PDA

View Full Version : Splitter, by the numbers..

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2010, 09:26 PM
So, from reading the game threads and some of these threads, it's pretty evident that a lot of people here are either being too critical of Splitter, or just have unrealistic expectations for him..

Here are some of the numbers and plays that Splitter has been involved in:

Clearly, creating his own offense has been a weakness so far..

He is 2-11 in the post, with the Spurs only scoring on 25% of the plays with a Splitter post-up..while getting more work will help, it's pretty clear that he can't create his own offense so far..the quality of the opposing defender hasn't made a difference, he has struggled against all of them..he brings the ball up from too low, he hasn't had any touch on his shots, he's rushing it..

In every other offensive aspect, he has been good..

He is 7-11 on the pick&roll, he has drawn fouls on 27% of the attempts, the Spurs score on 67% of their p&r attempts when Splitter is involved, which is obviously a very high success rate..the Cavs game being the main example of the kind of damage Splitter can do..the Spurs ran 4 p&rs for Splitter in that game, he converted all of them, and they were all assisted by Tony Parker..

The Spurs have scored on 53% of plays where Splitter is a cutter, he draws fouls on 20% of them..a good success rate..he has shown a good ability to play off the ball and to know where to be when his perimeter players have it..

The Spurs score on 75% of attempts where Splitter is involved in an offensive rebound situation..while his rebounding has struggled, he has shown a good awareness of where to be for offensive rebounds and box-outs..he has been in great position for multiple tip-ins, he has drawn fouls on multiple plays of this nature, he shows good energy and awareness in this regard..

To summarize, offensively, it's pretty clear that Splitter's weakness is creating his own offense, which isn't really a significant problem for this team, since they have 3 players that can create for themselves + their teammates, along with 2 others that can do it on a semi-consistent basis(RJ+Hill)..you would be hard-pressed to find a team with more options than that(the Lakers are probably the only other team that can match)..

It's obvious from these numbers and from anybody watching games, that Splitter does very well in p&r and slashing situations..

When he's being put on the floor with scrubs that can't pass, he will obviously look bad, since he's being forced to create his own offense, it's simple basketball..maybe he will eventually figure out his 1 on 1 offense, but right now, this is obviously a guy that shouldn't be relied on, and shouldn't be judged, on his ability to create his own offense..

Defensively, Splitter has clearly been good..

His main weakness has been defending post-ups, where he has been getting pushed around for position at times..opponents have shot 10-18 against him in the post and have scored on 56% of the attempts against him in post-ups..this might turn out to be a problem, but I don't think it will be..Duncan is the primary defender of post-up players, since he struggles against face-up bigs..if Splitter and Duncan aren't playing together, then Splitter will be going up against bench bigs, and it's rare that you will find a bench big man with a serious post-up game..

Everywhere else, he has been good, especially in 2 facets where the Spurs have struggled for a few years now..

Face-up defense has been his main strength..for those that have watched the Spurs the last few years, this has been the main weakness of the Spurs' D IMO..the Spurs have lacked a mobile big man for years now, and tend to struggle against quick PFs and hybrids that are more common in today's NBA..

Opponents have shot 2 for 12 against Splitter in 1 on 1 face-up situations, which is obviously an elite %..opponents have only scored on 14% of their opportunities in 1 on 1 situations against him..

The other strength being p&r D, where opponents have only scored on 25% of the attempts against Splitter, albeit on limited attempts..everybody knows that the Spurs have had trouble in pick and roll situations the last few years, so this is a good sign, so far..

Overall, of all the Spurs big men, only Duncan has been rated ahead of Splitter as a defender..obviously you must account for the fact that some of these stats include Splitter playing against a 1 or 2 scrub big men(although most of them aren't), which isn't the case for Bonner/McDyess/Blair..

Another thing to note is that Splitter has already drawn 5 charges this season, which is 3rd on the Spurs, only behind Manu and George Hill..he has obviously played significantly less minutes than both, so it's impressive..last season, the leading Spurs big man in charges taken was Matt Bonner with 10, so Splitter is already halfway there, despite playing only 16 games and obviously much less than Bonner did in his 65 games last year..

So overall, he has been impressive IMO, especially when you consider the fact that he still has to make the adjustment to the NBA game, which won't come without experience and playing time..a lot of this criticism is probably due to unrealistic expectations from the hype he has received on SpursTalk and the fact that it took so long for him to get here..a lot of it is also due to people not understanding his strengths and weaknesses IMO..

Bartleby
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
It seems worth noting that Splitter has been getting the rookie treatment from the refs pretty bad, especially on D.

silverblackfan
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice breakdown of the player. I didn't know what to expect, but a 7' tall player. I like his energy and awareness on the court. He will only improve with more playing time and familiarity with the system.
Sure I am impatient for him to take over a game, but again he is probably more Oberto or Malik than Robinson. Which would be just fine, him being a 7 footer...

