PDA

View Full Version : Ted Turner, father of five, wants one child policy

DarrinS
12-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Ted Turner Wants World to Adopt One-Child Policy - What's at Stake?

http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978769357

Ted Turner, himself a father of five, wants the world to adopt the same one-child policy currently in place in China. Turner’s reasoning: He believes we need to slow population growth to preserve the human species.

Turner spoke at a climate conference on Sunday, and said, “If we’re going to be here…5,000 years from now, we’re not going to do it with seven billion people.” He went on further to say that those who don’t wish to procreate can sell their fertility rights to those who want to have more than one child. (human cap and trade :lmao)

This is not the first time that Ted Turner has advocated limiting the number of children families are allowed to have. According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Turner advocated a similar policy two years ago, though he allowed a little more wiggle room. Back in 2008, he was generous enough to offer up a two-child limit rather than a one-child limit.

And, so the battle over the wombs of the world’s women continues. Some groups, primarily religious ones, want women to have as many babies as is humanly possible. Others want women to have freedom to choose their family size. Some groups (again, primarily religious ones) want to outlaw abortion. Others want to keep it safe and legal. Now there is pressure for women to limit how many children they bear.

Who wins in all of this? Marie Claire ran an article in their December issue, spotlighting a Chinese woman who broke China’s one-child law. Her brother-in-law was imprisoned until she “agreed” to a forced sterilization.

According to that article, in the Puning region alone, 9,000 women were forcibly sterilized between April and June of this year; in a process they call “remedial surgery.” The slogan of the “family-planning clinics” where these sterilizations take place is, “Have Fewer Children. Eugenics for a Happy Life, a Happy Family, and a Harmonious Society.”

Notice that it is the women in China who must be sterilized, not the men. For a “harmonious society,” the wombs of the nation’s women must be subjugated. Is this the kind of society we want to become? Is Ted Turner’s goal of worldwide population control worth harming women to achieve?

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 09:34 AM
I hope he gets a million or so letters saying he should move to China.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
That'd be sweet. I'd sell my fertility rights in a second.

The US isn't really the problem though. I'm not sure what our population growth is but its not gigantic like other places on earth. In any event, population is probably going to be the biggest problem in the future. AGW has NOTHING on future population problems.

Blake
12-08-2010, 09:46 AM
a one troll account policy around here might be nice.

Spurminator
12-08-2010, 10:00 AM
RG posted an article in a thread a while back that, if true, renders Turner's concerns moot.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/10/11/think_again_global_aging

Eventually, the last echoes of the global baby boomers will fade away. Then, because of the continuing fall in birth rates, humans will face the very real prospect that our numbers will fall as fast -- if not faster -- than the rate at which they once grew. Russia's population is already 7 million below what it was in 1991. As for Japan, one expert has calculated that the very last Japanese baby will be born in the year 2959, assuming the country's low fertility rate of 1.25 children per woman continues unchanged. Young Austrian women now tell pollsters their ideal family size is less than two children, enough to replace themselves but not their partners. Worldwide, there is a 50 percent chance that the population will be falling by 2070, according to a recent study published in Nature. By 2150, according to one U.N. projection, the global population could be half what it is today.

Winehole23
12-08-2010, 10:06 AM

The US isn't really the problem though. I'm not sure what our population growth is but its not gigantic like other places on earth. In any event, population is probably going to be the biggest problem in the future. AGW has NOTHING on future population problems.Had you read this, yet?

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Instead of whacky Ted'svision on the subject, maybe if we just stopped allowing more than one child to be exempted on the tax code, and didn't pay women to have illegitimate kids. Make the fathers and mothers responsible for their offspring instead of the tax payer. Remove all financial incentives of having children.

DarrinS
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM

The US isn't really the problem though. I'm not sure what our population growth is but its not gigantic like other places on earth. In any event, population is probably going to be the biggest problem in the future. AGW has NOTHING on future population problems.

