PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop doing the Right Thing with Splitter?

Srupsog
12-04-2010, 12:23 AM
The Spurs waited forever for Splitter to come to the NBA, and now he hardly gets any playing time even when Mcdysse, Bonner, Blair, and sometimes TD struggle.

So do you guys think Pop is correctly playing Splitter and what do you guys think Splitter's role will be later on in the season?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 12:25 AM
No, Pop should be fired and Splitter should play 40 minutes a game.

He's 25!

DesignatedT
12-04-2010, 12:25 AM
you could have just put this in one of the other 3 threads you've created tonight.

Hoops Czar
12-04-2010, 12:27 AM
yes, by not playing him. He deserves scrap minutes. So far, he's done an exemplary job replacing Mahimni. It should stay that way. Anyone who wants to even put Scola and splitter in the same sentence is smoking crack.

200 miles
12-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Wouldn't you say that the month of November is practically Tiago's preseason or should it extend to a month and a half? I would say it's time for Tiago to get his chance and play 20-25 minutes for a few games and see what happens. I would expect very positive results from that. But unfortunately we have Bonner's bedmate for a coach. So as far as that goes, it's not looking good so far.

Hopefully: Splitter starting and playing at least 30mpg

Realistically: Bench role with 10-15 mpg

BRs.Ganso
12-04-2010, 07:16 AM
yes, little exaggerated, but i think is right...

he have a nice potential, he can be a good player, like i spoke in other topic.

he need adaptate to the NBA rules, refs, Popovich style and pace of the game... its not easy. Need improve his game, training more medium shot and FT's (he's better day by day in this fundament), increase your muscle mass without losing mobility. my opinion. :rolleyes
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/misc/progress.gif
Hopefully: Splitter starting and playing at least 30mpg

Realistically: Bench role with 10-15 mpg

agree 100% :tu

he have game to play 30 minutes per game, not now, in future, yes. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=4795527)

biskvito
12-04-2010, 08:09 AM
I don't like the way Spurs are playing, lots of small ball, 3pt festival, no post plays except when TD is on court. Splitter gets open for P&R time after time, but no one does the P&R with him. Yesterday he received a couple opportunities on the post but he was doubled and made some assists.

I'll wait the end of the season, but the way Spurs are playing, this type of basketball, I see no future for a player like Splitter in this kind of system. If by the end of the season things are the same, I really hope Splitter finds another team.

Thompson
12-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Hopefully Pop is just holding back until after the trade deadline to unleash Splitter on the league, to avoid any Gasol-type trades to counter him.

Then again, I was hoping that was the case with Mahinmi.

Rummpd
12-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I have to hope Pop has a plan on this to gradually work him in more and "save" Splitter for the second half and the playoffs.

I continue to wonder why we do not see the "obvious" rotation of Duncan and Splitter on the court at least some. That being said it is hard to nitpick when a team is 16 and 3 and there are still 63 games left.

silverblk mystix
12-04-2010, 09:00 AM

He's 25!

Actually, that is wrong.

Splitter needs to be let go as the Spurs are 16-3 (without splitter's help) and do not need Splitter.
Splitter is worse than Bonner,Dice,Blair.

Get rid of him. Pop knows best.

jermaine
12-04-2010, 09:30 AM
now I was wondering! Can Splitter just go back to Euro if he wanted to an never finish out his NBA contract? This is a clear example why most overseas players dont wanna come to the NBA. Your the best where you are just to come over here an be buried at the end of someones bench. True enough Splitter can get better on his shot blocking but from what Ive seen(an Ive seen every game on league pass), the mans BB IQ is off the charts. He's always in good pos. The only problem is the stupid ass players around him(not Manu) dont try hard enough to get him the ball on P&R. During parts of the game when I know theres a sub bout to happen I look at the scores table to see whos coming in the game, I see Bonner. I be like SHIIIIIT MANN! I like Bonner dont get me wrong, but with limited mins. If I was Splitter I'd go back overseas after this season. How do you go from MVP of your league to playing behind Bonner, and watching Udonka an Blair get more mins than you!?! As soon as he makes one little rookie mistake, Pop takes him out while Bonner constantly get beat. We couldve won the Mavs game or gave ourselves a better chance had he put Splitter on Dirk. But naaw Pop comes out with Bonner and Jefferson. CIA Pop my ass! that fool gone do the same shit as he always do, go small. So for all of you(including myself) that thank he's going to spring Splitter on the NBA the 2nd half of the season, WAKE THE FUCK UP! You know your damn coach, and the stupid shit he does!

Capt Bringdown
12-04-2010, 09:39 AM
We know exactly what to expect from Bonner. Yet Pop apparently believes that an increased role and expanded minutes will magically transform Bonner into a reliable basketball player. Even Championship-caliber coaches make terrible mistakes, and clearly Bonner is Pop's Achilles heel.

I'd rather see Splitter developing than Bonner's rollercoaster ride of failure. Bonner in the playoffs, we know how that story ends.

yavozerb
12-04-2010, 09:49 AM
The spurs are 16-3, hard to argue with the present rotation with these kind of results..Currently, yes, its the right thing.

jermaine
12-04-2010, 10:00 AM
16-3 dont mean shit when you can be 19-0! 2 of those games where dead close. I live in Dallas an everyone in Dallas that knows me, know im a Spurs fan! So that loss to them hurt my heart very very badly! I hope Splitter not the kinda person who gets down ez, cuz he killed Mahimmi's shit.

dbestpro
12-04-2010, 10:12 AM
No. The difference between Blair and Splitter on defense is about 6-10 ppg.

Pop will finally go to Splitter after we are down 3-1 games in the playoffs. Splitter will have a fantastic game and Pop will talk about giving Splitter more playing time next year.

jermaine
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Im hoping that he's just tryin to humble Splitter an let him see he's no better than on one else!

silverblk mystix
12-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Im hoping that he's just tryin to humble Splitter an let him see he's no better than on one else!

Why?

SA210
12-04-2010, 10:39 AM
now I was wondering! Can Splitter just go back to Euro if he wanted to an never finish out his NBA contract? This is a clear example why most overseas players dont wanna come to the NBA. Your the best where you are just to come over here an be buried at the end of someones bench. True enough Splitter can get better on his shot blocking but from what Ive seen(an Ive seen every game on league pass), the mans BB IQ is off the charts. He's always in good pos. The only problem is the stupid ass players around him(not Manu) dont try hard enough to get him the ball on P&R. During parts of the game when I know theres a sub bout to happen I look at the scores table to see whos coming in the game, I see Bonner. I be like SHIIIIIT MANN! I like Bonner dont get me wrong, but with limited mins. If I was Splitter I'd go back overseas after this season. How do you go from MVP of your league to playing behind Bonner, and watching Udonka an Blair get more mins than you!?! As soon as he makes one little rookie mistake, Pop takes him out while Bonner constantly get beat. We couldve won the Mavs game or gave ourselves a better chance had he put Splitter on Dirk. But naaw Pop comes out with Bonner and Jefferson. CIA Pop my ass! that fool gone do the same shit as he always do, go small. So for all of you(including myself) that thank he's going to spring Splitter on the NBA the 2nd half of the season, WAKE THE FUCK UP! You know your damn coach, and the stupid shit he does!

All of this!

jermaine
12-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Why?

All of this!
Cuz Im watching the game on dvr right now an Splitter is moving great an I dont see no reason he dosent play more time. Bonner cant hit shit but he's playing the whole 1st qtr. And to you SA210, yes all that! thats how I feel an this is a Spurs related forum an my post is Spurs related soooooooo why not!?!

SA210
12-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Cuz Im watching the game on dvr right now an Splitter is moving great an I dont see no reason he dosent play more time. Bonner cant hit shit but he's playing the whole 1st qtr. And to you SA210, yes all that! thats how I feel an this is a Spurs related forum an my post is Spurs related soooooooo why not!?!

:tu

I was agreeing with you. Pop is screwing us by not getting Splitter involved. It's like that year he screwed the Spurs when Hill was playing great, but he went away from Hill in the playoffs until it was too late. I see the same thing happening this year with Splitter. Unless Pop miraculously has an epiphany, which his stubborn ass hardly ever does, then I'd day we will see the same crap come out his handbook come playoffs. Too much Bonner, too much small ball, going away from defense, and going away from the guys that can help us win games because of his man love for some crappy player.

rogcl1
12-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Its along season, this is Splitters preseason, Spurs have the best record in NBA. If his role does not increase or if he is not given a chance to increase his role I will be right there with you but I think he will end up where he belongs.
In my opinion though from what I have seen, Splitter cannot guard perimeter guys like Dirk. Hopefully I am wrong.

rmt
12-04-2010, 11:30 AM
The spurs are 16-3, hard to argue with the present rotation with these kind of results..Currently, yes, its the right thing.

If the goal is to win the championship, this is not the right thing. Bonner has no upside, and we all know how he performs in the playoffs. The situation is reminiscent of Hill in the 08 playoffs - didn't get played (instead of vets such as Finley) until it was too late. Fortunately for Hill, he got to play during RS because of injuries to Parker.

