PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter understandably a bit frustrated

nbaman99
12-07-2010, 10:01 PM
When Tiago Splitter joined the Spurs in the off-season, he was touted as one of the summer’s most subtle and influential additions. He didn’t have the price tag nor the talent of LeBron James, Amar’e Stoudemire, or Carlos Boozer, but his position and specific skill set made him a perfect fit for San Antonio.

Only things between Splitter the Spurs have progressed a bit more slowly than anticipated, and while San Antonio seems to have made the leap into true contention, their improvement has very little to do with their prized off-season addition. A training camp injury derailed Splitter’s integration into the famed Spurs system, and since then he’s struggled to find a stable place in the rotation.

Splitter has been a star in the Euroleague, in the Spanish ACB League, and in international play. With that kind of résumé, it’s not all that surprising that he’s finding it hard to adjust to life at the end of the Spurs’ bench. From Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express-News:

Though [Gregg] Popovich has been pleased with Splitter’s grasp of the Spurs’ system in a macro sense, the coach does not yet trust him with its finer details. “There are so many different things I might do during a game, and he’s not going to know exactly what he should be doing,” Popovich said. “That makes it tough for him and for us.” Popovich acknowledges Splitter is “in a position that’s got to be really frustrating.”

“He’s used to playing a lot of minutes and being a big part of what’s going on,” Popovich said. “That’s not happening for him right now, and I’m not in a position to give him 30 minutes to get him going. That’s not fair to him or to the whole group.”

Of all the adjustments the 6-foot-11 Splitter has had to make in relocating from Europe, learning to be a spectator has been the most difficult. He would have liked to have been a more meaningful participant in the Spurs’ 17-3 start. “I’m trying to fit in a team that is already made,” Splitter said. “Sometimes it’s tough for me. I just have to be patient.”

Luckily, Splitter seems to be taking a wise perspective on his endeavors with the Spurs, which is the best approach for all parties. There’s still plenty of time for Tiago to work himself into a comfort zone with Popovich, and by the end of the season, we may even see Splitter used as advertised. He’s plenty capable of providing quality minutes for San Antonio, and since his shortcomings thus far seem to have more to do with a lack of familiarity than a lack of skill, the Spurs are among the group of contenders that could only get better.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/07/tiago-splitter-understandably-a-bit-frustrated-with-his-lack-of-playing-time/

barbacoataco
12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
The Spurs will be using Splitter more and more as the season progresses. Since he has never played an 82 game season, maybe it is good to bring him along slowly. Manu played limited time in 2003 even though he was already a great player.

Spursmania
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Maybe Pop is giving him a taste of..."If you're going to be playing Euro ball in the summers and get hurt, you're not going to get much playing time mother fucker"
JK...:lol

ElNono
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
I thought he was ready to go... :rolleyes

4down
12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Maybe Pop is giving him a taste of..."If you're going to be playing Euro ball in the summers and get hurt, you're not going to get much playing time mother fucker"
JK...:lol

this hahahaha

Leonard Curse
12-07-2010, 10:38 PM
lmao man i knew it was only a matter of time for this kind of stuff to come out, hopefully tiago sticks with us and is patient (at least for spurs fans sake ). the only thing going for us right now is that were at the top of the nba food chain so that must feel good for splitter & give him assurance. im afraid if he came last year he too would be getting heavy minutes for dallas and playing great, (you guys watching the dallas game w/mahinmi?)

anyway its much easeir to be patient when your part of a(n) eliteorginization so i have hope. i still have my fingers crossed for a bonner injury so that pop has no choice. that sounds ignorant but pop is ignorant as well and very stubborn so i could care less what happens to bonner. when hes not playing we win ball games the man is not a vital piece to this club its an illusion that pop has succumbed to.

ChuckD
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
He needs to play stronger at the rim.

DesignatedT
12-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Actually some nice quotes from Pop. He's acknowledging the situation and shedding some light on it which is nice.

DPG21920
12-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Except he doesn't shed light on why he can't give Tiago minutes.

dbestpro
12-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah, its not fair to the group to put Splitter in when Bonner is 0-6, Blair is guarding a 7 footer, or when Duncan is playing a back to back. Not fair at all.