The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s and 1980s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate...

--The Population Bomb, by Paul Ehrlich (1968)

:rolleyes

SnakeBoy
12-08-2010, 11:27 AM
In any event, population is probably going to be the biggest problem in the future.

Nothing to lose sleep over. Eventually Mother Nature will take care of the population problem.

Parker2112
12-08-2010, 11:35 AM
fascist progressive bullshit.

It might be a problem, however the right to procreate is not a right that can be infringed by government in America.

Ted needs to stfu.

Bottom line: We need to get comfortable with our own nature...on the whole we are a greedy, selfish, despicable, unstoppable species and we WILL overrun the host. Those characteristics are innate, and its not within the bounds of government to save us from ourselves. Only we as individuals can forego rights such as the one at issue.

And that aint happening.

Our time is short.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Instead of whacky Ted'svision on the subject, maybe if we just stopped allowing more than one child to be exempted on the tax code, and didn't pay women to have illegitimate kids. Make the fathers and mothers responsible for their offspring instead of the tax payer. Remove all financial incentives of having children.

We have a winner. I'm sick of stupid unemployed people spitting out babies like watermelon seeds because of financial incentives. My daughter knows a girl in her early 20's that has 3 kids from 3 different fathers and lives on child support and government aid. My office is near Fox Tech High School and I see pregnant girls all the time pushing baby buggies with another kid walking by their side taking their kids to the day care at Fox Tech.

Parker2112
12-08-2010, 11:39 AM
We have a winner. I'm sick of stupid unemployed people spitting out babies like watermelon seeds because of financial incentives. My daughter knows a girl in her early 20's that has 3 kids from 3 different fathers and lives on child support and government aid. My office is near Fox Tech High School and I see pregnant girls all the time pushing baby buggies with another kid walking by their side taking their kids to the day care at Fox Tech.

The free market solution.:lol

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
RG posted an article in a thread a while back that, if true, renders Turner's concerns moot.

Had you read this, yet?

I'll have to give those a read - they look very interesting - but even by 2070 the worlds population is expected to more then double isn't it? It will be interesting to see what kind of stress this puts on the global economy.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM

You think that most of those people you see are having babies for financial reasons?

You guys make me SMH.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Nothing to lose sleep over. Eventually Mother Nature will take care of the population problem.

One way or another.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 12:16 PM
You think that most of those people you see are having babies for financial reasons?

You guys make me SMH.

is it just ignorance then? They don't know where babies come from?

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
That article is taking the UN low projection. The UN high projection shows a much different picture. It would be interesting to see what variables were involved in arriving at those projections but it probably is as simple as a faster decline in the fertility rate.

johnsmith
12-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Lack of sexual education for low income families argument in 3......2......1........

lefty
12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Is Turner aware that a lot of American soldiers are dying overseas?

There is no risk of overpopulation (is that a word?) in the U.S

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
is it just ignorance then? They don't know where babies come from?

There are a variety of factors including sexual pressure, ignorance of sexual education, and socio economic situations but there is basically no evidence to support any theory that teen pregnancy is caused in anyway by a desire to get more welfare money.

There was no evidence to suggest that women became pregnant to get council housing or social security benefits. Most of them had known little or nothing about housing policy or benefits before becoming pregnant and the little they had known was usually wrong.

http://www.psi.org.uk/news/pressrelease.asp?news_item_id=37

johnsmith
12-08-2010, 12:28 PM
There are a variety of factors including sexual pressure, ignorance of sexual education, and socio economic situations but there is basically no evidence to support any theory that teen pregnancy is caused in anyway by a desire to get more welfare money.

:rollin

This forum hasn't become predictable at all.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 12:33 PM
:rollin

This forum hasn't become predictable at all.

:lol

:flipoff

Honestly its because its the truth, but yeah - basically the same arguments have been going on here since forever. We just recycle the shit.

johnsmith
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM

:flipoff

Honestly its because its the truth, but yeah - basically the same arguments have been going on here since forever. We just recycle the shit.