Splitter is not a typical rookie like Hill and Blair - he is a polished, 7ft post player - MVP & Finals MVP of the Spanish league. He knows how to play the game of basketball professionally - all he needs is minutes to adjust to the NBA and the Spurs. There is no sane reason why Bonner should be getting twice the minutes as Splitter.

ulosturedge
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM
He isn't going to forsake Dice, Bonner, and Blair just for the sake of making Splitter a big minutes guy. He is doing it right, he is going to need all those guys playing their best basketball by the time the playoffs start. All those guys play substantial roles depending on the teams we are playing and the match ups. I want Splitter in there soaking up more minutes just as much as the next guy, but it's gonna happen as we get deeper and deeper into the season.

I have to think that part of the Splitter neglect is because CIA Pop doesn't want to give away anything. Is that the best thing? I don't know. I don't think the Lakers or Mavs are oblivious about Splitter. I almost rather him try the different court combinations and matchups on the floor so that Splitter gets more experience by the time the playoffs roll in. But then again maybe it's a good strategy to tuck away Splitter from certain teams and match ups and then unleash him later and hope that he wreaks havoc on opposing teams when it matters.

In Pop I trust :toast

SA210
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
If the goal is to win the championship, this is not the right thing. Bonner has no upside, and we all know how he performs in the playoffs. The situation is reminiscent of Hill in the 08 playoffs - didn't get played (instead of vets such as Finley) until it was too late. Fortunately for Hill, he got to play during RS because of injuries to Parker.

Splitter is not a typical rookie like Hill and Blair - he is a polished, 7ft post player - MVP & Finals MVP of the Spanish league. He knows how to play the game of basketball professionally - all he needs is minutes to adjust to the NBA and the Spurs. There is no sane reason why Bonner should be getting twice the minutes as Splitter.

:tu

I was agreeing with you. Pop is screwing us by not getting Splitter involved. It's like that year he screwed the Spurs when Hill was playing great, but he went away from Hill in the playoffs until it was too late. I see the same thing happening this year with Splitter. Unless Pop miraculously has an epiphany, which his stubborn ass hardly ever does, then I'd day we will see the same crap come out his handbook come playoffs. Too much Bonner, too much small ball, going away from defense, and going away from the guys that can help us win games because of his man love for some crappy player.

200 miles
12-04-2010, 11:33 AM

That's what pisses me off about Pop. If that's the case between Pop and Splitter, then Pop should get off his fucking moral high horse and take his little after-school special act elsewhere. Let him see he's no better than anyone else? Get your head out of your ass, Pop! Tiago is way better than Bonner and Udoka and possibly a few others as well.

SA210
12-04-2010, 11:51 AM
That's what pisses me off about Pop. If that's the case between Pop and Splitter, then Pop should get off his fucking moral high horse and take his little after-school special act elsewhere. Let him see he's no better than anyone else? Get your head out of your ass, Pop! Tiago is way better than Bonner and Udoka and possibly a few others as well.

yavozerb
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM

To reach the ultimate goal (championship) one must first reach some minor ones first (a high seed for playoffs). Look I like Splitter as much as everyone else does but results are results and the spurs are currently the #1 team in the NBA. I agree that bonner has no upside but his shooting has won as many games as he attempted to lose so far this season. Splitters normal season in europe was about 35-40 games so an NBA season would double his games played in year. People, Splitter is here cause of the lakers of the world who actually still play a traditional brand of basketball with 2 bigs on the floor, not this small ball stuff that most teams play. He will get his chance, whats the hurry as long as the spurs are winning games. We still have 75% of the season to go, pace yourselves.

jimo2305
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
To reach the ultimate goal (championship) one must first reach some minor ones first (a high seed for playoffs). Look I like Splitter as much as everyone else does but results are results and the spurs are currently the #1 team in the NBA. I agree that bonner has no upside but his shooting has won as many games as he attempted to lose so far this season. Splitters normal season in europe was about 35-40 games so an NBA season would double his games played in year. People, Splitter is here cause of the lakers of the world who actually still play a traditional brand of basketball with 2 bigs on the floor, not this small ball stuff that most teams play. He will get his chance, whats the hurry as long as the spurs are winning games. We still have 75% of the season to go, pace yourselves.

thaaaaankk youuuu!!

GabeIsGone
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM

Its funny year after year people come up with ridiculous excuses and stories as to why Pop plays certain players, or runs certain things (Like small ball). Always saying that in the end Pop will come to his senses, or hes just being CIA, or it's only a matter of time, or it's change come playoffs.

When will people come to realize that even our HOF coach fucks up on a regular basis, makes head-scratching decisions all the time, has not started a true big next to Duncan in almost a Decade, and has CONSISTENTLY NOT made the rotational adjustments clamored for year after year by the spurs faithful (Bonner, Finley, Mahinmi, etc.), and has not significantly changed his lineup or style of play in the playoffs for quite a few years (again persistently playing a failing bonner, etc.)

What still gives people this image of Pop as a basketball genius that can do no wrong season after season?

jag
12-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Its funny year after year people come up with ridiculous excuses and stories as to why Pop plays certain players, or runs certain things (Like small ball). Always saying that in the end Pop will come to his senses, or hes just being CIA, or it's only a matter of time, or it's change come playoffs.

When will people come to realize that even our HOF coach fucks up on a regular basis, makes head-scratching decisions all the time, has not started a true big next to Duncan in almost a Decade, and has CONSISTENTLY NOT made the rotational adjustments clamored for year after year by the spurs faithful (Bonner, Finley, Mahinmi, etc.), and has not significantly changed his lineup or style of play in the playoffs for quite a few years (again persistently playing a failing bonner, etc.)

What still gives people this image of Pop as a basketball genius that can do no wrong season after season?

Honest question: do you really think the Spurs were a better team than the Lakers last year?

Mel_13
12-04-2010, 01:08 PM
has CONSISTENTLY NOT made the rotational adjustments clamored for year after year by the spurs faithful

:lmao

Yeah, all the great coaches make their personnel decisions on such a basis.

GabeIsGone
12-04-2010, 01:12 PM
Honest question: do you really think the Spurs were a better team than the Lakers last year?

Um......no. Never said that.

Honest Question: Do you really think Pop will change something (whether it be line-up, rotations, etc.) towards the end of the season as a result of some brilliant imaginary scheme (or plan) that so many insist is there?

ElNono
12-04-2010, 01:13 PM

He does have a point at least as far as the apologists part is concerned though.
I'm surprised EricB or yavozerb haven't pulled out the 'Tiago probably sucks in practice' yet. Probably because it's only December... :lol

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:13 PM

Yeah, all the great coaches make their personnel decisions on such a basis.I'm telling ya, the Spurs need to be coached by the Spurstalk game thread.

They will never win another game otherwise.

rmt
12-04-2010, 01:17 PM

75% of the season left to go - so just when is Splitter supposed to become acclimated to the NBA and the Spurs by playing 8 minutes a night? After the ASB when the rotation for the playoffs gets set? He'll have missed the boat by then and won't be in the playoff rotation in favor of Bonner.

People talk about vets (like Dice and RJ) taking a year to get used to the Spurs system - so exactly when will all this time be for Splitter to get used to the Spurs and playing against the NBA's bigmen? Playing a few RS games against LAL and BOS is not going to accomplish that. The Spurs must prepare for the elite contenders - not the run-and-gun, small ball teams (which they're not going to see in the playoffs except for maybe the first round).

Of course, maybe the goal is not the championship - maybe it's the RS like the Cavs (last year) or the Mavs. Play Splitter, Neal and Anderson (when he comes back) more and Duncan and Manu (and of course, Bonner) less.

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 01:18 PM

No, but the point is the majority of Spursfans were willing to die with mahinmi or any other bigman(next to Duncan) in the playoffs instead of Bonner. How many chances has this dude gotten already???? Bonner should be playing as much time as Scalabrine. They're both victory cigar players(Players you only play when you blow out teams) I'm starting to think race might play in an issue in Pop's love for Bonner. I can't think of anything else anymore!

GabeIsGone
12-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Not really saying he should make line up changes based upon this, more like... if concerned fan after concerned fan (someone who should know less than a HOF coach) notices a consistent problem that is persistent year after year. It shouldn't take a genius HOF coach to notice it and at least ATTEMPT to fix it. And yet our HOF coach has consistently not noticed, or ignored, this problem.

ElNono
12-04-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm starting to think race might play in an issue in Pop's love for Bonner. I can't think of anything else anymore!

Ridiculous. Finley was african-american.

Cane
12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Considering Tiago's a NBA rookie, missed out on the preseason because of injury/fatigue, and the Spurs have the no.1 spot; I'm liking how Pop has managed Tiago's minutes in the beginning of the season.

However as long as he doesn't chuck up anymore 3-pointers I see his role only expanding in the near future. With the December home-stand the Spurs should be able to utilize their HCA and get some blowout wins so Tiago can play more. After that the season is going to get much busier for the Spurs and thats when we should be seeing more of Tiago and less of Duncan and even less of McDyess.

So far I've been much more impressed with Neal than Splitter but thats another topic.

The Spurs also don't have the right passers to really utilize Splitter; like RJ he's open so many times but doesn't get the ball. Splitter seems to only really be utilized if Manu's on the court much like Blair last season and Oberto the years before.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Not really saying he should make line up changes based upon thisThat's exactly what you are saying.