Ditty
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
he's a rookie, he and everyone needs too chill..ginobili wasn't amazing his rookie season and at times his 2nd season also..he put up a real good game when he was given minutes against the cavs even if they suck. He will get going ,and hope he can start knocking down some jump shots, and get better position in the post, he's not too great right now on dribbling, and getting in the post cause he has a bad habit of carrying the ball, and needs to get stronger also but that will come also. He was shooting some 3's pretty nice at halftime last game so I know he got some range...when he's open :). I'm patient he's not really needed right now, but would be nice too see alot of upside and pontential, which I do see.

duncan228
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Splitter, Blair learn value of patience (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/07/patience-a-virtue-for-splitter-blair/)
Jeff McDonald

...Splitter still stands to be a key piece of the puzzle going forward, but only in good time.

“It’s got to happen slowly, and we’ll see what’s required, as far as the team is concerned,” Popovich said. “That’s what I’ve got to look at.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/07/patience-a-virtue-for-splitter-blair/

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167716

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167696

EricB
12-07-2010, 11:24 PM

Never will.

Which is what always makes it funny when posters around here "Demand the media ask the tough questions"

DPG21920
12-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah :lol you just kind of get used to it.

peskypesky
12-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Splitter needs to chillax. i want him to get more minutes too, but you cannot argue with success.

Quasar
12-07-2010, 11:30 PM
Pop does unconventional things...

SJax starting over Manu is similar to Blair/Bonner over Splitter.

We remember Sjax fondly now for his clutchness, but many have forgotten his butter fingers and all his stupid TOs!

gospursgojas
12-07-2010, 11:30 PM

and I’m not in a position to give him 30 minutes to get him going. That’s not fair to him or to the whole group.”

All ya gotta do is read.

DPG21920
12-07-2010, 11:31 PM
All ya gotta do is read...

Where in there explains why he is not in a position to give him 30 minutes?

gospursgojas
12-07-2010, 11:36 PM
All ya gotta do is read...

Where in there explains why he is not in a position to give him 30 minutes?

Bc its not fair for him or the team.

DPG21920
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
:lol That doesn't say anything. If you understand that, kudos.

gospursgojas
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Splitter gets more mins: He'll foul out, suck more, get discouraged. Not fair to him.

Splitter gets more mins: He'll foul out, suck more, get discouraged. Not fair to the team.

Bender
12-07-2010, 11:45 PM
the coach does not yet trust him with its finer details. “There are so many different things I might do during a game, and he’s not going to know exactly what he should be doing,” Popovich said. “That makes it tough for him and for us.”
I guess this is why pop won't play him longer minutes...

ElNono
12-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Which is what always makes it funny when posters around here "Demand the media ask the tough questions"

Or when posters pretend to know what's the rationale behind Pop's decisions...

EricB
12-07-2010, 11:48 PM
in other words he doesn't understand the playbook nor the defensive schemes.

GASP!

EricB

I never pretend to know.

ducks
good
maybe he will work on his game this offseason

DPG21920
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM

GASP!

Except he is always almost in position on defense and is easily one of the best defenders on the team.

Blair doesn't understand the schemes and he starts :lol

NRHector
he's a rookie, he and everyone needs too chill..ginobili wasn't amazing his rookie season and at times his 2nd season also..he put up a real good game when he was given minutes against the cavs even if they suck. He will get going ,and hope he can start knocking down some jump shots, and get better position in the post, he's not too great right now on dribbling, and getting in the post cause he has a bad habit of carrying the ball, and needs to get stronger also but that will come also. He was shooting some 3's pretty nice at halftime last game so I know he got some range...when he's open :). I'm patient he's not really needed right now, but would be nice too see alot of upside and pontential, which I do see.tell that to Tim Duncan, you think Tim has time to get another ring next season or when Splitter's goes in to his 2nd season

mingus
EricB, what do your sources say about the situation?

ElNono
12-07-2010, 11:51 PM
I never pretend to know.

GASP!

Oxymoron?

SequSpur
12-08-2010, 12:05 AM
talented guys get minutes in the nba...