Don't get me wrong here, the 'rights' response was just as predictable.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 12:36 PM

http://www.psi.org.uk/news/pressrelease.asp?news_item_id=37

OK, so in other words, it's hopeless because they are just fucking stupid...

got it...

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 12:39 PM

got it...

I don't know how you got that from what I said but you're welcome to believe what you'd like.

Oh, Gee!!
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
ted can piss in one hand and wish in the other. we'll see which hand fills up first

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 12:50 PM

I agree that there is real moral hazard to "incentivising" having babies. However, if we didn't provide for the mom, then these kids are screwed. If our society can help, should we? Perhaps we should just have everyone on welfare with children annually revisited to make sure they are taking care of the necessities of thier child/ren, or else the child is placed in foster care.

The two biggest problems I see with fixing the system are causing issues for the innocent kids, and too much of "big brother" stepping in to determine how one raises thier children. (Then again, if you're getting helped by the government, having to abide by gov guidelines isn't too bad.)

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh and as far as the OP, that's f'ing ridiculous. Ted Turner can kiss my ass. Sorry pal, but try to start limiting family size in America and you'll get run out of town.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 01:06 PM

An interesting article, but there's some math in there so stupid it makes my head hurt.

As for Japan, one expert has calculated that the very last Japanese baby will be born in the year 2959, assuming the country's low fertility rate of 1.25 children per woman continues unchanged.

Now earlier in the article, they talked about the dire predictions of Paul Erlich, and how the birth rate dropped from 2 to roughly 1% in the past 20/30 years.

Then they post a mathematician who's projecting out current fertility rates to the year 2959? GTFO

jack sommerset
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm telling you guys the US should force anyone under the age of 18 to go on some sort of birth control. This will clean up alot of the mess plus make people know how great/tough the responsibility is for having children.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't know how you got that from what I said but you're welcome to believe what you'd like.

Maybe what I'm saying is those are problems that have no solution. They all boil down to individual choices made out of ignorance.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 02:14 PM
You think choices made out of ignorance are unsolvable? Choices made out of ignorance by definition are preventable.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
You think choices made out of ignorance are unsolvable? Choices made out of ignorance by definition are preventable.

So you are saying that all social problems can be solved with more education?

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
i dont get it.

is it that hard to understand how babies are made? really? how can you know how to stimulate the clit but not know what the whole contraption is for?

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
i dont get it.

is it that hard to understand how babies are made? really? how can you know how to stimulate the clit but not know what the whole contraption is for?

I think knowing how babies are born is pretty obvious; knowing all the work/time/frustration etc, not so much. Though with all these 16 and Pregnant, Teen Mom shows, maybe some kids are starting to realize it's not that smart.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
So you are saying that all social problems can be solved with more education?

I didn't say that.

But let me frame it to you this way CC. I'm assuming none of your kids were teen parents and why do you think that was? Do you think its because they were just fundamentally different from those teens you see everyday or do you think it was something they experienced or were taught along the way?

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 02:49 PM
i still dont understand. do these guys really think "im not going to pull out because having a kid is worth going inside her."

really?

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
i still dont understand. do these guys really think "im not going to pull out because having a kid is worth going inside her."

really?

You really can't believe that teenagers are capable of really stupid judgement?

boutons_deux
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I read where some US teens are getting pregnant to get on the teevee and become celebrities.

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 02:56 PM
You really can't believe that teenagers are capable of really stupid judgement?

nah. especially girls who get pregnant more than once before theyre 20.

Blake
12-08-2010, 02:57 PM

got it...

so you are saying that these girls are thinking about government money when they lay down and spread their legs open?

you are giving them too much credit. there are some really, really fucking stupid high school kids out there.

Blake
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
nah. especially girls who get pregnant more than once before theyre 20.

yeah like the drunk driver who has multiple arrests for DWI.

the first time was just stupid. the 2nd time was deviously planned.

