PDA

View Full Version : NBA is taking over the Hornets

rAm
12-05-2010, 03:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5887687

Chris Paul and the rest of the New Orleans Hornets will soon be playing for the first franchise in league history owned by the NBA.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com on Sunday that the league's fast-moving plans to take temporary control of the Hornets are going ahead "100 percent" and will be publicly confirmed within the next few days, mirroring what Major League Baseball did with the Montreal Expos before that franchise was sold and moved to the nation's capital as the Washington Nationals.

This unprecedented twist in the Hornets' roller-coaster history, beyond what it means for the franchise and its fans in New Orleans, is likely to revive leaguewide curiosity about Paul's future.

The All-Star guard can become a free agent in the summer of 2012 and has been targeted for months by rival teams believing they could capitalize on New Orleans' unsettled ownership situation to pry him away, but the Hornets' surprising 11-1 start had just begun to hush the frenzy of speculation about their ability to keep him long-term.

After the long-stalled sale of the Hornets from longtime owner George Shinn to minority partner Gary Chouest collapsed for good in recent days, NBA officials moved forward with their proposal to purchase operational control of the team, with the intent to not only end the cash-strapped Shinn's reign but also have a greater say in who ends up buying the team.

A formal announcement, sources said, will come no later than Wednesday.

The league is taking this step, sources said, with the faint hope that the next owner of the Hornets can be persuaded to keep the team in New Orleans, as part of NBA commissioner David Stern's longstanding determination to sustain pro basketball in the region in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and the devastation it inflicted.

Stern's pledge included keeping the 2009 All-Star Game in New Orleans, which turned out to be one of the league's more successful All-Star Weekends.

Yet there are clearly no guarantees that a new owner will want to stay in one of the league's smallest markets.

It can be argued that the Hornets became an even more attractive property for potential buyers just in the past week, thanks to the disclosure that this season's attendance has dropped to the point that the Hornets are on pace to have the right to opt out of their lease with the state of Louisiana as early as March 1.

Sports Illustrated, which first reported that the league had presented the idea of taking temporary control of the Hornets at an NBA Board of Governors meeting in late October, reported Saturday on its website that Jac Sperling of the NHL's Minnesota Wild would serve as the league's representative in charge of overseeing Hornets operations and the sale of the team.

Yet sources say that Hornets president Hugh Weber will largely continue to run the organization and report to Sperling, who was born in New Orleans.

The league office and the Hornets have continued to decline requests for comment from ESPN.com since Friday.

The Hornets averaged just 13,826 fans through their first nine home games despite the team's better-than-expected November and attracted a crowd of 14,020 for Friday night's home loss to the New York Knicks.

The future of the Hornets has commanded strong interest throughout the league since Shinn's plans to sell the team to Chouest were revealed back in April, largely because Shinn's ongoing presence and limited financial resources are widely seen as factors that could prompt Paul to leave the only team he's ever played for when he's eligible for free agency.

Great local optimism initially greeted the news that Chouest would be taking over, but fears that his deal to buy out Shinn would collapse have been mounting for months because so much time has passed with almost nothing said publicly by either side about the state of the sale.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reported Friday that Chouest has indeed withdrawn his offer, saying that the Louisiana native -- whose primary business interests are in the offshore service industry -- no longer thinks he can devote the time needed to run an NBA team as well as his private company.

Shinn controversially moved the Hornets from Charlotte to New Orleans for the 2002-03 season and the team was later forced to make Oklahoma City its home for two seasons in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

The Times-Picayune reported earlier this week that the Hornets can opt out of their current lease with the state of Louisiana and might have the freedom to move yet again if they average less than 14,213 fans during a 13-game stretch of home dates between Dec. 1 and Jan. 17.

Amid the sale uncertainty, New Orleans has been trying for months to convince skeptics that Paul will not be made available to interested teams under any circumstances.

Numerous clubs besieged the Hornets with trade calls about Paul throughout last season, but external interest only increased after a June interview with ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard in which Paul said he wants to remain in New Orleans but would be "open to a trade" if the Hornets aren't trying to compete financially with the league's elite.

Weber responded with a housecleaning that led to the hiring of general manager Dell Demps from San Antonio to team with rookie coach and former Spurs teammate Williams.

Through a series of aggressive trades, improved defense and with Williams and Paul bonding quickly, New Orleans followed up a painful preseason with a stunning 11-1 start.

Team officials have pointed to the $15 million in additional salaries that the Hornets have absorbed since Demps was hired July 21 as a sign that the team is on solid financial footing.

One source expressed confidence Sunday that the Hornets can continue to operate as normal while the league searches for a buyer, especially since the team's many moves since August have taken its payroll for the season nearly $4 million under the league's luxury-tax threshold.