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 09:39 PM
+1. Spurs fans who were expecting Splitter to come in and instantly get major minutes and put up monster numbers, need to lower their expectations a bit, realizing that Splitter, not only needed to prove hes healthy, but to also slowly get integrated into the Spurs system. It will take time, but theres no reason, IMO, that Splitter will not be a factor and a regular in the Spurs rotation, by seasons end.

Ocotillo
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
He also took a charge against Aaron Gray that was called a blocking foul in error last night.

Amuseddaysleeper
12-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Major major props. That was a great profile of how Tiago is actually doing. I really wish the Spurs would run more plays for him. He still gets ignored on offense too much.

When do you think he will start playing around 25-30 mpg?

TD 21
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I actually think he will be a decent back to the basket scorer in the NBA. He's shown as much both in Europe and when playing for Brazil internationally. Not the same level as the NBA obviously, but still high levels, nonetheless. I've got to think, at some point, that will translate.

Other than that, none of these stats surprise me. He's been about what I expected and I'm not the least bit surprised with his role, either.

I'm not really looking for much statistically (since his true value will come in the intangibles he brings), I just want to see more of him period, but especially paired with Duncan and I want to see him guard Gasol, Odom and Nowitzki, specifically.

Amuseddaysleeper, don't count on him getting 25-30 mpg until at least next season, but potentially not until Duncan retires (at least as far as around 30 mpg goes). Let's just hope he starts getting a consistent 15-20 mpg soon.

jjktkk
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
When do you think he will start playing around 25-30 mpg?

Next year.

kaji157
12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I have watched him a lot in euro and i would say that his post up game is much better than what he has shown now.
And for what i´ve seen on Spurs games, the reasons of his poor post up percentage seems to be.
1) He often forces a shot here and there because the guards never pass him the ball.
2) When they do, the entry pass is eaither weak or when he has yet to attain a good post up position.

It´s no surprise to me, because when Splitter is on court Hill seems to be the primary ballhandler and his main weakness is passing.
Hill struggled to play the pick n roll with Blair last year, a player that succeeded with both Tony and Manu.

Blackjack
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Good stuff, Harlem. :tu

Splitter's been everything I expected and more, relative to the amount of time and circumstance. The Fab comparisons are pretty favorable in his court savvy and ability to play out on the floor to aid as a pick setter or as a defensive big, but he's clearly a more talented player.

He's clearly pressing, and it's hard to blame him. The guy had to believe he'd be a big part of what the Spurs do once he decided to make the jump from overseas. But the amount of time he's played, the injuries that hampered before and during camp and the fact that he's had a history of being somewhat prone to nagging injuries, it's just put him behind the 8-ball on two fronts: the obvious physical and mental adjustment/recouping; and the fact that he's playing for a coach that errs on the side of caution's caution.

I have liked that he's played with a bit of swagger and confidence about him when he's in the game. The results haven't looked all that great, and even downright ugly at times, but he believes he's a pretty damn good player and that he should be getting the ball and thriving against some of the players he's gone at. Almost like they were bums -- the look he gave Gadzuric after being fouled was priceless. Like, "Are you serious? LOL."

Once he's getting looks with the first unit and is allowed to settle in as someone who can thrive off the playmaking of the Big 3 + 1, then we'll really start to see him shine. He'll be able to catch the ball in his spots, make one post dribble or go straight into a post move, then you'll see how efficient he is.

But right now, he's Jonesing for some PT and has felt the need to take the ball from the wing to a post-up all on his own. That's not who he is, just what he's been forced to do to get a look because of who he's been playing with.

Kid's going to be solid.

diego
12-06-2010, 10:08 PM
eh, the numbers dont diverge much from what i've seen, but they don't show what worries me. for all the instinct he's shown, he also looks uncomfortable, between pop, the refs, teammates, opponents, to some extent language.. its a lot to learn and he seems to be struggling with it. i would say he's been effective despite looking both spastic and spacey; on the other hand, that's where the potential lies for him to settle in and maximize his talent. All I really expect from him is picks, rolls, pick and roll defense, and intangibles, provided pop can get him to settle in.

SA210
Great post! Send this shit to Pop!

HarlemHeat37
I agree that Splitter will be a much better post-up player than he has shown so far..his footwork has been pretty good, it's mostly his shot that has been the problem..I'm assuming the Spurs' coaches will work on that a little..

My point is that I can understand why Pop would be reluctant to run plays for him in the post, or why fans would think poorly of Splitter(in that regard), but the p&r/screen/cutting plays should be his main playcalling, which is why I would like to see him play more with the big 3..

HarlemHeat37
12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
eh, the numbers dont diverge much from what i've seen, but they don't show what worries me. for all the instinct he's shown, he also looks uncomfortable, between pop, the refs, teammates, opponents, to some extent language.. its a lot to learn and he seems to be struggling with it. i would say he's been effective despite looking both spastic and spacey; on the other hand, that's where the potential lies for him to settle in and maximize his talent. All I really expect from him is picks, rolls, pick and roll defense, and intangibles, provided pop can get him to settle in.