Mel_13
12-04-2010, 01:22 PM
He does have a point at least as far as the apologists part is concerned though.
I'm surprised EricB or yavozerb haven't pulled out the 'Tiago probably sucks in practice' yet. Probably because it's only December... :lol

There are certainly a small handful of posters who will defend every move of the coach and the FO. OTOH, the Pop-hating lunatic fringe will plaster the label "apologist" on anyone that doesn't buy into their entire agenda. It is possible, after all, to view Pop as something between an infallible genius and a drunken idiot. It makes it virtually impossible to have any sort of nuanced, adult conversation on some of these issues.

TJastal
12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
lol homers all on the defensive cuz spurs won without Pop

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm telling ya, the Spurs need to be coached by the Spurstalk game thread.

They will never win another game otherwise.

We Spurstalk members have made the right call in the past on numerous games. I.E. the 2008 series against the Hornets. We called for Bowen on Peja long before Pop, who waited until we were down 0-2 or 3-1 to the Hornets. Anyways, we need to get back to Spurs Basketball period!!

TJastal
12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Considering Tiago's a NBA rookie, missed out on the preseason because of injury/fatigue, and the Spurs have the no.1 spot; I'm liking how Pop has managed Tiago's minutes in the beginning of the season.

However as long as he doesn't chuck up anymore 3-pointers I see his role only expanding in the near future. With the December home-stand the Spurs should be able to utilize their HCA and get some blowout wins so Tiago can play more. After that the season is going to get much busier for the Spurs and thats when we should be seeing more of Tiago and less of Duncan and even less of McDyess.

So far I've been much more impressed with Neal than Splitter but thats another topic.

The Spurs also don't have the right passers to really utilize Splitter; like RJ he's open so many times but doesn't get the ball. Splitter seems to only really be utilized if Manu's on the court much like Blair last season.

You're stupid.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
We Spurstalk members have made the right call in the past on numerous games. I.E. the 2008 series against the Hornets. We called for Bowen on Peja long before Pop, who waited until we were down 0-2 or 3-1 to the Hornets.Do you ever remember Spurstalk's being wrong?

Yes or no.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:29 PM
lol homers all on the defensive cuz spurs won without Poplol haters on the offensive cuz they think Bud did something Pop wouldn't have.

Play Bonner? Check.

Don't play Splitter? Check.

Small ball FTW? Check.

Cane
You're stupid.

That about sums up Spurstalk's opinion on your posts :toast

Ginobilly
Do you ever remember Spurstalk's being wrong?

Yes or no.

preBonner era, yes. Current Bonner era, a big fattttttttttttttttttttt nooooooooooooo!

Man In Black
Think of this year like 2005. Pop trades for a big in Stone Hands Nazr. A critical component that came in January and learned on the fly. The benefit is that Splitter is already here and learning and having his minutes handled to give him rest after a long, long year of Euro and World Basketball.
I happen to think Pop will unleash him around the same point in the season Pop got Nazr for 2005. Then, we will see Pop go bigger with Splitter taking up more time.
I recall many of us saying that Bonner was going to play a lot during the regular season because of spacing issues he creates when he's making his 3's but I also recall that those same many of us thought that as the playoffs approached that Matt's role was going to decreased because conventional wisdom had it that Pop needed bigs who can battle to take down the Celtics/Lakers and teams of that ilk.

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Do you ever remember Spurstalk's being wrong?

Yes or no.

preBonner era, yes. Current Bonner era, a big fattttttttttttttttttttt nooooooooooooo!

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:30 PM
preBonner era, yes. PostBonner era, a big fattttttttttttttttttttt nooooooooooooo!:rollin

You think Spurstalk is infallible.

That is hilarious.

ElNono
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
There are certainly a small handful of posters who will defend every move of the coach and the FO. OTHO, the Pop-hating lunatic fringe i will plaster the label "apologist" on anyone that doesn't buy into their entire agenda. It is possible, after all, to view Pop as something between an infallible genius and a drunken idiot. It makes it virtually impossible to have any sort of nuanced, adult conversation on some of these issues.

I agree that the apologist card has been overused.
Realistically, Pop isn't going anywhere. He's certainly not infallible either, but then, who is?

GabeIsGone
That's exactly what you are saying.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Of course I'm not asking for him to just do whatever the fans want, that would be ridiculous. More to the point that he should make the changes based on the observations of these team failings. The same observations that almost every knowledgeable fan on the has made, analysed, and come up with a simple, clear solution for. And are now waiting for, clamoring impatiently.

ChumpDumper
I agree that the apologist card has been overused.
Realistically, Pop isn't going anywhere. He's certainly not infallible either, but then, who is?Spurstalk.

ElNono
12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Spurstalk.

:lol

TJastal
12-04-2010, 01:33 PM
That about sums up Spurstalk's opinion on your posts :toast

So now you speak for all of spurstalk? I don't think so.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry, Coach Spurstalk.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:34 PM
So now you speak for all of spurstalk? I don't think so.You could make a poll if that's important to you.

Cane
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
So now you speak for all of spurstalk? I don't think so.

Weren't you the guy that couldn't start threads? I do think so. :toast

Mel_13
12-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Not really saying he should make line up changes based upon this, more like... if concerned fan after concerned fan (someone who should know less than a HOF coach) notices a consistent problem that is persistent year after year. It shouldn't take a genius HOF coach to notice it and at least ATTEMPT to fix it. And yet our HOF coach has consistently not noticed, or ignored, this problem.

1. It is what you said. It may not be what you meant, but it is what you said. Moving on..

2. You assume that the solutions presented by these "concerned fans" would work. Just as now there is growing POV here on ST that starting Splitter and playing him around 25 minutes would improve the fortunes of the team. There really isn't much basis in fact to support this view. It could just as easily be right as wrong.

3. You have to realize that posters on a message board don't really represent the "faithful" in the eyes of the franchise. So there is little chance that they are aware of the opinions expressed here and even less that they would act upon it.

4. The "faithful", in the eyes of the franchise, are the people who spend their money to purchase tickets. How much they would respond to an organized effort of that group isn't known, although they were aware of a group of season ticket holders who refused to renew their subscription until Manu was extended. For now, there are no chants of "we want Splitter" in the arena.

rmt
12-04-2010, 01:36 PM
People, Splitter is here cause of the lakers of the world who actually still play a traditional brand of basketball with 2 bigs on the floor, not this small ball stuff that most teams play. He will get his chance, whats the hurry as long as the spurs are winning games.

If Splitter is only getting 8 mins a game against the bottom dwellers like LAC and MIN, what's the chance that Pop is going to play him in big games against LAL and BOS? The Spurs are going to go after those games, and Splitter probably won't even see the court - much less get meaningful minutes against the traditional 2 big lineups.

Manufan909
12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
He isn't going to forsake Dice, Bonner, and Blair just for the sake of making Splitter a big minutes guy. He is doing it right, he is going to need all those guys playing their best basketball by the time the playoffs start. All those guys play substantial roles depending on the teams we are playing and the match ups. I want Splitter in there soaking up more minutes just as much as the next guy, but it's gonna happen as we get deeper and deeper into the season.

I have to think that part of the Splitter neglect is because CIA Pop doesn't want to give away anything. Is that the best thing? I don't know. I don't think the Lakers or Mavs are oblivious about Splitter. I almost rather him try the different court combinations and matchups on the floor so that Splitter gets more experience by the time the playoffs roll in. But then again maybe it's a good strategy to tuck away Splitter from certain teams and match ups and then unleash him later and hope that he wreaks havoc on opposing teams when it matters.

In Pop I trust :toast

Wouldn't it be smarter to not hold off on the 2nd most talented big, who is arguably already the best overall on defense, even though he has by far the least amount of chemistry, and knowledge of the NBA players/game/refs?

In Pop I do not trust when it comes to playing better players over his mancrushes.

BOHOLANO#21
12-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Fuck popovich!!! I feel sorry for splitter...I guess scola is lucky he didn't have to go through the shit that splitter is having now.....

Chomag
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
It's starting to look more and more that Splitter's intended roll for this season is to just be Duncan's back up. Of course thats only based of a current observation and might not be the case but I think thats how it's starting to look like.

Manufan909
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM

The Spurs also don't have the right passers to really utilize Splitter; like RJ he's open so many times but doesn't get the ball. Splitter seems to only really be utilized if Manu's on the court much like Blair last season and Oberto the years before.

That's a little unfair, considering Neal has played a hundred minutes more than Splitter so far. Plus, Neal actually gets the ball when he's open. You yourself pointed out Splitter doesn't get the same treatment.

Both Tony and Manu know how to pass to Splitter, so it'll be amazing when Splitter finally starts, with McDyess and Blair as the backups.

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 01:53 PM
1. It is what you said. It may not be what you meant, but it is what you said. Moving on..

2. You assume that the solutions presented by these "concerned fans" would work. Just as now there is growing POV here on ST that starting Splitter and playing him around 25 minutes would improve the fortunes of the team. There really isn't much basis in fact to support this view. It could just as easily be right as wrong. Yes, but when the same approach has failed for the past 3 years, why not try something different? I'm willing to go down with Tim, Splitter, Jefferson, Ginobili, Parker, and Hill(our six best players) during crunch time in the playoffs.