Paul, though, has generally revealed little in the way of firm declarations about how the Hornets' brightened outlook affects his future plans. But he has acknowledged in numerous interviews he's excited by the team's new direction under Demps and Williams and frequently reiterates his fondness for New Orleans after establishing deep roots in the city.

"I'm excited about my teammates," Paul told ESPN.com on Nov. 15. "We've got a lot of guys on our team that are hungry. I think we're in a good spot right now."

It was widely reported in early May that Shinn and Chouest had struck an agreement in principle for Chouest -- who possesses a 25 percent stake in the franchise -- to become majority owner. Delays were initially attributed to haggles over the final purchase price and Chouest's reported search for new minority investors to reduce his overall investment, but one source said Sunday that Chouest has pulled out of a presumed "done deal" with Shinn at least three times in recent months.

Shinn founded the Hornets in 1988 and announced last season that -- now in remission after being diagnosed with prostate cancer a year ago -- he was prepared to sell his majority stake. It's been a controversial two-decade run for Shinn with a franchise that moved away from its fervent followers in Charlotte largely because of the locals' distaste for the owner.

The Times-Picayune reported Monday that the Hornets would be free to relocate if the 14,735-fan benchmark is not reached for the 13 games specified, but actually leaving New Orleans would also require a $10 million exit penalty payable to the state and a formal notice to Louisiana no later than March 1, 2011.

Weber told the newspaper the franchise isn't looking to relocate again, saying: "We all know basketball can work in New Orleans. We've seen it work."

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I just don't get how this works. Is this not an incredible conflict of interest?

j.dizzle
12-05-2010, 03:50 PM
LOL come on New Orleans, FAN UP!!!! haahaha. I think its time to move them to a city with ppl that have better income & passion for basketball..Seems like the Saints are always sold out but nobody seems to care about the Hornets out there. Ive seen Hornets games where more then half the arena looked empty, that shit must be depressing for an owner.

GuerillaBlack
12-05-2010, 03:54 PM
LOL come on New Orleans, FAN UP!!!! haahaha. I think its time to move them to a city with ppl that have better income & passion for basketball..Seems like the Saints are always sold out but nobody seems to care about the Hornets out there. Ive seen Hornets games where more then half the arena looked empty, that shit must be depressing for an owner.

Move the Hornets to Seattle and let them become the Sonics. Then, move OKC to the Southwest Division. Problem solved.

Slomo
12-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I just don't get how this works. Is this not an incredible conflict of interest?

My first reaction too, but after reading the article I believe it's a "lesser of two evils" type of situation (as long as the temporary part is in fact short term).

Kai
12-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Hornets go to Seattle, become the Sonics. Bobcats are renamed Hornets, everyone's happy.

Iceman101
12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Lakas 2.0

Mel_13
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM

It would be if you view the 30 NBA teams as separate entities in competition with one another. If you view them as 30 sub-divisions of one larger corporate entity, then not so much.

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 05:24 PM
They are in competition with one another imo. Sure, they operate under the same umbrella (NBA), but they are run independently with the governing rules being handed out by the NBA.

To me, that would be like saying companies in any sector aren't really competing with each other, but operate as subsidiaries because the government regulates to a large degree how they operate.

Brutalis
12-05-2010, 05:27 PM
That's pathetic.

Mel_13
12-05-2010, 05:29 PM
There are in competition with one another imo. Sure, they operate under the same umbrella (NBA), but they are run independently with the governing rules being handed out by the NBA.

In that view, those rules will be interpreted to allow this maneuver. So no conflict of interest no matter how you view the situation.

Bottom line is that the major sports leagues in America have been allowed to operate partly or completely exempt from antitrust laws.

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Sure, I recognize that, but even though they are allowed to do so, doesn't mean it doesn't raise a few eye brows from my perspective.

Mel_13
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Sure, I recognize that, but even though they are allowed to do so, doesn't mean it doesn't raise a few eye brows from my perspective.

Will it raise eyebrows? Of course.

Of course, that wasn't the question you raised.

BRHornet45
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
sons from what my sources have told me there is another buyer who has been in the picture for months now. However the potential buyer and Shinn don't see eye to eye and Shinn has refused to sell the team to him out of butthurtness. Gary Chouest was the leading potential buyer, but backed out due to the fear of a lockout and the oil spill has forced him to spend much more time with his other business.

sons it looks like the Hornets WILL STAY in New Orleans from what my sources have told me. Even despite the disappointing ticket sales this season, the Hornets are still profitable and are not alone in the NBA whenever it comes to poor attendance. The NBA has apparently had enough of Shinn holding out and is offering to purchase the team from him and then sell it to the other buyer who for whatever reason is not liked or approved of by Shinn. One of my sources who is very close to team management told me that the potential buyer is from Louisiana and wants to completely re-brand the Hornets with a new name, colors, etc. that are more fitting to the Gulf South.

