PDA

View Full Version : House votes to extend middle-class tax cuts

DMX7
12-03-2010, 01:08 AM
A sharply divided House of Representatives passed legislation Thursday afternoon to extend the George W. Bush tax cuts for individuals earning under $200,000 and couples earning less than $250,000.

The vote, at 234 to 188, ran largely along partisan lines. All but three GOP lawmakers voted against the bill, as they want the tax cuts extended for the wealthy as well.

The Democratic proposal was never intended as a serious bid to resolve the debate over the expiring Bush tax cuts. It also has no chance of moving ahead in the Senate, where GOP support would be needed to get 60 votes for passage. Instead, the vote was a move by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and her Democratic allies to force Republicans to take a potentially embarrassing stance — one that undoubtedly will show up in many a Democratic campaign ads come 2012.

"I am trying to catch my breath so I don't to refer to this ... as, uh, chicken crap, all right?" said Boehner, who will become House speaker in January.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_exclusive/20101202/pl_yblog_exclusive/house-passes-bush-tax-cuts-but-real-action-elsewhere