PDA

View Full Version : Pop Named Coach Of The Month

nbaman99
12-04-2010, 07:35 PM
SAN ANTONIO, TX (Dec. 1, 2010) -- The San Antonio Spurs’ Gregg Popovich and the Boston Celtics’ Doc Rivers today were named the NBA Western and Eastern Conference Coaches of the Month, respectively, for games played in October and November.

Popovich led the Spurs to an NBA-best 15-2 (.882) record, the best start in franchise history, including 12 straight wins in November. San Antonio is the only team to win all eight of its road games so far, with key wins at Phoenix, Oklahoma City, Utah and New Orleans. While the Spurs’ 107.8 points per game rank third in the NBA, their +9.0 differential leads the league.

This marks the 11th time that Popovich has been named the NBA’s Coach of the Month. He last received the honor in November of 2007 when the Spurs started the season 14-3 (October/November 2007). Popovich joins Phil Jackson as the only two active coaches who have won the award 11 times. Only Pat Riley has earned the NBA’s Coach of the Month award more times than Popovich and Jackson, receiving the award a record 12 times. The NBA’s Coach of the Month award first started in the 1982-83 season and later split into the Western and Eastern Conference awards beginning in the 2002-03 season.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/pop_cotm_101201.html

jjktkk
12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
How could Pop be named coach of the month, when some of our expert coach evaluators on here claim he sucks as a coach. Damn media, what do they know? :lol

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-04-2010, 08:57 PM
This award just doesn't seem right considering everybody on this forum has been bashing him....:lol

angelbelow
12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
How could Pop be named coach of the month, when some of our expert coach evaluators on here claim he sucks as a coach. Damn media, what do they know? :lol

You pay too much attention to the trolls, the stupid, and the weak here on Spurstalk. The fact of the matter is Pop is a top 3 coach in this league, I would say its arguable between Pop, Phil, and Rivers. I doubt there are many serious basketball fans that would argue against that notion. However, that doesn't mean Pop is indestructible and only makes perfect decisions. He's made some mistakes in the past few games, there's nothing wrong with discussing them.

Btw, I wonder how much the Laker fans are bitching about Gasols minutes? IMO its justified, hes playing a shit ton and injured him as a result of it, but hey PJ lead them to b2b championships right? why question him?

Congrats to Pop, he probably doesn't care about this accolade but he surely deserved it.

Fabbs
12-04-2010, 09:16 PM
This award means much more to us then a legit NBA title. I'd rather we have a glitzy 64-18 record with Matty Bonner getting major minutes and lose in the playoffs then get a title. Anyone else who doesnt is a dumbass! Over to Chumpys for some tea!
Go for it.

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm a douche who prefers to see the Spurs lose.

Agloco
12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
This award just doesn't seem right considering everybody on this forum has been bashing him....:lol

Yes. SpursTalk has vetoed this award. Send it back. :rolleyes

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Dr. Coach Spurstalk was robbed.

ducks
12-04-2010, 11:16 PM
no it was dr. coach chumpDUMBer

ChumpDumper
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know if I could ever recover from such a devastating pun. :dramaquee

Ditty
12-04-2010, 11:33 PM
so far he has been an dumbass in december

jjktkk
12-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Go for it.

I apologize to you Flabbs. I've noticed that you and your butt buddy Tjastal like to start throwing the homo jokes out there when someone pwns you on a post. I never intended to pwn you, my bad buddy. :toast

ElNono
12-05-2010, 03:03 AM
I know he doesn't give a shit, but congrats Pop :tu

UnWantedTheory
12-05-2010, 04:53 AM
Well deserved.

sananspursfan21
12-05-2010, 12:53 PM

pretty much anybody posting on here arent experts in coaching..... or basketball :rolleyes

tdunk21
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
looking forward to coach of the year and larry o'brien trophy.......

TampaDude
12-05-2010, 09:42 PM
looking forward to coach of the year and larry o'brien trophy.......