DarrinS
12-08-2010, 03:34 PM
The weight of all the termites in the world is greater than the weight of all the humans in the world.

And termites produce (gasp) METHANE! :wow

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 03:37 PM

really?

I don't understand drunk drivers. Do these drunk drivers really think "i'm going to drive drunk because having to get a cab is annoying"?

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 03:38 PM
so you are saying that these girls are thinking about government money when they lay down and spread their legs open?

you are giving them too much credit. there are some really, really fucking stupid high school kids out there.

You think these girls don't talk to each other?

You think when they walk to the Valero and the one with the kid whips out her own Lone Star card to buy her "free" slushie and candy her friends don't notice? You think when she tells them she's getting $750 a month for the first one and $400 a month for the second they don't think for a minute...hey...I could do that too?

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 03:48 PM

You think when they walk to the Valero and the one with the kid whips out her own Lone Star card to buy her "free" slushie and candy her friends don't notice? You think when she tells them she's getting $750 a month for the first one and $400 a month for the second they don't think for a minute...hey...I could do that too?

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Really CC? Really?

How much do you think diapers/baby stuff cost per month? And how about having to deal with a baby, and the lack of freedom and independence that comes from that?

If you think kids are looking at teens with babies and saying, "That's something I want in on! A free slushie!".... well, I'm sorry, but you've obviously lost your mind.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
The weight of all the termites in the world is greater than the weight of all the humans in the world.

And termites produce (gasp) METHANE! :wow

Do all the termites in the world fill the superdome? Thats the real question.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Jesus fucking Christ.

If anything this forum serves as a good indicator of how people themselves view the world.

Blake
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
If you think kids are looking at teens with babies and saying, "That's something I want in on! A free slushie"

:lmao:lmao:lmao free slushies

Blake
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
still laughing at that....

:lmao

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
So tell me then oh wise ones...

Why are there so many teen single mothers?

I know how much it takes to raise kids RIGHT. But do they?

You really think when you are living in a shithole with shithole parents and teen hormones/stupidity to boot that getting $25,000 a year for having a couple of kids doesn't sound attractive? At that age it sounds like a damn fortune...then they just end up living in a shithole and being a shithole parent raising shithole kids. Rinse and repeat.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
3 ways out of the hood: Sports, Lottery, and get rich via welfare. Thats how they see it.

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't understand drunk drivers. Do these drunk drivers really think "i'm going to drive drunk because having to get a cab is annoying"?

drunk driving isnt a good metaphor for having kids unless you procreate while drunk. ive known several girls who've gotten pregnant because they didnt remember that night, and the dude denies everything. alcohol can be a big problem in those situations.

that said, you still have the option of pulling out, or better yet, wearing a condom. drunks dont have the option to sober up before they start driving.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 05:04 PM
You know, the idea that a teenage girl goes and gets pregnant because they want a free slushie is something I'd expect out of South Park.

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM
drunk driving isnt a good metaphor for having kids unless you procreate while drunk. ive known several girls who've gotten pregnant because they didnt remember that night, and the dude denies everything. alcohol can be a big problem in those situations.

that said, you still have the option of pulling out, or better yet, wearing a condom. drunks dont have the option to sober up before they start driving.

LOL what?

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
You know, the idea that a teenage girl goes and gets pregnant because they want a free slushie is something I'd expect out of South Park.

I thought you'd like that Manny...

Seriously though...Being a teenager in a good middle class family is tough enough. Add the stress of being in a borderline welfare family with shit parents and getting paid by the government to get pregnant and have a child that "will love you" sounds really attractive.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

Because teens are stupid. Teens do alot of stupid stuff. I'm sure you did stupid stuff as well. (Obviously, there are degrees of stupidity, but the main point is that teens don't think things through.)

