PDA

View Full Version : How most coaches attack Dirk!?!

jermaine
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Now I know Dirk is going to be Dirk reguardless who is guarding him but why do most coaches make it so ez for him by putting 6'7, 6'8 or 6'9 guys on him for him just to shoot right over them? Yea all that most big men cant stay with Dirk, that BS! Ive watched alot of Mavs games and all the coaches do the same thang! Let a lil man guard him an sometimes when he put the ball on the ground another small man come running to help out! Thats until Dirk just pulls up over the lil piece of shit guarding him(mostly Bonner) an shoots right over him. I was watching the mavs & Kings last night & in the crunch time of the game Samuell Dalembert was on the bench! All I could think of is Pop-a-bitch letting Bonner guard Dirk one on one while Splitter was on the bench! Now these so called great coaches you would think wouldve watched some film on their recent players guarding Dirk get killed the last couple of yrs an say "heey imma do some different and let my 7ftr' guard him". But naaaw these dumb niggas keep doing the same dumbass "D" they all do. Like the Mavs or not, Dirk is one of the best in the league come crunch time! This fool had 2 points after the half, until the 4th, then he went to work! No disrespect Mavs fans, dont get it twisted. Yal asses aint going nowhere, so dont get your hopes up! Jose Barea as your SG an that sorry ass over confident ass Bulter! :lol But seriously why do they all do the same dam thang?

MavFan6488
12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
lol dalembert.... are you serious?

rickross
12-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Now I know Dirk is going to be Dirk reguardless who is guarding him but why do most coaches make it so ez for him by putting 6'7, 6'8 or 6'9 guys on him for him just to shoot right over them? Yea all that most big men cant stay with Dirk, that BS! Ive watched alot of Mavs games and all the coaches do the same thang! Let a lil man guard him an sometimes when he put the ball on the ground another small man come running to help out! Thats until Dirk just pulls up over the lil piece of shit guarding him(mostly Bonner) an shoots right over him. I was watching the mavs & Kings last night & in the crunch time of the game Samuell Dalembert was on the bench! All I could think of is Pop-a-bitch letting Bonner guard Dirk one on one while Splitter was on the bench! Now these so called great coaches you would think wouldve watched some film on their recent players guarding Dirk get killed the last couple of yrs an say "heey imma do some different and let my 7ftr' guard him". But naaaw these dumb niggas keep doing the same dumbass "D" they all do. Like the Mavs or not, Dirk is one of the best in the league come crunch time! This fool had 2 points after the half, until the 4th, then he went to work! No disrespect Mavs fans, dont get it twisted. Yal asses aint going nowhere, so dont get your hopes up! Jose Barea as your SG an that sorry ass over confident ass Bulter! :lol But seriously why do they all do the same dam thang?

sup brotha! i see u dropping some dimes so imma add 2 tha discussion.
Nigga the spurs should play splitter on dirk every fuckin time. If u saw da olympics you saw that dis nigga splitta is quite the nigga when guardin soft ass frontcourt niggas like dirk. I mean dis whitey was doin his thang all ova lamars face. And when u think of it lamar is jus a stronger more athletic superior rebounding version of dirk.
Jus sayin. God bless!

I-Ball
12-05-2010, 01:35 PM
so your ideal solution would be a mobile 7fter to defend dirk? how many teams have such a player?
and even then, when dirk gets the ball his fade away jumper is nearly unblockable because of his high release point. being tall and mobile wont prevent dirk from shooting.
another disadvantage of this strategy is that your 7fter is to far away from the basket to get the defensive rebound, if dirk misses his shot.
that means you need another tall guy on the floor to deny chandler/ haywood or marion the offensive rebound.

how many teams have this personal?

the best strategy (and only strategy for most teams, because of available players) is to keep the ball out of dirks hand. using quick players (which are smaller) is therefore the prefered strategy of opposing coaches (especially since the Golden State series in 2007).