3. You have to realize that posters on a message board don't really represent the "faithful" in the eyes of the franchise. So there is little chance that they are aware of the opinions expressed here and even less that they would act upon it.

If they would of listen more to us, we could easily won 2 more championships.

4. The "faithful", in the eyes of the franchise, are the people who spend their money to purchase tickets. How much they would respond to an organized effort of that group isn't known, although they were aware of a group of season ticket holders who refused to renew their subscription until Manu was extended. For now, there are no chants of "we want Splitter" in the arena.
The majority of the people(clueless fat mexicans, and upper-class white people) who attend the games don't understand the science of basketball like we basketball geeks do.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
The majority of the people(clueless fat mexicans, and upper-class white people) who attend the games don't understand the science of basketball like we basketball geeks do. Coach Spurstalk is infallible and a little racist too.

Manufan909
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM

2. You assume that the solutions presented by these "concerned fans" would work. Just as now there is growing POV here on ST that starting Splitter and playing him around 25 minutes would improve the fortunes of the team. There really isn't much basis in fact to support this view. It could just as easily be right as wrong.

That's because the average fan isn't as informed of Splitter's potential, and past accomplishments. At least the Cavaliers game was here, Splitter's lone offensive dream game so far.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 02:00 PM
That's because the average fan isn't as informed of Splitter's potential, and past accomplishments.Or his injuries.

jag
12-04-2010, 02:02 PM
The majority of the people(clueless fat mexicans, and upper-class white people) who attend the games don't understand the science of basketball like we basketball geeks do.

I keep forgetting that having access to the internets and posting on a basketball forum makes you smarter.

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I keep forgetting that having access to the internets and posting on a basketball forum makes you smarter.

well, now you know for sure.:toast

jag
12-04-2010, 02:08 PM
That's because the average fan isn't as informed of Splitter's potential, and past accomplishments. At least the Cavaliers game was here, Splitter's lone offensive dream game so far.

The average fan just wants to see star players or their favorite players. If the team wins then it's an added bonus.

I want to see Splitter play just as much as I wanted to see Hill play in his rookie year, and just as much as i wanted to see Mahinmi play during his first two rookie seasons. But If the Spurs are winning then Splitter's PT is where it needs to be, regardless of what that number is.

Man In Black
12-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Come February...I have a feeling you'll see I'm right. Where's that ol skool Kluby Back Patter?

chazley
12-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry, but in the limited minutes Splitter has played, he has overall looked fatigued and below-average on offense. I've seen glimpses of him being a potentially great pick-n-roll player, but Blair and Tim are better than he is at the PnR at this point in his career, plus McDyess is one of the better pick-n-pop players in the league. Plus, Pop is obviously a fan of the pre-historic ages when dinosaurs roamed the earth, because he puts Bonner out there so he can do his best t-rex impersonation while running around the court, which further cuts into Splitter's time. We all know Pop likes floor spacing, and it's obvious that Splitter J isn't up to par, which means he's only gonna be paired with McDyess or Bonner 90% of the time.

Not only does Splitter not have a mid-range game, he also is an average at best rebounder. Until Tiago gives Pop a reason to play him, I don't see why he is entitled to get minutes because he has 'potential'.

Tiago is basically only good against one team in the league for us: The Lakers. Tiago will do a great job guarding Pau, since they have played against each other in the international game and Tiago I'm sure is familiar with his game. Plus, Tiago can play next to Tim against the Lakers. Against every other team in the league, his skills are redundant because everything he is good at right now, someone on this team is better than him. The only thing he is better at than everyone else is pick and roll defense, but he becomes a liability on offense because when we put him in there to guard the pick-n-roll, Pop likes to have another floor-spacing big which means Tiago has to play with either McDyess or Bonner, neither of whom are good at protecting the rim, and it means we can't play Blair or Duncan, our two best big men.

Until Pop changes his philosophy (he won't) of having a floor-spacing big man on the floor at all times, Splitter simply doesn't have alot of minutes to play until he develops a mid-range game.

TJastal
12-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Sorry, but in the limited minutes Splitter has played, he has overall looked fatigued and below-average on offense. I've seen glimpses of him being a potentially great pick-n-roll player, but Blair and Tim are better than he is at the PnR at this point in his career, plus McDyess is one of the better pick-n-pop players in the league. Plus, Pop is obviously a fan of the pre-historic ages when dinosaurs roamed the earth, because he puts Bonner out there so he can do his best t-rex impersonation while running around the court, which further cuts into Splitter's time. We all know Pop likes floor spacing, and it's obvious that Splitter J isn't up to par, which means he's only gonna be paired with McDyess or Bonner 90% of the time.

Not only does Splitter not have a mid-range game, he also is an average at best rebounder. Until Tiago gives Pop a reason to play him, I don't see why he is entitled to get minutes because he has 'potential'.

Tiago is basically only good against one team in the league for us: The Lakers. Tiago will do a great job guarding Pau, since they have played against each other in the international game and Tiago I'm sure is familiar with his game. Plus, Tiago can play next to Tim against the Lakers. Against every other team in the league, his skills are redundant because everything he is good at right now, someone on this team is better than him. The only thing he is better at than everyone else is pick and roll defense, but he becomes a liability on offense because when we put him in there to guard the pick-n-roll, Pop likes to have another floor-spacing big which means Tiago has to play with either McDyess or Bonner, neither of whom are good at protecting the rim, and it means we can't play Blair or Duncan, our two best big men.

Until Pop changes his philosophy (he won't) of having a floor-spacing big man on the floor at all times, Splitter simply doesn't have alot of minutes to play until he develops a mid-range game.

So how did the spurs manage to win with Fabricio Oberto as their starting center?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Spreading the floor is the reason Blair starts alongside Duncan.

Coach Spurtalk says so.

rmt
12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
But If the Spurs are winning then Splitter's PT is where it needs to be, regardless of what that number is.

Those regular season wins really did the Cavs a lot of good last year. God forbid the Spurs prepare for the real contenders - LAL (Gasol, Bynum, Odom) and BOS (KG, Perkins, Shaq, J O'Neal, Big Baby Davis). Spurs will get killed playing Duncan, Dice, and Bonner while Blair gets spot mins. and Splitter sits on the bench.

chazley
12-04-2010, 02:36 PM
So how did the spurs manage to win with Fabricio Oberto as their starting center?

First off, they aren't the same player, which you imply.

Second, Fab had a better mid-range game than Splitter (which doesn't say much for Fab).

Third, that 2007 team wasn't nearly as talented at the 4/5 as this Spurs team. Fab didn't have the competition at the center spot that Tiago does now.

Fourth, in 2007 Horry was our only floor-spacing big man, and he was on his last legs. Changing our system to fit Fab instead of a floor-spacing 4/5 type was a necessity, unlike now.

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 02:43 PM
First off, they aren't the same player, which you imply.

Second, Fab had a better mid-range game than Splitter (which doesn't say much for Fab).

Third, that 2007 team wasn't nearly as talented at the 4/5 as this Spurs team. Fab didn't have the competition at the center spot that Tiago does now.

Fourth, in 2007 Horry was our only floor-spacing big man, and he was on his last legs. Changing our system to fit Fab instead of a floor-spacing 4/5 type was a necessity, unlike now.

We don't need Splitter to spread the floor because Duncan could play the stretch 4 role. We need Splitter to provide defense, rebounding, garbage points, screens, cuts, hard fouls, etc or in other words, a traditional center.

TJastal
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
We don't need Splitter to spread the floor because Duncan could play the stretch 4 role. We need Splitter to provide defense, rebounding, garbage points, screens, cuts, hard fouls, etc or in other words, a traditional center.

Yup a traditional center that is young and reasonably athletic playing alongside Timmy would do so much good for him, not just physically but mentally as well.

Pop's such a blind idiot not to see this.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Mentally?

Dr. Coach Spurstalk is also a psychiatrist.

rmt
12-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Tiago is basically only good against one team in the league for us: The Lakers. Tiago will do a great job guarding Pau, since they have played against each other in the international game and Tiago I'm sure is familiar with his game. Plus, Tiago can play next to Tim against the Lakers.

All the more reason for Splitter to get minutes instead of Bonner since the championship goes through LA.

Against every other team in the league, his skills are redundant because everything he is good at right now, someone on this team is better than him. The only thing he is better at than everyone else is pick and roll defense, but he becomes a liability on offense because when we put him in there to guard the pick-n-roll, Pop likes to have another floor-spacing big which means Tiago has to play with either McDyess or Bonner, neither of whom are good at protecting the rim, and it means we can't play Blair or Duncan, our two best big men.

I don't see Blair as one of our 2 best big men. Duncan and Dice will close the games in the playoffs. I don't think it's necessary for Splitter to develop a mid-range game. He does everything better than Bonner except for (3pt) shooting.

There's that all too familiar phrase that "Defense wins Championships." If that statement is true, then Splitter should be playing instead of Bonner. In the playoffs, IMO the big man rotation should be Duncan, Dice, Splitter with Bonner and Blair splitting spot minutes depending on situation/team.

DesignatedT
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Mentally?

TJastal
12-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Mentally?

It's pretty simple, really. Duncan has always insisted on being labeled a 'power forward'. Can you infer anything from this? That is, if you can take Pop's dick out of your mouth long enough..