Cry Havoc
12-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Does anyone think St. Louis or KC could support a basketball team? The Cardinals do extremely well in STL, and the Chiefs are huge in KC. They've really never even had the chance, and there's no other team in the region, so it would be the area team for a large swath of the Midwest.

DPG21920
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
The Feel Bad For Us'ers doesn't sound to catchy, tbh BR...

GuerillaBlack
12-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Does anyone think St. Louis or KC could support a basketball team? The Cardinals do extremely well in STL, and the Chiefs are huge in KC. They've really never even had the chance, and there's no other team in the region, so it would be the area team for a large swath of the Midwest.

Nope. Kansas City is an over-saturated market already. Adding an NBA team would hurt. Same with St. Louis.

ElNono
12-05-2010, 10:14 PM
sons from what my sources have told me there is another buyer who has been in the picture for months now. However the potential buyer and Shinn don't see eye to eye and Shinn has refused to sell the team to him out of butthurtness. Gary Chouest was the leading potential buyer, but backed out due to the fear of a lockout and the oil spill has forced him to spend much more time with his other business.

sons it looks like the Hornets WILL STAY in New Orleans from what my sources have told me. Even despite the disappointing ticket sales this season, the Hornets are still profitable and are not alone in the NBA whenever it comes to poor attendance. The NBA has apparently had enough of Shinn holding out and is offering to purchase the team from him and then sell it to the other buyer who for whatever reason is not liked or approved of by Shinn. One of my sources who is very close to team management told me that the potential buyer is from Louisiana and wants to completely re-brand the Hornets with a new name, colors, etc. that are more fitting to the Gulf South.

Son, will you become Stern's spokesperson?

Seventyniner
12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Since Stern loves the Spurs so much, he'll trade CP3 to the Spurs for Bonner and a dozen 6-inch hoagies.

Pelicans78
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I agree with BR. I've heard the same thing as well. Basically, the NBA will negotiate with the state of Louisiana for a new lease that will benefit both the team and the state. Once the new lease is agreed upon, then the NBA will transfer ownership to the new guy. Hopefully they can rebrand because I hate the Hornets brand and logo. It's fine for Charlotte, but not here. Team needs a new identity. Maybe a new city if they can't agree to a new lease.

Koolaid_Man
12-05-2010, 10:30 PM
That's pathetic.

you have a cute kid...but why dress him or her in a MJ outfit Spur fan...why not in Robinson or Duncan attire - Spurfan....MJ is old news...he's practically a crackhead now:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/ball/michael_jordan2-306x400.jpg

101A
12-05-2010, 10:50 PM

The NBA will NOT use its ownership position and manipulate matters to enhance the Hornet's prospects...however I would think CP3 to the Lakers will be anounced b4 the trading deadline.

Dex
12-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Collusion!!! Expect the NBA Hornets to get 50 free throws a night!

noob cake
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Collusion!!! Expect the NBA Hornets to get 50 free throws a night!

Not sure if Stern gets the $$$ from tickets sales during NBA's presumably brief ownership.

jason54858
12-06-2010, 12:16 AM

The more I think about it the more I agree with you.

jason54858
12-06-2010, 12:20 AM

Hell no, enough with the small market teams. Why leave one struggling small market city to go to another? The Hornets should go to Seattle or (If the Nets don't move to Brooklyn) move to Queens :toast

Darkwaters
12-06-2010, 01:03 AM
The NBA will NOT use its ownership position and manipulate matters to enhance the Hornet's prospects...however I would think CP3 to the Lakers will be anounced b4 the trading deadline.

For scrubs no doubt.

The TroutBum
12-06-2010, 01:14 AM
This is the greatest news I've ever heard. Fuck the Hornets and their faggoty, AIDS infested shit hole of a state.

BRHornet45
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
This is the greatest news I've ever heard. Fuck the Hornets and their faggoty, AIDS infested shit hole of a state.

lol go figure it be a UTAH JAZZ fan to make a comment like that ... typical racist, little dick, Mormon white boy!!!

The TroutBum
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
What's up you fucking welcher.

Same old, same old. I owe you money, don't I, ass face?

How much? PM me your address.

The TroutBum
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
lol go figure it be a UTAH JAZZ fan to make a comment like that ... typical racist, little dick, Mormon white boy!!!

LOL black people.

BRHornet45
12-06-2010, 01:20 AM
LOL black people.

ah son but you know your Mormon white women love em!

Pelicans78
12-06-2010, 01:55 AM
LOL Utah has still never won a championship in either college or professional sports. LOL losing 47-7 at home.

