left a total of 23 games (33 quarters) where the Suns scored less than 24 points in a quarter. The Suns lost 13 of those games (19 quarters < 24 points). The Suns won the other 10 games (14 quarters < 24 points), but most of them not very convincingly. Their margin of victory was: O/T, 1, 2, 3, 6, 6, 7 in seven of the 10 games.

When I put all that together, it says to me that the Suns need to score fairly large in all 4 quarters to be confident in a win. When they have even one off quarter, their winning percentage sucks: 23 games, 13 losses, and 4 wins of 3 points or less. If the Spurs hold the Suns to less than 24 points in a quarter, I like their chances. If they hold them to less than 24 points in 2 quarters, like last night, I really like their chances.

In the playoffs, the Suns have had 7 games with sub-24 point quarters. They have lost 4 of them. In the series with the Mavs and Spurs, they have lost 4 out of 5. In almost all of their losses this season, the Suns have had one bad quarter, and three pretty damned good ones.

One final note: the Suns have (legitimately) been held to less than 24 points in 41 quarters (regular season and playoffs together). Of those 41 quarters, 6 belong to the Spurs, 6 to Dallas, 5 to Memphis, and 4 to Houston. It's no coincidence. They are all solid teams that made the playoffs, and they are al among the teams that beat the Suns this year.

Third silly comment... safely in bed.

I'm sure the two brain surgeons will vomit out their usual insults, and say that it means nothing. I don't think they'll get too much traction this time. The numbers are pretty overwhelming. If the Spurs can put in just one quarter in each game in that 20-21 point range, I think the sweep will follow.

Solid D
05-25-2005, 05:02 PM
The Suns scoring 23 points in the 4th qtr. of game 2 was a difference-maker worth noting.

Clandestino
05-25-2005, 05:06 PM
wow!

T Park
05-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I think the Suns slow starts are what have won the games.

You force Phoenix to dig and dig and dig and even if they have a lead in the third, they are worn out in the 4th after having to battle from behind and run their asses off.

bigbendbruisebrother
05-25-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm sure the two brain surgeons will vomit out their usual insults, and say that it means nothing.

Nice comments GSH. The Spurs are really frustrating to watch when they let the other team get off to a good start.

Here's a photo of your opposition warming up:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pmpro/images/uploads/vomit4.jpg
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/pmpro/images/uploads/vomit1.jpg

1Parker1
05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
I think the thing is GSH, that many of us, myself included, over-valued Suns high pace offense, and under-valued Spurs defense. If you told me, or anyone else on this board, that in the WCF games 1 and 2, Suns would outshoot the Spurs, score 33 pts in the 4th quarter, have Amare score 41 pts, Nash 30 and 15 and the Spurs would still come out on top, I would have called you crazy!

Lesson of this series: Offense can get you only so far. Suns have been score 52% average in games 1 and 2, and actually they scored at a higher % than the Spurs last night, blocked more shots, and still lost. The reason is a good team, a championship team, knows how to make stops at one end of the floor and score at the other end of the floor in tight games. Suns have mastered the latter, however, they still need to work on that first part.

Fact is, yesterday's game, was a close one--maybe even a lucky one. Amare, Q, and Nash missed some pretty open shots that 8 times out of 10 they would have made. Spurs got lucky by making a few extra shots at the end. Good game.

Although, I still don't think a sweep, GSH :) I'm thinking this may go to 5 games---which will unfortunately cost me about 600vbookie money :(

deepsouth
05-25-2005, 06:01 PM
Hey GSH.
If somebody making a comment you found insulting prompts you to make such interesting analysis, I think it will be rewarding to insult you more often.
Please keep the analysis coming without the need to be prodded!
Nice job!

boutons
05-25-2005, 06:13 PM
"two brain surgeons will vomit out their usual insults"

F U C K O F F , D I C K H E A D A S S H O L E

and take dickhead as a compliment.

grjr
05-25-2005, 08:09 PM
I think the funny part is the Refs don't seem to be calling "playoff basketball" this year. So the Spurs can't even "D" up on them as much as they normally would this time of year.

Also, if the Suns have to keep playing the short rotations like they have been then the Spurs should own them in ALL the 4th quarters since their guys are tiring out.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-25-2005, 08:32 PM
The last time, it had to do with the 20 and 21 point first quarters that the Spurs have slapped on the Suns.

I'm just trying to find where I said anything about that, but if you want to beat off at night over your long post up above, knock yourself out.

MI21
05-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Nice post if indeed those people you mentioned were disagreeing with you. You can't argue with the facts.

GSH
05-30-2005, 02:35 AM
(So how important are those 20 and 21 point first quarters? I don't know. I'd say pretty damned important.)

Wow... I guess they were important after all.

SAN ANTONIO - After all they've accomplished this season, the Phoenix Suns are taking an incredibly humble goal into what could be their 2004-05 finale. They want to win the first quarter.

Don't laugh. The Suns have been way behind going into the second quarter of every game and they consider that a big reason why they trail the San Antonio Spurs 3-0 in the Western Conference finals heading into Game 4 on Monday night.

How bad have those early jitters been?

_ The Suns have trailed by 10, 13 and 11 points during the first quarters.

_ They've finished those quarters down by 10, 10 and nine points, continuing a trend that began in the last round against Dallas. They've "lost" eight straight first quarters.

_ They did have a first-quarter lead this series. Once. They were up 14-12 for all of 1 minute, 2 seconds in the opener. The best they've done since was tying it 2-2 each of the last two games.

No wonder coach Mike D'Antoni said with exasperation, "We just want to get to the second quarter and see what happens."

The Spurs, however, would prefer to see Manu Ginobili grab the opening tip in Phoenix's end and turn it into a quick layup again, like he did in Games 1 and 3.

"We just have to be ready to match their energy," said point guard Tony Parker, the driving force behind San Antonio's fast starts. "We have to make sure we jump at them and take control from the beginning."

In the first two games, Phoenix showed why it was the league's highest-scoring team, putting together enough runs to lead in the fourth quarter. Yet the Spurs won both, raising the notion that the comebacks sapped the Suns' energy and emotion.

There was a lot less analysis needed to figure out what failed Phoenix after its slow start in Game 3 on Saturday night.

The Suns missed their first six shots of the second quarter and the last seven. Even with San Antonio struggling to score, too, Phoenix couldn't take advantage. The Suns had just 10 points in the period, matching their season low, and went into the locker room with just 39 points, their lowest first half of the season.

Phoenix did rally in the fourth, but not enough. Now it's likely just a matter of when the Spurs will advance to the Finals.