:toast

SpursDynasty85
12-05-2010, 09:55 PM
You pay too much attention to the trolls, the stupid, and the weak here on Spurstalk. The fact of the matter is Pop is a top 3 coach in this league, I would say its arguable between Pop, Phil, and Rivers. I doubt there are many serious basketball fans that would argue against that notion. However, that doesn't mean Pop is indestructible and only makes perfect decisions. He's made some mistakes in the past few games, there's nothing wrong with discussing them.

You take your self wayy too seriously. Its very debatable whether Coach Popovich is a top 3 coach at this juncture in his career. We should all thank him for the 4 championships he won, but don't take away from the Players that actually had to play their hearts out to win those championships. Popovich even admits that he is the luckiest coach in the world to have a player like Tim Duncan, who makes his job very easy. Theres nothing wrong with criticizing a coach. Can we admit ALvin Gentry was a much better coach in last years playoffs?

jjktkk
12-05-2010, 11:03 PM
You take your self wayy too seriously. Its very debatable whether Coach Popovich is a top 3 coach at this juncture in his career.

Do you think Pop is a bad coach?

We should all thank him for the 4 championships he won, but don't take away from the Players that actually had to play their hearts out to win those championships. Popovich even admits that he is the luckiest coach in the world to have a player like Tim Duncan, who makes his job very easy.

When did Pop ever say the reason the Spurs won 4 championships was becuse of his coaching? Do you have a link of Pop stating this, or is this just your opinion? Of course the players had to play great to win. And no shit, that Tim Duncan makes Pop's job very easy. Just like Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan made Phil Jackson's job easy. You need great players, as well as great coaching to win a championship.

Theres nothing wrong with criticizing a coach. Can we admit ALvin Gentry was a much better coach in last years playoffs?

Absolutely not. Thats what makes sports fans forums like SpursTalk great. Pop was outcoached last year in the PHX. series. But IMO, the team and Ginoboli in particular, looked worn out and on dead legs in that series. Pop has made some bad decisions, but don't all coaches do? I've never seen a perfect coach, nor a perfect player. I'm just glad Pop is the Spurs coach.

SpursDynasty85
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Do you think Pop is a bad coach?

Absolutely not. He's a good coach and a X and O's genius.

Do I think he is too stubborn? Yes.
Do I think the spurs should get another coach? Yes.

When did Pop ever say the reason the Spurs won 4 championships was becuse of his coaching? Do you have a link of Pop stating this, or is this just your opinion? Of course the players had to play great to win. And no shit, that Tim Duncan makes Pop's job very easy. Just like Kobe Bryant and Michael Jordan made Phil Jackson's job easy. You need great players, as well as great coaching to win a championship.

You misinterpreted my words, so I cannot argue this quote.
I told you what Pop said. I was referring to people who say "Popovich is untouchable as a spurs coach and no other coach is better."

Absolutely not. Thats what makes sports fans forums like SpursTalk great. Pop was outcoached last year in the PHX. series. But IMO, the team and Ginoboli in particular, looked worn out and on dead legs in that series. Pop has made some bad decisions, but don't all coaches do? I've never seen a perfect coach, nor a perfect player. I'm just glad Pop is the Spurs coach.

Pop is great not gonna lie. What he did for the spurs really helped us win those 4 championships. But in the last 3 years, I just disagree with what Pop has done with the team. Trading Luis Scola, Not playing Malik Hairston or Ian Mahinmi, and over using the pick&roll the last 2 years really killed this team. The year before last year was really bad. All I saw every time down the court was multiple Parker Pick&Rolls. A new coach would have been refreshing.

Sean Cagney
12-05-2010, 11:26 PM
so far he has been an dumbass in december

lol.

smrattler
12-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Coach of the Month of November...

Nobody in the league can possibly appreciate this award less than Pop.