Ace
12-05-2010, 01:45 PM
gr8 analysis bro, srsly

imho, tbh

DJB
12-05-2010, 01:51 PM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ebonics

ebonics

The language of the gangstas and negroes.
Ebonics: "Yo G, you frontin me?"
English: "Excuse me, my peer, are you attempting to influence me to engage in a violent action with you?"

Ebonics: "You gots to git those Benjamins so you cin git dat bling-bling fo yo ride"
English: "You need to get money so that you can get expensive accessories for your car."

Koolaid_Man
12-05-2010, 02:22 PM
really all you gotta do is pop Dirk in the mouth one-time or hit him with an elbow...and his pussy persona will become activated...it doesn't take much stop him...

Killakobe81
12-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Dirk is one of the most difficult matchups in the NBA ...
Odom has had some success and also been torched by him ...
Bowen used to do a good job but when he is hot no one can stop him ...Splitter looks active and mobile but LOL at him guarding dirk ...

sefant77
12-05-2010, 03:09 PM
How jermaine attack the buffet?

Hard.

Jose Canseco
12-05-2010, 03:22 PM
Few mobile 7 footers can handle Dirk when he's on. Dirk would put it on KG in his prime. There aren't a lot of players 7 foot or not who are going to be successful if Dirk is simply making his shots. Length and mobility is ideal, but as mentioned there are few teams with players like that. I'd rather have a tough 6'8 wing defender like a Stephen Jackson defend Dirk because he'll use quickness and toughness. But even that won't necessarily work.

Dirk has been tremendous this season. Seems like every time I glance at a Mavs box score, Dirk goes for 11-15 or 10-12 or 15-23 from the field. Don't know if any defender can have success with the way Dirk is playing.

j.dizzle
12-05-2010, 03:24 PM
The Spurs dont have the personnel to stop Dirk. The signing of Chandler make them better then SA now IMO since they have no athletic bigs. Bonner is trash if he's clanking three's, Splitter is pretty bad on D & POP doesnt trust him & Blair is a midget. Dallas just needs somebody other then Dirk to show up in the playoffs if they wanna get past the 1st or 2nd round. LA has mobile bigs like Gasol & Odom to throw at Dirk. He'll still get his points most of the time but atleast he has to work for them. Dirk was getting any shot he wanted vs SA & Utah. You cant throw players that are 6 foot 8 at him or he'll just shoot over them way too easily.

Killakobe81
12-05-2010, 03:28 PM
The Spurs dont have the personnel to stop Dirk. The signing of Chandler make them better then SA now IMO since they have no athletic bigs. Bonner is trash if he's clanking three's, Splitter is pretty bad on D & POP doesnt trust him & Blair is a midget. Dallas just needs somebody other then Dirk to show up in the playoffs if they wanna get past the 1st or 2nd round. LA has mobile bigs like Gasol & Odom to throw at Dirk. He'll still get his points most of the time but atleast he has to work for them. Dirk was getting any shot he wanted vs SA & Utah. You cant throw players that are 6 foot 8 at him or he'll just shoot over them way too easily.

True this. but i think battier and Bowen types do a better job than most ...but that is also why he doesnbt get as many FT's who can foul him with that high release at 6 ft 8?

sefant77
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
The only way to take him really out is to throw double teams on him and to hope that the other mavs players are bricking like crap and/or cant find the open team mate.

Thats what happened 2007.

j.dizzle
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
True this. but i think battier and Bowen types do a better job than most ...but that is also why he doesnbt get as many FT's who can foul him with that high release at 6 ft 8?
Bowen actually had balls though & defense is what he concentrated on. The spurs used to have hard nosed defenders on the perimeter but now they basically have to be clicking on offense to win games. Crazy how things have changed but atleast they're still getting W's for now.

silverblk mystix
12-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Golden State 2006.