TJastal
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM

Like Yanny? :lol

awktalk
12-08-2010, 12:35 AM
talented guys get minutes in the nba...

Splitter will not get minutes until he puts on 30-40 LBs and develops a 15 foot jump shot. And that's not happening this season. He's a project.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Splitter will probably never put on that kind of weight until after he retires.

Frenzy
12-08-2010, 12:53 AM
Well better he get no minutes and spurs play awesome as opposed to they play Crapy and he still gets no minutes.

jjktkk
12-08-2010, 12:56 AM

Or when posters pretend they know more than Pop.

jjktkk
12-08-2010, 12:58 AM
Splitter will never put on that kind of weight until after he retires.

I disagree. Europe doesn't have Whataburger and Taco Cabana.

Budkin
12-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Hopefully once he's ready we trade him to the Grizz or Hornets.

DPG21920
12-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Splitter will never put on that kind of weight until after he retires.

Link? Or are you just making this up? How did you come to this conclusion? You'd have to be close to him to be able to say "never", no?

EricD
12-08-2010, 02:16 AM
Link? Or are you just making this up? How did you come to this conclusion? You'd have to be close to him to be able to say "never", no?

Because Dwayne Jones and Carldwell Johnson never have.

If the Toros never gained weight then you can suspect or assume Splitter won't either, according to ST's Chris Sheridan of the D-League.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Link? Or are you just making this up? How did you come to this conclusion? You'd have to be close to him to be able to say "never", no?It's my opinion. I don't think his frame would take that much weight without his becoming a slug.

I'll add the word "probably" to illustrate I am not close to him and could be wrong.

Fpoonsie
12-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Splitter will not get minutes until he puts on 30-40 LBs and develops a 15 foot jump shot. And that's not happening this season. He's a project.

Developing a mid-range game couldn't hurt, but I don't understand why you think he has to put on damn near 50 lbs. He's not Durant-skinny. He looks to have a pretty solid frame and weight ratio for his size.

DPG21920
12-08-2010, 02:24 AM
Thanks, I thought you were lying again. You should have just edited your post, now you just look angry and dumb for speaking in absloutes.

It's nice to have opinions though.

ChumpDumper
12-08-2010, 02:26 AM
Thanks, I thought you were lying again. You should have just edited your post, now you just look angry and dumb for speaking in absloutes.

It's nice to have opinions though.I did edit my post. An angry response would be stubbornly sticking to an untenable position, then acting like I never took that position in the first place. That would be transparently foolish.

Yes, it is nice to have opinions, no matter how much you (meaning you) want to dictate what others think.

Flux451
12-08-2010, 02:53 AM
I can tell he is a wise player. I like that he isn't getting into foul trouble like Mahimi. Definitely an upgrade. I think Splitter is getting used to the Spurs system and the NBa system at a decent pace. It's only a matter of time for him to gain endurance and a better perspective on his "new" nba game. I have a feeling he will be a clutch player in years to come.

I love this season. I keep telling my friends, I would have never thought the Spurs would be this good so quickly. It's clicking decently and its only the beginning.

G-Dawgg
12-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Splitter is a bust. He kinda sucks...just saying..

Bruno
12-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Spurs won't go far in the playoffs without Splitter playing a significant role. I hope Spurs staff isn't fooled by the 17-3 record and all the weaknesses this team has, especially on the defensive end. Splitter, if he pans out, could solve a lot of these weaknesses. However, I don't see how he could help if he doesn't play...

Spurs still have 62 games to play before the playoffs. That's way enough time to work with Tiago so I'm not panicking for the moment. However, Pop will have to start giving more playing time to Tiago soon or it will be too late. If Splitter stays in the doghouse the whole year, Spurs last remote hope to win a championship will be gone.

FREE TIAGO.

silk
12-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Free Tiago okay, but how ?

Pop seems to think it's not "fair" to give him playing time over Blair, Bonner and Dice because he knows less the system than them.

Seems to me, that Pop will only play Tiago if one of the above gets hurt or that if tiago suddenly get a better understanding of spurs playbook than the others.

The situation must seem unfair to Tiago, as Pop isn't letting him prove his value or isn't giving him fair enough chances. He mustn't have signed at that bargained price for that.

