PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding...

dn0774
12-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I know Kevin Love is tough on the glass and all, but seeing the Spurs get big boy'd on the boards by the entire Wolves roster is a bit unsettling. The offensive rebounds given up were atrocious, a complete lack of intensity/focus.

Championship teams are historically great at rebounding...just sayin'.

TDMVPDPOY
12-03-2010, 11:37 PM
doesnt help when blair is undersized against love and darkeem

our veteran bigs just cbf going for boards, and waiting for the ball to land in their hands...

SpursDynasty85
12-03-2010, 11:39 PM
True.. Spurs are lacking energy in all their major rebounders. Duncan and Ginobili are pretty good rebounders normally, but their just not as active as they used to be. Furthermore, Blair is no longer flying under the radar scooping up off. boards because he is in the starting line up now. This is why Mcdyess or Splitter should come in to help instead of no-rebounding Bonner.

Mel_13
12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Going into tonight's game, the Spurs were 4th in the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage while the Wolves were 4th in offensive rebounding percentage. The Wolves were much better tonight, but the Spurs have been a solid rebounding team.

TimmehC
12-03-2010, 11:47 PM
rebounding is an effort stat, first and foremost. Spurs got after it in the 4th, but they didn't want those boards as badly as the pups before that.

DesignatedT
12-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Love is a beast.

ChuckD
12-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Rebounding is about desire. The Spurs won the boards in the 4th, and hence the game.

itzsoweezee
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Blame Popovich for playing one of the worst rebounding big men in the league a ton of minutes and not playing one of the best rebounding big men in the league, Blair, enough:

total reb%
Blair 19.2
Duncan 18.7
McDyess 17.9
Splitter 12.5
Bonner 9.1

rebounds per 48 rank:
Dejuan Blair - 9
Tim Duncan - 12
McDyess - 18

Bonner and Splitter aren't in the top 40.

bbarry
12-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Well Minnesota is the best offensive rebounding team in the league, by far. And nearly the worst team in the league...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

TD 21
12-04-2010, 01:19 AM
Going into tonight's game, the Spurs were 4th in the NBA in defensive rebounding percentage while the Wolves were 4th in offensive rebounding percentage. The Wolves were much better tonight, but the Spurs have been a solid rebounding team.

I don't know why many don't recognize this. It's like they look at their size and the lineups they often play and just assume they aren't. Granted, they've slipped recently, but they were 3rd about a week ago to ten days ago and last season, they were also one of the best in rebounding percentage and differential, which are both more important and telling than total rebounds.

It's something that if it continues, I'd call it alarming. But I'll take the 90 something games between last season and the start of this season that suggests they're one of the best in the league over a sample size as small as a week or ten days.

A lot of it is the lineups being played recently. Blair and McDyess are barely playing.

Yorae
12-04-2010, 01:26 AM
The problem is bonner getting way too many minutes.

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Blame Popovich for playing one of the worst rebounding big men in the league a ton of minutes and not playing one of the best rebounding big men in the league, Blair, enough:

total reb%
Blair 19.2
Duncan 18.7
McDyess 17.9
Splitter 12.5
Bonner 9.1

rebounds per 48 rank:
Dejuan Blair - 9
Tim Duncan - 12
McDyess - 18

Bonner and Splitter aren't in the top 40.

I agree on limiting Bonner's minutes, but If Blair would show more consistancy on defense, he probably would see his playing time increase.

itzsoweezee
12-04-2010, 02:31 AM
I agree on limiting Bonner's minutes, but If Blair would show more consistancy on defense, he probably would see his playing time increase.

This notion that's been thrown around on this board that Blair is somehow a bad defensive player is such a myth.

Dejuan's defensive win share: 0.7 (4th on the team after Tim, Manu, and Tony)
Bonner's defensive win share: 0.3 (10th on the team)

Blair's problems have been on the offensive end. But he's improved a significant amount as the season has gone along; especially when Pop has given him minutes.

Let's face it, when Popovich is giving Bonner playing time over Blair, he's picking offense over defense. It doesn't bode well for the rest of this season.

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 02:53 AM
This notion that's been thrown around on this board that Blair is somehow a bad defensive player is such a myth.

Dejuan's defensive win share: 0.7 (4th on the team after Tim, Manu, and Tony)
Bonner's defensive win share: 0.3 (10th on the team)

Blair's problems have been on the offensive end. But he's improved a significant amount as the season has gone along; especially when Pop has given him minutes.