Texas Chili Dog
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
If Dirk is going to be Dirk, the other team might as well put their worst defender on the court on Dirk and have their other guys guard the rest.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
S-Jax oooorrrrr Tonya Harding

badfish22
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
SJax gave him a hard time in 07 but Dirk has been burning him the last few years.

dirk4mvp
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Golden State 2006.

nice

noob cake
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Not let Scola guard him; Scola = Does not guard jump shot.

Killakobe81
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Barnes does a decent job, Odom too so at least we have multiple options Pau gives us length ...

jermaine
12-05-2010, 04:35 PM
How jermaine attack the buffet?

Hard.
Very hard I might add:p:

sribb43
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I remember reading on here last year that some Spurs fans thought Marcus Haslip would be able to guard Dirk :lol

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-05-2010, 05:40 PM
I remember reading on here last year that some Spurs fans thought Marcus Haslip would be able to guard Dirk :lol

:lol :toast

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
No one really thinks a certain player can "stop" Dirk, but there is a consensus that a certain type of player can have some success in making things difficult.

No truly great player can be guarded on a regular basis. Especially not 1v1.

TD 21
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM

I agree. Not that Dalembert would be a great match-up for him, but I don't understand why teams keep putting guys who are 4-6 inches smaller on Nowitzki. That rarely works. They overrated his quickness off the dribble. He's not Bosh or Stoudemire. Even if he does exploit certain bigs off the dribble a few times, so what? I'd rather have to make him shoot over length, than make it easy for him by putting guys on him who have no chance to bother his shot.

dirk4mvp
12-05-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree. Not that Dalembert would be a great match-up for him, but I don't understand why teams keep putting guys who are 4-6 inches smaller on Nowitzki. That rarely works. They overrated his quickness off the dribble. He's not Bosh or Stoudemire. Even if he does exploit certain bigs off the dribble a few times, so what? I'd rather have to make him shoot over length, than make it easy for him by putting guys on him who have no chance to bother his shot.

:rollin way to name 2 guys who Dirk dribble drives a lot better than.

rickross
12-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Yo playas you forgettin how bosh was shuttin down dirk when heat played the mavs.:lol

Now seriously, a nigga that i'd love to see punk dirk's ass is lebron. Not a big size difference, bron has far superior speed/quickeness/mobility, superior strength, it'd take away all of dirk's driving to the basket game and basically let him be a jump shooter (with mofo king james in his face btw).
I think if bron wants he can punk dirk's ass hard and i'm willin to shell out cold dough on it.

Ghazi
12-05-2010, 06:13 PM
we staaaaaacked

Lukor
12-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Yo playas you forgettin how bosh was shuttin down dirk when heat played the mavs.:lol

Now seriously, a nigga that i'd love to see punk dirk's ass is lebron. Not a big size difference, bron has far superior speed/quickeness/mobility, superior strength, it'd take away all of dirk's driving to the basket game and basically let him be a jump shooter (with mofo king james in his face btw).
I think if bron wants he can punk dirk's ass hard and i'm willin to shell out cold dough on it.

Dirk can shoot over Lebron all day. And it was probably the smell of Bosh's pussy that shut Dirk down that day. Not that he needed to do much(22points),y'all got embarrassed anyway.

TD 21
12-05-2010, 06:51 PM
:rollin way to name 2 guys who Dirk dribble drives a lot better than.

I'm talking about quickness of the bounce, first step. They're indisputably quicker.

Coaches respect Nowitzki too much off the dribble. So many bigs, they don't even give them a chance on him. If they continuously get beat, then either have certain pre-determined help spots to steer him into or do away with the match-up entirely. But to not even try it is ridiculous.

I'm wondering when these coaches going to get sick of this guy shooting basically uncontested mid-range jumpers over guys 4-6 inches smaller.

Roddy Beaubois
12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
lol TD thinking hes smarter then professional coaches

TD 21
12-05-2010, 06:56 PM
lol TD thinking hes smarter then professional coaches

Yeah, because we all know every move they make is the right one.

dirk4mvp
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm talking about quickness of the bounce, first step. They're indisputably quicker.

