Brazil
12-08-2010, 07:14 AM
didn't see posted

Power Rankings: Tough call, but Mavs still rule

By Dave Del Grande
The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com
Updated Dec. 7, 2010.

Why? Why? Why?
Don't for a second think I don't hear you shouting it sometimes.
So this week, picking five of the toughest decisions made for this week's rankings, I will explain.
1. Why the Mavericks (16-4) over the Spurs (17-3) for the No. 1 spot when San Antonio has the better record?
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/basketball/nba/img14404965.jpg The long and short of Dallas' continued No. 1 ranking is the strength of its wins. (Getty Images) Two reasons: The Mavs have more quality wins (seven over my Top 10 as opposed to just four for the Spurs) and, most important, Dallas went into San Antonio the day after Thanksgiving and stuffed the 13-1 Spurs.
2. Why the Heat (14-8) over the Magic (15-6) for the No. 4 spot?
Again, two reasons (setting aside the obvious, which is Orlando's home win over Miami on Nov. 24). The Heat are the hotter team, having won five in a row, all by double figures, while the Magic have dropped two straight, including Monday at home to a hot Atlanta team the Heat had cooled some in its previous contest. Also, the Magic's record has been in large part a product of the second-easiest schedule in the league so far.
3. Why the Hawks (14-8) and Nuggets (13-6) over the Lakers (14-6) for the No. 7 spot?
Gotta be honest here: Very little separates these clubs. Atlanta would be last in this group had it not gone to Orlando and beaten the Magic on Monday, but it did. And Denver, winner of seven in a row (before Tuesday's loss to Charlotte), would nonetheless trail Los Angeles if the Lakers had won even once in their Utah-Indiana-Memphis-Houston losing streak, but they didn't.
4. Why are the Rockets (7-13) ahead of three teams with better records and three others with identical marks?
When a pack is this tightly bundled, it's all about what you've done for me lately. The Rockets have wins over the Lakers and Thunder in the past week and a half. That gives them the edge.
5. Why are the Kings (4-15) behind the Clippers (5-17)?
Oh, it's more than just the records and Monday's head-to-head result (L.A. by seven). The Clippers have played one of the league's toughest schedules, while the Kings have struggled against one of the softest to date.
In fact, you could argue the Clippers should be rated ahead of the Cavaliers (7-13). So why aren't they? Uh, I don't have an answer for that one -- after all, that would mean explaining six decisions when I allowed for five.

Brazil
12-08-2010, 07:17 AM
nothing scandalous

urunobili
12-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Dallas is playing better right now to be honest. Can't wait for our next head to head vs. them :)

easjer
12-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Ok, reasonable explanation. The Dallas win might have a little more impact for me if I'd thought the Spurs could be expected to maintain that 12 game streak much longer, and if Dallas didn't have a grudge/score to settle, and if the game hadn't been reasonably close/winnable until the end.

But, shrug, reasonable enough. We all know Power Rankings are a week to week thing and don't mean much in the grand scheme. Nice to see the Spurs up for consideration at the top of the pile instead of mouldering in the middle, and that's as much thought as I give it.

41times
12-08-2010, 10:21 AM
It's amazing how much better the Mavs are especially on defense now that they have a real Center or 2. Chandler has made a Big Difference and Haywood is a terrific back up who can start if needed.

Mavs allowing around 93 ppg. That is as good as the year they won 67 games.

admiralsnackbar
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Spurs seem more balanced offensively, but their defense isn't consistent enough to beat out Dallas right now. Which is just weird as hell to write.

Anyway, Dallas definitely has a scary-ass cadre of young front-line talent which makes me grateful for our good shooters this year, but doubly hopeful Blair and Splitter develop their NBA acumen sooner than later. That said, winning a game after Thanksgiving isn't enough to make me say they have our number.

Agloco
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Spurs seem more balanced offensively, but their defense isn't consistent enough to beat out Dallas right now. Which is just weird as hell to write.

Anyway, Dallas definitely has a scary-ass cadre of young front-line talent which makes me grateful for our good shooters this year, but doubly hopeful Blair and Splitter develop their NBA acumen sooner than later. That said, winning a game after Thanksgiving isn't enough to make me say they have our number.

Red: +1 ....... extremely weird.

Yes, correct on multiple points here.

I agree that the defense is lacking, as evidenced in the Dallas loss. We simply couldn't get any stops down the stretch while turning the ball over multiple times. Despite that, it was anyone's game until about the 2 minute mark. I take this as a positive, especially since its early in the season.

The other hope is that Blair and Splitter continue to develop on the defensive end. They don't need to be DPOY candidates, but they need to be able to hold their own against bigger and stronger opposition in the post. Additionally, proper and crisp rotations are a must if help defense is required. IMO those things will make this team "good enough" on the defensive end.

Chomag
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM

Wow! I didn't realize that mavs were that good in defence this year. Chandler sure has made a big difference for your team hasn't he.

Good for him,I always have liked him and never understand why this guy has not found a home to stick with. I guess it's his injuries that has made him thrown around the league becuase he seems to have a good attitude.

lefty
12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Fair enough

99-03-05-07
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
ask CBS how many championships dallas has

LongtimeSpursFan
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
No qualms with Dallas #1 ranking and Spurs #2 ranking. Similar records and with Dallas beating us head to head that gives them the inside track. As far as defense though some folks are complaining that Dallas defense is ahead of us due to points allowed per game. I like our 8.9 winning margin. Plus, although we are not shutting down teams like we use to I do see signs that we are much more aggressive on steals and rebounds. Hands on this team are very active and at times we can look very tough defensively on the perimeter as opposed to interior defense we've always had.

dbestpro
12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
What I don't understand is why teams don't go after Dirk on defense. You should go after him play after play until he gets into foul trouble. Without Dirk the Mavs will wilt like an August tulip.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree with this ranking

rjv
12-08-2010, 01:25 PM
why is the writer so defensive ? just place your rankings and move on..no need to justify them

admiralsnackbar
12-08-2010, 01:26 PM
What I don't understand is why teams don't go after Dirk on defense. You should go after him play after play until he gets into foul trouble. Without Dirk the Mavs will wilt like an August tulip.