Moreover, I don't really like his body language and those of his teammates with him. I really don't see Pop changing his mind this year. He will stick to his principles, and play him even less in the play-offs, then, next year, he could be the starter, but we will have wasted one more chance at the championship and timmy will have one more year on him...

With Pop, you have to take the bad with the good, and the good still offset the bad. I like bonner off the bench and dice is solid. Blair should be demoted in favor of Splitter in the starting line-up but then, the situation would appear much more unfair for Blair (in pop's mind )

mystargtr34
12-08-2010, 06:49 AM
At the end of the day the goal for the Spurs is to win a championship.. the goal isnt to ensure 'the players who are accustomed to the system are getting the minutes'. Play the players who will bring what is required to win come playoff time and beat the biggest and best teams in the league. The only way the Spurs win the championship is if Tim Duncan has a legitimate big man next to him.

In 2003, sure Tim could probably carry a gimmick front line of Matt Bonner and DeJuan Blair to the championship - because lets be real - thats basically what that front line is at the moment.. having a starting 6'6" PF with limited offensive skills and an extrenely limited defensive impact.. and a no defense no rebounding 3 point gunner as the first big off the bench is setting yourself up for failure come playoff time. Both are obviously NBA caliber players in limited bench/situational roles, but if your saying that these guys are going to be the key big men behind Tim then the Spurs arent really a legitimate contender IMO.

Splitter really is the only answer IMO... if the goal is to win a championship ill go ahead and assume the coaching staff realise the team requires actual size and defense outside of a 35 year old Tim .... which means holding him out is just delaying the inevitable for no good reason.

Unless of course Pop sees Bonner and Blair as more important championship pieces (:lol).

G-Dawgg
12-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Spurs won't go far in the playoffs without Splitter playing a significant role. I hope Spurs staff isn't fooled by the 17-3 record and all the weaknesses this team has, especially on the defensive end. Splitter, if he pans out, could solve a lot of these weaknesses. However, I don't see how he could help if he doesn't play...

Spurs still have 62 games to play before the playoffs. That's way enough time to work with Tiago so I'm not panicking for the moment. However, Pop will have to start giving more playing time to Tiago soon or it will be too late. If Splitter stays in the doghouse the whole year, Spurs last remote hope to win a championship will be gone.

FREE TIAGO.

If we are relying on this dude to make it deep into the playoffs, then we're pretty screwed, because honestly he doesn't seem that impressive of a player. As a rookie, I'm way more impressed with G-train Neal...just saying.

Btw I think DeJuan and Splitter are having a competition to see who can suck more....

Capt Bringdown
12-08-2010, 07:40 AM
However, Pop will have to start giving more playing time to Tiago soon or it will be too late. If Splitter stays in the doghouse the whole year, Spurs last remote hope to win a championship will be gone.

Pop's stubbornly blockheaded "Hill isn't ready" comes to mind from a couple of years ago. We don't have the luxury of doing things as we've always done them. It's time to play jazz. Too bad Pop likes Lawrence Welk.

mathbzh
12-08-2010, 08:01 AM
I wonder if and when, Splitter will consider moving back to Europe.

BillMc
12-08-2010, 08:13 AM
1) Team with Complex System Acquires New Player
2) New Player Misses All of Training Camp
3) Message board Overreacts to His Limited Playing Time Early in the Season.

Shocking.

Fortunately, Tiago seems to be acting professionally about everything.

KuntryDude
12-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I would like to think that Pop is working w/ Tiago behind the scenes and saving him as a secret weapon just in case we happen to meet up against L.A. during playoffs. I can't forsee Bonner nor Blair getting significant minutes having to guard Gasol/Bynum.

silk
12-08-2010, 08:30 AM
You're dreaminn there's no secret weapon thing with pop

KuntryDude
12-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Evidently, he thinks of Bonner as a secret weapon.....

ElNono
12-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Or when posters pretend they know more than Pop.

How do you know Phil Jackson doesn't post here? :lol

ElNono
12-08-2010, 08:39 AM

FREE TIAGO.