Coaches respect Nowitzki too much off the dribble. So many bigs, they don't even give them a chance on him. If they continuously get beat, then either have certain pre-determined help spots to steer him into or do away with the match-up entirely. But to not even try it is ridiculous.

I'm wondering when these coaches going to get sick of this guy shooting basically uncontested mid-range jumpers over guys 4-6 inches smaller.

you're retarded. and a gray named spur fan. redundant, tbh.

TD 21
12-05-2010, 07:02 PM
you're retarded. and a gray named spur fan. redundant, tbh.

You're an overly defensive bitch. I'm not even criticizing Nowitzki on this and you're still upset. What a loser.

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Dirk, you can't say he doesn't have a valid point.

Ghazi
:lol TD 21

dirk4mvp
You're an overly defensive bitch. I'm not even criticizing Nowitzki on this and you're still upset. What a loser.

lol retarded gray named spur fan

Roddy Beaubois
12-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Yeah, because we all know every move they make is the right one.

tbh if any coach would just listen to you Dirk would finally be exposed.
Maybe one day...

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Kome On Losers. Give him a break.

TD 21
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Dirk, you can't say he doesn't have a valid point.

But my username is in grey and I'm not slobbering over Nowitzki, which always get's these bitches panties in a knot.

These delusional retard homers make this career loser out like he's the greatest player of all-time.

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
He is not a career loser. That is just silly.

Ghazi
:lol TD 21

Lukor

It might indeed be because they don't want their own bigs too far away from the basket. But tbh i don't remember many big guys who gave Dirk real trouble in recent years. Odom had some success and Marc Gasol in one game(but just one game)...David West in the playoffs a little bit,but also not really. Man i don't know, Dirk is just a stupid matchup for anybody. Too bad his supporting cast mostly sucks.

dirk4mvp
But my username is in grey

well that's obvious.

jermaine
12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Seriously, did Fransico Elson do a good job on Dirk?

jason54858
12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
sup brotha! i see u dropping some dimes so imma add 2 tha discussion.
Nigga the spurs should play splitter on dirk every fuckin time. If u saw da olympics you saw that dis nigga splitta is quite the nigga when guardin soft ass frontcourt niggas like dirk. I mean dis whitey was doin his thang all ova lamars face. And when u think of it lamar is jus a stronger more athletic superior rebounding version of dirk.
Jus sayin. God bless!

I'm starting to think your a racist white dude. Are a racist white dude?

ezau
12-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Bowen actually had balls though & defense is what he concentrated on. The spurs used to have hard nosed defenders on the perimeter but now they basically have to be clicking on offense to win games. Crazy how things have changed but atleast they're still getting W's for now.

Yeah, something that the Lakers can't do until they faced a sorry ass Sac team. tee, hee

ezau
12-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Dirk is an all-time great jumpshooter. If you make him be comfortable shoot jump shots, LeQuitter's going to have a long night.

Phillip
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
lol jermaine

lol faggot

Phillip
12-06-2010, 11:02 AM
only way to effectively attack dirk = constant double & triple teams as soon as he touches the ball.

dude1394
12-06-2010, 11:45 AM
I've watched the dirkster against all kinds of folks. I'd much rather them put a big on him than a small guy. He will torch a big all day long. First he'll pull him out to the 3pt line and blow him away..

If the big comes to him, dirk DOES have the handles and ability to not only get by him, but to hit a teammate when the help comes, or just pull up in the lane...it's tough.

It's not the first step that's so vital, because the defender knows he can rise up and shoot it from anywhere, he can't lay off him. It's also the ability to dribble the ball more than 3 times if needed...With Dirk out front facing up a big, the big has to play him just like every other guard gets defended.

That means no handchecking, no hands on him..It's a recipe for disaster imo. The 6'8,9 guys who are long take away his driving game and then he has to shoot a fallaway,,,if they are heavy they can also keep him out of the blocks..

