PDA

View Full Version : Does NBA ball mess up your pickup ball game?

pauls931
12-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I do one thing that pisses people off. If I get fouled on the shot, I wait to see if it goes in before calling a foul. Even if I damn near get my head ripped off, it pisses people off because they want the foul called by the offensive player the instant it happens. What's the rule here?

Another question. If someone guards you and grabs the wrist of the hand you're not dribbling with that causes you to lose control of the ball and they steal it. Is that a foul? I called a guy on that today and he got butt hurt saying you weren't dribbling with that hand. I dunno, seems like a foul.

Cry Havoc
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I do one thing that pisses people off. If I get fouled on the shot, I wait to see if it goes in before calling a foul. Even if I damn near get my head ripped off, it pisses people off because they want the foul called by the offensive player the instant it happens. What's the rule here?

Another question. If someone guards you and grabs the wrist of the hand you're not dribbling with that causes you to lose control of the ball and they steal it. Is that a foul? I called a guy on that today and he got butt hurt saying you weren't dribbling with that hand. I dunno, seems like a foul.

Initiated contact by the defender is a foul, unless he's using his forearm with your back to him, or he has his hands on the ball. Period. Grabbing an offensive player is always a foul, and if they call you a pansy for it, tell them to defend you like a man instead of trying to grab your hands.

But if you're in the act, you should call the foul as soon as possible. If the shot goes in, you can still call the bucket good, at least that's the way with all the pick-up I've played.

Hemotivo
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
they want the foul called by the offensive player the instant it happens.

that's the rule

bdictjames
12-06-2010, 04:59 PM
It is a foul, whether they grab your hand, foot, or not. Its a foul.

Cry Havoc: I do tend to mess with that sometimes. Sadly, in my area, if you call a foul the basket does not count regardless if it goes in or not. That's why I don't call foul sometimes, that's why people get mad at me for not calling em lol.

pauls931
12-06-2010, 05:01 PM
that's the rule

I need to try to fix the habit because the previous poster is right, if it goes in it counts. Letting the refs on TV mess with me.

Ya, the foul thing baffled me, the guy didn't even hit my hand, he literally grabbed the wrist on one hand, I guess to keep me from protecting the ball so he could hit it and not have me grab it with that hand.

BTW, that lakaluva is taking being a tool to a new level. :lol

Andy25
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I expect too much of my teammates I guess.

Hemotivo
12-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Ya, the foul thing baffled me, the guy didn't even hit my hand, he literally grabbed the wrist on one hand, I guess to keep me from protecting the ball so he could hit it and not have me grab it with that hand.

you could do the same to him too

toughen up

and explain the rules

pauls931
12-06-2010, 05:16 PM
you could do the same to him too

toughen up

and explain the rules

Na, I try to play D as clean as I can. I'll just stick with the rules. Most people don't do much if you stay in front of them. Grabbing and pushing is stuff old guys use to compensate.

Cry Havoc
12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
It is a foul, whether they grab your hand, foot, or not. Its a foul.

Cry Havoc: I do tend to mess with that sometimes. Sadly, in my area, if you call a foul the basket does not count regardless if it goes in or not. That's why I don't call foul sometimes, that's why people get mad at me for not calling em lol.

If you get fouled in the act while you're in mid-shot, I've never played on a court anywhere that doesn't allow the shot to count if it goes in.

*You go up for a shot*

"AH! Got one!" *swoosh*

"Count it."

That's the way I've always, always seen it played.

young.hustle
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM

1. that shit should not happen. You could get yourself hurt easily playing with simians like that. In my league we take care, it don't make no sense to go to the hoop and roll an ankle even if u play for money. If u don't believe me just wait till serious injury happens (and it does happen frequently).

2. lol if that someone learned ball in the 80s tell them to wake up. On purpose contact off ball is ALWAYS a foul, don't matter if u poke his eye, tap his dick, trip him, etc. Always a foul on initiated contact.
There are exceptions: when u tip a pass and you don't have clear possesion of a ball and another player tries to reach the ball there can be some contact if both players try to get the ball directly (no pushing or shit like that).Anyways those are extremely rare but faggots with no game always invoke the most wild shits for excuse.
Check the manual on nba.com.

3. it's considered cool or to
a) play it rough as fuck and call "blood=foul"
b) play it pussy like where every nigga think he dwade.