Ginobilly
12-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Yup a traditional center that is young and reasonably athletic playing alongside Timmy would do so much good for him, not just physically but mentally as well.

Pop's such a blind idiot not to see this.

According to some here, players like Chandler, Perkins, Noah, Shaq, would probably be a bad fit on the Spurs because they have no jumpshot and would clog up the lanes for Parker, Manu, and Jefferson to penetrate. When is Channing Fyre(Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_'s brother) contract expiring? It would be so awesome for him to take Matt Bonner's role after Matt retires.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
It's pretty simple, really. Duncan has always insisted on being labeled a 'power forward'. Can you infer anything from this?No. I can't. Dr. Coach Spurstalk insists Richard Jefferson was playing center in the fourth last night.

That is, if you can take Pop's dick out of your mouth long enough..Dr. Coach Spurstalk repeatedly posts his explicit homosexual fantasies about me. Can you infer anything from that?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
According to some here, players like Chandler, Perkins, Noah, Shaq, would probably be a bad fit on the Spurs because they have no jumpshot and would clog up the lanes for Parker, Manu, and Jefferson to penetrate. When is Channing Fyre(Sean Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_'s brother) contract expiring? It would be so awesome for him to take Matt Bonner's role after Matt retires.Dr. Coach Spurstalk knows the real way to spell Sean's name.

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
No. I can't. Dr. Coach Spurstalk insists Richard Jefferson was playing center in the fourth last night.

Dr. Coach Spurstalk repeatedly posts his explicit homosexual fantasies about me. Can you infer anything from that?

:sleep Another ST topic, another Tjastal beatdown.

ulosturedge
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't it be smarter to not hold off on the 2nd most talented big, who is arguably already the best overall on defense, even though he has by far the least amount of chemistry, and knowledge of the NBA players/game/refs?

In Pop I do not trust when it comes to playing better players over his mancrushes.

So you are saying you would rather have started the season by letting Blair,Dice, and Bonner rot on the bench and played Tiago heavy minutes? Force the team to re-establish their chemistry from scratch? In the process probably getting less out of a rusty Dice and Bonner ect., and more then likely not have had the best record at this point in the season.

We have the best record in the league right now, our team is deep as hell(because we are allowing everyone to contribute), and Tiago is already getting more minutes then Mahinmi ever did. And it's still really fucking early in the season! What more do you want?!

biskvito
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
ChumpDumper, I can infer something about your endless one-liners and your 50000+ post count, but I'll just say:

"Pollyanna Poppers Bonku reading group."

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
ChumpDumper, I can infer something about your endless one-liners and your 50000+ post count, but I'll just say:

"Pollyanna Poppers Bonku reading group."I'm sure that's easier than actually thinking of something yourself.

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I am still in wait and see mode with regards to Tiago's game/role. Maybe due to the injury and long Summer combined with the fact the NBA season is much longer than what Tiago is used to, Pop is really holding off.

That still doesn't explain Tiago getting DNPs. I have yet to hear an explanation on how that makes sense?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
I am still in wait and see mode with regards to Tiago's game/role. Maybe due to the injury and long Summer combined with the fact the NBA season is much longer than what Tiago is used to, Pop is really holding off.

That still doesn't explain Tiago getting DNPs. I have yet to hear an explanation on how that makes sense?Haven't other Spurs gotten nights off when their minutes are being monitored?

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 05:10 PM
and has CONSISTENTLY NOT made the rotational adjustments clamored for year after year by the spurs faithful )

Why would Pop want coaching advice from the "spurs faithful"? Are we more qualified to coach than Pop?

Well, just off the top of my head, I'd say his overall winning record of 752-365, his 4 championships, his 13 consecutive playoff appearances, his ability to evaluate NBA talent in the later rounds of the draft, like Ginoboli, Parker, and Hill, to name a few. Is Pop a "basketball genius that can do no wrong season after season"? Only a dufus would think that. He makes mistakes and some boneheaded decisions like anyone else. But if you think Pop isn't a good coach, your a fool.

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM
His minutes aren't being monitored in the sense you are implying. That is like saying Quinn's minutes are being monitored. Monitoring minutes means you have a player that needs to play an important role on a nightly basis and they have to watch minutes to try and prevent wear & tear.

The Spurs getting nights off when their minutes are being monitored are usually giving DNP's on back-to-backs; like Tim Duncan.

Tiago is not in that situation. Tiago is getting multiple DNP's that have nothing to do with playing too many minutes the night before.

Tiago should never have a DNP in my opinion.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 05:21 PM
His minutes aren't being monitored in the sense you are implying. That is like saying Quinn's minutes are being monitored. Monitoring minutes means you have a player that needs to play an important role on a nightly basis and they have to watch minutes to try and prevent wear & tear.That is specious reasoning. The Quinn comparison is false. The important role Splitter is to play is in the future.

The Spurs getting nights off when their minutes are being monitored are usually giving DNP's on back-to-backs; like Tim Duncan.

Tiago is not in that situation. Tiago is getting multiple DNP's that have nothing to do with playing too many minutes the night before.Tiago played basketball the full calendar year, only taking time off for multiple injuries. His DNPs could easily be coming from an acknowledgment of all the cumulative toll this has taken on Splitter. It's not like the Spurs have never experienced a flame-out of a player after a summer of international competition.

Tiago should never have a DNP in my opinion.Great.

It's nice to have an opinion.

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
Tiago should never have a DNP in my opinion.

+1. IMO I think we will be seeing fewer and fewer DNPs for Splitter as the season rolls along.

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 05:43 PM
So what is your opinion Chump? Why is it that Tiago is getting DNPs?

Also, comparing Tiago's minutes and DNP's to Tim/Manu/TP's is specious at best. Unless you can explain how they are similar.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
So what is your opinion Chump? Why is it that Tiago is getting DNPs?Dunno. I'm just saying what it might be.

Pop also might think that Splitter is horrible.

TD 21
12-04-2010, 06:27 PM
You're getting into it with people non stop because they're not all apologists like you? Stupid them for having an opinion on a message board. What were they thinking?

But I don't want to take up too much of your time, I'm sure you've got some more thread policing to get to . . .

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:30 PM
You're getting into it with people non stop because they're not all apologists like you? Stupid them for having an opinion on a message board. What were they thinking?I'm all for their having opinions on a message board.

Even if they are stupid.

Not all of them are.

But I don't want to take up too much of your time, I'm sure you've got some more thread policing to get to . . .As I said, scores of butturt posters.

Tough shit.

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think he was begrudging me for my opinion :lol, he just comes off that way.

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 06:31 PM
I certainly don't think my opinion was stupid however.

SpurCharger
12-04-2010, 06:33 PM
I Understand Bonner can Hit the Three ball..... I understand Blair Is A Monster on the Glass........ But Splitter should play over both of them..... He is A way better defender then both of them....and could easily grab 8-10 boards a game with 25 to 30 mins....

Fabbs
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
It's nice to have an opinion.
Your raspberry chocolate chip cookies got a delicious review at the initial PollyAnna Poppers party.

Your and Eric_Parks baking efforts do not go unnoticed and should be a hit again today.

peskypesky
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey, i want to see more of Splitter on the floor. i think most of us do. but you cannot argue with our record. Pop is making the right choices.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm a butthurt douche.

TD 21
12-04-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm all for their having opinions on a message board.

Even if they are stupid.

Not all of them are.

As I said, scores of butturt posters.

Tough shit.

No, you're not. You're all for everyone going along with whatever it is the Spurs are doing at a particular time.

Pop could start Quinn at center, play him all 48 minutes, give up 50 and 30 to the opposing center and you'd still be here with your tongue firmly lodged in his ass, mocking the fans.

I'm not "butthurt" about anything. I just find it funny that you're doing exactly what you accuse so many of doing and that is repeating the same shit over and over. Same old tired played out schtick.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:44 PM
No, you're not. You're all for everyone going along with whatever it is the Spurs are doing at a particular time.Nope.

You are free to have your opinion.

I am free to disagree.

You are free to whine about it.

Pop could start Quinn at center, play him all 48 minutes, give up 50 and 30 to the opposing center and you'd still be here with your tongue firmly lodged in his ass, mocking the fans.Hey, more homoerotic imagery. Seems you can think of little else.

For the record, I am not in favor of playing Quinn at center for any amount of time.

I'm not "butthurt" about anything. I just find it funny that you're doing exactly what you accuse so many of doing and that is repeating the same shit over and over. Same old tired played out schtick.Yeah, you're not butthurt at all. :lol

If you aren't butthurt and don't care about me at all. Don't read my posts and don't reply. It's really quite easy.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Seriously, you guys need to start a thread devoted to whining about me and composing homoerotic fiction involving me.

You're shitting up too many threads by spreading it out.

TD 21
12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Nope.

You are free to have your opinion.

I am free to disagree.

You are free to whine about it.

Yep.

I.

Can.

Play.

This.

Game.

Too.

Hey, more homoerotic imagery. Seems you can think of little else.

For the record, I am not in favor of playing Quinn at center for any amount of time.

Hey, more lame jokes. Seems you can think of little else.

Maybe so, but I'm sure your tongue would still be lodged in Pop's ass if he ever pulled a stunt like that. Because he's an NBA coach and he's won championships, so he's above criticism.