Now that he has a point guard (not jet, not devin harris) that can actually get it to him on the blocks, he's been taking Steven Jackson and all of the denver players straight down there. His fallaway from 5-10 feet is as automatic a shot as any in the game...it's church..

jermaine
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
lol jermaine

lol faggot
Are you callin me a faggot?

I've watched the dirkster against all kinds of folks. I'd much rather them put a big on him than a small guy. He will torch a big all day long. First he'll pull him out to the 3pt line and blow him away..

If the big comes to him, dirk DOES have the handles and ability to not only get by him, but to hit a teammate when the help comes, or just pull up in the lane...it's tough.

It's not the first step that's so vital, because the defender knows he can rise up and shoot it from anywhere, he can't lay off him. It's also the ability to dribble the ball more than 3 times if needed...With Dirk out front facing up a big, the big has to play him just like every other guard gets defended.

That means no handchecking, no hands on him..It's a recipe for disaster imo. The 6'8,9 guys who are long take away his driving game and then he has to shoot a fallaway,,,if they are heavy they can also keep him out of the blocks..

Now that he has a point guard (not jet, not devin harris) that can actually get it to him on the blocks, he's been taking Steven Jackson and all of the denver players straight down there. His fallaway from 5-10 feet is as automatic a shot as any in the game...it's church..
And I'd put a big on him and let him pull my big out, and as soon as he puts the ball on the floor to dribble past him then have a 6'8 or 6'9 come help out! Hell even a PG. I could live with J Kidd beatin me all day! Or even Marion or Bulter.

Ace
12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Are you callin me a faggot?

I think he meant your a phaggot

rickross
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM

nigga u mad ima top nigga and u is a scrub ass ignorant nigga who dont acknowedge anotha nigga only cuz he str8 up betta. Nigga please. ricky droppin dimes of knowledge on yo nigga azz here and u hatin liek da scrub ass nigga u are.

rickross
12-06-2010, 03:37 PM

or maybe bein clean an fresh an rich is white compared 2 a escaped locomotive charcoal pumpin unwashed and unfed nigga liek u. U is a str8 up racist nigga and toward ur own kind. U shuld go back to da 16 century from when ur azz is missed on da fields.

Mav-elous Man
12-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Few mobile 7 footers can handle Dirk when he's on. Dirk would put it on KG in his prime. There aren't a lot of players 7 foot or not who are going to be successful if Dirk is simply making his shots. Length and mobility is ideal, but as mentioned there are few teams with players like that. I'd rather have a tough 6'8 wing defender like a Stephen Jackson defend Dirk because he'll use quickness and toughness. But even that won't necessarily work.

Dirk has been tremendous this season. Seems like every time I glance at a Mavs box score, Dirk goes for 11-15 or 10-12 or 15-23 from the field. Don't know if any defender can have success with the way Dirk is playing.

Players like Stephen Jackson have historically given Dirk the hardest time. They are only 6'8 or 6'9, have the athletic ability to keep up with Dirk, and usually have quick hands and long arms. Its also a huge help if they can be physical too. Shawn Marion used to do a good job on Dirk. So did Ron Artest, James Posey, and other players of that build. Throughout time though Dirk has seen those types of defenders so much and different kinds of defenses, i.e. coming from his blindside hard when he catches in the high post, he knows what to look for and how to handle it much better now.

jason54858
12-06-2010, 11:55 PM
or maybe bein clean an fresh an rich is white compared 2 a escaped locomotive charcoal pumpin unwashed and unfed nigga liek u. U is a str8 up racist nigga and toward ur own kind. U shuld go back to da 16 century from when ur azz is missed on da fields.

:wakeup Homeboy, all I wanted to know was if you were black or not. You said you were, that's all I wanted to know. Cause if a white dude came on here talking like an illiterate escaped slave it would be straight racist.

balldontlie
12-07-2010, 03:21 AM
there you guys are!
sup badfish
sup thedong

history2b
12-07-2010, 02:27 PM

You have to approach defending Dirk like you would battling against a woman. If you go at him too strong he's going to cry/flop and draw calls in order to regain his no-touch advantage.