Best advice: get into a serious group if u care for your health and want to play some serious ball. Btw, if people know how to play its quite common to shoot a free throw per foul. Furthermore to discourage fouling there are variations like losing on 10 team fouls for ex.

Now some faggots would say this is pussyfication, but the same faggots won't be able to play hafl the year due to injuries and thus will never be able to evolve/maintain a certain level.

That being said, stop bein a pussy go out there and fuck a nigga up if they trippin. :lol Then u can say: "i'm sorry", " i didn't meant it", "i tripped", "he tripped", "bad luck". A player know how to adapt to the toughest environments.

pauls931
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
We're just a mix of young guys and geezers, we never track fouls. Just check the ball again. I don't think there's been an offensive foul ever called by a defender ever with the group I play with.

Regarding injury, it's not a problem mostly just rolled ankles, dislocated one of my fingers(twice in the same game) a couple months back, just incidental shit that happens.

My take is it's my fault for not calling fouls the instant they happen and that grabbing someone's arm is not cool. It's always the athletic guys that hack the shit out of my arms that I have to call this on and they always have the same reaction.

FkLA
12-06-2010, 06:09 PM
say 'and1'

problem solved. god bless you and your family.

Agloco
12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
say 'and1'

problem solved. god bless you and your family.

Yeap. I always used to yell this, then walk to the other end of the court after the shot went in.

Think about it, if it doesn't work that way then there's reason for the defender to initiate some sort of contact each and every time just in an attmpt to throw the shot off.......they ain't sittin after 6.

xellos88330
12-06-2010, 07:48 PM
I usually yell and 1. Seems to work for me. If I made the shot, it counts. If not, ball.

cobbler
12-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I never call them cause they ALWAYS go in.

Ace
12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/lakers/0811fbl_teamtrophy.jpg

cobbler
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey Welcher boy! How about getting together and well have a little shooting contest? A grand a shot maybe? Oh wait... you don't pay your debts...

Ace
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey Welcher boy! How about getting together and well have a little shooting contest? A grand a shot maybe? Oh wait... you don't pay your debts...
Link?

Do you even know what welcher means?

cobbler
12-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Link?

Do you even know what welcher means?

Funny, HarlemHobag asked me the very same just yesterday... ohhhhh wait, my bad... nevermind. :lol

Noun 1. welcher - someone who swindles you by not repaying a debt or wager

You gonna take my wager, Ace?

Sure

Done...

Boston wins you're out until January 1st 2011.

Miami wins and I'm out until Jaunary 1st 2011.

Deal

Date today: December 6th 2010

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164012

BlackSwordsMan
12-06-2010, 08:47 PM
if anyone says yes and has dallas mavericks or san antonio spurs as their favorite team
they're lying everyone in texas is fat

Ace
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Noun 1. welcher - someone who swindles you by not repaying a debt or wager
No debt is owned, so even when you look up the meaning you failed. Story of your life.

Ace
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
And you're a fucking liar, you fucking welcher. :cry
What's with all the female tendencies out of you lately?

cobbler
12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
No debt is owned, so even when you look up the meaning you failed. Story of your life.

Did you mean owed you moron?

If by that you mean Cully let you off the hook after you welched... uhhh ok.

You welched. You are a welcher. Your high horse isn't so tall these days. :lol

frodo
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
typical suns fan imho. tbh there's nothing better to expect from suns fans these days since the only legit one of them got banned.

Ace
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
You win HO.... Congrats on being the class act you are.

It's been fun guys.... Enjoyed the bantar with one and all and even you HoBitch. But thats a line that should never have been crossed.

I'm outta here. Good luck to all your teams in the future and go Lakers! :cry

NZ Spurs
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Harden up. No blood no foul.

mavchokulous
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
My friend you should invest in some squatting that will prevent you from playing like a bitch.

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2010, 12:14 AM

just call foul its not like there's and 1's in pickup games

SpursDynasty85
12-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I feel your pain on this one. Rec ball sometimes turns into a more complicated process than the NBA. Some people play continuation. Some Don't. Most Don't nowadays it seems.

If you want to continue to play Recball competitively, I suggest befriending a few friends and always playing with them.

Also, call your fouls early and often. You might hear some complaining initially, but bball is a chess match and if you are calling legitamite fouls early then the defenders might complain but they'll have to adjust or else the game's just not gonna be fun for anyone. Just gotta be more patient. Sometimes you just gotta whine like the babies that you are playing with.