Dirk is one of the best in the business when it comes to selling fouls. If you don't play him carefully he can get your whole team in foul trouble.

nkdlunch
12-08-2010, 01:37 PM
agree 100%

We lost to clippers and mavs in last week. Plus Mavs always play better than spurs in regular season

concken
12-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Hopefully after tonight we will take the top spot. Dallas had their hands full with GS last night. I'm sure they are rundown, and should be a marginal victory for us.

lil'mo
12-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Enjoy Chandler while he's healthy, mavs!

Fireball
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Its called "POWER RANKINGS" for a reason! You rank the teams taking into account their play in a certain stretch of time. The Mavs have a 10 game winning streak and they beat our Spurs. Therefore, of course the Spurs should not rank higher than the Mavs. The overall record has nothing do with that.

concken
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
its called "power rankings" for a reason! You rank the teams taking into account their play in a certain stretch of time. The mavs have a 10 game winning streak and they beat our spurs. Therefore, of course the spurs should not rank higher than the mavs. The overall record has nothing do with that.

"power rankings" 101

Rummpd
12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Dallas, while it has played a slightly harder schedule overall, has a point differential of around 6 with a similar SOS the last 10 while the Spurs have a > point differential topping the league around 9. Dallas may be improved but Spurs still have the better record. Don't annoint Dallas yet IMO.

Phillip
12-08-2010, 03:08 PM

Teams do from time to time, but it doesnt work, because he's a much improved defender from 7+ years ago, where he got the label of _irk. I've even seen several teams do it already this year, and it only worked once, when the Clippers sent Blake Griffin at him, and it only worked because Griffin simply was too athletic for Dirk (then again, he's too athletic for most 7-footers to guard consistently, dude is a freak)

Phillip
12-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Dallas, while it has played a slightly harder schedule overall, has a point differential of around 6 with a similar SOS the last 10 while the Spurs have a > point differential topping the league around 9. Dallas may be improved but Spurs still have the better record. Don't annoint Dallas yet IMO.

And there were quite a few games where Dallas was up by 20+ in the 4th, and put all their scrubs in, so the opposing team made a run in junk time and instead of a 20+ point loss, it was 10. Don't get so caught up in point differential for Dallas yet IMO.

Strike
12-08-2010, 03:17 PM
ask CBS how many championships dallas has

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__oiArerBWfI/TIFOVEbnReI/AAAAAAAAC0E/NUNSZF_S96I/s1600/invalid-argument.jpg

admiralsnackbar
12-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Same with Manu.

Somehow this doesn't seem like a good conversation for a Laker fan to step into.

LoneStarState'sPride
12-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Same with Manu.

C'mon, luva, don't serve up softies like this :lol

cornbread
12-08-2010, 03:50 PM

I think they look better than the '06 squad. Chandler's playing great and Butler looks a lot more comfortable. The bench is also deep. The Mavs have a great chance of bringing the LOB this year.

nkdlunch
12-08-2010, 03:56 PM
The Mavs have a great chance of bringing the LOB this year.

the same can be said about the Celtics, Spurs, Lakers at this point.

admiralsnackbar
12-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Injuries have never stopped us from winning titles.

Yeah... just from missing the playoffs.

cornbread
12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
the same can be said about the Celtics, Spurs, Lakers at this point.

I agree. It's one of those four teams taking it this year. Too early for me to make a call on which team will win it though. There's still lots of ball to be played.

DesignatedT
12-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Does this surprise people? Most analyst had the spurs finishing as a 7-8 seed again this year, of course they all have doubts.

Rummpd
12-08-2010, 06:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Celtics by a hair over Spurs then Mavs based on actual performance. You may not agree with his metrics but point differential has been a strong predictor of utlimate team success

JR3
12-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Mavs are #1 in the power rankings. I'm heart broken.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-08-2010, 08:34 PM
Mavs deserve #1. That loss to the Clippers basically took away #1.

u4lakers14
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
i would agree that manu seems injury prone.

im not talking greg oden here, more like tmac jr.

Mav-elous Man
12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
Here's the top teams in the league playing well. :toast I just hope we get a good year of basketball, good and exciting playoff match ups, and an all Texas WCF. I don't care which one of us plays the Lakers as long as they beat the shit out of them. Not afraid of them at all. They can be beat. :ihit

TampaDude
12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Regular season is just that, the regular season.

Spurs and Celtics in the Finals, book it.

Sean Cagney
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Dallas looks good...... They will never go anywhere it seems! I wish they would just go away already but nooooooooo.

#2!
12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
It's amazing how much better the Mavs are especially on defense now that they have a real Center or 2. Chandler has made a Big Difference and Haywood is a terrific back up who can start if needed.

Mavs allowing around 93 ppg. That is as good as the year they lost to eighth seeded Golden State in the 1st round of the playoffs.

fify

Sean Cagney
12-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Regular season is just that, the regular season.

Spurs and Celtics in the Finals, book it.
I have been waiting for this since 08... LET IT HAPPEN!

jjktkk
12-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Same with Manu.

You left out Bynum and Bryant sweet pea.