You really think when you are living in a shithole with shithole parents and teen hormones/stupidity to boot that getting $25,000 a year for having a couple of kids doesn't sound attractive? At that age it sounds like a damn fortune...then they just end up living in a shithole and being a shithole parent raising shithole kids. Rinse and repeat.

$25,000 a year? Are you sure you're not high-balling that?

And SOME kids may think that, yes. But I doubt the majority are like that. Most are young, dumb, and "in love". Let's face it, not many teenagers think long-term.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM

They have the option of calling a cab, calling a friend, staying there, etc etc. If they choose to drive drunk, then it's a stupid decision.

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
LOL what?

:meeting:

thats the point. it doesnt make sense to compare the two unless youre talking about the use of alcohol in both situations (driving and having sex.)

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Because teens are stupid. Teens do alot of stupid stuff. I'm sure you did stupid stuff as well. (Obviously, there are degrees of stupidity, but the main point is that teens don't think things through.)

$25,000 a year? Are you sure you're not high-balling that?

And SOME kids may think that, yes. But I doubt the majority are like that. Most are young, dumb, and "in love". Let's face it, not many teenagers think long-term.

I don't think so..I looked into it once...I don't remember the exact numbers, but for a single teen mother with 2 kids by the time you added up cash payments, lone star card (they add to payments and card every time you have another kid) housing subsidies, etc. it can easily hit 25K a year.

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
They have the option of calling a cab, calling a friend, staying there, etc etc. If they choose to drive drunk, then it's a stupid decision.

so what do drinking & driving and getting a girl pregnant have to do with each other?

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't think so..I looked into it once...I don't remember the exact numbers, but for a single teen mother with 2 kids by the time you added up cash payments, lone star card (they add to payments and card every time you have another kid) housing subsidies, etc. it can easily hit 25K a year.

And how much does baby food, diapers and other supplies for two children work out to be?

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:22 PM
so what do drinking & driving and getting a girl pregnant have to do with each other?

Getting pregnant early = stupid mistake/decision

Drinking and driving = stupid mistake/decision

Blake
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM

free slushies apparently.

I know how much it takes to raise kids RIGHT. But do they?

where are you getting $25k from?

Blake
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
drunks dont have the option to sober up before they start driving.

they have the option of staying sober or giving up their car keys before drinking.

....but that wasn't the point of my original analogy.

The Reckoning
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Getting pregnant early = stupid mistake/decision

Drinking and driving = stupid mistake/decision

im saying that alcohol is the lurking variable in the comparison. comparing the use of alcohol with teen pregnancy rates is a valid study. comparing drunk driving with teen pregnancy rates isnt. that's all.

Blake
12-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Seriously though...

so now you are saying you weren't serious when you said "free slushies"

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
im saying that alcohol is the lurking variable in the comparison. comparing the use of alcohol with teen pregnancy rates is a valid study. comparing drunk driving with teen pregnancy rates isnt. that's all.

You just asked me for the comparison, and I gave it to you. Drunk driving is a dumb decision. Getting pregnant early is a dumb decision. Putting all your life savings in a volatile stock is a dumb decision. Etc etc

People make dumb decisions every day, throughout the world. Teenagers probably make more dumb decisions than adults. Most teen pregnancies are probably dumb decisions.

I don't think I can spell it out any easier.

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 05:33 PM
so now you are saying you weren't serious when you said "free slushies"

Fuck off and let the adults talk...

CosmicCowboy
12-08-2010, 05:34 PM
And how much does baby food, diapers and other supplies for two children work out to be?

You think those teenagers really put a pen to it?

Whats your point?

I know it's stupid for them to get pregnant for the "money". So do you.

Apparently they don't.

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Seriously though...Being a teenager in a good middle class family is tough enough. Add the stress of being in a borderline welfare family with shit parents and getting paid by the government to get pregnant and have a child that "will love you" sounds really attractive.

CC, the govt. does not pay them to get pregnant. Stop with the strawmen already.

jack sommerset
12-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Whats your point?

Apparently they don't.

They want that Obama money!

