PDA

View Full Version : Mask of zero: Brown loses his moment

Kori Ellis
05-26-2005, 01:02 AM
Buck Harvey: Mask of zero: Brown loses his moment
Web Posted: 05/26/2005 12:00 AM CDT

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA052605.1C.COL.BKNharvey.2ae301800.html

San Antonio Express-News

Joe Johnson will wear a mask Saturday, assuming he's comfortable with it, and then he can get back to the business of basketball. The Suns need him to chase Tony Parker.

But no matter what happens this weekend, the business of basketball will also resume in the offseason. By then Johnson's eye socket will have healed, and his price will be healthy, too; he's already done enough to earn a sizeable contract worth perhaps $50 million.

That's a reason the Suns have been cautious to push Johnson back on the floor. Future negotiations are at stake.

The same can't be said for Devin Brown. This is his chance to cash in, too, with his own free-agent summer coming, and this series was supposed to be His Time.

Instead, he sits unable to prove himself, with the kind of injury that frightens everyone, with the kind of injury that clear plastic and Velcro can't protect.

Back to the mask — couldn't Brown use one to hide the frustration?

As it is, Brown appears upbeat, confident that his herniated disc will go away. He still can't explode off his right leg, but doctors have assured him he will be fine in the long term. He chooses to believe them.

Scared about any of it?

"Nah," he says. "I'll be fine."

If he's in denial, it's out of habit. He was in denial, too, when NBA teams told him he wasn't worth drafting.

Brown stayed diligent, playing his way through the developmental league, and the work culminated this season. He put up some high-scoring games, including a stretch of 17 where he was in double figures in 10.

But it might have been a January night in Phoenix that outlined the promise. Then he spread his long arms and played some power forward in the Spurs' small lineups. He defended, threw in a 3-pointer and generally proved he belonged.

Wasn't he a perfect piece to plug in against the Suns?

But then came an afternoon in Detroit. Tim Duncan collapsed with a sprained ankle, and Brown felt something odd in his back, too. The next night, in New York, pain shot down Brown's leg for the first time, even as he was on his way to 22 points.

The injured list followed, as did rehab and serious concern. Brown had never been through anything like this, so he kept pushing the coaches to play him even when he couldn't push off his right leg.

He showed little improvement through the end of the season. But when it came time to set the playoff roster, Gregg Popovich still gambled on Brown.

Why? The long playoff schedule gave Brown time to heal, and Popovich wanted Brown later against the Suns.

Because of Johnson's absence, the Spurs haven't missed Brown thus far in the series. The Suns have had to go big, playing into the more traditional Spurs lineups.

And then there's Brent Barry. Hasn't his resurgence changed everything?

But if the Brown of midseason had been around the past month, Barry would likely have lost minutes. When Barry struggled as he did in Seattle, Brown might have taken them all.

So what was possible? Could Brown have cemented himself as the sixth man, carving out a niche on a contender, creating value for the summer market?

Here's a guess what Brown could have been worth: At least a three-year deal worth about $9million.

Now everything is in question, including Brown's golf addiction. He lives for a weekend at La Cantera, or even Doral, but he says he hasn't swung a club in 21/2 months.

He instead tries to simulate NBA action with 3-on-3 games, but it's not the same. That's why the Spurs coaches think he could still get on the floor, but maybe for only four or five minutes at a time.

If he finishes the season this way, how many teams will risk a contract on him? Brown's best offer might be another one-year deal from the Spurs.

The Spurs can't complain. The Sonics lost Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic, and the Suns played without Johnson, a key starter, for the first two games of this series.

But Brown has reason to question fate. The local kid who made good will lose money, as well as the big-stage chance he was made for.

Nothing can shield him from that.

TDMVPDPOY
05-26-2005, 03:03 AM
JJ - the man in the plastic mask?, zorro?....give him any nickname

spurs should do what the knicks did to the heat when zo has a mask keep on playin physical touchin the face...

xcoriate
05-26-2005, 06:22 AM
brown is to slow to defend wade well. Doesn't move his feet well enough IMO

Fouled Out
05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
I would still keep Brown, but next year we will get a little less, Hey it is good to take less and still be with a winning team The Spurs!!!

xcoriate
05-26-2005, 06:35 AM
I dont think its possible for us to give him less than what hes on under the current CBA.