Darkwaters
12-06-2010, 01:13 AM
I'd be curious to know which months his other 10 awards came in. My guess would be typically March/April timeframe. There are undoubtedly some exceptions, but how many times has he won it in November? The first month of the season isn't typically his strongest month. It's more the "build the team" kind of feeling out process rather than the time to kick ass and take names.

duncan228
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd be curious to know which months his other 10 awards came in. My guess would be typically March/April timeframe. There are undoubtedly some exceptions, but how many times has he won it in November? The first month of the season isn't typically his strongest month. It's more the "build the team" kind of feeling out process rather than the time to kick ass and take names.

You're right on the money, only one November before this. And he's won the most in March.

Pop earns share of NBA Coach of the Month (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/01/pop-earns-share-of-nba-coach-of-the-month/)
Tim Griffin

...His previous selections came in April 1999, March 2001, March 2002, January 2003, March 2003, December 2003, December 2005, March 2006, March 2007 and November 2007.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/01/pop-earns-share-of-nba-coach-of-the-month/

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167332

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Absolutely not. He's a good coach and a X and O's genius.

Do I think he is too stubborn? Yes.
Do I think the spurs should get another coach? Yes.

You misinterpreted my words, so I cannot argue this quote.
I told you what Pop said. I was referring to people who say "Popovich is untouchable as a spurs coach and no other coach is better."

Pop is great not gonna lie. What he did for the spurs really helped us win those 4 championships. But in the last 3 years, I just disagree with what Pop has done with the team. Trading Luis Scola, Not playing Malik Hairston or Ian Mahinmi, and over using the pick&roll the last 2 years really killed this team. The year before last year was really bad. All I saw every time down the court was multiple Parker Pick&Rolls. A new coach would have been refreshing.

Trading Scola was a stupid move, but it was done to save $, not because Pop and RC didn't think Scola was a good player. As for not playing Hairston and Mahimni, Hairston never showed enough consistancy on offense, and Mahimni is doing the same thing with the Mavs that he did with the Spurs. Ride the pine. Did you think that Hairston and Mahimni were gonna turn into superstars or something? IMO, the biggest problem for the Spurs the past 2 seasons has been injuries, and overall lack of youth and athleticism, but the Spurs have noticeably gotten younger and more athletic the past couple of years with the additions Hill, Blair, Splitter, And Anderson. Why you fell the need to have a new coach to fell refreshed is beyond me, but maybe you just need a cold beverage to refresh yourself. :flag:

TJastal
12-06-2010, 03:03 AM
It will be fascinating to see what Pop can pull out of his ass come playoff time, after Bonner pulls a vintage choke-job or two. Because throwing a tantrum and getting ejected is probably not going to work in a 7 game series against a playoff team. :lmao

And its becoming more obvious by the week that Pop has bought his one way ticket on the Bonner express and isn't looking back. Tiago might as well pack it in for the year, his train has been abandoned and left to rot on the tracks. :smidepressed:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4080/train8.jpg

Too bad when the spurs will need size in the playoffs against teams like the lakers, mavs, jazz, perhaps nuggets & even thunder he'll be completely out of sync because of having spent the entire year rotting on the bench.

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 03:05 AM
It will be fascinating to see what Pop can pull out of his ass come playoff time, after Bonner pulls a vintage choke-job or two. Because throwing a tantrum and getting ejected is probably not going to work in a 7 game series against a playoff team. :lmao

And its becoming more obvious by the week that Pop has bought his one way ticket on the Bonner express and isn't looking back. Tiago might as well pack it in for the year, his train has been abandoned and left to rot on the tracks. :smidepressed:

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4080/train8.jpg

Too bad when the spurs will need size in the playoffs against teams like the lakers, mavs, jazz, perhaps nuggets & even thunder he'll be completely out of sync because of having spent the entire year rotting on the bench.

Quit trolling on this Spurs website, you silly Clipper fan.

TJastal
12-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Quit trolling on this Spurs website, you silly Clipper fan.

Well, I'm not as fortunate as you to have so many activites to do. Wheelbarrow races, 'baccy spittin, pig roast, etc.

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Well, I'm not as fortunate as you to have so many activites to do. Wheelbarrow races, 'baccy spittin, pig roast, etc.