I agree to an extent..it's definitely going to be an adjustment period and he has shown discomfort on the court, especially when it comes to banging inside..however, he does show confidence, he asks for the ball in the post all the time(which is something you wouldn't see if he didn't have a good amount of confidence)..

The main problem I have with his game is that he's too soft on the boards..a lot of the time, he's in good position and makes a good box-out, but goes up for the rebound very softly..his hands have been very poor in rebound situations, which is something he's gonna have to get more comfortable with..

DPG21920
12-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I commented that Tiago was bringing the ball up from too low. It is very noticeable. Just being cognizant of that will help him out.

L.I.T
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
One thing I have noticed with his post game is he really hasn't been getting great position, or been set up well in the post. One example is back in the Dallas game with Mahinmi on him. He passed out of the post, reset, had great position but the entry pass didn't come back to him.

That and I still think his shot is easily disrupted by NBA-level defenders.

E-RockWill
12-06-2010, 10:24 PM
I have seen Splitter coming off the p&r ready to get that pass, only to get shrugged off many times. I don't get it.....

Well done, HH37. Cheers.

TD 21
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
The only fans that would think poorly of Splitter are those that are either unknowledgeable, attention whores or both.

Makes too much sense to play him with the big three. What if he fits like a glove, then how can the coach justify having him out of the rotation? He can't have that possibility arise.

The only way he plays next to Duncan with any semblance of regularity this season (other than the other bigs being injured) is if Duncan tells Pop "I'd like to play next to a big again who can run, jump and is eye level with me, before my career is over".

Big P
12-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Good read.....I laugh at all these people who are ready to throw Tiago under the bus after less than 20 games.

Em-City
12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
nice post

BRs.Ganso
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Nice thread Harlem!

ChuckD
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
One thing I have noticed with his post game is he really hasn't been getting great position, or been set up well in the post. One example is back in the Dallas game with Mahinmi on him. He passed out of the post, reset, had great position but the entry pass didn't come back to him.

That and I still think his shot is easily disrupted by NBA-level defenders.

His soft little hooks and runners regularly get sent back to the kitchen. He needs to learn how to bump the defender to keep him on the ground, or dunk those HARD.

rmt
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
The only fans that would think poorly of Splitter are those that are either unknowledgeable, attention whores or both.

Makes too much sense to play him with the big three. What if he fits like a glove, then how can the coach justify having him out of the rotation? He can't have that possibility arise.

The only way he plays next to Duncan with any semblance of regularity this season (other than the other bigs being injured) is if Duncan tells Pop "I'd like to play next to a big again who can run, jump and is eye level with me, before my career is over".

Oh, it can't be that Duncan would like to save wear and tear on his body or make life easier for himself. Why would he want someone who could help him instead of someone he's always having to cover for?

Didn't Duncan once say that Bonner's hit him several times and never once apologized? Can't think that Bonner's one of Duncan's favorite team mates.

But Pop's in love with the stretch 4. Will Smith's double must somehow morph into the Red Rocket in Pop's dreams :sleep.

ChuckD
12-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Good read.....I laugh at all these people who are ready to throw Tiago under the bus after less than 20 games.

I'm not ready to throw him under the bus, he's just not got an NBA big man's game to warrant big minutes yet.

dunkman
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Few players put that efficient offensive numbers playing only in garbage time, so I would say he's very talented offensively. He goes often to the FT line too. And off course, he looks good on defense too.

But for some reason, Pop don't want to play Duncan and Splitter at the same time and Splitter plays only in limited minutes. Also he should get some touches.

I think that Pop will make some tweaks in the playoffs rotation, once the actual rotation stops working well.

In one of the championship runs, Pop sent Manu to the bench come as sixth man, I think it was against Denver. It was very difficult up to that point, after that, the Spurs started winning their games much easier.

5in10
12-06-2010, 11:06 PM
once he's getting looks with the first unit and is allowed to settle in as someone who can thrive off the playmaking of the big 3 + 1, then we'll really start to see him shine. He'll be able to catch the ball in his spots, make one post dribble or go straight into a post move, then you'll see how efficient he is.

this

LeCrab
12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
So im guessing every one is just going to act like they didn't see what happened when splitter played with manu and tony.... and im assuming every one is just goingt to forget about how splitter is always in the right spot for put backs how he is dangerous on the pick and roll and how great he is on defense.....:rolleyes

Libri
12-06-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree that Splitter will be a much better post-up player than he has shown so far..his footwork has been pretty good, it's mostly his shot that has been the problem..I'm assuming the Spurs' coaches will work on that a little..

My point is that I can understand why Pop would be reluctant to run plays for him in the post, or why fans would think poorly of Splitter(in that regard), but the p&r/screen/cutting plays should be his main playcalling, which is why I would like to see him play more with the big 3..

It would be great if he can develop a midrange shot but I'm not going to expect much from him in that area.