It's just not fair to him or the group (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Agloco
12-08-2010, 09:42 AM

lefty
12-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Splitter is good on D, but he is an offensive liability

And since the Spurs are the new Suns, Splitter won't see much time unless he improves his O.

Trill Clinton
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM

Shocking.

powerful post

Chomag
12-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Splitter should start, and Blair, and Bonner used on the bench for situations. It just seems very difficult to find time for Splitter once every other big has played. It does seem to be just like a pipe dream however.

Agloco
12-08-2010, 10:52 AM
Splitter should start, and Blair, and Bonner used on the bench for situations. It just seems very difficult to find time for Splitter once every other big has played. It does seem to be just like a pipe dream however.

I think the issue is more about how many minutes he should be playing. I don't see Blair starting as a problem as long as Splitter is getting adequate time to develop.

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Shocking.

Brevity.

:tu

DPG21920
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Brevity.

:tu

I think most are giving Pop the benefit of the doubt with regards to Tiago. We simply know the importance of his role if this team is to reach it's full potential.

alucardthereaper
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
he just needs to be more aggressive and his teammates in the second lineup should give him the ball more often that would raise his confidence...he will get through he kicked serious in europe trust me i've seen him plenty...

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
I think most are giving Pop the benefit of the doubt with regards to Tiago. We simply know the importance of his role if this team is to reach it's full potential.

Count me very much in the pro-Tiago camp. I just find some of the near-hysterical whining and moaning over his playing time to be amusing.

Now there are plenty of people making a well-reasoned case for increased playing time, but neither I nor the poster I commended are commenting on those posters.

rjv
12-08-2010, 11:39 AM
one has to still wonder how much of this is talent when it comes to rookies. tim obviously never had to wait...or manu..or parker

but even at the talent level splitter is at..blair got more minutes as a rookie and anderson was getting more minutes (perhaps that is how much pop regards andersons talent though)

still, splitter is good enough and big enough to eventually get into the rotation on a regular basis. and i am sure pop knows he will need him against the bigger lineups of the league if we are to stand any chance at all.

Chomag
12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Meh, maybe it's just going to take the spurs getting beaten to death by a healthy lakers or Celtics before Pop decides he needs Splitter in the rotation to beat those type of big teams. Hopefully that will happen by the regular season and not in the playoffs when it's to late.

However I think i'm leaning towards the realization that Pop's plan for Splitter for this season is for him to just be Tim's back up.

it's me
12-08-2010, 11:53 AM
He just needs to start shooting 3s…. he can go 0-6 and Pop will be just fine with it right????..... as long as he “spread the floor” he’ll get playing time lol

ohmwrecker
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM

I think Pop knows it too. It seems like he wants to give Splitter some time, they just haven't reached that comfort level yet.

Why he has it with Bonner? . . . I have no idea.

it's me
12-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I think Pop knows it too. It seems like he wants to give Splitter some time, they just haven't reached that comfort level yet.

Why he has it with Bonner? . . . I have no idea.

He’s probably building a house for his grandchildren with all Bonner’s crunch time bricks.

jjktkk
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
How do you know Phil Jackson doesn't post here? :lol

Tjastal? :(

ploto
12-08-2010, 01:00 PM
The Spurs record does not mean that Pop is handling the situation correctly. They could have just as well won those games AND given Tiago time to play.

dbreiden83080
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
“He’s used to playing a lot of minutes and being a big part of what’s going on,” Popovich said. “That’s not happening for him right now, and I’m not in a position to give him 30 minutes to get him going. That’s not fair to him or to the whole group.”

Well how the hell is he supposed to grow into a valuable asset to you Pop if you don't go through some growing pains with him? Tony was out there as a 19 year old kid screwing up left and right but he kept getting the minutes..

dbestpro
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
The only offensive liability that Splitter might have is that he can't shoot the three. Otherwise, we have no idea what he can do on offense as they never run a play for him. The only outside shot that was an airball was an unexpected pass thrown his way in garbage time with 2 seconds left on the clock.

The end point is that we still do not know what Splitter is capable of and neither does Pop.

admiralsnackbar
12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
The Spurs record does not mean that Pop is handling the situation correctly. They could have just as well won those games AND given Tiago time to play.

