PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili has seen his star power grow

LilMissSPURfect
05-26-2005, 10:23 AM
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~6295~2888821,00.html

Ginobili has seen his star power grow

By The Cox News Service

PHOENIX -- The pasty guard with Samson's locks and J.K. Rowling's creativity has annexed the Western Conference finals. Manu Ginobili is so quick, so crafty, he's making Steve Nash and the running Suns look like they're going nowhere.

Ginobili, the Spurs' third-year wonder, has a contortionist's body and a venture capitalist's instincts. San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich used to try to rein in Ginobili until he realized it was like trying to corral a shooting star.

Tonight, the Suns couldn't stop Ginobili for trying. It's hard to describe, much less defend, the dagger that the Argentine delivered in the final frenetic minutes of the Spurs' 111-108 victory.

With Shawn Marion covering him, Ginobili maneuvered the ball behind his back and swooped under the hoop for a reverse layup. It was a beauty of a basket and part of a 7-0 run that turned a two-point Suns lead into a two-game Suns deficit in the best-of-seven series.

Ginobili started the run by feeding Robert Horry for an open three-pointer and chased his memorable shot with a routine -- for him -- 20-foot jumper. "We could not make a stop on Ginobili . . . in the last three, four minutes," said Suns coach Mike D'Antoni.

The Suns shot 56 percent from the field and lost because Ginobili just doesn't miss when it matters. He finished with 26 points Tuesday on 10-for-18 shooting.

For the series, he's 3-for-3 from the field in the fourth quarter. When the pressure gets suffocating, Ginobili cannot be smothered.

When asked about the layup that brought down the Suns, Ginobili said, "I just saw or thought that was the best opportunity for me." As casually as if he were describing a lane-change in traffic, he added: "They were very concerned on not giving me the left hand, so I just tried to go back to my right. It's not what I feel more comfortable doing, but I think I can, and that's what I tried."

Ginobili's mantra seems to be, if you can imagine it, you can make it.

He banked in a 52-foot shot in the Spurs' 121-114 win in Game 1, which didn't impress his teammate Tony Parker much. One time in practice, Parker explained, he watched Ginobili drop-kick the ball into the basket from midcourt.

"Yes," Ginobili said. "That was a highlight."

Ginobili, 27, has more shots than his countryman Guillermo Coria, the tennis player who graced last year's French Open final. Coria could triumph at Roland Garros this year and, still, the people back home in Argentina would greet each other by saying, "Did you watch the Ginobili game?"

That's what the Western Conference finals are in their eyes: Ginobili's games.

Which just goes to show how astute the Argentines are.

"He has been great for us, especially against these guys," said the Spurs' resplendent forward Tim Duncan. "His ability to slash to the basket and start finding people and make plays. He's so creative with that kind of play."

ObiwanGinobili
05-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Manus not afraid to try stuff out, I like that .. its what maeks him crazy, unpredictable.. and most of the time succesfull.
(of course there are times where its a total mistake, but i can take it!)

I can not say enough about this guy, he is a basketball god!

50 cent
05-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Ginobili's mantra seems to be, if you can imagine it, you can make it.

He banked in a 52-foot shot in the Spurs' 121-114 win in Game 1, which didn't impress his teammate Tony Parker much. One time in practice, Parker explained, he watched Ginobili drop-kick the ball into the basket from midcourt.

:lol

boutons
05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
resplendent: shining brilliantly : LUSTROUS

synonyms see SPLENDID

:) Yes, that's our Teemmee.

SpursWoman
05-26-2005, 12:49 PM
One time in practice, Parker explained, he watched Ginobili drop-kick the ball into the basket from midcourt.

Holy crap! :wow :lmao

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 01:00 PM
I'm looking forward to a season where Manu can play after getting a full summer of rest. Of course, I'm loving the seasons where Manu has played his tank empty in the summer and fought through an NBA schedule. But I just wonder sometimes what a full summer of rest might do for this guy.

WalterBenitez
05-26-2005, 01:06 PM
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101~6295~2888821,00.html

In a game, it would be 3 point?? LOL :angel

boutons
05-26-2005, 01:12 PM
"I'm looking forward to a season where Manu can play after getting a full summer of rest."

Manu came back very rested last autumn, saying he hadn't really done anything at all between Athens and training camp, and felt fantastic.

Then, if you remember or look back to how Manu was playing "fully rested" in early November, he had an incredible stretch of games. I remember him saying in one article around that time, questioned about his eye-catching start to the season and his exorbitant PPS, he said he couldn't keep that up all year, and by December he came back down to earth.