SequSpur
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
Then why does Pop give him Carl Herrera minutes? Dude... he has played in one game that meant something, the rest were fill in minutes and blowouts....

Huh?

You can't statistically rack that shit up.... Here is a few things I noticed that don't hit the stat board... He doesn't play big, he dribbles to much, he doesn't hold the ball above his head, he doesn't dunk much, he should be rippin the rim down... He runs around with a smile on his face like he is playing tag out there... Well, it's simple...Pop doesn't play him because he probably isn't worthy of it... James Anderson damn near started the first few games...Dejuan Blair was robbed of the rookie allstar game mvp...this dude maybe parking cars during allstar weekend...

But anyway, very good write up Harlem...Go Spurstalk stuff.

Chomag
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
I'll take a young Oberto if that is Splitters ceiling. And I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

Sofaking
12-07-2010, 12:03 AM
The Splitter hate has been tame compared to the Blair hate :lol...Spurs fans boy oh boy. Like I said in one of those 50 billion bench/trade Blair threads, people are expecting the spurs to dump it down (4 down) plays for Splitter, basically from what I make out, Gasol-lite type of player. The Spurs will need both Blair and Splitter if they plan on getting to the promise land. I have no impressions of Splitter. I've seen him play and I know what to expect. In the NBA at best 13pts, 7.5 rbs. Splitter is not the next Manu, he is though, a very good role-player. Euro star doesn't= Nba star or even scrub but I think its safe to say he's not a scrub. He's Oberto mix with Rasho

GSH
12-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Why is everybody so quick to forget about the injury? How many times have we seen one of the Spurs players get injured, and Pop wouldn't allow them to come back as quickly as they wanted to? And when he did let them come back, he wouldn't let them have the minutes they wanted right away?

I talked about this when the injury was first reported, but I'll repeat it. A friend of mine had a plantaris injury, and his orthopedist told him, "It's never just the plantaris." It's a small muscle that doesn't do much, but from what I understand that is why it is not a common injury. And a lot of the time it comes along with a small ACL tear. And when athletes try to come back too quickly from the plantaris, they often wind up injuring the ACL much worse.

Splitter's injury is only 2 months old. Looking at his minutes, it's not hard for me to believe that Pop could be watching his minutes closely, and bringing him along slowly. (Which would be the ideal way to bring someone back with a potential ACL problem.) In the few games where Pop has put Splitter in for extended minutes, he has held him to few or no minutes in the next game. I don't think it's a punishment, and I don't think Pop is stupid. What else is left?

I think the Spurs have learned a lot about injuries that are caused by repeated stress or trauma. And if they could do things over again, I bet they would have held Tim out of more games. This year they have the luxury of being 16-3, with Splitter playing short minutes. How much better could they have been, up to now?

Personally, I don't think Pop will give him a lot of minutes until that injury is at least 90 days old. I wouldn't. It's early in the season, and early in Splitter's career. What's the rush?

peskypesky
12-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Splitter has his strengths and his weaknesses. And he's very green.

The main weakness I see is that he can't create for himself. Not a lot of big men can these days. To score, he's going to need someone to feed him. If he's playing with good passers, like Manu or Tim, I think he'll be able to convert quite a few buckets.

He's energetic, smart, aggressive enough, knows how to draw fouls, and he's tall. I really hope that Pop figures out how to utilize him as the season goes along.

Hoops Czar
12-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Good stuff, Harlem. :tu

Splitter's been everything I expected and more,

Surely, you jest.

Blackjack
12-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Surely, you jest.

Jest, you surely.

LatinLover69
12-07-2010, 01:26 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sl6D8cegQrA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sl6D8cegQrA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

LatinLover69
12-07-2010, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl6D8cegQrA

jjktkk
12-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Jest, you surely.

And don't call me Shirley.

Blackjack
12-07-2010, 01:45 AM
And don't call me Shirley.

My hero . . . :depressed

LcKJdmXbBBc

"Like a midget in a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Lt. Frank Drebin, Police Squad.

RIP

jjktkk
12-07-2010, 02:05 AM
My hero . . . :depressed

LcKJdmXbBBc

"Like a midget in a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Lt. Frank Drebin, Police Squad.

RIP

Mine too. "Say thats a might fine beaver you got there."

DrSteffo
12-07-2010, 04:48 AM
Big props to Harlem for starting this thread. I am confident that the Spurs will utilize Splitter's abilities much better when he gets PT with Parker or Manu. Their PnR play should be sweet. Splitter's rebounding should be slightly below average and his passing above average and one of his strengths. I hope to see more of his hook shot but I have no real hope that he will learn to shoot from the outside.

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2010, 07:12 AM
I read the OP's post and somewhat agree, but is it just me, or does Splitter's release look funny? Not sure if this has been mentioned or not. When he goes up for a layup it looks awkward...

