PDA

View Full Version : Cyber War

Nbadan
12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Hacktivists have taken up The Wikileaks cause knocking down payments to Mastercard Online today and releasing a fake list of account-holder numbers

Web attacks on the Mastercard site have disrupted payments, the BBC has learnt.

The site is among several targeted by the Anonymous group of hackers, who have pledged to pursue firms that have withdrawn services from Wikileaks.

Mastercard, which stopped processing payments to the whistle-blowing site, said the attack had had "no impact" on people's ability to use their cards.

But the BBC has been contacted by a payment firm that said its customers had "a complete loss of service".

BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11935539)

This is, of course, in retaliation for Mastercard and Visa refusing to process payments to Wikileaks through paypal despite taking money from off-line gambling sites...hide your assests, this war could get interesting...

LnGrrrR
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't necessarily agree with that hacking. Of course, many hackers view themselves as rogue cowboys enforcing frontier justice on the wild wild web. I would guess that a majority of hackers self-identify as libertarian.

Nbadan
12-09-2010, 01:14 AM
Hacktivists take down paypal

Third finance-related Anonymous "Operation Payback" takedown in a single day: PayPal.com is effectively offline, moments after the command was tweeted. At the time of this blog post, the PayPal *service* is still functioning, but the site's dead. Earlier today, Visa.com and Mastercard.com were taken offline by Anonymous DDOS attacks, along with other targets perceived as enemies of Wikileaks and of online free speech... including Twitter.com, for a while.

boing boing (http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/08/in-pro-wikileaks-act.html)

baseline bum
12-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I hate the word hacker being used to describe chickenshit criminals. Its original meaning was to refer to a programmer with exceptional skill. It's sad that now the word is associated with script kiddies who think they're hot shit because they know what a buffer overflow is or how to jam a server with a billion SYNs.

Nbadan
12-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Hacktivists take down Lieberman's office...Joe Lieberman raised the prospect of prosecuting media organizations such as The New York Times for publishing WikiLeaks information, in a interview with Fox News. The New York Times reports: “I certainly believe that WikiLeaks has violated the Espionage Act, but then what about the news organizations — including The Times — that accepted it and distributed it?” Mr. Lieberman said, adding: “To me, The New York Times has committed at least an act of bad citizenship, and whether they have committed a crime, I think that bears a very intensive inquiry by the Justice Department.”

Anonymous group's Operation Payback has in the meantime taken down the websites of PostFinance, Senator Joe Lieberman's office, the Swedish prosecution office, and Mastercard. The group has vowed to "fire at anyone or anything that tries to censor WikiLeaks, including multi-billion dollar companies." Panda Labs has a good running update of the attacks so far.

Link (http://wlcentral.org/)

Nbadan
12-09-2010, 01:23 AM
I hate the word hacker being used to describe chickenshit criminals. Its original meaning was to refer to a programmer with exceptional skill. It's sad that now the word is associated with script kiddies who think they're hot shit because they know what a buffer overflow is or how to jam a server with a billion SYNs.

Sad but true, everything u need to do a DOS attack can be found on usenet...get in there and erase my mortgage balance and I'll be impressed

Nbadan
12-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Hey bum...look familiar?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs165.snc4/37571_1227178140151_1850006755_460197_4678047_n.jp g

Wild Cobra
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree. I was once a hacker.

But then the Geek zone here has anything but exceptionally smart people too. It seems to be a gaming section instead.

boutons_deux
12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Amazon share price plunges ahead of promised cyber ‘payback’ for WikiLeaks censorship

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/amazon-share-price-plunges-promised-cyber-payback-wikileaks-censorship/

LnGrrrR
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM

But then the Geek zone here has anything but exceptionally smart people too. It seems to be a gaming section instead.

What was your MOS? You seem to have been a jack of all trades.

LnGrrrR
12-09-2010, 12:56 PM

I agree there. A hacker shoudl refer to someone who can bypass some code, and not just brute force an attack.

lefty
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM

:lol

boutons_deux
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Feds hint at charges for WikiLeaks' Assange

Assange could be in legal jeopardy for disclosing classified information because he is "not a journalist."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20025082-281.html#ixzz17djqbvRU

The govt+corporate authoritarian Axis Powers are rolling full tilt to block the truth. They much prefer their Orwellian Minister of Truthiness.

CosmicCowboy
12-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Feds hint at charges for WikiLeaks' Assange

Assange could be in legal jeopardy for disclosing classified information because he is "not a journalist."

Damn

Good luck making THAT case.

The Reckoning
12-09-2010, 02:27 PM

we all know the real reason people get into programming. i learned java just so i could make a kickass battleship game.

Stringer_Bell
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM

While I think it's shit that "hackers" disrupted people's ability to use cards and make payments, I think it's very interesting to see how far they take this with regard to the mechanisms of control used in our society...credit, mortgages, etc. I mean, I don't think anyone expects them to blow up the internet or anything, but, yea.

baseline bum
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Hey bum...look familiar?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs165.snc4/37571_1227178140151_1850006755_460197_4678047_n.jp g

Is that the Beartooth Plateau, dan? Unfortunately the weather wasn't at all cooperative in the days I had planned to hike up there, so I ended up hiking the lower elevations in Yellowstone instead. Which lake is that?

baseline bum
12-09-2010, 05:23 PM
we all know the real reason people get into programming. i learned java just so i could make a kickass battleship game.

LOL, true. The only reason I took a first C class was so I could make my own tetris. Then I ended up liking it and added it as a major. :lol

Wild Cobra
12-09-2010, 05:31 PM
What was your MOS? You seem to have been a jack of all trades.
26V, later re-designated as 29V. It had nothing to do with computers, I did that on my own. leaned basic and assembler language.

Stratigic Microwave Systems Repairer. Just a parts changer at heart.