PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rodriguez: Ime Udoka: A Road Much Traveled

Spurs Brazil
12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
If any Spur can claim a more circuitous road-to-the-NBA story than 26-year-old rookie Gary Neal, it’s 33-year-old guard/forward Ime Udoka.

Neal came to San Antonio after stops in Turkey, Italy, Spain and the Las Vegas Summer League. Udoka made his NBA debut after minor league tours with the Charleston Lowgators, Adirondack Wildcats and the Fargo Moorhead-Beez, two surgeries on his right ACL and a night job loading boxes for Federal Express.

Have bag, will travel. That’s been Udoka’s calling card since he left Jefferson High in Portland, Ore. in 1995. Since then, he’s attended three colleges, played for two NBA Development League teams, one International Basketball Association club, one United States Basketball League squad, one club in Spain, another in France and five in the NBA.

Keep reading - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/101208_rodriguez.html

EricD
12-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Ime Udoka :The most irrelevant puzzle piece on the Spurs roster.

A whole article on Udoka?

What a waste of time.

wontstartdumbthreads
12-08-2010, 05:20 PM

What a waste of time.

Just because he doesn't get much PT doesnt mean Udoka doesn't have a good story. I'd rather read this than another boilerplate piece on Parker.

Darkwaters
12-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Udoka does have a great story. The best part is how he got his invitation to camp for the Blazers as an after thought and left camp as the team's starter at SF. Talk about a homecoming.

timtonymanu
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Rodriguez with another great write-up.

As much as I dislike Udoka's game, he seems like a very great person off the court.

Dex
12-08-2010, 06:10 PM
I was wondering how long it would take for one of these articles to surface.

Chico
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Anyone want to post the Udoka fight story for old times' sake?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Good story I guess

barbacoataco
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
He knows the Spurs system and with James Anderson injured there is a role for Udoka. The Spurs need to limit Manu's minutes and Udoka helps to do that even though he is mediocre at best.

Buddy Holly
12-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Udoka completely kills the Spurs the moment he steps out there. I can't for James Anderson to get back.

jag
12-08-2010, 11:21 PM

What a waste of time.

Did he fuck your mom or something?

spurs1990
12-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Did he fuck your mom or something?

His performance tonight was very much akin to parental violation.

crc21209
12-09-2010, 01:31 AM
A road much traveled huh? Well please Ime....hit the road then...:lol

ElNono
12-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Srsly Ken?

EricD
12-09-2010, 02:17 AM
If Kenny boy' is going to do a piece on Udoka, he might as well do a piece on Shawnelle Scott's brief nomadic career which happened to take a pit- stop in David Wood's/Wingate's old back-yard.

I'm sure I'll be just as flattered to read such a story.

Fireball
12-09-2010, 03:52 AM
the title of the artice remined me of Seinfeld: "Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason"

DMC
12-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Well everyone has a story. The scoreboard doesn't give a shit about your story.

benefactor
12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
The next chapter in the story should read, "Spurs waive Ime Udoka."

yavozerb
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Maybe once JA is healthy, but until then get used to seeing, Ime = 5 minutes, 0 pts, 1 rbd, and 3-4 fouls.

Ditty
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM

don't we all wish...unless someone is bought out, or a small foward is tearing up the d league. I don't see Ime being cut. I would be suprised ,and pissed if he is on the team at the end of the season :depressed

Mel_13
12-09-2010, 10:44 PM
If the Spurs don't waive Ime by Jan 5th then his contract becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season. It's extremely unlikely, borderline impossible, that Anderson will be ready to go by then. We probably won't see James until after the All-Star break.

Chances are that Ime is here for the entire season.

E-RockWill
12-09-2010, 11:12 PM
It's extremely unlikely, borderline impossible, that Anderson will be ready to go by then. We probably won't see James until after the All-Star break.

Give JA about another 3 weeks.

duncan228
12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Give JA about another 3 weeks.

Sounds like longer according to Pop.

Pop pregame w/James Anderson injury update. "It will still be several weeks before he'll be able to get on the court at all."

...Rookie swingman James Anderson is scheduled for another MRI exam on his injured right foot late this week but remains weeks away from getting back on the court, according to Popovich.

...“He’s working out in the pool, and they’re going to take another picture on Friday,” Popovich said.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/08/blair%e2%80%99s-double-double-sparks-spurs/

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167817

TD 21
12-09-2010, 11:36 PM
If the Spurs don't waive Ime by Jan 5th then his contract becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season. It's extremely unlikely, borderline impossible, that Anderson will be ready to go by then. We probably won't see James until after the All-Star break.

Chances are that Ime is here for the entire season.

Yeah, I thought the day he was signed he'd be around for the duration. Quinn probably will be, too. They're both veterans, one already knew the system and just needed a refresher course and the other has been in it for a bunch of weeks now.

From here on out, it doesn't make sense to bring in a project, who's not likely to make any more of an impact than these two and who'd be behind them as far as "corporate knowledge" goes.

At a certain point, continuity becomes more important than finding someone with more individual talent (particularly for a contender), when it comes to 12th and 13th roster spots. If they can't find a better sixth wing in the draft or for the minimum in free agency, then they can go back to trying out players like Green again next off season.

Here's the main reason Udoka was signed when he was signed, though...

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-101126-28/latest-trade-chatter

Ime Udoka replaced Danny Green on San Antonio's roster this week largely because Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, even in the midst of the best start in franchise history, wants to have a comfort level with everyone on the roster. Even the 13th man.

Udoka, though, will carry a mildly newsworthy distinction for as long as he lasts in San Antonio, no matter how little he plays.

Udoka, you see, is the last free agent signed for 2010-11 who can be included in a trade this season.

The NBA's annual trading deadline falls on Feb. 24. Since free agents can't be traded until 90 days after signing, any player signed after Nov. 24 can't be dealt. And Udoka, for the record, can only be moved on deadline day.

Free agents who signed in the summer are ineligible to be dealt until 90 days have passed or the arrival Dec. 15 ... whichever is later based on the date they signed.

E-RockWill
12-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Quinn probably will be, too.

The coaching staff seem to really like Quinn. I believe he'll stick around....

DMC
12-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Maybe once JA is healthy, but until then get used to seeing, Ime = 5 minutes, 0 pts, 1 rbd, and 3-4 fouls.

You forgot 2 TOs