PDA

View Full Version : Time to Move Ginobili Back to the Bench?

12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
and george hill to the starting lineup. yes or no? should be able to shave off a few minutes of manu's playing time.

Mel_13
12-04-2010, 05:16 PM
no

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Absolutely not, although I'm sure the question will come up from time to time (especially when it comes to Manu's minutes).

Manu is playing incredible as a starter. Hill is finally coming into his own as the 6th man.

99-03-05-07
12-04-2010, 05:29 PM
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. we are 16-3, we don't need to do anything right now.

12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
more lopsided than i thought. probably will change when time goes on though.

DAF86
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
The Spurs would get worse with this change imo.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I don't think it's necessary to piss of the Church at this time.

chazley
12-04-2010, 05:42 PM
The vote for dumbest thread of the day goes to...

DesignatedT
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Nah but his minutes definitely need to be cut down. He is playing 4 or 5 minutes too many a game and it's up to George to pick up the slack when Manu is on the bench.

bbarry
12-04-2010, 06:05 PM
if it ain't broke, don't fix it. we are 16-3, we don't need to do anything right now.

then yall all come back bitchin when manu is worn out and has nothing left for the playoffs.

timtonymanu
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
No Hill is finally getting use to his role. Manu should get less playing time but with Hill emerging, I think we'll see less Manu.

DAF86
12-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think it's necessary to piss of the Church at this time.

Forget about the imaginary church, do you think this move would help the Spurs or not?

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Forget about the imaginary church, do you think this move would help the Spurs or not?I don't think it would make much difference at this point. The early trend is Manu's shooting stinks on the end of back to backs. It sure sucked last night, but that could just be a fluke so no need to bug about it yet.

And as you are proving, the Church is very, very real.

12-04-2010, 06:12 PM
don't be so quick to say no. as stated by many people in that timvp thread, ginobili already looks fatigued, running on dead legs. sure the spurs can keep him in the starting lineup and reduce his minutes but the most efficient way of reducing his minutes is moving him back to the bench. other benefits include:

fixing duncan's offensive problems. he said it himself that he is a rhythm player, and getting more touches early will help him out a lot.

give splitter, when his ass isn't nailed to the bench, more playing time with manu. we all saw the impact manu had on blair last year when they played the pick and roll together. could see the same result with splitter and finally give pop a reason to play him.

DesignatedT
12-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm not writing the idea off like most around here but I don't think its a necessary move at this point. Hill is coming aroun and starting to learn his role off the bench and you can still start Manu and limit his minutes.

He is definitely playing too many minutes right now though, and people who don't realize this are blind.

DAF86
12-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Really? Where it is? maybe I can go make a visit.

I think Manu should stay as a starter and play around 35 mins per game, I'm such a homer.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Really? Where it is maybe I can go make a visit?You're here.

I think Manu should stay as a starter and play around 35 mins per game, I'm such a homer.You haven't given me any quote saying he wanted to do that and you haven't shown that he has played that many minutes at any time in his career.

I'd like to see both. It would make me feel more comfortable with playing him so much.

Thanks in advance.

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 06:27 PM
no hill is finally getting use to his role. Manu should get less playing time but with hill emerging, i think we'll see less manu.

+1.

ohmwrecker
12-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Absolutely not. As already mentioned, Hill is starting to play as expected and Anderson will be back in January. Those two factors alone will give Pop some flexibility with Manu's minutes.
I see the concern with Manu looking gassed the last couple of games, but this has occurred during a small slump from TP. So, Manu has been expending more energy than normal. If things don't start to even out in the next week or so, then it might be time for a line-up change. Right now, we are just looking at a two game slide in which the Spurs finished 1-1. The management of Manu's minutes isn't going to be a fix-all at this point. The Spurs need more than that to keep this elite status they have now. Team defense and lack of post game are the biggest culprits right now.

mingus
12-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Parker's put in some really bad games the last week or so except for the last one against Minny. i don't think Manu playing 33 minutes is that big of a deal, it's been Parker not helping him out. Manu at 33 mins per game is decieving because he's not even driving that much this year, he's mostly shooting jumpers at a very high rate. but if Parker's not helping on offense, he's out there doing too much himself, instead of being able to play off of Parker.

Rito3d30
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
of course not
just drop his MPG
then he'll be fine

he looked extremely tired in the last few games

rascal
12-04-2010, 08:20 PM
If it helps Hill's confidence then it is a good move. The spurs need Hill playing at top form and Splitter a major player in the rotation if they have any chance at the Lakers this year.

ducks
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
mentally pop had to say hill was his favorite player
mentally tough hill is not
starting him would not hurt

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
No. Like everybody else is saying, lower his minutes.

angelbelow
12-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Nope

Bambililos
12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I said yes, but it's probably better to wait a little it and see.

TimmehC
12-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Tony would be a better option as 6th man at this point. But George is playing incredibly well, so if it ain't broke...

DPG21920
12-04-2010, 09:29 PM
mentally pop had to say hill was his favorite player
mentally tough hill is not
starting him would not hurt

I think a fortune cookie hacked your account.

phyzik
12-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Our bench is pretty good.... Nevermind that for the most part, Manu is still in the game when the bench comes in.

The question should be how the Spurs can lower Manu's minutes but still keep him in the starting linup as well as working with the bench.

Agloco
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Our bench is pretty good.... Nevermind that for the most part, Manu is still in the game when the bench comes in.

The question should be how the Spurs can lower Manu's minutes but still keep him in the starting linup as well as working with the bench.

+1

It's all about regulating Manus minutes going forward. Whether or not he's starting doesn't matter

SA210
12-05-2010, 03:36 AM
Hell NO!