You left out pwning a moron who thinks he has a clue about basketball. Thats one of my favorite activities. And yes "activities" is spelled correctly. Don't forget to use spell check on your next post, you silly Clipper fan. :toast

SpursDynasty85
12-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Trading Scola was a stupid move, but it was done to save $, not because Pop and RC didn't think Scola was a good player.

Yes, they did it to save money. But YES! Pop and RC definitely thought Scola was trash. Money wasn't the only factor. He trusted his vets in Oberto and Horry to bring it for 2 more years. Instead of try and bring in a newcomber everyone would presssure him to play. Pop just hates change and loves it his wayy. Which is my only real complaint besides the Bonner fiasco.

IMO, the biggest problem for the Spurs the past 2 seasons has been injuries, and overall lack of youth and athleticism

If this was the biggest problem for the spurs in your opinion, how can you be happy with what Pop did the past 3 years theN? Finley?Horry?Bowen?Udoka?Vaugn? Bogans? Mason? Pop's line up has been trash and gave Parker/Ginobili/Duncan no chance to win a championship. Atleast play the new guys and let them figure it out is what I say.

Mahimni is doing the same thing with the Mavs that he did with the Spurs. Ride the pine

Mahinmi backs up Haywood/Chandler/Nowitzki/and Marion. If pop had his way, Mahinmi would be in the D-League with this frontcourt. Yes the mavs have played Mahinmi more than the Spurs ever had in just 20 games compared to 2 seasons with the spurs.

I appreciate your sentinment and I agree this year is much better than the last 2 years. But the point is that Pop's last 3 years have not been verygood to the team. The most frustrating part is Pop never seemed to take any risks. But like you said, the team is young this year and Pop may have started to turn a corner. So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But I still say, what Pop did in the Clippers game this year was "Stupid" and hopefully he also learned from that too.

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes, they did it to save money. But YES! Pop and RC definitely thought Scola was trash. Money wasn't the only factor. He trusted his vets in Oberto and Horry to bring it for 2 more years. Instead of try and bring in a newcomber everyone would presssure him to play. Pop just hates change and loves it his wayy. Which is my only real complaint besides the Bonner fiasco.

Now your making up crap, because you do not like Pop as a coach. Please provide a link that Pop and RC ever stated that Scola was trash. If you can't, then say this is your opinion, which is exactly what it is, because neither of them ever said anything like Scola's trash. And bringing in vets like Horry Oberto and Horry, brought two more championships 05 and 07. If you look at the 4 championship teams of the Spurs, they all were veteran laden. So your argument about Pop not wanting to change is pretty comical, because of the results those veteran laden Spurs teams produced.

If this was the biggest problem for the spurs in your opinion, how can you be happy with what Pop did the past 3 years theN? Finley?Horry?Bowen?Udoka?Vaugn? Bogans? Mason? Pop's line up has been trash and gave Parker/Ginobili/Duncan no chance to win a championship. Atleast play the new guys and let them figure it out is what I say.

Did you not read what I said? By bringing in youth, with the likes of Hill, Blair, Anderson, etc..., the Spurs have retooled on the fly the past couple of years, because Pop has finally come to the conclusion that having a veteran laden team that lacks athleticism, along with the gradual decline of Duncan, can only get you so far.

Mahinmi backs up Haywood/Chandler/Nowitzki/and Marion. If pop had his way, Mahinmi would be in the D-League with this frontcourt. Yes the mavs have played Mahinmi more than the Spurs ever had in just 20 games compared to 2 seasons with the spurs..

Mahimni is nothing but a end of the bench player. This is Mahimni's 6th year in the league now, so maybe you need to let go of your dream of Mahimni being a great player.

I appreciate your sentinment and I agree this year is much better than the last 2 years. But the point is that Pop's last 3 years have not been verygood to the team. The most frustrating part is Pop never seemed to take any risks. But like you said, the team is young this year and Pop may have started to turn a corner. So, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But I still say, what Pop did in the Clippers game this year was "Stupid" and hopefully he also learned from that too.