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 01:18 PM
"I'm looking forward to a season where Manu can play after getting a full summer of rest."

Manu came back very rested last autumn, saying he hadn't really done anything at all between Athens and training camp, and felt fantastic.

Then, if you remember or look back to how Manu was playing "fully rested" in early November, he had an incredible stretch of games. I remember him saying in one article around that time, questioned about his eye-catching start to the season and his exorbitant PPS, he said he couldn't keep that up all year, and by December he came back down to earth.

Sure, but one month's rest after a month of playing balls-to-the-wall for an Olympic medal isn't quite the same as three months devoted to resting, recovering, and conditioning for only an NBA season. I'd submit that what we saw in November was Manu with a month's rest, but the lull that followed was residue from a summer of basketball. I'm not saying that the results will be substantially different if Manu does nothing at all this summer (other than conditioning work), but I just wonder what he'll be like if he has no summer ball obligations and can save his body from that abuse.

boutons
05-26-2005, 01:26 PM
"playing balls-to-the-wall for an Olympic medal"

How many games did he play in the Olympics? 6 games? The Olympics is NOTHING compared to 2 weeks in the NBA.

His preceding NBA game was 3 months before that.

How many many months does a top, professional athelete in his prime years need to recover? and how long does his recovery sustain him once the season starts.

A comparable sport would be professional futbol, or professional bycycle racing.

If anyody needs April 15 to 1 November to recover, then he will again be run down within weeks after the season starts, just like Manu did.

MiNuS
05-26-2005, 01:30 PM
Sure, but one month's rest after a month of playing balls-to-the-wall for an Olympic medal isn't quite the same as three months devoted to resting, recovering, and conditioning for only an NBA season. I'd submit that what we saw in November was Manu with a month's rest, but the lull that followed was residue from a summer of basketball. I'm not saying that the results will be substantially different if Manu does nothing at all this summer (other than conditioning work), but I just wonder what he'll be like if he has no summer ball obligations and can save his body from that abuse.

Hey ALSO hasn't had time to go on a HONEYMOON! Enjoy LIFE and have a Ginobilito.

picnroll
05-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Argentina's coach was running notoriously hard practices, two a days, in preparation for the Olympics.

Manu over the summer will have a chance to work on his game. In the three years he's played for the Spurs his 3 point pecentage has gone from .345 to .359 to .376. Wouldn't surprise me to see it go over .400 and his three make him deadly setting up his drives. He's also added that Iceman finger roll. He's improved driving right. A summer of work on his game will make Manu even more spectacular.

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 01:45 PM
How many games did he play in the Olympics? 6 games? The Olympics is NOTHING compared to 2 weeks in the NBA.

His preceding NBA game was 3 months before that.

How many many months does a top, professional athelete in his prime years need to recover? and how long does his recovery sustain him once the season starts.

A comparable sport would be professional futbol, or professional bycycle racing.

If anyody needs April 15 to 1 November to recover, then he will again be run down within weeks after the season starts, just like Manu did.

I think there's also a cumulative effect that crops up. Manu hasn't had any significant downtime during any of the last 3 summers (at least). He competed for Argentina in each of those summers (Worlds, Olympic Qualifying, Olympics). As picnroll notes, the Argentinian preparation for those competitions was decidedly different than the American preparation, and Manu was the focal point of each of those teams.

It doesn't matter, IMO, that he's in the prime of his career -- the human body eventually needs some time to recover in order to give optimal performance. (cough, cough, Earl Campbell, cough, cough). I have a feeling that Manu's body would be well-served with some downtime this summer and a chance to recover from the rigors of playing basketball, in essence, year-round for the last 3 years.

And I just wonder if there isn't better to come from Manu as a result of his finally getting some rest.

tlongII
05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Can you say "contract renegotiation?"

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 01:56 PM
One time in practice, Parker explained, he watched Ginobili drop-kick the ball into the basket from midcourt.

Nice.

Well, aside from his coach running two-a-days on him, he didn't get a break either of the two previous summers, really, between the Spurs title and the World Championships I think he had a total of 2 weeks before they started practicing for the WCs.

But whatever, you are the same guy blaming Nazr for Qrich hitting threes and Nash burning TOny Parker the other night because his name wasn't Rose.

nkdlunch
05-26-2005, 02:04 PM

:wow

WalterBenitez
05-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey ALSO hasn't had time to go on a HONEYMOON! Enjoy LIFE and have a Ginobilito.

