PDA

View Full Version : It pains me to say this, we are the new PHO SUNS

Basketball Power
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
During the glory years with the Suns (Nash/Amare/Marion), they were great in the regular season scoring at ease. Come playoff time though they got exposed for having no big men and no legit rebounding. Spurs have Duncan, who is sadly a shell of himself, and no other legit 7fter. Pop will make Splitter rot on the bench this season, we all know that. If we get in a playoff series with the Lakers we will get destroyed by there height. I even think the Mavs would beat us in 5 with there THREE 7ft big men.

Only having 1 big man playing will work during the regular season when teams are playing different teams every night and have trouble adjusting, but like the Suns, we will get exposed in the playoffs by a team with bigs.

greyforest
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
No.

admiralsnackbar
12-06-2010, 09:19 AM
No.

This.

phyzik
12-06-2010, 09:20 AM
This team still plays defense.

Ocotillo
12-06-2010, 09:28 AM
This team still plays defense.

This ^^

Chieflion
12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
First, the Spurs became the Dallas Mavericks, then the Phoenix Suns. I can't wait for the Golden State Warriors.

703 Spurz
12-06-2010, 09:37 AM
During the glory years with the Suns (Nash/Amare/Marion), they were great in the regular season scoring at ease. Come playoff time though they got exposed for having no big men and no legit rebounding. Spurs have Duncan, who is sadly a shell of himself, and no other legit 7fter. Pop will make Splitter rot on the bench this season, we all know that. If we get in a playoff series with the Lakers we will get destroyed by there height. I even think the Mavs would beat us in 5 with there THREE 7ft big men.

Only having 1 big man playing will work during the regular season when teams are playing different teams every night and have trouble adjusting, but like the Suns, we will get exposed in the playoffs by a team with bigs.

*Their

8FOR!3
12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
lol, you're saying this one day after the Hornets put up 84 on us when we were playing our scrubs the whole 4th quarter...

Bukefal
12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
No,

and I also don't get the point of saying that or comparing.

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Remarkably stupid thread based on a premise that can be completely blown up by even a cursory reference to the facts.

Could prove somewhat useful as a means to identify those dumb enough to buy this crap.

Buddy Holly
12-06-2010, 09:59 AM
LOL

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Antonio+Spurs+v+Chicago+Bulls+eD6ocKf97G-l.jpg

is greater than

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0510/nba_g_dantoni_580.jpg

tp2021
12-06-2010, 10:10 AM
^ Yep, thats why D'Antoni's pic says "Playoffs" behind him and not "The Finals."

Basketball Power
12-06-2010, 10:14 AM
99 title: Duncan/Drob
03 title: Duncan/Drob
05 title: Duncan/Nazr
07 title: Duncan/Oberto

11 title: Duncan/6ft 7inch Blair? give me a fucking break

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 10:16 AM
:lmao

Now he begins to backpedal from his original post.

admiralsnackbar
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM

Did McDyess and Splitter escape your notice?

Basketball Power
12-06-2010, 10:20 AM

Now he begins to backpedal from his original post.

how so? your reading skills are lacking

Did McDyess and Splitter escape your notice?

Splitter isn't getting minutes, give a me break mentioning his name, let me know when Dyse is 7ft

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Splitter isn't getting minutes, give a me break mentioning his name, let me know when Dyse is 7ft

Let me know if Oberto is 7ft.

Oh and learn the dude's name. Dyse? WTF

admiralsnackbar
12-06-2010, 10:27 AM

If you think Splitter won't be logging heavy minutes by March, you're nuts --
and remind me when Fab was 7 ft.

EDIT**
Beat me to it, BG

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 10:29 AM
how so? your reading skills are lacking

Not at all. You've backpedaled from your original premise which is neatly summarized in the title of this thread.

Basketball Power
12-06-2010, 10:38 AM
Not at all. You've backpedaled from your original premise which is neatly summarized in the title of this thread.