Okay you can think what Pop did in one regular season game against the Clipper's game "stupid". I think thats funny, but we all have our opinions. By your recent posts, you think Pop is so so as a coach, and think it would be refreshing if the Spurs had a new head coach. And I think Pop is a great coach, and am extremely grateful that he is the Spurs coach. :toast

SpursDynasty85
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Now your making up crap, because you do not like Pop as a coach. Please provide a link that Pop and RC ever stated that Scola was trash. If you can't, then say this is your opinion, which is exactly what it is, because neither of them ever said anything like Scola's trash.

I'm not making crapup. Thats your opinion but I would suggest you trynot to take my comments out of context. Pop and RC admit to making the scola mistake. That means they underestimated how good Scola is. They also got nothing in return for him but a late 2nd rounder.
I couldn't find the article, but it was RC and Pop saying that they didn't need Scola because they had their frontcourt set. Any competent person could see that Pop and RC thought Scola couldn't help them much. I'll take back the "trash" statement, but we most certainly received "trash" in basketball terms even though we saved money. This only adds to my opinion that Pop has been too conservative and is sometimes too stubborn about the effect new players can have in his system.

Did you not read what I said? By bringing in youth, with the likes of Hill, Blair, Anderson, etc..., the Spurs have retooled on the fly the past couple of years, because Pop has finally come to the conclusion that having a veteran laden team that lacks athleticism, along with the gradual decline of Duncan, can only get you so far.

I was referring to the post 2007 years, not this year. Spurs are definitely in a better position this year, but Pop wasted 2008-2010 by playing bad veterans too much and not taking risks by integrating new players. This includes Blair and Hill, who should have gotten more playing time their rookie years.

Mahimni is nothing but a end of the bench player. This is Mahimni's 6th year in the league now, so maybe you need to let go of your dream of Mahimni being a great player.

Damn your ignorant. I never said they were going to be great players. Mahinmi and Hairston could have helped with youth and athleticism. They just rotted on the bench.

And I think Pop is a great coach, and am extremely grateful that he is the Spurs coach. :toast

Good for you...I'm a spurs fan, but you should respect my opinion at least because my frustrations are valid as far as how Popovich coached his teams post 2007. If you don't respect it, its fine, but I'll just see what you have to say about this post first...

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=SpursDynasty85;4802452][Damn your ignorant. I never said they were going to be great players. Mahinmi and Hairston could have helped with youth and athleticism. They just rotted on the bench./QUOTE]

Don't know why you are trying to justify these 2 guys, since they haven't done anything noteworthy so far in the NBA. Hairston right now is out with an back injury. Prior to that, he signed a overseas contract, I forget which team, but if Hairston was a player, why did all 30 NBA teams pass on Hairston? Mahimni is a bench player too. Maybe Hairston and Mahimni can eventually NBA players, but right now, they are just JAGS. So unless you are ignorant, why all the fretting over a couple of bench players?

Fabbs
12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
[QUOTE=SpursDynasty85;4802452][Damn your ignorant. I never said they were going to be great players. Mahinmi and Hairston could have helped with youth and athleticism. They just rotted on the bench./QUOTE]

Don't know why you are trying to justify these 2 guys, since they haven't done anything noteworthy so far in the NBA. Hairston right now is out with an back injury. Prior to that, he signed a overseas contract, I forget which team, but if Hairston was a player, why did all 30 NBA teams pass on Hairston? Mahimni is a bench player too. Maybe Hairston and Mahimni can eventually NBA players, but right now, they are just JAGS. So unless you are ignorant, why all the fretting over a couple of bench players?
Well schtick, the one game where Carlisleovich let Ian play was against the Spurs. 14 minutes, 4 boards a block and some solid youthful D.
Meanwhile Bonbon was smelling up the court for one of his patented 1-6 games with his usual non rebounding non D non anything, aka rounding into playoff form.

Wonder who won this battle of upper playoff teams?