UnWantedTheory
12-07-2010, 07:15 AM
^^^Like a twist of the hand or something? Am I the only one seeing that? Given I drink alot during games, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Capt Bringdown
12-07-2010, 08:26 AM
So im guessing every one is just going to act like they didn't see what happened when splitter played with manu and tony...

And why haven't we seen more of that since? The very next game he got 10 secs playing time. Pop's just showing us who's boss I guess.

TJastal
12-07-2010, 08:52 AM
It seems worth noting that Splitter has been getting the rookie treatment from the refs pretty bad, especially on D.

Simple truth of the matter is the refs aren't going to respect a guy playing sporadic minutes behind Matt Bonner. The longer Splitter stays out of Pop's rotation, the less familarity and respect he will recieve from nba refs.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Matt Bonner will continue to get all kinds of attention for his hot shooting games against the leagues' scrub teams and yet still won't be able to buy a call come playoff time. Again, just a a simple truth of the matter.

Ice009
12-07-2010, 08:54 AM
There's a new article at the EN where this is discussed a bit. Some quotes from Pop in the article.

Not sure what I can or can't post so I will just link to the article - http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/07/patience-a-virtue-for-splitter-blair/

mountainballer
12-07-2010, 09:07 AM
great!
best player by numbers analysis since...well I guess since Harlem made the last such post.

I do think the whole Splitter discussion will be obsolete soon. and I do think Pop has a plan.
fact is, the season is only thru the 1st quarter. plenty games left (much more important games) to give Splitter more minutes.
he was injured, missed camp and season start. I can see why Pop wants to bring him extremely slow and carefully, (I guess he even said something along that line) especially as long as there is absolutely no need to change the winning formula.
2002-03 Manu also struggled with an injury and it took quite some time till he got his role with the team. (till the point when Pop decided to bench Smith and hand his minutes to Sjax and Manu). I wouldn't be surprised if we see a similar move around ASB.

BRs.Ganso
12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPBwFgh7YyY

here's a good mix with Tiago's offense moves.

cutewizard
12-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Why is everybody so quick to forget about the injury? How many times have we seen one of the Spurs players get injured, and Pop wouldn't allow them to come back as quickly as they wanted to? And when he did let them come back, he wouldn't let them have the minutes they wanted right away?

I talked about this when the injury was first reported, but I'll repeat it. A friend of mine had a plantaris injury, and his orthopedist told him, "It's never just the plantaris." It's a small muscle that doesn't do much, but from what I understand that is why it is not a common injury. And a lot of the time it comes along with a small ACL tear. And when athletes try to come back too quickly from the plantaris, they often wind up injuring the ACL much worse.

Splitter's injury is only 2 months old. Looking at his minutes, it's not hard for me to believe that Pop could be watching his minutes closely, and bringing him along slowly. (Which would be the ideal way to bring someone back with a potential ACL problem.) In the few games where Pop has put Splitter in for extended minutes, he has held him to few or no minutes in the next game. I don't think it's a punishment, and I don't think Pop is stupid. What else is left?

I think the Spurs have learned a lot about injuries that are caused by repeated stress or trauma. And if they could do things over again, I bet they would have held Tim out of more games. This year they have the luxury of being 16-3, with Splitter playing short minutes. How much better could they have been, up to now?

Personally, I don't think Pop will give him a lot of minutes until that injury is at least 90 days old. I wouldn't. It's early in the season, and early in Splitter's career. What's the rush?

Thanks for this post man. you enlightened us. this must be the reason

bishopospurs
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Great posts!! One of the best I have seen concerning Tiago on these baords. I think Tiago will be a great spur. Looking at Scola's first year at 27 years old, he averaged 10.3 points and 6.4 boards a game playing in all 82 games averaging 24.7 minutes a night.

Ginobili only played in 69 games coming into the league at age 25. Manu averaged 7.6 points and an even 2 assists a night while playing 20.7 minutes a night. The thing that is amazing about Manu is his steals per game stayed around the 1.5 steals his entire career. Obviously Manu came with his defense ready to go.

Splitter started the season injured and is putting up great numbers with the limited time he has had to go on. I feel like people expect him to play in all 82 games starting 81 of them, play 36.6 minutes a night, average 24.3 points, 12 boards, 3.9 blocks, and 1.7 steals per game. Let's be honest, we got lucky to witness that happen once at the center position.

Spurs Brazil
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Great post Harlem

I think Tiago is doing fine, he missed the whole training camp because of injury so he'll have more difficult getting playing time now. But I believe he'll be in rotation around the All Star Game

quentin_compson
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Great stat work, Harlem. I enjoyed reading this very much. :tu

On defense, Splitter easily has been the most impressive Spurs big not named Tim Duncan in quite some time. He has the length and the skills to potentially hold his own against most NBA bigs.
His offense has been very shaky, but I'm not really surprised about that. As others have already mentioned, he struggles to create his own shot and his shots lack confidence. Also, although moving his feet very well, he has problems getting into a good position.
I really, really hope Pop will play him more, the sooner the better.