Spurs get destroyed by Kevin Love, lose to the Mavs, I shudder to think when we play the Lakers with Bynum

Spurs are the new Suns, let's enjoy the regular season before the heartbreak of the post season

Pop needs to trade Hill and other to bring a legit Center to SA if they are serious about a title. Oberto being 6/10>>>Dyse 6/9

think about it, our centers are 6ft 9inches and 6ft 7inches, and no one sees a problem? LMAO

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Spurs get destroyed by Kevin Love, lose to the Mavs, I shudder to think when we play the Lakers with Bynum

Spurs are the new Suns, let's enjoy the regular season before the heartbreak of the post season

Pop needs to trade Hill and other to bring a legit Center to SA if they are serious about a title. Oberto being 6/10>>>Dyse 6/9

think about it, our centers are 6ft 9inches and 6ft 7inches, and no one sees a problem? LMAO

:lol

Still backpedaling.

Basketball Power
12-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Still backpedaling.

Still can't read

Ace
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Lol

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 10:46 AM

Still can't read

My reading is still just fine.

Your current position does not equal the premise stated in the thread title and elaborated in the first post.

You either do not understand that simple fact or choose to deny it.

Either way, you fail.

Ace
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
7ft = talent

Buddy Holly
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM

The Suns problem wasn't height, it was the fact that they played no defense at all, whatsoever.

The Suns problem was that their PF was Amare, who was a big man who didn't rebound or play defense.

The Suns problem was that their PG was Steve Nash, who couldn't play defense or guard quicker guards.

The Suns problem wasn't their height.

The Celtics won a title with Garnett and a 6'8 Glen Davis.

The Heat won a title with Shaq and a 6'9 Mourning.

The Spurs won with Duncan and Fab.

You're entire argument is predicated on a falsehood you created for the state of creating an argument.

You need to just pretend like you didn't start this thread and move on.

EJFischer
12-06-2010, 10:52 AM
During the best year of the Run-n-Gun Suns, the 04-05 season, they were first in points per game but 30th in points allowed and 17th in points per 100 possessions. During the entire D'Antoni era they never finished better than 16th in points allowed per 100 possessions.

The Spurs are currently sitting at 7th in points allowed per 100 possessions. Our defense is already much better than any of the elite Suns teams, and improving.

Ryvin1
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM

This is a as valid as say we are also the new Bulls with Dennis Rodman as center that won it all.... which would be wrong.

EVERY YEAR IS DIFFERENT, rules, quality of other teams, players and injuries. I think all the comparisons where people see some simple similarities are only valid in theory, and boy I'm glad we don't play in theory as it seems to be an impossible place to win.

Shifty
12-06-2010, 11:03 AM
... I'm glad we don't play in theory as it seems to be an impossible place to win.

+1

Although for some is also an impossible place to lose.

99-03-05-07
12-06-2010, 11:05 AM
we are better than the run n gun suns!!

ManuTastic
12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Looking past the OP's flawed analogy to the Suns, there is a good observation buried here: if Splitter isn't a quality rotation player by end of the season, LA's big front line will present a huge problem. After all, without Perkins in the finals last year, Boston got out-sized by LA, to the extent that Kobe's crappy last game didn't matter. I agree that Duncan needs some help in the paint to compete well against LA. SA is not going to jump-shoot their way past them in a 7-game series. So the question is: is Splitter going to be that guy that helps Duncan man the paint, or is he going to "rot on the bench" as the OP put it?

Cry Havoc
12-06-2010, 11:09 AM
The Suns never had this guy:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1029/nba_g_duncan_580.jpg

They also didn't have a threat in the post-season outside of Amare and Nash. The Spurs were tailor-made to crush two-headed attacks in the post-season.

Also, Tony Parker knows how to play defense. Steve Nash never figured that part of the NBA out.

Mostly though, it's cause we have Duncan. And the man will still bring it in the real season.

pawe
12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Noob posters posting garbage as usual.
Have you ever watched the SSOL suns play besides the playoff series they had against the Spurs or are you just basing your argument on what sportscenter show you?
They have different philosophies..look it up.