UnWantedTheory
12-05-2010, 04:03 AM
our bench is pretty good.... Nevermind that for the most part, manu is still in the game when the bench comes in.

the question should be how the spurs can lower manu's minutes but still keep him in the starting linup as well as working with the bench.

UnWantedTheory
12-05-2010, 04:04 AM
+1

It's all about regulating Manus minutes going forward. Whether or not he's starting doesn't matter
^^^

Slippy
12-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Nah but his minutes definitely need to be cut down. He is playing 4 or 5 minutes too many a game and it's up to George to pick up the slack when Manu is on the bench.

would be nice to see the his teammates pick up the slack when he's on the court too. A lot of focus on Manu's mins . Rightfully so, but im more concerned that he's been forced to carry the team on offense the last handful of games. Too many glimpses of Manu going all-out which i would rather see him save for the play-offs.

When's the real Tony going to show up?

Josepatches_
12-05-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm tired of talking about his minutes.

Tim has to play less minutes,Manu has to play less minutes.........who is going to play?
We have to win the games. It seems that we are the fucking Dream Team so we can give rest to everybody because nobody can't defeat us. Maybe we can sit Manu until February.

Right now TD is playing less minutes than ever.That's good but you can't do it with the 2 best players of the team.And what about Tony? he has to play less minutes to be fresh in the playoffs.And Hill?

C'mon..they aren't playing 40 minutes per game like Gasol.Let Pop do his work.

polandprzem
12-05-2010, 06:57 AM

Tim has to play less minutes,Manu has to play less minutes.........who is going to play?
We have to win the games. It seems that we are the fucking Dream Team so we can give rest to everybody because nobody can't defeat us. Maybe we can sit Manu until February.

Right now TD is playing less minutes than ever.That's good but you can't do it with the 2 best players of the team.And what about Tony? he has to play less minutes to be fresh in the playoffs.And Hill?

Myn fricking and 1 since forverer

lotr1trekkie
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM
By mid-season Manu and Tim should sit out back to backs. The West playoffs are loaded all the way around. Anything is possible! Doesn't really make much difference where we finish as long as the B3 are ready to roll in April.

peacemaker885
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
No. Like somebody already said - if it aint broke, don't fix it. You will be messing with Manu, George as well as the first 5 chemistry.

Slippy
12-07-2010, 07:29 AM

True that. COM should really stand for two things. Church of Manu and Church of Mins.

SpurSpurSpurs
12-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes. It's time for Manu to be the 6th man again. I'd take the early chemistry problem than fatigue come the latter part of the season/playoffs/finals(IF).

Now if Pop does this, please don't overdo it like what you did last year.

elbamba
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Pop can manage Manu's minutes as a starter. He is doing fine with Tim. Manu said he wanted to have a strong start as a team so that we were not fighting and killing ourselves to make it into the playoffs as an 8th seed. Manu asked for the responsibility and now he is getting it. He is not going 40 minutes a game, he will live.

it's me
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Time to Move Ginobili Back to the Bench?

Wait until we start losing and … yes .. why not.

TMTTRIO
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
I don't understand why people want Manu to go back to the bench when they're talking about protecting his minutes and him. It's not going to help. In fact it will hurt him more. Manu feels more pressure and plays a lot harder (risking injuries) when he has to come off the bench. Now that he's a starter he's playing with Tim and Tony and is able to pace himself better. Have you noticed how more relaxed and more energy he is when he doesn't have to go all out from the moment he steps in?

PDXSpursFan
12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Why people thing that is necessary that Manu should come off the bench to limit his minutes? :bang He can be a starter and his minutes can still be managed. Being a starter and playing time are two different/independent things

phxspurfan
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Sure, why the hell not.

phxspurfan
12-07-2010, 06:25 PM
He won't last through May/June playing more than 25 minutes per game. And even then he will get injured at some point.

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2010, 08:39 PM
A dude like Manu doesn't come around very often. Argentines are crazy about sports in general, so it's no surprise we're really proud of Manu...frankly, any Spur fan can say that. He's also the reason why I began supporting the Spurs. I've essentially lived my entire life in the US, basketball has long been my favorite sport, and before Manu there had never been a star like him from Argentina in the sport. He played an enormous role in putting Argentina on the basketball map for a good amount of years, and this actually means something to me.

So, from my perspective, I don't see another Manu coming around for quite some time. Should I refrain from being such a big fan?

Ace
12-07-2010, 08:42 PM
IMO Spurs are better having Hill off the bench because of versatility. He's young and can bring good energy.

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.spurschick.com/church.jpg

ALVAREZ6
12-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Matt Bonner is the only person that needs a minute reduction.

Let Splitter get some experience.

Waps1980
12-07-2010, 09:52 PM
It would be good to get Manu working from the bench with splitter helping him find his feet, Manu seems to suit that roll well that of bringing in new players.
RJ played best with Manu last year.

Saying that Manu's time even as a starter after the first change could be paired with splitter for the middle portion of the game.

007nites
12-07-2010, 10:04 PM

I totally agree with everything that you said.

SpursDynasty85
12-07-2010, 11:54 PM
If it helps Hill's confidence then it is a good move. The spurs need Hill playing at top form and Splitter a major player in the rotation if they have any chance at the Lakers this year.

I think the best way to maximize Hill is giving him the responsibility of controlling the 2nd unit. Hill is not a pure shooting gaurd nor pure pointgaurd. He is a playmaker. He will be challenged more in the 2nd unit and should benefit more there than playing in the starting line up as a pure scoring gaurd.