Ginobilito, does Spurs drafted that kid??? :rolleyes

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 02:37 PM

I can. But it really doesn't make any sense for Manu -- since his contract is guaranteed for the next 5 years, the only thing he could do is seek an extension on the end of his current contract (and, at most, that would likely be out to 2 additional years, perhaps at the max). He can't up the money in any of the next 5 years with the way this CBA is structured, and his contract won't be subject to the provisions of the next CBA. Besides, Manu likely took less money to stay in SA than he could have gotten elsewhere, so it's hard to say that the dude is about money. Given the status of his homeland's economy, he could probably buy the entire sovereign state of Argentina with the kind of jack he's pulling down.

So, while I can say "contract renegotiation," I'm absolutely sure that Manu won't be doing that.

MadDog73
05-26-2005, 02:42 PM

I don't get it. Isn't Manu set for like 6 years?

EDIT: oops. 5 years. I agree, I don't see it happening.

tlongII
05-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Ginobili is grossly underpaid.

samikeyp
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM

Been done before.

Billy Newton, Misty Oaks Park, 1984. :)

picnroll
05-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Any chance Darius or Randolph will hold out for "contract renegotiations". :lol

MadDog73
05-26-2005, 02:47 PM

But for Manu, I think it's more about the Championships than the money. Else he would have gone to Denver.

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 02:50 PM

No doubt. But he also knows that teaming up with Tim Duncan for a few years will make him a competitor for a title every year, which seems to be what he's after in the first place.

It's funny, though, that last summer, some thought the Spurs had overpaid for Manu, after Manu flirted with Denver and Phoenix.

MadDog73
05-26-2005, 03:11 PM
No doubt. But he also knows that teaming up with Tim Duncan for a few years will make him a competitor for a title every year, which seems to be what he's after in the first place.

It's funny, though, that last summer, some thought the Spurs had overpaid for Manu, after Manu flirted with Denver and Phoenix.

Not me. In fact, I thought most people were glad the Spurs were competitive in keeping Manu. It helped Holt lose some of that "cheap owner" baggage he was carrying.

EDIT: Man, can you imagine the insanity the Suns would cause if they had Manu?!?! Holy shit, they'd be practically unbeatable.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-26-2005, 03:15 PM

Maybe, but are you his agent?

Don't try to make people believe that there is a conflict where there is none. Manu is more than happy in SA because he wants to be in a competitive team that is a serious title contender every year, but since you are a Portland fan that must be hard to understand. :lol Only j/k

Jimcs50
05-26-2005, 03:53 PM
But for Manu, I think it's more about the Championships than the money. Else he would have gone to Denver.

Manu is not underpaid.

He makes a lot more money than I do and I do not play a game for a living.

I think Manu can feed his family with his paycheck, yes?

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Manu is not underpaid.

True enough.

Manu does, however, make far less than the free market would bear for his talents and abilities.

MadDog73
05-26-2005, 04:11 PM
Manu is not underpaid.

Oh, please. If NBA stars were content to make enough to live on, NO ONE would demand million dollar contracts. By your logic, Tim Duncan is "overpaid." Try telling him that...

If you want to get into a debate of how much NBA stars are paid, (which I agree, they are overpaid, but then, I'm not paying their salaries), that's a whole 'nother thread.

The fact is, Manu could be getting more from another team for what he does.

In fact, he probably could get A LOT more. And before people go "whoa, how much more?" I'm not just talking about his court skills (which in my opinion, are priceless), but the "buzz" that surrounds him. Manu is a "superstar" now (and yes, that term is overused), and teams will want him just to sell tickets. Especially with the fast pace of the "new" NBA, Manu's worth will continue to grow.

Spurs were smart to find him early, and lucky to keep him for what they are paying him.

Ginobili_20_gold_medalist
05-26-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm glad he's getting his due. I remember when watching the Spurs during the 2003 playoffs being impressed with Ginobili's game to the point that I thought he should be starting over Stephen Jackson. I told my friends/family "that guy is going to be a star one day" and they were like "What?!?". I was like look at him...everytime he comes in the game he makes things happen on both ends. I started following his career closely and I would get aggravated with Popovich's short leash on Manu because I knew he could break out if he was given some freedom. I think the Olympics was the best thing to happen for Ginobili. It's seemed to open Popovich's eyes of his total game and he finally let go of that leash. Now if only he could start playing him a little more...say 35 minutes a game ;)

cqsallie
05-26-2005, 11:29 PM
I think there's also a cumulative effect that crops up. Manu hasn't had any significant downtime during any of the last 3 summers (at least). He competed for Argentina in each of those summers (Worlds, Olympic Qualifying, Olympics). As picnroll notes, the Argentinian preparation for those competitions was decidedly different than the American preparation, and Manu was the focal point of each of those teams.