Blake
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Fuck off and let the adults talk...

I know it's easier just to say fuck off than to back up your stupid claims of free slushies and $25k incomes.

Nothing new from you. What an idiot.

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM

I can tell you for a fact, since I currently have a dead beat step daughter trying to milk the program, it don't hit anywhere near 25k a year. And housing subsidies are independent of whether or not there's a kid in the mix, so you can chunk that little bit out of the mix.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Whats your point?

Apparently they don't.

You think that kids are stupid enough to see another teen mom getting free slushies and think that's heaven.

I think kids who are old enough to have children realize that food/diapers/etc costs money.

That's my point. Teens may be stupid in having kids, but I didn't say they were retarded and think that their babies were fed on sunshine and smiles.

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2010, 05:43 PM
These arguments are very similar to the unemployment arguments wherein it's just so much easier to collect unemployment than to work...which is true if you don't want to eat much or pay bills.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I can tell you for a fact, since I currently have a dead beat step daughter trying to milk the program, it don't hit anywhere near 25k a year. And housing subsidies are independent of whether or not there's a kid in the mix, so you can chunk that little bit out of the mix.

Tell the truth Teysha; your dead beat step daughter just bought a new Hummer with her gov't stipend this month, didn't she? :lol

Blake
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Tell the truth Teysha; your dead beat step daughter just bought a new Hummer with her gov't stipend this month, didn't she? :lol

that hummer looks great around her slushee

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM

Fuckin' Caddy. :ihit

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
These arguments are very similar to the unemployment arguments wherein it's just so much easier to collect unemployment than to work...which is true if you don't want to eat much or pay bills.

Again Teysha, this is more nonsense. Surely you know that with Obama in office, someone who's unemployed with three children is living the high life, renting out high-rise Manhattan apartments as they sip on their mojitos while their children watch German fetish porn.

And don't even start me up on the lavish stuff you can purchase if you're disabled!

TeyshaBlue
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Again Teysha, this is more nonsense. Surely you know that with Obama in office, someone who's unemployed with three children is living the high life, renting out high-rise Manhattan apartments as they sip on their mojitos while their children watch German fetish porn.

And don't even start me up on the lavish stuff you can purchase if you're disabled!

Manhattan apartments, mojitos, German fetish porn?

Dude, I do not want to see your browser cache.:wow:lol

MannyIsGod
12-08-2010, 05:49 PM
^^^:lmao !!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:41 PM

You guys make me SMH.
Some do have babies for money. Even those who don't, shouldn't be rewarded with government handouts. If they cannot afford the child, they can let someone adopt the child who can.

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:45 PM

Say what you will, but i have talked to women that know all about the scheme. You see, they get a very healthy payment, at least here in Oregon, and section 8 housing, if they have a child 3 years old or less. They get pushed off the better aid when the child is more than 3. these women purposely have children every three years to stay on a system to live in a nice house at tax payer expenses.

It happens. I know this as fact.

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I agree that there is real moral hazard to "incentivising" having babies. However, if we didn't provide for the mom, then these kids are screwed. If our society can help, should we? Perhaps we should just have everyone on welfare with children annually revisited to make sure they are taking care of the necessities of thier child/ren, or else the child is placed in foster care.

The two biggest problems I see with fixing the system are causing issues for the innocent kids, and too much of "big brother" stepping in to determine how one raises thier children. (Then again, if you're getting helped by the government, having to abide by gov guidelines isn't too bad.)
Those kids grow up pretty fucked up as it is. Most don't have any good role models in their lives. these are the kids who end up more often than not, being troublemakers in society.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Those kids grow up pretty fucked up as it is. Most don't have any good role models in their lives. these are the kids who end up more often than not, being troublemakers in society.

Perhaps; I would say the parents who are out there that have babies to exploit a system are probably poor role models. (I think we disagree on the prevalence of these types, but without facts on either side it's just personal opinion.)