TE
12-06-2010, 02:04 AM
The hostility in this thread is disgustingly funny.

greyforest
12-06-2010, 03:08 AM
you have a cute kid...but why dress him or her in a MJ outfit Spur fan...why not in Robinson or Duncan attire - Spurfan....MJ is old news...he's practically a crackhead now:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/ball/michael_jordan2-306x400.jpg

looks like a downer he's on there, not an upper

boutons_deux
12-06-2010, 06:50 AM
"New Orleans' population was recorded as reaching its historic peak by the 1960 Census

The Census Bureau in July 2006 estimated the population of New Orleans to be 223,000;

a subsequent study estimated that 32,000 additional residents had moved to the city as of March 2007, bringing the estimated population to 255,000, approximately 56% of the pre-Katrina population level.

Another estimate, based on data on utility usage from July 2007, estimated the population to be approximately 274,000 or 60% of the pre-Katrina population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

White flight, black flight, Nouvelle Orleans seems to be dying, blacker and poorer, high crime in US ranking, and smaller.

The real killer was Army Corp of Engineers' incompetence, ie, CoE's usual results.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/New_Orleans_Elevations.jpg/800px-New_Orleans_Elevations.jpg

GuerillaBlack
12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
"New Orleans' population was recorded as reaching its historic peak by the 1960 Census

The Census Bureau in July 2006 estimated the population of New Orleans to be 223,000;

a subsequent study estimated that 32,000 additional residents had moved to the city as of March 2007, bringing the estimated population to 255,000, approximately 56% of the pre-Katrina population level.

Another estimate, based on data on utility usage from July 2007, estimated the population to be approximately 274,000 or 60% of the pre-Katrina population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans

White flight, black flight, Nouvelle Orleans seems to be dying, blacker and poorer, high crime in US ranking, and smaller.

The real killer was Army Corp of Engineers' incompetence, ie, CoE's usual results.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/New_Orleans_Elevations.jpg/800px-New_Orleans_Elevations.jpg

You gotta look at market area, and New Orleans is growing again if you look at that. City pops don't mean shit for sports teams.

polandprzem
12-06-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow, other teams will want now more to win with an NBA team

Double-Up
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
tbh lol tbh limited vocab tbh blah blah blah

Faggot ass got pinked...:lol

Double-Up
12-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Yea I see you're on the way to a mental breakdown, either that or you have no life. Fuck I'm willing to bet it's both.

The TroutBum
12-06-2010, 03:34 PM
What the hell? Is this a joke?

Nope, just Karma and poetic justice all rolled into one. The Earth's Ass Hole doesn't deserve an NBA team.

duncan228
12-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Stern confirms league takeover of Hornets (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-hornetssale)
By Brett Martel

NBA Commissioner David Stern confirmed on Monday that the league is proceeding with its plan to buy the New Orleans Hornets from majority owner George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest.

Shinn has been trying since last spring to sell the team to Chouest, but those negotiations stalled.

“George Shinn has been an exceptional owner for New Orleans and Gary Chouest has been extraordinarily supportive as a minority owner,” Stern said. “However, in light of the uncertain economic situation in New Orleans and Louisiana, Gary has decided not to move forward with the purchase of George’s majority interest.

“In the absence of any viable purchaser seeking to own the Hornets in New Orleans, I recommended to the NBA Board of Governors that the best way to assure stability and the adequate funding of the franchise would be for the league to step in, and complete the transaction and assume control.”

Stern confirmed that the league has recruited New Orleans native Jac Sperling to be the NBA’s administrator of the team until it can be sold to a more permanent owner. Sperling is a sports attorney and the vice chairman of the NHL’s Minnesota Wild.

The Hornets will be the first NBA team owned by the league.

Stern did not say what the NBA is paying for the club but did say the franchise “has been valued in excess of $300 million.”

The NBA says the sale still must be approved by the NBA’s Board of Governors, which will likely vote on the matter next week.

Shinn founded the Hornets in 1988 in Charlotte and moved them to New Orleans in 2002. After Hurricane Katrina damaged much of New Orleans, the Hornets spent two season playing in Oklahoma City from 2005-07.

Stern said he has notified Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal and New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu about the NBA’s takeover, adding that the league “will continue our dialogue with them about ways to strengthen the franchise for new ownership in New Orleans.”

Sperling said he’s been assured the Hornets will have the necessary resources to “keep the team competitive and further the team’s relationship with the fans of New Orleans.”

The Hornets are 13-7 under new coach Monty Williams and new general manager Dell Demps, but after a surprising 11-1 start, they have lost six of eight games.

Hornets President Hugh Weber will remain in his current role overseeing the day-to-day operations of the team.

“Our purpose and resolve will always be to build the Hornets into a championship contender,” Weber said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-hornetssale

mavchokulous
12-06-2010, 10:50 PM
I think the NBA should take over the Mavs since they will have a better chance of advancing past the first round. Unfortunately, Cuban is in town and the Mavs are not sniffing a title.