It doesn't matter, IMO, that he's in the prime of his career -- the human body eventually needs some time to recover in order to give optimal performance. (cough, cough, Earl Campbell, cough, cough). I have a feeling that Manu's body would be well-served with some downtime this summer and a chance to recover from the rigors of playing basketball, in essence, year-round for the last 3 years.

And I just wonder if there isn't better to come from Manu as a result of his finally getting some rest.

cqsallie
05-26-2005, 11:45 PM
That was not my post. Shit happens and it happened to me...
This is what I'd truly like to say: Emmanuel Ginobili is not your average guy. Because he's not your average guy, you can't apply average laws to him. He totally baffles me! Is he a fluke, or is this incredible talent a long-term thing?
My problem is that I've never been faced with such an outrageous talent before. You want to think that this awesome quickness, craftiness, explosiveness is a flash in the pan. How in hell could somebody this good keep it up?
But we are mere mortals. We recognize our limitations. We expect that every other human has the same limitations. Then along comes Manu Ginobili...
Ginobili is forcing us to rediscover ourselves and question the limitations we believe to exist. I'm as excited that a human has forced us to question our desire to limit other humans as I am that a fellow human has done a "Nah! Nah!" in our faces.
I love Manu Ginobili, even when he fails. He is so much more for trying than anyone else is for whining...

SequSpur
05-27-2005, 12:23 AM
Ginobili is the Number One on the Spurs. Duncan is now number two.

Late.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-27-2005, 01:04 AM

Late.

OMG, what are my eyes reading? Have you converted to the Ginobili church? Were you baptised? :lol

WalterBenitez
05-27-2005, 08:15 AM

Late.

Hummm Manu was MPV in almost every competition he was in, but ... better than TD, wow ... so much .. so early, perhaps in this moment Manu is doing some "things", but as he said ... "DO NOT forget I play next to TD, TP and the rest of Spurs"

smeagol
05-27-2005, 08:51 AM

Late.
You should then change your sig to "Without Duncan and Ginobili, we are fucked"

Anyways, welcome back from the Dark Side.

Vashner
05-27-2005, 08:51 AM
The other day I thought .. man he's playing like Jordan...

beirmeistr
05-27-2005, 09:13 AM
I am glad that he is a Spur. And I hope all this newly-found stardom (in the rest of the U.S.) guarantees that he remain a starter. I think fans want to see a star from the beginning of a game. And he does not have an ego problem so I am sure that he would not want to be involved in a controversy as to who is no. 1. He stated after game 2 that Duncan was the best player on the team and we know that Tim is no. 1.
But Manu is a great no. 2.

angel_luv
05-27-2005, 09:19 AM
He's Super Man-u ( better what out Suns!)

TMTTRIO
05-27-2005, 10:06 AM
On the news the other night they showed him on the front cover of ESPN the magazine. Do ya'll know when that issue comes out? :)

angel_luv
05-27-2005, 10:43 AM
I believe it is June... so hopefully any time now.
I saw the cover in the paper. Looks awesome. Hey, have you guys seen our terrific trio on the cover of Slam yet?
I highly recommend buying it. The article about us is full of our quotes as is one of the most enjoyable ones I have ever read.

JoeChalupa
05-27-2005, 10:46 AM
Manu will become an endorsement King. Kids and Chicks love him.

WalterBenitez
05-27-2005, 10:47 AM
I believe it is June... so hopefully any time now.
I saw the cover in the paper. Looks awesome. Hey, have you guys seen our terrific trio on the cover of Slam yet?
I highly recommend buying it. The article about us is full of our quotes as is one of the most enjoyable ones I have ever read.

Nope available here, post a pic

SpursFanInAustin
05-27-2005, 10:58 AM

Late.

But I thought Manu = Manure?

Athenea
05-27-2005, 11:42 AM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dpacheco/spurs/cover_espn.JPG
link to pic (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dpacheco/spurs/cover_espn.JPG)
tnx to Kidd 91, from another forum :elephant

WalterBenitez
05-27-2005, 11:50 AM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dpacheco/spurs/cover_espn.JPG
link to pic (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/dpacheco/spurs/cover_espn.JPG)
tnx to Kidd 91, from another forum :elephant

tnx!!!