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Frankly, it amazes me that any American would even suggest a "one-child" policy. It's one of those things that, to my mind, is as anti-American as they come. The government deciding whether or not you can procreate? Uh, yeah, no thanks.

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Perhaps; I would say the parents who are out there that have babies to exploit a system are probably poor role models. (I think we disagree on the prevalence of these types, but without facts on either side it's just personal opinion.)
I've seen first hand.

I want to also say, any of you men out there who have children.. take care of them well. Don't be an absent father. Stay in their lives daily.

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Frankly, it amazes me that any American would even suggest a "one-child" policy. It's one of those things that, to my mind, is as anti-American as they come. The government deciding whether or not you can procreate? Uh, yeah, no thanks.
Welcome to another fucked up agenda of the authoritarian left.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Stay in their lives daily.

Barring deployment, I plan to. :)

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Barring deployment, I plan to. :)
Oh god...

The first time I was deployed after my wife and I had a child, my first daughter was about 3 months old. She didn't know me when I got back! It was only a 30 day training exercise too. I really feel for those who actually get deployed.

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Oh god...

The first time I was deployed after my wife and I had a child, my first daughter was about 3 months old. She didn't know me when I got back! It was only a 30 day training exercise too. I really feel for those who actually get deployed.

I expect I'll be gone next Christmas (per deployment cycle) so I'm trying to enjoy this one.

SnakeBoy
12-08-2010, 07:32 PM
One way or another.

More like one way and another. Most people think of big events like natural catastrophes, pandemics, war, mass starvation, etc. but I think it will be the little things that people tend to overlook that end up limiting our population growth...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/aug/12/the-end-of-antibiotics-health-infections

Drachen
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Whats your point?

Apparently they don't.

I think you are being inconsistent with the credit you are giving teenagers. On one hand you are saying that they are smart enough to make a long term plan that says "If I get pregnant, then after the baby is born, I will begin "earning" 25k a year, which can get me out of this house, into my own place, etc.....". On the other hand you are saying that teens are too stupid to think ahead (like about diapers and everything).

People make ridiculously idiotic decisions. Teens due to their lack of experience and education are probably more susceptible than adults. When I was 18, I was accepted to 3 very reputable schools with scholarships ranging from half to full. I turned them all down because I was "in love." (I know, extremely stupid, and I have been hit many times, by friends of mine who are girls, for making such a universally bad decision). Now that wasn't a baby, but the example is very easily relate-able. Teens have babies because they are morons. I was a moron, you were a moron, everyone was a moron, who, by the way, thought that they were intellectually superior to everyone (that we knew everything). Upbringing, education, etc can alter the degree of idiocy, but can never erase it. I don't have a specific plan as to how to educate these kids and maybe these pregnancy shows are a good thing (I abhor the idea of them).

frodo
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
I think you are being inconsistent with the credit you are giving teenagers. On one hand you are saying that they are smart enough to make a long term plan that says "If I get pregnant, then after the baby is born, I will begin "earning" 25k a year, which can get me out of this house, into my own place, etc.....". On the other hand you are saying that teens are too stupid to think ahead (like about diapers and everything).

People make ridiculously idiotic decisions. Teens due to their lack of experience and education are probably more susceptible than adults. When I was 18, I was accepted to 3 very reputable schools with scholarships ranging from half to full. I turned them all down because I was "in love." (I know, extremely stupid, and I have been hit many times, by friends of mine who are girls, for making such a universally bad decision). Now that wasn't a baby, but the example is very easily relate-able. Teens have babies because they are morons. I was a moron, you were a moron, everyone was a moron, who, by the way, thought that they were intellectually superior to everyone (that we knew everything). Upbringing, education, etc can alter the degree of idiocy, but can never erase it. I don't have a specific plan as to how to educate these kids and maybe these pregnancy shows are a good thing (I abhor the idea of them).