I don't disagree, but there's room to speculate that Splitter is still working on conditioning and learning the system from the book with the coaches, whereas Blair is at the stage where he needs practical experience on the floor. While it's possible that we could still be winning games while bringing along two as-yet un-assimilated players logging heavy minutes, it seems more cautious -- perhaps foolishly so -- to incorporate one player at a time. One of the benefits of the long NBA season, perhaps.

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 01:32 PM
The Spurs record does not mean that Pop is handling the situation correctly. But it certainly is a very strong argument that he is.

They could have just as well won those games AND given Tiago time to play. We've all read the stories about Manu going to Pop and pushing for a fast start to pile up early season wins. While it's not impossible that they could have the same record while playing Splitter more, the opposite is more likely if you force-feed minutes to a rookie that missed all of training camp and all of the preseason.

TJastal
Splitter is good on D, but he is an offensive liability

And since the Spurs are the new Suns, Splitter won't see much time unless he improves his O.

He's not an offensive liability in pick and roll situations, which makes him perfect for the starting lineup w/ Ginobili. That's why he should be learning now as a starter and not chained to the bench.

I agree with Bruno here that now is the time to get him experience so he can be ready come playoff time. Furthurmore, Blair is tailor made as a bench player and fits perfectly with McDyess in the 2nd unit.

But Pop is too married to his precious ginger. Can't win without him.

Chomag

Well how the hell is he supposed to grow into a valuable asset to you Pop if you don't go through some growing pains with him? Tony was out there as a 19 year old kid screwing up left and right but he kept getting the minutes..

I understand what you mean. You can teach all you want but sometimes you have to just let your student go out there and learn. A player usualy learns his most on the court even when making mistakes. Sometimes you got to make a mistake here and there to learn from them right?

TJastal
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
I understand what you mean. You can teach all you want but sometimes you have to just let your student go out there and learn. A player usualy learns his most on they court even when making mistakes. Sometimes you go to make a mistake here and there to learn from them right?

+1

You learn most from your mistakes. By denying him PT now and the chance to grow from his mistakes, Pop is pretty much writing off Splitter for the playoffs. Which IMO will screw this team over come playoff time.

Chomag
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
He's not an offensive liability in pick and roll situations, which makes him perfect for the starting lineup w/ Ginobili. That's why he should be learning now as a starter and not chained to the bench.

I agree with Bruno here that now is the time to get him experience so he can be ready come playoff time. Furthurmore, Blair is tailor made as a bench player and fits perfectly with McDyess in the 2nd unit.

This is what I'm thinking. If pop wants to give Splitter limited minutes great, but he should be out there working with the big 3.

Why not at least play him the first quarter with the starting line up, and then decide if you wants to give him more minutes in the game? Splitter would be less inclined to be pressured at forcing his game like he has been doing latley, and just let the game come to him.

benefactor
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
The thing that worries me is that the type ball the Spurs are playing now can continue to amass wins in the regular season. If Manu keeps playing the minutes he is playing the Spurs can generate enough offense to beat most teams on most nights. Pop isn't going to shift this philosophy unless his hand is forced...which means that Bonner will continue to get minutes ahead of Splitter.

I'm willing to give those that are pleading for patience the benefit of the doubt, but in the back of mind I can't help but think that fools gold in all of these wins and the ones forthcoming will be exposed in playoffs. Bonner will continue to get rotation minutes and the Spurs will get destroyed in the paint while watching Bonner chuck up 0-fers. By the time Pop makes the adjustment to Splitter to try shore up the defense it will either be too late or Splitter will not play well...as is the case with any player who has not had enough minutes to be properly acclimated to their new teammates.

Man In Black
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Come hell or highwater...we'll know come AS Break if he's chained...or UNLEASHED.

TJastal
12-08-2010, 01:53 PM
This is what I'm thinking. If pop wants to give Splitter limited minutes great, but he should be out there working with the big 3.

Why not at least play him the first quarter with the starting line up, and then decide if you wants to give him more minutes in the game? Splitter would be less inclined to be pressured at forcing his game like he has been doing latley, and just let the game come to him.

