PDA

View Full Version : Spurs have been here before and it's showing

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 07:44 AM
azcentral.com
May 24, 2005

cont.

You can fill up the stat sheets with gaudy numbers and you can play above the rim with the best to ever lace up some high tops. But if you don't know how to close out a game then all the blood, sweat and tears that has been left on the court can evaporate in the span of a minute or two.

That is precisely what happened to the Suns on Tuesday night. They had high-flying dunks, long range bombs and fancy passes, but in the end the Spurs were the ones making the plays while the Suns were left looking like a squad of rookies.

In less than one minute late in the fourth quarter the Spurs were able to turn a 102-100 deficit into a 107-102 lead. A Robert Horry three and two baskets by Manu Giniboli in 51 seconds is all it took for the Spurs to take a commanding 2-0 in the best of seven Western Conference Finals.

In the end experience won out and the Suns are having to deal with the harsh lessons that come from facing a battle-hardened team. It no longer matters how many points Amare scores or how many assists Nash finishes with. All that matters is how you play in those critical moments of the game.

The Spurs have that "been there done that" attitude and the Suns don't. That is the reason the Spurs return to San Antonio with a real possibility of ending the Suns season in four games.

"Sometimes you got to sample the waters before you jump in," Mike D'Antoni said in response to a question about the Spurs' playoff experience and the Suns' lack of it.

To use D'Antoni's analogy the Suns are the kid standing on the pier sticking their toe in the water to make sure the tempature is OK, while the Spurs have jumped in the lake, gotten out and are already toweling themselves off.

"It is very tough, very frustrating," Marion said. "We came out with a lot of energy tonight but turnovers killed us, they caught up with us at the end of the game."

If the Suns want to go out as simply a nice little footnote to the 2004-05 then they will travel to San Antonio make some plays, hit a couple of threes and then start their vacation a little earlier than expected.

But if the Suns arrive at the SBC Center with the same swagger with which they played the first 46 minutes of Game 2, then the series can change rather quickly. The Suns have taken their hits and have seen up close and personal what a championship team looks like and now it is up to them to look in that mirror and figure what exactly is looking back at them.

Is it a team that is content with beating everyone's expectations this season or is it one that still has some fight left in them? We won't know until Saturday night.

The Suns know that the odds are staked very much against them, but they have been stacked against them all season long. No one believed in this team or their style and they still don't. That should make them come out loose and fast on Saturday night.

"We played against the odds all season," said Quentin Richardson. "We play well on the road and we aren't going to lose our confidence. Now is not the time to lose confidence. It is gut check time."

The Suns can easily get swept in this series or they can go down to San Antonio, win the next two games and make this a series again. It all comes down to making one play here and one play there.

Experience might be a something acquired over seasons or it could come as quickly as making one play in one critical situation. Each team's learning curve is different, we don't know how long it will take the Suns to figure it out. But if the Suns are able to make that one play, then this will become a series again.

"We are resilient and we know we are in hole", D'Antoni said. "We will go to San Antonio on Saturday night and leave it on the line in Game 3 and see what happens. There is no doubt that we can win."

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 08:01 AM
Here is interesting fact:

Tony Parker in this series has scored 53 pts on 60% shooting

Steve Nash had scored 59 pts on 57% shooting

Given all the other areas that SA has the advantage, I will take this virtual tie at this position any day.

travis2
05-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Here's an interesting fact...

Did you know that you posted this article yesterday? :lol

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Here's an interesting fact...

Did you know that you posted this article yesterday? :lol

This is part 2. I left this out yesterday.

travis2
05-26-2005, 08:15 AM
Nice edit...:lol

JUUOT
05-26-2005, 08:29 AM
I agree, only spurs fan anticipated that parker could make it.
I would not call it a tie, but tony looked far from being ridiculous. i will say he is the best until now against nash and it means something when nash is clear MVP (he is really unbelievable) Tony as some fans said before is getting better and better, the series against denver ans seattle proved it.
maybee in few years he will be the one like nash to explode and reach the next level.
The good thing is: he is not this far!

TwoHandJam
05-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Here is interesting fact:

Tony Parker in this series has scored 53 pts on 60% shooting

Steve Nash had scored 59 pts on 57% shooting

Given all the other areas that SA has the advantage, I will take this virtual tie at this position any day.
Nice try Jim but if you consider their assist numbers, Nash has definitely done more for his team. Point taken however. Parker has played about as well as can be expected from him in this series.

spurster
05-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Spurs have been in the 4th quarter these two games. It's not something we have seen much of to this point. They had been just as likely to falter (e.g., Sonics game 3) as to pull it out (e.g., Sonics game 6).

DDS4
05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Actually, I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the Spurs have been in the 4th quarter these two games. It's not something we have seen much of to this point. They had been just as likely to falter (e.g., Sonics game 3) as to pull it out (e.g., Sonics game 6).

Pleasant surprise indeed.

Way different than years past when we were known to choke in 4th quarters.

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 11:33 AM

72% shooting in the 4th quarter is crazy.

46% the rest of the game and only 40% in 2nd Q.

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Nice try Jim but if you consider their assist numbers, Nash has definitely done more for his team. Point taken however. Parker has played about as well as can be expected from him in this series.

You have to realize that we do not run our offense through TP like they do with Nash. TP needs to do what he is doing, that is to make Nash work on defense by scoring and taking him to the basket. Our assists in the series are just as good as theirs(40-40), it is just that theirs come from one guy, ours come from our motion offense where everyone touches the ball, and the man that is open gets the pass from whoever happens to spot him first.

Two different animals, the PGs in this series.

GoSpurs21
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
If the suns couldnt handle the pressure of the 4th quarter at home, what in the hell are they going to do when the Spurs apply it with their croud raising the roof of the SBC?

That's the difference between Spurs and suns. The Spurs handle the pressure like their All Stars....with ICE in the veins.

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
If the suns couldnt handle the pressure of the 4th quarter at home, what in the hell are they going to do when the Spurs apply it with their croud raising the roof of the SBC?

That's the difference between Spurs and suns. The Spurs handle the pressure like their All Stars....with ICE in the veins.

Phoenix has same record on the road as they do at home. They are just as good on the road.

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 01:09 PM

Someone can slap me for uttering this sentiment, but I feel like I'm on the other side of those Spurs-Lakers series in 2001 and 2002, where the Spurs got absolutely bitch-slapped in 4th quarters by the Lakers, who never seemed to miss a big shot. Fourth Quarters are all about execution, which tends to be about familiarity and fearlessness. The Spurs (like those Lakers teams) have those things over the Suns. Of course, it was also occasionally absent against the Nuggets (Game 1) and Sonics (Game 3), which gives me pause about believing that the Spurs are a great 4th Quarter team yet.

MiNuS
05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Someone can slap me for uttering this sentiment, but I feel like I'm on the other side of those Spurs-Lakers series in 2001 and 2002, where the Spurs got absolutely bitch-slapped in 4th quarters by the Lakers, who never seemed to miss a big shot. Fourth Quarters are all about execution, which tends to be about familiarity and fearlessness. The Spurs (like those Lakers teams) have those things over the Suns. Of course, it was also occasionally absent against the Nuggets (Game 1) and Sonics (Game 3), which gives me pause about believing that the Spurs are a great 4th Quarter team yet.

The common denominator between that Laker team and this Spurs team is:

HORRY

ShoogarBear
05-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Took the words out of my mouth, FWD.