you were indeed a moron if you chose not to pounce on the loophole. only immigrants are privileged for free school and you got some damn good luck to get a few such offers, while the general tuition for local students have been skyrocketing. one thing u didn't realize at the time was that american girls are all somewhat of sluts and can never really get "in love". a college degree from a reputed school would have earned you a wider/nicer range of females to choose from. american girls get everything done quick, they fall in love quick and the love will fade soon.

you were jsut too desperate for a citizenship at that time imo. being married to an american woman you can easily get a citizenship you've long been craving, at least much easier than other ways like joining the army etc... you would remain an immigrant the four years of school time and you wouldn't even get it any time soon after graduation, while a marriage would gain you what you craved naturally and immediately. you got impeded by urgency more than idiocy imo.

CuckingFunt
12-08-2010, 08:30 PM
i dont get it.

Implying that everyone knows how to stimulate the clit?

Or that the clit is, in any way, involved in conception?

CuckingFunt
12-08-2010, 08:33 PM
drunks dont have the option to sober up before they start driving.

Um?

CuckingFunt
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Some do have babies for money.

They told you?

CuckingFunt
12-08-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up the obviously racist agenda in Turner's suggestion, in which the selling of birth rights will necessarily lead to more rich white babies and less poor brown ones.

Eco-eugenics as the path to voluntary long-term genocide. Yippee!!

Drachen
12-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm surprised that no one has yet brought up the obviously racist agenda in Turner's suggestion, in which the selling of birth rights will necessarily lead to more rich white babies and less poor brown ones.

Eco-eugenics as the path to voluntary long-term genocide. Yippee!!

Cucking, I think that you may have taken it a little too far. Who is most likely to decide not to have children? I don't have any data on this, but I would assume that the more educated a couple is, the more likely they are to decide not to have children. This seems like such a stretch that I have to ask: do you have some preconceived notion of Ted Turner being racist? Did he say something in the past to indicate this? (serious honest question)
(/serious)

I mean cmon, his hero wasn't white, his hero-team had an asian, a black person, a girl, and a brown person. The minorities out numbered the white guys (one of which was the villain).

CuckingFunt
12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Cucking, I think that you may have taken it a little too far. Who is most likely to decide not to have children? I don't have any data on this, but I would assume that the more educated a couple is, the more likely they are to decide not to have children. This seems like such a stretch that I have to ask: do you have some preconceived notion of Ted Turner being racist? Did he say something in the past to indicate this? (serious honest question)
(/serious)

I mean cmon, his hero wasn't white, his hero-team had an asian, a black person, a girl, and a brown person. The minorities out numbered the white guys (one of which was the villain).

Didn't intend to label Turner himself a racist, actually, but his plan would necessarily have racist implications if enacted.

And it doesn't matter who would be more likely to decide not to have children, really, but I think the people in your scenario would be more likely to continue practicing safe sex while holding onto their ability to have a kid in case they changed their minds. The people who would actually sell their birth rights are poor folks who need to pay the rent or keep their lights on a little longer. Ultimately, such a policy is one that favors the rich over the poor and, in this country, that's equivalent to favoring whites over everyone else.

BlairForceDejuan
12-08-2010, 09:03 PM
One child per couple policy? What!? We should be doing the opposite if we want to even the odds with China before resources run out.

Ladies...sup?

Wild Cobra
12-08-2010, 09:31 PM
They told you?
The ones doing it? No. I worked with the sister of one girl who made it the commonplace.

jack sommerset
12-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I am to lazy to start a thread and it's not worth one. I saw some sausage guy on Fox news a few days, maybe a week ago defend his company/factory for sausage making and he was pretty tired and mad at politicians saying something like "You don't want to know how the sausage is made " line. Pretty funny stuff.

frodo
12-08-2010, 10:45 PM
(/serious)

life is always easier for immigrants in the american society.

SnakeBoy
12-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Welcome to another fucked up agenda of the authoritarian left.

I don't think Ted Turner is the authoritarian left, he's just an idiot.