ElNono
12-06-2010, 11:12 AM

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/34/strangle_babies.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
12-06-2010, 11:25 AM
this clown compared us to the failed suns?

biskvito
12-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Pop has the chance do better than those Suns, Spurs can play boring or fun bball. The fun style is awesome when the 3pt is on, lets see if they still can play the boring style.

rascal
12-06-2010, 11:50 AM
lol, you're saying this one day after the Hornets put up 84 on us when we were playing our scrubs the whole 4th quarter...

You need to look further ahead than just yesterday. The spurs frontline is still weak and will not get past the bigger teams in the league.

rascal
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Looking past the OP's flawed analogy to the Suns, there is a good observation buried here: if Splitter isn't a quality rotation player by end of the season, LA's big front line will present a huge problem. After all, without Perkins in the finals last year, Boston got out-sized by LA, to the extent that Kobe's crappy last game didn't matter. I agree that Duncan needs some help in the paint to compete well against LA. SA is not going to jump-shoot their way past them in a 7-game series. So the question is: is Splitter going to be that guy that helps Duncan man the paint, or is he going to "rot on the bench" as the OP put it?

Good point, too many people will key on the Suns analogy and miss the main point.

FromWayDowntown
12-06-2010, 12:46 PM
You mean the Suns who were at least good enough to reach consecutive conference finals without playing any defense at all, and who might well have won it all the following year if their All-NBA big man had just kept his ass planted on the bench?

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-06-2010, 12:50 PM
I think Pop ditched the facial hair to avoid this exact comparison.

jag
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
During the best year of the Run-n-Gun Suns, the 04-05 season, they were first in points per game but 30th in points allowed and 17th in points per 100 possessions. During the entire D'Antoni era they never finished better than 16th in points allowed per 100 possessions.

The Spurs are currently sitting at 7th in points allowed per 100 possessions. Our defense is already much better than any of the elite Suns teams, and improving.

Truckules
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
7ft = talent

Hamed Haddadi is a top 5 player in the NBA.

8FOR!3
12-06-2010, 01:49 PM
LOL at trading Hill for a legit center...you could've at least started that before Hill started playing lights out. He's not being traded, he's an important part of the future of this team.

DrSteffo
12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
The bad timing of this stupid thread is funny. Spurs just demolished the Hornets and played fantastic O and fantastic D in the first half (game over). Scoring a lot of points in various wonderful creative ways and minimising the points of the opponents by playing smart and inspired D is a very good thing me thinks.

Horse
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
The difference is they could'nt make plays when it mattered, we never beat them by much we just made clutch plays and we still have players to do that. Splitter will be worked in Pop even said it's cause he missed training camp. And I don't know what your watching but is bynum better than love? I'm not so sure.

EricB
12-06-2010, 02:16 PM
You mean the Suns who were at least good enough to reach consecutive conference finals without playing any defense at all, and who might well have won it all the following year if their All-NBA big man had just kept his ass planted on the bench?

Damn you Boris diaw!!!!

8FOR!3
12-06-2010, 02:30 PM
You need to look further ahead than just yesterday. The spurs frontline is still weak and will not get past the bigger teams in the league.

Rebounds per game 11th overall with 42.1
Points allowed 12th overall with 97.8

There's 30 teams, so we're essentially in the top 1/3 of the league in defense give or take a couple of teams and we've easily got a top 5 offense. We've also got intangibles which is a big reason we find ways to win games against teams like Minnesota who are up 15 going into the 4th. You're argument is pretty null and void man.

Blake
12-06-2010, 03:06 PM

In the playoffs it seems like it will definitely come down to the Spurs making their threes to get by Dallas or LA.

Darkwaters
12-06-2010, 03:25 PM
First, the Spurs became the Dallas Mavericks, then the Phoenix Suns. I can't wait for the Golden State Warriors.

I hate to say it. But the Spurs are the new Charlotte Bobcats...

Trainwreck2100
12-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Warriors? Yellow shirts for everyone

Nathan Explosion
12-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Phil Jackson doesn't have confidence in his frontline and they're coming off back to back titles. LA beat Boston because the Celtics couldn't grab an important rebound. I'll buy that. But LA also won because nobody guarded Rondo on the perimeter and Rondo couldn't hit a shot to save his life. Parker is a much better shooter and scorer than Rondo and has flashed a bit of 3 point range. He doesn't have to make the 3 a huge part of his game, just make enough of them to cause LA to play over the top on screens instead of packing the lane.