Yeah, you're not butthurt at all. :lol

If you aren't butthurt and don't care about me at all. Don't read my posts and don't reply. It's really quite easy.

Someone takes you to task for something and because you can't think of a witty reply, you resort to the cliche "you're butthurt" bullshit. Then you add the obligatory smile, so as to indicate to others "I'm not taking this seriously, he/she is". Real original.

Generally, I subscribe to your advice, but your posts are polluting virtually every thread going. And it's all the same shit over and over.

The Truth #6
12-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I think it's hard to say if Pop is doing the right thing or not with Splitter. Given his amount of playing time over the Summer, his previous injury, and not being around for any of training camp, it's a stretch to think Pop is going to throw Splitter out into the mix for big minutes right away. Tim's minutes are still slightly lower than last year. Dice is still getting rest. And the team is winning. These are all good things.

I think the dislike for Bonner, which is understandable, is pushing for people to go with Splitter more. If Splitter's minutes don't start going up in about a month, and worse, the team starts losing, then I can see the concern.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Yep.

I.

Can.

Play.

This.

Game.

Too.Actually your game is to whine about me and post homosexual fantasies about me -- which is what you did with the rest of your post. No need to quote that.

Seriously. Quit whining about me and move on with your life. If I irritate you so much, you don't have to read my posts.

TD 21
12-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Actually your game is to whine about me and post homosexual fantasies about me -- which is what you did with the rest of your post. No need to quote that.

Seriously. Quit whining about me and move on with your life. If I irritate you so much, you don't have to read my posts.

The cliches just keep coming with you. If you were going to cop out, why didn't you just say so? Instead you insult my intelligence with this thinly veiled attempt to conceal that fact.

All I'm saying is I think you've gotten out of hand with this defending Pop thing. You've always been an apologist for the organization, but it's like you're on steroids the last few days.

Anyway, you really should get back to policing other threads . . .

Leonard Curse
12-04-2010, 08:54 PM
lmao at the people thinking pop is the one who wins games! lol you guys are a joke theres a reason pop sucks tims *%*$ its because he made pop not the other way around.

pop isnt winning games with his mind blowing lineup fools. its manu tim tony willing this team greatness. pop has shit to do with it anymore and you guys know it. in fact his lineups do more bad than good. he contradicts himself all year long. he says "im playing whoever is playing good thats who i play" saying this when bonner cant miss, of course now that bonner is 1 for 20 just threw 2 inbound passes away in a row he stays in the game?

that makes no sense on any level. he wants tim dice to be rested yet he plays them like theyre 20 years old . hes either an alcoholic or a control freak. either way ive lost alot of respect for him, and as you can see alot of fans have

objective
12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Think of this year like 2005. Pop trades for a big in Stone Hands Nazr. A critical component that came in January and learned on the fly. ...

I happen to think Pop will unleash him around the same point in the season Pop got Nazr for 2005. Then, we will see Pop go bigger with Splitter taking up more time.

I think this is the second thread I've seen you post this Nazr comparison and it is quite misleading.

Nazr wasn't unleashed by Pop. He was averaging about 14 minutes a game in 17 contests and 10 mpg in the last 5 of those until Rasho sprained his ankle and was sidelined into the first round of the playoffs. Furthermore, the back 11 of those 17 were without Duncan who was out with his anke injury (though really it was 10 and he played 2 minutes in what I'm counting as 11th). I do remember Nazr having a nagging injury when he arrived, but he just wasn't playing even with Duncan out.

Nazr was only starting and playing more than 14 minutes a contest for the last 6 games of the regular season. Actually Horry started one of the last 6 but Nazr averaged 29 the last 6 with Rasho out.
Before that, Rasho started every game he had played.

Nazr wasn't getting unleashed on anything without Rasho getting injured.

yavozerb
12-04-2010, 09:26 PM
lmao at the people thinking pop is the one who wins games! lol you guys are a joke theres a reason pop sucks tims *%*$ its because he made pop not the other way around.

pop isnt winning games with his mind blowing lineup fools. its manu tim tony willing this team greatness. pop has shit to do with it anymore and you guys know it. in fact his lineups do more bad than good. he contradicts himself all year long. he says "im playing whoever is playing good thats who i play" saying this when bonner cant miss, of course now that bonner is 1 for 20 just threw 2 inbound passes away in a row he stays in the game?

that makes no sense on any level. he wants tim dice to be rested yet he plays them like theyre 20 years old . hes either an alcoholic or a control freak. either way ive lost alot of respect for him, and as you can see alot of fans have

:lol, now I have seen it all this season. The spurs are the #1 team in the NBA and fans now are calling out the head coach. Year in and year out pop is always mentioned as a one of the top coaches in the league. Seems to be doing a pretty good so far, oh my bad, I guess your wanting him to lace it up or something. Its one thing to hate on players like bonner or RJ, but to try and hate on pop shows your ignorance of NBA basketball my friend. If he has you hating him that probably indicates how good of a job he is doing, so please keep hating and the W's will keep coming.

jimo2305
12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
lol im truly embarassed at some of y'all.. it's still entertaining to read tho

The Truth #6
12-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Pop always has to have someone in his doghouse. Unfortunately, this year Bonner is in the "reverse doghouse", where the worse he plays the more he plays.

Still, there are way too many positives going on this year with Pop's coaching to get riled up. They found Gary Neal when no one else seemed to remember his name. He got Richard Jefferson to come into camp better then ever, AFTER signing most likely his last extension of his career. Just getting RJ turned around is a coaching miracle in my opinion.

I'm annoyed by Bonner playing more then he should at times, especially with his pansy flopping, but with all the team success this year it just seems silly to get agitated at this point. This is probably our last great season for a while.

Capt Bringdown
12-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Hey, i want to see more of Splitter on the floor. i think most of us do. but you cannot argue with our record. Pop is making the right choices.

You've got to look beyond whatever your record is at the moment and address the weaknesses you have in your team. Complacency and timidity will not improve the team. We've been content and perhaps scared to move beyond Bonner for how many years now? We keep rolling the dice on this turkey, expecting better results.

The Truth #6
12-04-2010, 10:00 PM
You've got to look beyond whatever your record is at the moment and address the weaknesses you have in your team. Complacency and timidity will not improve the team. We've been content and perhaps scared to move beyond Bonner for how many years now? We keep rolling the dice on this turkey, expecting better results.

I agree with you that it's bizarre and illogical. I was shocked they re-signed him. Pop must like him on a personal level. Who knows?

Agloco
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
We know exactly what to expect from Bonner. Yet Pop apparently believes that an increased role and expanded minutes will magically transform Bonner into a reliable basketball player. Even Championship-caliber coaches make terrible mistakes, and clearly Bonner is Pop's Achilles heel.

I'd rather see Splitter developing than Bonner's rollercoaster ride of failure. Bonner in the playoffs, we know how that story ends.

+1

We're getting a sneak-peek at what to expect right now over the past 4-5 games actually.

Splitter needs to have more CONSISTENT minutes. Whether or not he needs to be averaging more overall at this point is a matter of conjecture I'd think.

Agloco
12-04-2010, 10:08 PM
:sleep Another ST topic, another Tjastal beatdown.

Yeap, just watching Chump go off on him once more.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 10:50 PM
The cliches just keep coming with you. If you were going to cop out, why didn't you just say so? Instead you insult my intelligence with this thinly veiled attempt to conceal that fact.What am I supposed to be concealing?

Spit it out.

All I'm saying is I think you've gotten out of hand with this defending Pop thing. You've always been an apologist for the organization, but it's like you're on steroids the last few days.Tough shit.

Your whining has gotten out of hand.

Anyway, you really should get back to policing other threads . . .You should go back to whining about me.

mystargtr34
12-04-2010, 10:55 PM
For me it comes down to 'How are you going to win the championship?'. The teams most likely to be in the way of the Spurs run to the NBA Finals are the Lakers and to a lesser extent the Mavs. Going into series against both of these teams with DeJuan Blair and Matt Bonner playing significant rotation minutes and asking them to be key championship contributors is just asking for failure IMO. You might get by the Hornets or the Thunder though.

At the end of the day the NBA is still a big mans league... and the war is won underneath the basket... shotblocking.. rebounding.. consistent high percentage looks at the basket... and preventing the opposition from getting these looks ... ingredients that are sustainable and dont depend on luck or law of averages such as 3 point shooting or one dimensional players who suffer 'off games'.

If your going to win a championship... you have to have players who are getting key minutes to be able to bring a winning aspect of basketball each and every single night in the playoffs... and that has to be there when thing get tough and the ball isnt going in the basket. Its no coincidence every single championship team in the last 20 years outside of Michael Jordan's Bulls... heck every single championship team in NBA history outside of Jordan's Bulls ...has had size and elite level interior defense and scoring and elite rebounding. Every single championship team.

We all know what Bonner provides in the playoffs...and honestly i dont really get mad at him anymore... he is what he is.. some players just arent made for the playoffs. When the pressure increases.. he tightens up and it gets to him and that happens to alot of players... players who are far more talented than Bonner.. its not something that he can change or get better at... it comes down to either you have 'it' or you dont. And Bonner simply doesnt have it to succeed in the playoffs.

Blair as a sparkplug or energy big off the bench when the matchup is favourable is definately something that could work for the Spurs in the playoffs. Starting Blair in the playoffs is just giving yourself a handicap.