Makes perfect sense. Why can't a supposed HOF coach cannot see the obvious?

Only thing I can think of why Pop won't do it is to preserve the minutes of his precious 3pt shooting ginger which he paid almost 4m/yr for and must use 15-20 minutes a game.

nkdlunch
12-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Why are ppl bitching at how many minutes Manu is playing???

realize these facts:
1. Spurs need the best record possible to get best seeding possible to have any kind of chance. In order to do that they need to play 110% every single game of the season.
2. These are Manu's last 2 years possibly, Spurs need to use Manu right now and stop "saving" him for postseason.
3. Regardless of how much they play, if any of our big 3 get injured in playoffs its game over. So why even worry about it?
4. Being tired in playoffs. The decision has been taken already that Spurs prefer being tired and a high seed than half tired and a low seed.

Extract every bit of juice out of Manu and roll the dice in April. That is what manu duncan and Pop have decided this past summer.

They realized the cake roads the Lakers have had to the NBA finals was mainly due to their great regular season record. That is what they want. The easiest road possible to the finals.

Sofaking
12-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Butthurt splitter fans :lol

lefty
12-08-2010, 02:20 PM

And that`s about it

He can't shoot the fucking ball

ElNono
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Count me very much in the pro-Tiago camp. I just find some of the near-hysterical whining and moaning over his playing time to be amusing.

http://www.maniacworld.com/stop-picking-on-britney.jpg

ElNono
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Tjastal? :(

No thank you. :lol

ElNono
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
We've all read the stories about Manu going to Pop and pushing for a fast start to pile up early season wins. While it's not impossible that they could have the same record while playing Splitter more, the opposite is more likely if you force-feed minutes to a rookie that missed all of training camp and all of the preseason.

We're about 1/4 into the season. The fast start already happened.
The question is what's going to be the barometer going forward to determine when to get the foot off the gas a little bit and buy the vets some rest (ourside of any injures that would force the issue). Is it going to be the west rankings? something else?

The other thing that might go against a faster Tiago development and will impact his evaluation is that he probably won't be getting minutes with vets such as Manu or Tim when his time comes around. It's clear that it's not the same to play a P&R with Hill than with Manu, and it's not the same the defend when you have another legitimate 7 footer next to you in Tim, as opposed to Blair.

So, some interesting things going forward to keep an eye on.

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
We're about 1/4 into the season. The fast start already happened.
The question is what's going to be the barometer going forward to determine when to get the foot off the gas a little bit and buy the vets some rest (ourside of any injures that would force the issue). Is it going to be the west rankings? something else?

The other thing that might go against a faster Tiago development and will impact his evaluation is that he probably won't be getting minutes with vets such as Manu or Tim when his time comes around. It's clear that it's not the same to play a P&R with Hill than with Manu, and it's not the same the defend when you have another legitimate 7 footer next to you in Tim, as opposed to Blair.

So, some interesting things going forward to keep an eye on.

First, my post was in response to someone who was looking backward rather than forward.

Looking forward, I definitely agree with the notion that Tiago probably won't be seeing much time with Tim. He's played 195 minutes this season and only 11 of those with Tim. That could change, but my best guess is that Tiago's spot in the rotation (assuming he gets a permanent role) will be as Tim's backup. With Tim playing 29 mpg, there is slot behind him for Tiago to fill.

IF he gets that role, he'll get plenty of minutes with Manu or Tony on the court to feed him in the pick and roll.

On the defensive end, chances are he'll get most of his minutes next to Bonner as I believe Dice will move to the starting line-up about halfway through the season. Someone has to lose minutes for Tiago to play and Blair seems like the most likely candidate to me. Barring injury or a prolonged shooting slump, I don't see Bonner sliding into that 5th big slot.

ploto
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM
But it certainly is a very strong argument that he is.

No- the Spurs success is almost exclusively due to a healthy Tim, Manu, and Tony, as well as an improved Jefferson.

Are you claiming that Bonner, Blair and Dice have been so spectacular as to be assured that Tiago could not have contributed similarly.

DesignatedT
12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
No- the Spurs success is almost exclusively due to a healthy Tim, Manu, and Tony, as well as an improved Jefferson.