MannyIsGod
12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Horrible Post, Harlem.

Ok I just wanted to be different. Great work.

nkdlunch
12-07-2010, 03:53 PM
Tiago is doing fine so far. Anybody saying otherwise was delusional to start with.

DBMethos
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Tiago the Savior isn't doing so great. Tiago the Basketball Player with Realistic Expectations is coming along nicely.

angelbelow
12-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Although his B2B has yielded poor results, hes shown that hes got some moves, esp against the shorter/weaker defenders. That tells me that he at least has a decent feel for b2b type moves. With that said, hes still got room to grow in that area. Splitter has no doubt been the most impressive on PnR situation and a few offense rebounding situations.

The more he plays I think the more hes going to impress.. he has a little bit of that Ginobili swagger and hes obviously got great BBIQ and game sense, these type of players usually turn out to be pretty special.

DMC
12-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Stats are strange creatures: They can show you something different based on just a tad bit more information.

For example: When Tiago is on the floor, are the opponent's starters on the floor? How much is garbage time when no one is defending the pick and roll?

These kind of things make all the difference in the world. Not saying anything about Tiago, but those stats need to be viewed in their proper context.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Great OP, HarlemHeat. :toast

I think the criticism of Splitter so far seen on the board is a symptom of a much broader societal problem - the instant gratification complex. Fuck that shit. The guy has been playing fine and is looking better every game, all the while dealing with bullshit rookie calls.

ChuckD
12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Simple truth of the matter is the refs aren't going to respect a guy playing sporadic minutes behind Matt Bonner. The longer Splitter stays out of Pop's rotation, the less familarity and respect he will recieve from nba refs.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Matt Bonner will continue to get all kinds of attention for his hot shooting games against the leagues' scrub teams and yet still won't be able to buy a call come playoff time. Again, just a a simple truth of the matter.

Simple truth of the matter is that Tiago sabotages his own respect when his first instinct when he sees a driving guard is to stand straight up with his arms upraised and try to draw a charge. That's a bitch move by a big facing up a guard.

wildbill2u
12-11-2010, 09:13 PM
If Splitter was acknowledged as the best big man in Europe--and the game over there is acknowledged to be more physical than the wussy NBA these days--then I think Tiago will be able to hold his own in the paint once he learns how the refs call the game.

From what I've seen he has picked up some offensive fouls for being too physical against the defender.

DrSteffo
12-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Great OP, HarlemHeat. :toast

I think the criticism of Splitter so far seen on the board is a symptom of a much broader societal problem - the instant gratification complex. Fuck that shit. The guy has been playing fine and is looking better every game, all the while dealing with bullshit rookie calls.

This. I don't understand the recent bitching about Splitter at all. I guess some people here just need to find something negative to bitch about regardless of us being 19-3, playing great and having more depth than ever. Splitter has played very well in limited minutes, especially on D.

Russ
12-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Euro bigmen usually excel on offense and struggle with D.

If Splitter is holding up on D, and people worry about his O -- that's best case scenario.

Splitter has great offensive skills and will adjust his game. Pop just doesn't want him to become a sloppy offensive player so he will make us all (Splitter included) wait.

The sky is the limit.

TJastal
12-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Simple truth of the matter is that Tiago sabotages his own respect when his first instinct when he sees a driving guard is to stand straight up with his arms upraised and try to draw a charge. That's a bitch move by a big facing up a guard.

Seems to be working for Big Baby Davis. :hat

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Seems to be working for Big Baby Davis. :hat

We're not a league-beloved franchise like Boston. There are two sets of rules/calls: BOS/LAL and everyone else.

TJastal
12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
We're not a league-beloved franchise like Boston. There are two sets of rules/calls: BOS/LAL and everyone else.

You mean BOS/LA/Miami and everyone else. Soon to be BOS/LA/Miami/NY in a few years.

Chomag
12-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Does this guy play on the Spurs?

TDMVPDPOY
12-12-2010, 05:41 PM
up 17 with 4mins to play in the 4th

duncan was bench

still no signs off splitter

so pop puts in duncan

still 17pt lead...

FAIL

rascal
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
This. I don't understand the recent bitching about Splitter at all. I guess some people here just need to find something negative to bitch about regardless of us being 19-3, playing great and having more depth than ever. Splitter has played very well in limited minutes, especially on D.

19-3 does not mean there are no needs of improvement and the team is championship bound.

Until the Spurs can prove they can get an upper hand on the Lakers the early impressive start is nothing more than that.

ducks
12-12-2010, 05:52 PM
yeah because lakers are just blowing everyone away right
and gasol is already gased

spurs1990
12-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Splitter is pretty much a not good nba player.

Hoops Czar
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Splitter is pretty much a not good nba player.

He's playing like his contract...CHEAP!

jag
12-12-2010, 06:41 PM
He's playing like his contract...CHEAP!

We get it, you don't like Splitter.

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree with most of that.