McDyess will obviously be in the rotation... but he will be 36-37 once the playoffs come around and asking him to be anything more than a 20-25 minute bench big is asking too much. Then you have the size factor with the Lakers.. he could easily be overwhelmed by their size and length.

Before the season started... my opinion was that Splitter was the guy to put us over the top and into the legitimate contender category.. not above the Lakers or Boston .. but in the mix. Integrating him early.. to suffer the bumps and bruises before the playoffs come around.. was IMO the key for the Spurs to get to the next level. So far.. i havent seen anything to change that opinion.

TE
12-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Hell no.

For all intensive purposes, Bonner gets to minutes and this essentially wipes out Splitter's opportunity.

Fuck Bonner, seriously.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:01 PM
BTW, it's "intents and purposes."

TE
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
BTW, it's "intents and purposes."

No it isn't retard.

ducks
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
seriously, you guys need to start a thread devoted to whining about me and composing homoerotic fiction involving me.

You're shitting up too many threads by spreading it out.

you poor baby

Agloco
12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Hell no.

For all intensive purposes, Bonner gets to minutes and this essentially wipes out Splitter's opportunity.

Fuck Bonner, seriously.

:wtf

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:08 PM
No it isn't retard.:lol

you poor babyI'm not speaking for my own benefit. I doubt many others want to read their homosexual fantasies about me.

ChumpDumper
:wtfIt's right, retard!

ducks
you dream about their fantasies do you not

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
you dream about their fantasies do you notNo.

Do you like reading their homosexual fantasies involving me?

TE
12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Lol Chumpdumper with no life, correcting every type of error known to ST. We all know how you got to those 50,000+ posts now.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Lol Chumpdumper with no life, correcting every type of error known to ST.Wait.

Are you saying it's an error now?

ducks
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
you used to be funny asking for links when others said something you disagree with
but now you do not even ask for links
you instead post homosexual fantasies

which is stupid and gay

Agloco
12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
It's right, retard!

Retard I am then. :lol

TE
12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Wait.

Are you saying it's an error now?

Lol extending your post count ever more by asking me a question.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
you used to be funny asking for links when others said something you disagree with
but now you do not even ask for links
you instead post homosexual fantasies

which is stupid and gayCould you give me a link to a homosexual fantasy that I originally posted?

Thanks in advance, ducks.

Agloco
12-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Lol extending your post count ever more by asking me a question.

It might help if you bothered to answer it instead of simply retorting. Help keep Chumps post count down!!!!

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:20 PM
It might help if you bothered to answer it instead of simply retorting. Help keep Chumps post count down!!!!No shit.

It's a yes or no question.

ducks
12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
yes or no

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:23 PM
yes or noThe question wasn't directed at you, ducks.

See, there's another post. This is what I have to deal with.

ducks
12-04-2010, 11:25 PM
see I only have 14 thousand to post tonight to catch YOU

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:27 PM
see I only have 14 thousand to post tonight to catch YOUUm, good luck?

TD 21
12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
What am I supposed to be concealing?

Spit it out.

The cliches just keep coming with you. If you were going to cop out, why didn't you just say so? Instead youinsult my intelligence with this thinly veiled attempt to conceal that fact.

Tough shit.

Your whining has gotten out of hand.Like you think you're on to some hip saying or something. "Tough shit", over and over. Just like your defend-everything-the-Spurs-do retorts.

How has it gotten out of hand? It was one complaint. If you didn't like my "whining", then you shouldn't have responded . . . repeatedly.

You should go back to whining about me.Nah, I've said what I have to say as far as that goes.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:53 PM
What is the cop out?

Please explain without whining.

TE
12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Like you think you're on to some hip saying or something. "Tough shit", over and over. Just like your defend-everything-the-Spurs-do retorts.

How has it gotten out of hand? It was one complaint. If you didn't like my "whining", then you shouldn't have responded . . . repeatedly.

Nah, I've said what I have to say as far as that goes.

Why would you feed the Chump?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Why would you feed the Chump?Why won't you say whether you now consider "for all intensive purposes" an error?

TE
12-05-2010, 12:00 AM
Why won't you say whether you now consider "for all intensive purposes" an error?

If I say it was a slight grammatical error, would you stop posting for the night? Seeing your name pop up in every damn thread is pretty damn annoying.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2010, 12:05 AM
If I say it was a slight grammatical error, would you stop posting for the night? Seeing your name pop up in every damn thread is pretty damn annoying.What does one have anything to do with the other?

Nothing.

Many posters who can't stand me have put me on ignore. Seems to work for them.

Seriously, I just posted the correction because it's a common mistake and can detract from whatever point one is trying to make. It certainly didn't have to go any farther than that.

TE
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
What does one have anything to do with the other?

Nothing.

Many posters who can't stand me have put me on ignore. Seems to work for them.

Seriously, I just posted the correction because it's so common and can detract from whatever point one is trying to make. It certainly didn't have to go any farther than that.

:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
12-05-2010, 12:07 AM
:rolleyesPadding your post count?

#2!
12-05-2010, 12:14 AM

He's 25!

Not that some of the posters you're fucking with aren't stupid, but if you think threads like this are pointless why would you keep them alive by contributing every other post?

And people he's dicking with please don't quote my post to try and win the argument. Do it yourself.

TE
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Padding your post count?

:bang

ChumpDumper
12-05-2010, 12:18 AM
Not that some of the posters you're fucking with aren't stupid, but if you think threads like this are pointless why would you keep them alive by contributing every other post?I think threads like this one are largely superfluous and I'm not even sure that particular post would be seen as hyperbolic by some were it not posted by me.

silverblk mystix
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I think threads like this one are largely superfluous and I'm not even sure that particular post would be seen as hyperbolic by some were it not posted by me.

Give an example of a thread or topic that is acceptable to you. In your estimation-what does a thread have to have for YOU to deem it worthy.

silverblk mystix
12-05-2010, 12:26 AM
...and why not just ignore threads that don't meet your approval?

Why the need to enter every thread and try to police it and/or disparage anyone and everyone that is taking part in it.

And who put you in charge of anything?

ChumpDumper
12-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Give an example of a thread or topic that is acceptable to you. In your estimation-what does a thread have to have for YOU to deem it worthy.This is definitely a worthy topic. I misspoke in saying this one was superfluous -- though someone started the same thread two hours later -- I'd say all the Bonner threads on the front page are superfluous since they are all discussing the same thing.

Blackjack
12-05-2010, 01:34 AM
...and why not just ignore threads that don't meet your approval?

Why the need to enter every thread and try to police it and/or disparage anyone and everyone that is taking part in it.

And who put you in charge of anything?

ChumpDumper. It's not just a name ... it's what he does.

ChumpDumper
12-05-2010, 01:41 AM
...and why not just ignore threads that don't meet your approval?It is not my job to approve. I just do or do not since you asked. Remember when you asked what I thought? I answered. Now you are asking more and I am answering.

Why the need to enter every thread and try to police it and/or disparage anyone and everyone that is taking part in it.I stated my opinion. I didn't disparage everyone in the threads. I was fairly selective.

And who put you in charge of anything?When did I claim to be in charge of anything?

You are laboring under many, many falsehoods. Let me know if I can help you dispel any more myths about me.

Since knowing such things about me seems to be so important to you.

jjktkk
12-05-2010, 01:54 AM

Alot of fans have have lost respect for Pop? By alot of fans, do you mean like your drinking buddies who are Spurs fans? Because the fans I talk to think Pop is a great coach. In fact just today Pop was awarded his 11th coach of the month award. How can such an bad coach receive a award like that if hes a bad coach? I guess the majority of Spurs fans, the NBA, and sports media, are idiots for thinking Pop is a great coach, and only someone as knowledgable as you and a few others know the real truth about Pop's coaching abilities. Congratulations buddy, you truely stand out. :toast

yavozerb
12-05-2010, 08:33 AM
That's not correct. Splitter's team would play about 60 games a year in Europe.

34 in ACB

19-23 in Euroleague

3 in Supercup

3 in Basque league

That's 59-63 games from year to year.

Thanks for the correction...

Quasar
12-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Bonner is the new Finley!

Pop always has to have someone in his doghouse. Unfortunately, this year Bonner is in the "reverse doghouse", where the worse he plays the more he plays.

rr2418
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM
yes, little exaggerated, but i think is right...

he have a nice potential, he can be a good player, like i spoke in other topic.

he need adaptate to the NBA rules, refs, Popovich style and pace of the game... its not easy. Need improve his game, training more medium shot and FT's (he's better day by day in this fundament), increase your muscle mass without losing mobility. my opinion. :rolleyes
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/misc/progress.gif

agree 100% :tu

he have game to play 30 minutes per game, not now, in future, yes. http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/edit.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=4795527)

Either you failed English in high school or you were very sleepy when you wrote this post. :lol

superbigtime
12-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Pop is clearly underplaying Tiago and mindfucking him, Dice, Tony and the city. Pop adulation makes me sick.

yavozerb
12-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Either you failed English in high school or you were very sleepy when you wrote this post. :lol

Or maybe english is his second language? :rolleyes

portnoy1
12-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Kinda makes me wonder sometimes. If the Spurs did trade parker and ended up getting Troy Murphy out of that, would he get more minutes than Bonner?

xellos88330
12-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Splitter has been underachieving and I never really had high expectations of him to begin with. He is getting pushed around in the paint way too easily. His help defense is often superb, however, his rebounding is something to be desired.