Let's face it, when Popovich is giving Bonner playing time over Blair, he's picking offense over defense. It doesn't bode well for the rest of this season.

You said bad, I didn't . He needs to be consistant. He looks good in stretches, just needs to put it all together.

crc21209
12-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Love has been beasting on the boards all year against every team he's gone up against....that's all.

angelbelow
12-04-2010, 05:21 AM
You said bad, I didn't . He needs to be consistant. He looks good in stretches, just needs to put it all together.

If Blair can develop a poor mans Karl Malone defense... that would be HUGE... but realistically I agree, if he can consistently perform well on the defensive end his rebounding talents would be extremely useful. Even during today's game, I saw a stretch where he grabbed 2 offensive rebounds in a row. Those plays would be extremely beneficial if he could compound that with some team D.

ChuckD
12-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Well Minnesota is the best offensive rebounding team in the league, by far. And nearly the worst team in the league...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

They're a good team that doesn't have a "closer" like we have in Ginobili.

The one downside to selling out going to the O boards is that it tends to make you lazy getting back on D. When we went small, we negated their rebounding edge, but they were still slow getting back, and we made them pay for it in the 4th.

TDMVPDPOY
12-04-2010, 12:26 PM
blairs reboundin is misleading, how many of them come from his weak ass put back attempts

99-03-05-07
12-04-2010, 05:31 PM
bonner = the rebounding problem

itzsoweezee
12-04-2010, 06:00 PM
blairs reboundin is misleading, how many of them come from his weak ass put back attempts

That's a pretty stupid comment.

Agloco
12-04-2010, 10:20 PM
I know Kevin Love is tough on the glass and all, but seeing the Spurs get big boy'd on the boards by the entire Wolves roster is a bit unsettling. The offensive rebounds given up were atrocious, a complete lack of intensity/focus.

Championship teams are historically great at rebounding...just sayin'.

Top rebounding team in the league tbh

Agloco
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Most of them are. Just like most comments made by ducks, I ignore them.

Blair is great at points but I think he still needs a lot of polish on his positioning. For some reason he's not in good spots as the ball comes off this year.

itzsoweezee
12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.48minutesofhell.com/san-antonio-spurs-mike-budenholzer#more-11675

In effort to provide both offense and rebounding, Budenholzer smartly opted for DeJuan Blair instead of Tiago Splitter at the start of the 4th quarter. Splitter had played relatively well to end the 3rd quarter. For example, he was involved in a perfectly executed baseline trap of Kevin Love near the end of the quarter. But Splitter neither offers the offensive punch nor the same rebound rate as Blair. Blair was the right choice.

DB gave the Spurs a crucial 4:28 blast to begin the 4th quarter. His contribution during this stint: two points, three rebounds (two offensive), one assist, one steal, +7. Blair also drew a foul on Darko Milicic. Darko would eventually foul out, and, given his recent record of Spurs slaying, this was all to the benefit of San Antonio.

superbigtime
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Lack of height and rebounding ability is THE number one weakness of this team. Spurs have been lucky to overcome this deficiency against teams like Minnesota, but LAL and BOS will give us lots of trouble.

portnoy1
12-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Lack of height and rebounding ability is THE number one weakness of this team. Spurs have been lucky to overcome this deficiency against teams like Minnesota, but LAL and BOS will give us lots of trouble.
Lack of height is kinda of an issue, but not the full issue itself. Matt Bonner is the same height as Kevin Love (both 6-10), yet they are on different ends of the spectrum when it comes to rebounding. Its not just the height, its playing up to your height that helps. Blair is 6-7 with no Acl's and is still able to get a solid amount of rebounds over larger opponents.

ChuckD
12-05-2010, 05:31 PM

Congratulations. You've stumbled across the fact that TDMVPDPOY is a retard. Here's your club card. There's only one club rule: don't quote him. It's unkind for those who have put his babblings on ignore.

TD 21
12-05-2010, 06:04 PM

The Spurs are a better rebounding team than the Celtics. The disparity was wide last season and up until the past 7-10 days (they were also better than the Timberwolves and Lakers, though they're missing Bynum), wide again this season.

I attribute the recent drop mostly to Blair and McDyess playing less.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
One reason Splitter doesn't get as many rebounds is that he's always playing a little farther from the hoop than most bigs. He's setting screens or looking for open space. If pop plays him down right next to the hoop, I bet he hauls in more boards.