I don't think the Spurs' coaches think in terms of bitch moves. The team will benefit more if Tiago challenges at the rim though instead of doing what any guard on the floor could do, which is to act like a barrier instead of a force. The Spurs need a force down low, not just a barrier.

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't believe anyone in the NBA is playing for cheap. 1 million a year isn't cheap. I would play for less than half that.

Hoops Czar
12-12-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't believe anyone in the NBA is playing for cheap. 1 million a year isn't cheap. I would play for less than half that.

Considering what an average NBA player pockets, one million dollars for a Euroleague mvp touted as being Duncan's successor is dirt cheap.

On the other hand, it is quite expensive for a garbage time replacement who struggles to grasp the concept "ball in hoop".

DMC
12-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Even in his previous job, Tiago only averaged about 10pts a game. He's never been a big scorer. I think he averaged 12 charges though.

mystargtr34
12-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Even in his previous job, Tiago only averaged about 10pts a game. He's never been a big scorer. I think he averaged 12 charges though.

Nah he has always been a really good offensive player ... His per 40 minue scoring numbers in the ACB and Euroleague since he turned 22

24.9 PPG
20.7 PPG
22.7 PPG
21.4 PPG
22.4 PPG
19.5 PPG

His offensive game is alot better than ppl are giving him credit for .. As Harlem pointed out. I expect his post numbers to improve also .. Part of the adjustment was adjusting to the size and strength of defenders in the league .. It's hard to do that and get any rythim when ur playing 5 minutes a night with Chris Quinn as your point guard.

smrattler
12-12-2010, 07:57 PM
I think the phrase "numbers don't lie" only applies to scoreboard.

Otherwise, they very well can be misleading.

My eyes tell me this guy can play. If he finds his confidence this season, we are going to be a much better team and matchup-wise a real-deal contender.

DMC
12-12-2010, 08:03 PM
I was actually referring to his FIBA numbers when I said "previous job". He doesn't dominate when playing against solid teams. I suppose 20pts a game is higher for Euro league than it would be for the NBA where 30ppg is the scoring title mark it seems.

rascal
12-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Nah he has always been a really good offensive player ... His per 40 minue scoring numbers in the ACB and Euroleague since he turned 22

24.9 PPG
20.7 PPG
22.7 PPG
21.4 PPG
22.4 PPG
19.5 PPG

His offensive game is alot better than ppl are giving him credit for .. As Harlem pointed out. I expect his post numbers to improve also .. Part of the adjustment was adjusting to the size and strength of defenders in the league .. It's hard to do that and get any rythim when ur playing 5 minutes a night with Chris Quinn as your point guard.

Per 40 minute scoring average will be higher for every player in the league even scrub players can have good looking Per 40 minute scoring averages, so those numbers are misleading.

Spurs Brazil
12-14-2010, 03:48 PM
There are some people here in Brazilian media there are complaining about Tiago lack of minutes. One of them is Fabio Sormani and he posted on his blog he had a long conversation with Tiago spokesman Marcelo Maffia

He said Maffia told it's everything going as planned and remembered Manu playing time as a rookie was also growing month after month. He said Tiago would like to play more but he understand the situation and know his opportunity will be there in the future

Maffia said Pop is a great person and everybody likes him. Said he saw Pop at a restaurant once and after a few minutes the waiter came to his table and said: Here's a wine, courtesy from Mr Popovich. He couldn't believe, said it was a great and expensive wine, then latter he went to paid the bill and they said Pop had pay.

Here the link and article in Portuguese:

http://colunistas.ig.com.br/fabiosormani/

Bati um longo papo por telefone esta manhã com Marcelo Maffia. Maffia, pra quem não sabe, é assessor de imprensa de Tiago Splitter.

Fui atrás do jundiaiense porque estou intrigado — como muitos de vocês — com a situação do catarinense no time texano. Mas Maffia tranquilizou-me.

“Não se preocupe, Sormani, está tudo sendo feito de acordo com o que foi projetado para o Tiago”, afirmou Maffia. “Pop é assim mesmo. Foi assim com todos os jogadores que chegaram à franquia. Foi assim com Ginobili também, você não se lembra?”.

Maffia tem uma grande admiração por Pop. Contou-me ele que certa vez, em um restaurante de San Antonio, estava jantando e avistou o treinador. Trocaram acenos. De repente, chegou uma garrafa do melhor vinho da casa à mesa de Maffia. “Cortesia do Sr. Popovich”, disse o garçom. “Numa outra vez, quando fui pagar a conta, Pop já tinha pagado tudo”, disse Maffia.

Pop é assim, garantiu-me o assessor de imprensa de Tiago. Todos gostam muito dele. “Pop tem formação militar, é linha dura, sabe se impor. Mas é um doce de pessoa”, garantiu.

Tiago está afinado com o projeto, seguiu falando-me, ao telefone. Mas ele não gostaria de estar jogando mais?, perguntei a ele. “Sim, gostaria, mas ele sabe que é assim mesmo”, respondeu.