On offense he looks quite frustrated by either, not recieving the ball, or missing easy looks. His passing is pretty good though. Perhaps he is adjusting to not being a solid option on the offensive end.

I think Pop is giving Splitter the chances to break out, I just don't think he is quite ready yet. As long as Splitter is recieving minutes, I expect him to eventually be able to crack the rotation as a solid choice off the bench.

jjktkk
12-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Could it be possible that some Spurs fans were viewing Splitter as another Pau Gasol? A sort of big man savior to carry on the Spurs tradition of dominant big men. If some fans view Splitter this way, I could understand the impatience fans have with Splitter's limited playing time so far. I personally do not view Splitter as a top 5 NBA center. But one who could be a solid starter one day. My hope is for Splitter's minutes to increase and for Splitter to become a regular in the rotation.

The Truth #6
12-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Could it be possible that some Spurs fans were viewing Splitter as another Pau Gasol? A sort of big man savior to carry on the Spurs tradition of dominant big men. If some fans view Splitter this way, I could understand the impatience fans have with Splitter's limited playing time so far. I personally do not view Splitter as a top 5 NBA center. But one who could be a solid starter one day. My hope is for Splitter's minutes to increase and for Splitter to become a regular in the rotation.

So you're saying he's not the Brazilian Jesus? What!

Capt Bringdown
12-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Hate to be pessimistic, but it seems Splitter's been designated a garbage-time player by Pop's genius, and he'll not be a factor in the drive for 5.

ezau
12-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Splitter has been underachieving and I never really had high expectations of him to begin with. He is getting pushed around in the paint way too easily. His help defense is often superb, however, his rebounding is something to be desired.

On offense he looks quite frustrated by either, not recieving the ball, or missing easy looks. His passing is pretty good though. Perhaps he is adjusting to not being a solid option on the offensive end.

I think Pop is giving Splitter the chances to break out, I just don't think he is quite ready yet. As long as Splitter is recieving minutes, I expect him to eventually be able to crack the rotation as a solid choice off the bench.

Didn't Splitter already had a breakout against the Cavs? Dude scored 18 points of off PNR with TP.

xellos88330
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Didn't Splitter already had a breakout against the Cavs? Dude scored 18 points of off PNR with TP.

It didn't give him regular rotation minutes.

Tonight's game vs. NO was a huge chance for him to break into the rotation with a decent amount of minutes. It was ugly.

His performance tonight on the offensive end was in no way his fault. The guards need to stop running away from the screen and turn their man in order to get Splitter a GOOD pass on the roll. There was only one instance when Quinn played the roll correctly and got Tiago the ball in stride.

There are clearly chemistry issues with the newcomers and it is to be expected. If Splitter is to be effective, he needs to play with players who can turn their man and attack the basket and get Splitter the ball in stride. There were many instances when Quinn, Hill, Neal couldn't get the ball inside to Tiago when he was open under or very near the basket after he set the screen.

If the ball were to get in to Splitter by Manu, or TP, or anyone else able to get him the ball with a good pass, I would not have been surprised to see Tiago EASILY get 14 points.

GET HIM THE DAMN BALL PEOPLE!!!! Good things usually happen.

jjktkk
12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Hate to be pessimistic, but it seems Splitter's been designated a garbage-time player by Pop's genius, and he'll not be a factor in the drive for 5.

Nothing Splitter can do about it, except showcase his talents for the few minutes that hes given. It sucks having him play only in garbage time, but Splitter needs to makes the most of those garbage time minutes.

Hoops Czar
12-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Nothing Splitter can do about it, except showcase his talents for the few minutes that hes given. It sucks having him play only in garbage time, but Splitter needs to makes the most of those garbage time minutes.

The only thing he does well is take a charge. For that, he deserves garbage time.

jag
12-05-2010, 11:01 PM
The only thing he does well is take a charge. For that, he deserves garbage time.

So that's the only thing?

Hoops Czar
12-05-2010, 11:12 PM
So that's the only thing?

He's a giant flopper. He's in position to take a charge before his man receives the ball. That's his entire defensive arsenal. I'm not buying it's an extended preseason. He's getting dominated on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. He's even struggling to score one on one in garbage time.

SpursDynasty85
12-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I haven't read the other posts in this thread because I don't have time right now, so forgive me if someone else already made this point:

Splitter doesn't look good right now and I agree that it probably isn't a good idea he play too much right now. Splitter looks out of sync and very jumpy. The only way to work this through this is one-on-one coaching or just experience with NBA games. Because the Spurs need to win as many games as possible giving him a ton of experience in live games right now probably isn't a good idea.

I am a huge protestor of how Popovich handle's newcombers, especially Splitter this year. I will give Popovich the benefit of doubt for Splitter because of his injuries. That said, making splitter comfortable is still the best chance to win the championship, so I hope Popovich is finding time, whenever wherever he can, to tutor Splitter like he did RJ over the summer. He'll be short on time, but he should definitely invest as much of it as possible.

Go Spurs!

duncan228
12-06-2010, 01:00 AM
From tonight's recap.

Spurs F Tiago Splitter scored five points in 18 minutes, continuing to play only sparingly since being the crown jewel of the club’s offseason moves. Coach Gregg Popovich said Splitter’s impact and minutes have been hurt by him being injured for nearly all of training camp.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010120524

ulosturedge
12-06-2010, 01:24 AM
He is still learning the system. Whatever he is doing on the offensive end is really a moot point because obviously what we need is a defensive presence down low. We have plenty of offensive weapons. He is not the second coming of Scola.

Why do people continue to hate on Pop? The old Pop would have never played a young Hill and Blair as much as he has, and this year Gary Neal is already getting minutes and the same could have been said for JA til he got hurt. Not to mention he got rid of the dreaded Finley, Mason, and Bogans.

I say again we have the best record in the NBA, and it's early as hell in the NBA season still. What more do you guys want? You guys are short sighted as hell, and panicking way to early. Have some patience.

Man In Black
12-06-2010, 01:27 AM
I think this is the second thread I've seen you post this Nazr comparison and it is quite misleading.

Nazr wasn't unleashed by Pop. He was averaging about 14 minutes a game in 17 contests and 10 mpg in the last 5 of those until Rasho sprained his ankle and was sidelined into the first round of the playoffs. Furthermore, the back 11 of those 17 were without Duncan who was out with his anke injury (though really it was 10 and he played 2 minutes in what I'm counting as 11th). I do remember Nazr having a nagging injury when he arrived, but he just wasn't playing even with Duncan out.

Nazr was only starting and playing more than 14 minutes a contest for the last 6 games of the regular season. Actually Horry started one of the last 6 but Nazr averaged 29 the last 6 with Rasho out.
Before that, Rasho started every game he had played.

Nazr wasn't getting unleashed on anything without Rasho getting injured.

It's not misleading in this sense. Think of it in this light: Spurs need a bigger big to compete against teams with Big Frontcourts. RC & Pop engineer a trade to get a bigger big than the one they have now, not named Tim Duncan. The pundits would have us believe that Splitter needs to play as much as he can right now, when in actuality, if the Spurs could integrate Nazr from January05 & on, into a primary contributor, then when can't they do the same with Splitter but with a longer timeframe to allow his body the rest it needed from a full year of competitive ACB, Euroleague, and World Championship play?
I didn't say Pop unleashed Nazr, if it came out that way, that wasn't my intent. I meant that Pop will unleash Splitter around that same time of the season that trade was...January and on. I could be wrong, but what if I'm right?
Besides, doing it the way that they've been doing it...if the Spurs are still winning 16 games for every 3 that they lose, they'd still be #1 and why would we still be going BAMA?

Ice009
12-06-2010, 02:21 AM
From tonight's recap.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010120524

Not this training camp shit again.

That was Pop's excuse for Nazr and why he didn't play him much and completely shut him down for the playoffs.

rmt
12-06-2010, 02:39 AM
It didn't give him regular rotation minutes.

Tonight's game vs. NO was a huge chance for him to break into the rotation with a decent amount of minutes. It was ugly.

His performance tonight on the offensive end was in no way his fault. The guards need to stop running away from the screen and turn their man in order to get Splitter a GOOD pass on the roll. There was only one instance when Quinn played the roll correctly and got Tiago the ball in stride.

There are clearly chemistry issues with the newcomers and it is to be expected. If Splitter is to be effective, he needs to play with players who can turn their man and attack the basket and get Splitter the ball in stride. There were many instances when Quinn, Hill, Neal couldn't get the ball inside to Tiago when he was open under or very near the basket after he set the screen.

If the ball were to get in to Splitter by Manu, or TP, or anyone else able to get him the ball with a good pass, I would not have been surprised to see Tiago EASILY get 14 points.

GET HIM THE DAMN BALL PEOPLE!!!! Good things usually happen.

Ditto. None of the players (Udoka, Neal, Hill, Quinn[once]) could get him the ball. He needs to play pick and roll with Manu or TP.

Looks like Popovich has no intention of putting him in the rotation - only garbage minutes with the 3rd stringers :depressed