Are you claiming that Bonner, Blair and Dice have been so spectacular as to be assured that Tiago could not have contributed similarly.

Bonner and Dice have been fantastic up to this point in the season. I don't expect this type of success to continue for the red rocket but he has definitely been a contributor in our early success. Dice is our 2nd best big man period. Blair is the question mark here, since he obviously plays better off the bench but he isn't playing many minutes to begin with. Splitter definitely needs to start seeing the floor more and I believe he will as the season progresses but so far all the other bigs have indeed stepped up to the challenge this season. I really do feel that Splitter is a perfect fit for our starting lineup (move blair back to the bench) but it's apparently going to take awhile for him to earn that role and we have no idea how he is doing behind the scenes.

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM

I said no such thing, but this is typical of the way you respond in these threads.

Let's review.

You said

The Spurs record does not mean that Pop is handling the situation correctly.

To which I responded:

But it certainly is a very strong argument that he is.

Which it is. Winning 85% of the team's games is a very strong argument in favor of the proposition that the coach is handling the situation correctly. Now if you'll stick to what I actually said instead of creating words for me, I'd be most appreciative.

ploto
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Winning 85% of the team's games is a very strong argument in favor of the proposition that the coach is handling the situation correctly.

How does winning mean the coach is handling every aspect of the team correctly? You can not use their record to claim support for every decision Pop has made as necessarily being the right one. He has made many errors and they have won despite them.

Just because they are winning does not mean Pop's starting Blair is the best possible handling of the big man situation.

FilSpursFan
12-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Give the kid a little time..

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-08-2010, 08:24 PM
He's still progressing. He's doing fine for a rookie.

senorglory
12-08-2010, 09:10 PM

He said awhile back that McD is playing to well to spare any minutes there... which is at least a partial answer.

Rummpd
12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
12 minutes so far tonight before the half already and 6 pts - CIA POP!

Update he looks fairly good in TWO halves tonight

SpursDynasty85
12-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Pop better continue to play him.

ducks
12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
oh what?

xellos88330
12-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I loved the fact that this time the rest of the team was actively looking for him. That was my main frustration. It looks like it has been solved.

Great job Pop!!! Great job Spurs!!!

Now if only I can figure out a way to steal Griffin's athletic ability and transfer it to Tiago. :p

Nathan Explosion
12-08-2010, 11:23 PM
How does winning mean the coach is handling every aspect of the team correctly? You can not use their record to claim support for every decision Pop has made as necessarily being the right one. He has made many errors and they have won despite them.

Just because they are winning does not mean Pop's starting Blair is the best possible handling of the big man situation.

Well, if the coach is making mistakes, and the team is still winning in spite of Pop and without Splitter, than obviously the right players are playing at the right time to overcome Pop's mistakes.

Except, Pop is the one who inserts the players. How weird? Pop is screwing up the rotations, and yet, somehow, the right players are getting into the games at the right time to win said games.

:bang

Mel_13
12-08-2010, 11:43 PM
:rolleyes

Ploto, if you'd like to have a debate with yourself kindly do so without quoting my posts. If you choose to quote my posts, I'd appreciate if you would respond to the words I wrote rather than positions you choose to attribute to me.

How does winning mean the coach is handling every aspect of the team correctly?

I didn't say winning means that coach is handling every aspect of the team correctly, you tried to attribute that position to me.

You can not use their record to claim support for every decision Pop has made as necessarily being the right one.

I never said any such thing, you tried to attribute that position to me

He has made many errors and they have won despite them.

I made no assertion of Pop's infallibility, once again you have attempted to attribute a position to me that is not my own.

Finally, I never said any such thing. I know this sort of thing is your go to move, but it really is quite boring.

Now, if you actually care to respond to the positions I've actually taken in this thread, I'd like to read them. If you just intend to continue attributing positions to me that are not my own, I'll just have to continue pointing it out.

kuato
12-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Of course Splitter is better playing with Manu, everybody is better with Manu at his side, Splitter is a role player, like Manu is, like Oberto was, he needs to understand the plays and do his part, give him some time.