Hes not earning much at all.

Personally I think he should be traded for a 3

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM
we will need brown for the finals....against wade.

You mean Rip?

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 08:05 AM
The sooner you all realize Devin Brown won't contribute to this playoff run, the better off you're gonna be.

MannyIsGod
05-26-2005, 09:45 AM
The sooner you all realize Devin Brown won't contribute to this playoff run, the better off you're gonna be.
Exactly. It's become painfully obvious that Brown is done as a real contributer this year. It's a damn shame, too.

mattyc
05-26-2005, 10:03 AM
As it is, Brown appears upbeat, confident that his herniated disc will go away. He still can't explode off his right leg, but doctors have assured him he will be fine in the long term. He chooses to believe them.

Believe.

TMSKILZ
05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
DBrown was a huge loss for us. We've been fortunate to be getting by without his contribution off the bench.

GoSpurs21
05-26-2005, 11:45 AM
The sooner you all realize Devin Brown won't contribute to this playoff run, the better off you're gonna be.please explain to me, how I would be better off NOT having hope that Brown will contribute sometime during these playoffs

I dont believe giving up hope makes anyone better off

T Park
05-26-2005, 11:52 AM
its false hope.

But be blind to it.

I said when he got hurt hes done for the year, and this article just goes on to prove it.

Obviously, maybe LJ3 might have been a little more effective than Devin Brown.

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2005, 12:09 PM
it's a damn shame. I doubt we'll see much of brown the rest of this season. But I really hope he doesn't get screwed into obscurity during the off season.

:depressed

Fouled Out
05-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Brown is another charge of energy the Spurs used during the season and he was on fire during. It is just bad timing his back is acting up. I am still for brown he is young and does provide a spark from time to time.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 01:42 PM
GOSpurs -

Look at it this way - if you accept the fact he's not coming back, it won't suck as much when he doesn't.

And if he does, Santa apparently decided to come visit the Spurs in June.

The people who are holding out hope for his return in the playoffs this year obviously have never had a back injury or known someone who has.

Supergirl
05-26-2005, 03:16 PM
I don't quite understand this. Pop put him on the playoff roster saying that it was worth it if he could even contribute in later rounds. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get playing tim eventually.

Is there any exception to the playoff roster rules allowing Pop to sub Marks if Brown really can't go?

rwb
05-26-2005, 07:35 PM
As a back injury victim myself, I honestly can't see Devin ever being able to fully come back. He may get better, but the problem will return again and again. When I heard about his injury my immediate thought was how bad I felt for him that his promising career was over. I don't want that to be true, but once your back's hurt it's never going to be 100% again. Andre Agassi is finding that out now, too, and it's just such a shame for Devon.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I don't quite understand this. Pop put him on the playoff roster saying that it was worth it if he could even contribute in later rounds.

Haven't you watched him play? In his limited minutes it's clear that 1. he's still hurting and 2. he can't guard anybody in that condition.

And knowing guys who have played college hoops who developed back problems, Devin will probably never reach his full potential, unfortunately.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Yeah, TMac looks like crap all the time.

You just never know with back problems, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

boutons
05-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't have the impression that he's in pain, which I think would keep him of the court completely.

Pop said Devin's atrophied leg hasn't recovered sufficient strength.

ducks
05-26-2005, 10:55 PM
this is why I was not sure I would have put him on the playoff roster
had the spur not done that though he might be harder to resign if spurs want him back

I think the spurs do not if they can get big dog

team-work
05-27-2005, 09:41 PM

As it turns out, Brown still haven't regained full strength in his Rt leg. Does it mean he can't do a driving dunk, an alley-oop dunk, while he can shoot a 3, do layups as we have seen in his limited minutes in the Playoffs. Will a 3rd steroid injection help? Probably they think it's useless, otherwise it has been done long ago.

Hope he can get healthier to have breakthrough performance in the postseason.

Sense
05-27-2005, 09:45 PM
this is why I was not sure I would have put him on the playoff roster
had the spur not done that though he might be harder to resign if spurs want him back

I think the spurs do not if they can get big dog

I don't see Big Dog in the Spurs future..

I even think he might consider retirement after his mother's death... Don't think I've seen him happy with the Spurs...he's just like Ward... I think he likes big cities.