Right now the Spurs and Lakers frontlines are in a similar situation. But the Spurs group of guards will really determine if they can beat LA.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Since when has DUNCAN even been 7ft? Where'd this troll come from? :lol

SpursDynasty85
12-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Popovich will not let Splitter rot on the bench all year. The road trip and schedule will force Popovich to play Splitter. Spurs only have 5 big man, and two of whom are two old to play extended minutes at the end of the season.

The difference between the Spurs and Phoenix, is Duncan,Mcdyess,Ginobili,Parker,Hill, and Splitter are better defensively than everyone on the Suns except Marion.

The spurs have the experience from Duncan,Ginobili,Parker,and Mcdyess to preach to their teammates that not playing defense will not be allowed towards the stretch run and in the playoffs.

The Spurs are nowhere near as bad defensively as the Suns were. Our offense could be deadlier tho, because the Suns were one dimensional because everything ran through Nash..

Spurs have more playmakers. They are older, but that can be negated by the amount of championship experience they have. Compared to 0 experience from those Suns. The Suns definitely could have won a title, if it wasn't for the Spurs so, I wouldn't say a comparison is completely negative. The suns might have been one robert horry foul from winning that year.

... just my thoughts tho.... you dont have to agree..

VBM
12-06-2010, 04:43 PM
http://www.thesunblog.com/gourmetgal/pho.jpg

duhoh
12-06-2010, 04:51 PM

what the pho is wrong with you OP?

size helps, but it isn't everything.

dirk, dampier, and diop couldn't get anything done. yao and scola haven't done anything. d12 and gortat are dangerous pretenders.

some people reveal their "genius" when they just talk. come on sons. get smarter.

Sisk
12-06-2010, 04:53 PM

Agloco
12-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Remarkably stupid thread based on a premise that can be completely blown up by even a cursory reference to the facts.

Could prove somewhat useful as a means to identify those dumb enough to buy this crap.

Agloco
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM

This, without a doubt is the strongest post in this thread. We can close it out now.

PHO-Real though. :lol

rascal
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
This, without a doubt is the strongest post in this thread. We can close it out now.

PHO-Real though. :lol

I don't get that post.

TD 21
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Wow . . . where do I start?

These Spurs are nothing like those Suns. The Spurs are 7th in the league in defensive efficiency and are actually playing the highest level of sustained defense they've played in roughly two and a half years. This is with Duncan playing under 30 mpg, Splitter being used sparingly, McDyess being used only slightly more than sparingly at the moment and with Anderson (who showed early defensive promise) injured.

The Suns had no legit big men or rebounding, but the Spurs do. The Spurs have the third best all around big man in the game and three of the better rebounders in the game. They've also got two post players longer than any that were ever in the Suns rotation (save for the year they had Hunter and the year they had O'Neal in the playoffs).

The Mavs have two true big men, both are role players and because of their limitations, can't play together. Nowitzki might as well be 6-7.

And the Spurs centers aren't "6-9 and 6-7", they're 6-11 and 6-11 (presuming Splitter eventually becomes a rotation player). I keep hearing about the Spurs needing a "legit center". Wake up. Duncan is strictly a center at this point in his career and save for Howard, there isn't a better full-time center in the league.

Mel_13
12-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't get that post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph%E1%BB%9F

wunderkindepiphany
12-07-2010, 01:46 AM
It pains me to say this, but Basketball Power is the new Farve, from Supertroopers.

itzsoweezee
12-07-2010, 01:57 AM

Duncan is our center. So I don't see the problem.

Our perimeter defense is awesome, and we're forcing turnovers. Things could be better, but I'm glad to see that the Spurs are less focused on defensive rotations and more on imposing pressure on the opposition.

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2010, 04:51 AM

Size can be a legit concern but,.......this thread mostly has to do with if's, buts, & what hasn't happened. Terrible comparison.

