PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question

Leetonidas
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Alright well I'm at my fucking wits end with this bullshit, it's extremely frustrating. Do any of you know anything about plumbing? My kitchen sink has been leaking into my dishwasher (which is broken and we never use) and it appears to be clogged because one side have water running and the other side will get backed up with water. But I took all the pipes under the sink apart and as far as I can tell, nothing is stuck down there. Used some Draino, to no avail. I'm mainly concerned about the dishwasher leaking because it's leaking behind it through the floor and onto my carpet.

Any ideas here? Right now I doubt a plumber can be afforded, unless any of you have had a similar problem and can give me an estimate on how much they'll charge to fix it. Man, fml right now. :depressed

mouse
12-05-2010, 01:02 PM
My kitchen sink has been leaking into my dishwasher (which is broken and we never use) and it appears to be clogged because one side have water running and the other side will get backed up with water. .

Do you have a double sink one side has the garbage disposal?
If so there is a small hole that the water passes through its on the side of the garbage disposal you can put your finger in it, you may need to stop up one side of the sink and apply the plunger to the garbage disposal side so water can pass through the hole if you leave the other side open all your plungering will be for nothing as air will escape.

About your leak...

I would bypass the dishwasher altogether find the water hose that connects to it and shut it off.

ViM_LNn1Anc

Any ideas here? Right now I doubt a plumber can be afforded, unless any of you have had a similar problem and can give me an estimate on how much they'll charge to fix it. Man, fml right now. :depressed

You can use youtube to do it yourself,

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=+dishwasher+leaks&aq=f

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Clogged+dishwasher&aq=f

or go to craigslist and you will find someone who will fix it for 25 dollars if you tell them that is all you have.
trust me those guys on craigslist are hurting for cash you may be able to trade something for the services remove a virus or offer something around your house.
Good luck!

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/bbb?query=plumber&srchType=A

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=leaky+dishwasher&aq=f

Leetonidas
12-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Thanks mouse. :tu

mouse
12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
If I had a truck, and a few tools, and a legit drivers license I would try to fix it myself for a nickle bag. :smokin

Don't bother to offer the plumber any drugs they bring their own crack.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Drano is one of the worst things you can put down any drain. A plumber buddy of mine says Drano is a plumber's best friend cuz it makes them lots of money.

Leetonidas
12-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Drano is one of the worst things you can put down any drain. A plumber buddy of mine says Drano is a plumber's best friend cuz it makes them lots of money.

Strange considering it's work on other clogs in the past. What's so bad about Draino?

Nbadan
12-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Draino doesn't work for shit.....sounds like your problem is in the line going to your sewer.....Home Depot sells some industrial strength shit for that which will probably work, if not, you'll have to snake it out....they sell those at Home Depot too

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Hard to say without seeing it.

I've used those COČ cartridges with some success in the past.

Joe the plumber
12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Draino doesn't work for shit.....sounds like your problem is in the line going to your sewer.....Home Depot sells some industrial strength shit for that which will probably work, if not, you'll have to snake it out....they sell those at Home Depot too

:tu But it is hard to tell without seeing the problem first hand.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Strange considering it's work on other clogs in the past. What's so bad about Draino?
corrodes pipes.

CosmicCowboy
12-06-2010, 02:51 PM
If it's just the dishwasher drainage that bothers you, look under your sink. You will see a black rubber hose that comes from the dishwasher to either the side of the garbage disposal (if you have one) or ties into the drain lines. If this hose had been run properly it would rise up and come across into the sink cabinet higher than the sink drain and then back down to the place it tied in so if your sink backed up it wouldn't drain into the dishwasher. If you have any extra slack in the hose just tie it up where the loop in the hose is higher than the drain OR just disconnect it and plug the place the hose tied in with a wine cork.

CosmicCowboy
12-06-2010, 02:53 PM
And your blockage is past the wall. You can rent a drill powered sewer snake at Home Depot pretty cheap...they will show you how to use it...disconnect the piping under the sink and get after it where the drain line goes into the wall.

mouse
12-06-2010, 05:02 PM
*refrains from making joke involving wide mouth drain and several feet of flexible tubing*

:lmao

PM5K
12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Do you have a landlord?