E o restante de nosso colóquio seguiu nesta direção, com Maffia garantindo-me que tudo que Pop faz é pelo bem do jogador.

Então, como diz meu amigo Freddy Jr., vamos aguardar.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Excellent post HHeat! :tu

I think he'll be a rotation necessity if the Spurs are to get past the Lakers and probably against the Mavs, too. I have high hopes for him.

mystargtr34
12-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Per 40 minute scoring average will be higher for every player in the league even scrub players can have good looking Per 40 minute scoring averages, so those numbers are misleading.

Nah..not at all really. Nothing wrong with extrapolating to 40 minute numbers if the guy is playing 30 minutes a night .. Especially if it's due to the games being shorter as is the case in Europe.

You might have a point if a guy is playing 10 minutes a night.

EricD
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
8GhBi6WTVB4

FTW..

Nice Thread... Harlem Heat Baby :toast

Solid D
12-15-2010, 12:45 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_josh_mcroberts.jpg http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_tiago_splitter.jpg
Josh McRoberts................................Tiago Splitter
Indiana........................................... San Antonio
Position: Forward..............................Position: Forward/Center
Height: 6-10 Weight: 240..................Height: 6-11 Weight: 240
College: Duke...................................From: Blumenau, Brazil
Player file | Team stats......................Player file | Team stats

2010-11 Statistics............................2010-11 Statistics
PPG 6.9...........................................PPG 4.5
RPG 6.0...........................................RPG 2.5
APG 2.3...........................................APG 0.5
SPG 0.9...........................................SPG 0.4
BPG 1.1...........................................BPG 0.3
FG% 0.476.......................................FG% 0.508
FT% 0.656.......................................FT% 0.591
3P% 0.405.......................................3P% 0.000
MPG 23.2.........................................MPG 11.7

For Bruno :smokin

TJastal
12-15-2010, 01:20 AM
Guess I'll have to catch a pacer game, this McRoberts kid looks pretty good by the numbers.

UnWantedTheory
12-15-2010, 06:43 AM
^ Decent,...but is averaging 12 more MPG than TSplit. It is coming time to where even I will question Splitters PT maybe....Hopefully he develops into more of a factor within the next 20 games or so. Either way we are doing well now & I hope that continues. Just have to trust our players & Pop. I assume they know what they are doing.

spurs50_
12-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Have to wonder how many pts splitter would avg. with duncan"s minutes, since Splitter, like Scola, can't play next to duncan.

pad300
12-15-2010, 11:03 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_josh_mcroberts.jpg http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/media/act_tiago_splitter.jpg
Josh McRoberts................................Tiago Splitter
Indiana........................................... San Antonio
Position: Forward..............................Position: Forward/Center
Height: 6-10 Weight: 240..................Height: 6-11 Weight: 240
College: Duke...................................From: Blumenau, Brazil
Player file | Team stats......................Player file | Team stats

2010-11 Statistics............................2010-11 Statistics
PPG 6.9...........................................PPG 4.5
RPG 6.0...........................................RPG 2.5
APG 2.3...........................................APG 0.5
SPG 0.9...........................................SPG 0.4
BPG 1.1...........................................BPG 0.3
FG% 0.476.......................................FG% 0.508
FT% 0.656.......................................FT% 0.591
3P% 0.405.......................................3P% 0.000
MPG 23.2.........................................MPG 11.7

For Bruno :smokin

Ya know, if we are looking for future Bonner replacements, there's a number there that really sticks out. 17 of 42 (which is twice as many 3's as he took all last year). He's currently on the minimum. I'd certainly consider him as a cheap big to pick up in the offseason. The LLE would probably do it, and I think he might fit in pretty well.

Russ
12-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Ya know, if we are looking for future Bonner replacements, there's a number there that really sticks out.

"Bonner replacement." That's a phrase I never expected to hear. :king

ChumpDumper
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
lol Pacers.

kaji157
12-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Have to wonder how many pts splitter would avg. with duncan"s minutes, since Splitter, like Scola, can't play next to duncan.

LOL that was a good one. Splitter will have his chance.
I just hope it´s soon enough so that he´s able to play by playoff time, when Bonner starts whooting 20% from 3.

EricD
12-15-2010, 01:12 PM
lol Pacers.

lol Toros

Solid D
12-15-2010, 07:28 PM
lol Pacers.

Inside joke with Bruno....or maybe, not so inside.

pad300
12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
"Bonner replacement." That's a phrase I never expected to hear. :king

"Horry replacement" is a not happening.

but I would love to replace & upgrade Bonner. McRoberts is not the shooter Bonner is, but he looks decent so far this year. He has been improving significantly over his time in the NBA. He is much more atheltic, and has much better presence on the floor. He's nowhere near the defensive liability. Also, McRoberts is also a really decent and willing passer. His career ast% is 13.3 (by comparison, TD is 16.7% career, Bonner at 6.3%, Dyess at 8.1%, Horry retired at 12.8%...).