KaiRMD1
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
The Spurs are who we think they are, the Spurs

ducks
12-21-2010, 12:16 AM
spurs beat the suns

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 02:20 AM
:rolleyes

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 02:21 AM
:bang

TE
12-21-2010, 02:32 AM
:bang

Working on that past count, ey?

greyforest
12-21-2010, 04:51 AM
No.

Hooks
12-21-2010, 04:56 AM

This shit looks delicious.

m33p0
12-21-2010, 05:22 AM
should we be expecting the ratings championship coming our way anytime soon?

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 05:29 AM
Eh, not really. Just felt it in the moment. Stupid thread is all.

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 05:29 AM
But just so you can say I did.:lol

G-Dawgg
12-21-2010, 05:56 AM
The Suns problem wasn't height, it was the fact that they played no defense at all, whatsoever.

The Suns problem was that their PF was Amare, who was a big man who didn't rebound or play defense.

The Suns problem was that their PG was Steve Nash, who couldn't play defense or guard quicker guards.

The Suns problem wasn't their height.

The Celtics won a title with Garnett and a 6'8 Glen Davis.

The Heat won a title with Shaq and a 6'9 Mourning.

The Spurs won with Duncan and Fab.

You're entire argument is predicated on a falsehood you created for the state of creating an argument.

You need to just pretend like you didn't start this thread and move on.

And Dallas won with a 7ft Dirk...oh wait they didn't win....bahahahaaa :lol Losers

100%duncan
12-21-2010, 06:03 AM
how could you say that? its not even playoffs yet. too many whiners nowadays. I dont understand some people here. If the Spurs lose they have problems and if they win you still have problems? c'mon dont be a whiner. you couldn't ask any better win-lose than ours.

UnWantedTheory
12-21-2010, 06:05 AM
That GIF of yours makes me proud to be an American. I wanna shake her fathers hand. Damn service he did for this country.

Texas_Ranger
12-21-2010, 06:11 AM

:vomit:

SenorSpur
12-21-2010, 10:45 AM

I don't know about that "Spurs are the new Suns" tag, however I will agree that, outside of Duncan, the Spurs frontline is flawed and should be considered the proverbial "white elephant" in the room. The mere fact that Duncan is still having to carry the "lionshare" of the load on the frontline, is very troubling. Each one of the other bigs has at least one HUGE flaw or another. Flaws that prevent them from providing the steady, adequate contribution that can aid Duncan, on a night-to-night basis. This is something that the Spurs may be able to cleverly mask during the regular season against inferior opponents. However, it is bound to become exposed against teams like the Fakers, Mavs & Celtics, who all boast some of the more taller frontlines in the NBA.

Personally, I still have a vivid picture of the Suns running roughshod through the Spurs interior in their last playoff series. Similar to the way they were getting inside in the paint and to the rim last night. Splitter was supposed to help remedy this by riding "shotgun" with Duncan, but the jury is still out on him - for several reasons.

Duncan can no longer generate massive double-doubles on a nightly basis - and he shouldn't have to. However, for the Spurs to go deep in the playoffs, he must because the Spurs frontline is limited. The bottom line is Manu and TP can be their brilliant selves on the perimeter, Yet getting consistent production from Duncan will determine how far they go.

100%duncan
12-22-2010, 02:17 AM
The Suns never had this guy:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1029/nba_g_duncan_580.jpg

They also didn't have a threat in the post-season outside of Amare and Nash. The Spurs were tailor-made to crush two-headed attacks in the post-season.

Also, Tony Parker knows how to play defense. Steve Nash never figured that part of the NBA out.

Mostly though, it's cause we have Duncan. And the man will still bring it in the real season.

CH with the goods

ClingingMars
12-22-2010, 03:04 AM
this has to be one of the top 10 dumbest threads I've ever read on ST

Xylus
12-22-2010, 04:07 AM
I don't understand why everyone thinks that the '04-'05 Suns was the best Phoenix squad of the decade. Last year's 2010 team would have killed that 2005 team (if such a thing were possible), regardless of Amare's athleticism.