PDA

View Full Version : Sloan on Heat's superpower trio — 'I guess you have to go for the money'

duncan228
12-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Sloan on Heat's superpower trio — 'I guess you have to go for the money' (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/50825457-62/guys-level-stick-team.html.csp)
Brian T. Smith
Salt Lake Tribune

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan discussed Tuesday the Miami Heat's LeBron James, Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh playing for the same team.

Whether it's good or bad that the trio joined up last summer: "People love excitement. They love drama and all that. I'm sure that people don't like it and there's people that thinks that it's terrific. I don't know. It's hard for me to say, because I haven't been in that situation."

What it says about the state of modern players: "The way I was brought up and the way I played, that's kind of what I thought. You stick together even though things aren't good. That's kind of like life: We don't always get what we want, and you have to stick to it. Those are great lessons. Although, there's so much money involved now I guess you have to go for the money. I never wanted to be traded when I was in Chicago. I never wanted to be fired when I was in Chicago. [Laughs] Those things happen. I've always been taught to stick it out when things are tough and that sort of thing. But I don't know who's right and wrong. You can argue that until the cows come home.

James, Wade and Chris Bosh joining up: "I'm not sure a lot of those [old] guys would have done that. I think everybody kind of had their area to work in and felt comfortable trying to prove they could win where they were. And Jerry West, he never made a championship trophy for a long time. They added a couple of more guys, Wilt, a couple more guys to their team that made them very good. But I don't think I would have seen him wonder, say 'Do I have to go play with another team?'

I think it's an individual thing. You're usually talking about guys that are pretty competitive, whoever they are, whoever it would be. Jabbar he left and went to L.A., whenever he was playing up in Milwaukee. I don't know how it actually all works out. It's hard to say what guys have got inside them. It's sort of a different situation. I did notice when I was with the Olympic team there's always — whatever level you are playing basketball, whether it's this level, grade school level, high school level, college level or pro level — somebody will take the top spot. It's always been interesting to me to watch it. Some guys will accept being down here. Some guys will accept other areas, to try to work to get to the top spot. In a short period of time, those things usually stick out."

poop
12-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Sloan owns these hollow-stat tools.

Jacob1983
12-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Best coach to never win coach of the year?

Pelicans78
12-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Sloan is a bitter old fart who could never lead a team to a championship despite having two Hall of Famers. Guy should have been out of the game years ago. He knows he's on his last legs right now. Hard to win a championship when a PG is the best player. Plus he can only recruit 2nd tier FAs like Okur or Boozer.

Jacob1983
12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Okur got a ring with the Pistons. Boozer is an all star PF.

Pelicans78
12-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Okur got a ring with the Pistons. Boozer is an all star PF.

Okur was a backup with Pistons. He started before Sheed came there. Boozer is an All-Star but not an elite PF. He has his flaws. A 2nd tier All-Star. Plus he was offered a crap load of money after one good season at Cleveland.

history2b
12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Sloan is a bitter old fart who could never lead a team to a championship despite having two Hall of Famers. Guy should have been out of the game years ago. He knows he's on his last legs right now. Hard to win a championship when a PG is the best player. Plus he can only recruit 2nd tier FAs like Okur or Boozer.

Sloan > Any Mavericks player or coach past or present

Pelicans78
12-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Sloan > Any Mavericks player or coach past or present

If it makes you sleep better at night.

KapitanTutan
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
lol mormon team

bitch should just focus on implementing come from behind wins with his mediocre team

history2b
12-07-2010, 09:32 PM
If it makes you sleep better at night.

Not a Jazz fan so it really doesn't do anything for me.

I was just stating a fact.

lefty
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Wasnt Jabbar traded to L.A ?

Pelicans78
12-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Wasnt Jabbar traded to L.A ?

He wanted out of Milwaukee. He wanted to go to New York where he was from, but was ok with LA too. He pretty much forced a trade.

lefty
12-07-2010, 10:40 PM
He wanted out of Milwaukee. He wanted to go to New York where he was from, but was ok with LA too. He pretty much forced a trade.

Ah, ok
Thanks

baseline bum
12-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Um, the Lakers won 5. The Pistons two. Actually, count the third Pistons trophy too.

ducks
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM

he took them to the finals and ran into a fellow called mj and scottie pippen
that bulls team was stacked

Cry Havoc
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
What it says about the state of modern players: "The way I was brought up and the way I played, that's kind of what I thought. You stick together even though things aren't good. That's kind of like life: We don't always get what we want, and you have to stick to it. Those are great lessons. Although, there's so much money involved now I guess you have to go for the money. I never wanted to be traded when I was in Chicago. I never wanted to be fired when I was in Chicago. [Laughs] Those things happen. I've always been taught to stick it out when things are tough and that sort of thing. But I don't know who's right and wrong. You can argue that until the cows come home.

This is total bullshit.

Players today are bought and sold like cattle. If you're a good player and the trading deadline is near, and your team isn't in contention, you have a huge chance of being dealt. Don't blame players for using the same system that has more roster turnover now than in the history of the league. The same thing is happening in baseball and football. If players stuck through things when they were bad, we wouldn't have RJ, the Lakers wouldn't have Pau, the Celtics 3rd best player would probably be Tony Allen, and the Mavs would still be running Devin Harris at point.

If there's no team loyalty coming from management anymore, why should the individual players care about it? It's always been a business, but recently players might as well have "CLEARANCE! LOW LOW PRICE!" stapled to the side of their head on a neon green sign when teams are looking to cut costs.

icem
12-08-2010, 12:37 AM
sloan is only still coaching because he doesnt have a title. he will die coaching, as well as ringless.

BRHornet45
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
sons I have a serious question that needs a serious answer ... has Sloan converted to Mormonism since he has lived in Utah over the last 23 years?

The TroutBum
12-08-2010, 09:37 AM
No, but he married one I believe.

lefty
12-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Jerry Sloan has Erik Spoelstra’s back (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/09/jerry-sloan-has-erik-spoelstra%e2%80%99s-back/)

Kurt Helin (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/author/kurthelin/)
Dec 9, 2010, 1:49 PM EST

2 Comments (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/09/jerry-sloan-has-erik-spoelstra%e2%80%99s-back/#comments)

http://nbcprobasketballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/lebrospo.jpg?w=320 Just a couple weeks ago there was everything but a countdown clock for when Pat Riley was going to come down from on high (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/29/miami-heat-players-frustrated-with-spoelstra-riley%e2%80%99s-shadow-looms/) and tell Erik Spoelstra to go spend more time with his family. Or, go get a wife and family to spend time with. Either way, get out.
Now, six wins later (and a quality one against the Jazz), Spoelstra is back to being a boy genius.
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said all the talk around Spoelstra was unfair and, um, organic fertilizer. The Palm Beach Post has the quote (http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/heatzone/2010/12/08/sloan-praises-spoelstra-sad-to-have-to-listen-to-all-the-bs/) (from before the game and the Heat won):

“They execute very well, what they’re trying to do,” Sloan said. “Defensively, they’re very very sound and strong. I think he does a terrific job for a young coach or an old coach either, it doesn’t make any difference. I think he’s done a great job. It’s sad to have to listen to all the B.S. about this and that with his coaching. He just doesn’t have a frame of reference, and that’s what people get anxious about. Because a guy hasn’t won three or four championships, or done something like that, he doesn’t get as long as he should. But that’s part of this business, you have to know it when you get into it, because it can be short-lived.”