You have to be stern but not overly aggressive, empathetic but tender.

Phillip
12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
You have to approach defending Dirk like you would battling against a woman. If you go at him too strong he's going to cry/flop and draw calls in order to regain his no-touch advantage.

You have to be stern but not overly aggressive, empathetic but tender.

lol flopping

lol pau

lol fisher

lol crying and drawing calls

lol kobe

lol bynum

history2b
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
lol flopping

lol pau

lol fisher

lol crying and drawing calls

lol kobe

lol bynum

Neither Pau nor Fisher catapult their bodies wayward with the touch of the fingertip. Fisher beats guys to the spot and absorbs the contact like a man. Fundamentally sound (Battier does this as well). Pau goes up soft sometimes and flails his arms around but he does not do the shoot his body backwards like a knee-jerk reaction. This is exclusive to Dirk and Manu Ginobili, two of the biggest pussies the NBA has ever seen.

Back to the point of the thread:

Defend Dirk like he's a woman and you stand to be most successful.

dude1394
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The lakers deserve you as a fan.

midnightpulp
12-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Neither Pau nor Fisher catapult their bodies wayward with the touch of the fingertip. Fisher beats guys to the spot and absorbs the contact like a man. Fundamentally sound (Battier does this as well). Pau goes up soft sometimes and flails his arms around but he does not do the shoot his body backwards like a knee-jerk reaction. This is exclusive to Dirk and Manu Ginobili, two of the biggest pussies the NBA has ever seen.

Back to the point of the thread:

Defend Dirk like he's a woman and you stand to be most successful.

"Man" and "Derek Fisher" should never be used in the same sentence. This is a guy who lied about the severity of his daughter's medical condition to get Larry Miller to let him out of his contract so that he could return to LA and play with the Purple 'n Piss.

Quite possibly the biggest pussy the NBA has ever seen.

mystargtr34
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Splitter is bad on D? So basically what your saying is you haven't watched any games... he's already the second best defender on the team.. That's quite clear to see for anyone that watches games. His lack of playing time have come down to missing training camp and the start of the season and Pops stubborness with the stretch 4 role since Horry retired .. Bonner is garuanteed minutes and it will probly end up costing the Spurs at least two playoff games... hopefully they come early on when the team can recover. Blair obviously has no business starting in the NBA under any circumsances if you want to contend for a championship.. but he has the ability to eat up alot of NBA bench bigs if the matchup is right.

Splitter will be head and shoulders the Spurs second best big man by the ASB.

mystargtr34
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM

history2b
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
"Man" and "Derek Fisher" should never be used in the same sentence. This is a guy who lied about the severity of his daughter's medical condition to get Larry Miller to let him out of his contract so that he could return to LA and play with the Purple 'n Piss.

Quite possibly the biggest pussy the NBA has ever seen.

Weak troll attempt.

Dismissed.

Roddy Beaubois
12-07-2010, 06:07 PM
crofl Splitter

Lukor
12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
Splitter will be head and shoulders the Spurs second best big man by the ASB.

So you're saying he will be better than Duncan? That's a pretty sweet big man rotation right there #1Bonner #2Splitter #3Duncan #4Blair #5McDyess.

midnightpulp
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Weak troll attempt.

Dismissed.

Bet you felt empowered when you typed out "dismissed."

Did you give yourself a look of smug satisfaction, as well?

midnightpulp
12-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Bet you felt empowered when you typed out "dismissed."

Did you give yourself a look of smug satisfaction, as well?

http://oi52.tinypic.com/2mnr815.jpg

mystargtr34
12-07-2010, 06:28 PM
So you're saying he will be better than Duncan? That's a pretty sweet big man rotation right there #1Bonner #2Splitter #3Duncan #4Blair #5McDyess.

Tbh I got the joke without the rankings