PDA

View Full Version : What is a good part time job for a student?

4>0rings
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM
That is not in the food business and requires minimal brain output. Was thinking HEB or Home Depot. Anything else?

Soul_Patch
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Bestbuy. They have some sick discounts for employees.

desflood
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
A while back I heard that Avis (the car rental place) is hiring people for detailing. Not sure if they still are, but you might look into it. What's easier than cleaning cars?

Johnson
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
male gigolo? not sure how you get in the biz though...

ashbeeigh
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Have you looked on campus? On campus stuff is pretty good with working around your schedule.

DeadlyDynasty
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
male or female?

RandomGuy
12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
That is not in the food business and requires minimal brain output. Was thinking HEB or Home Depot. Anything else?

A good security job. If you can find an outfit that baby-sits empty buildings at night, you are golden.

Sit for 45 mins, walk around for 15 mins, write down "nothing happened" in the log, and repeat 8 times. Total study time: 5-6 hours per day, total time spent "working" 2-3 hours of mild exercise.

Pay is lousy, and you have to fit in some sleep sometime during the day, but you can work 40 hours easily as a student, and that makes up for the lower pay. The study time is golden though. The type of job that brings your GPA UP if you work more.

ALVAREZ6
12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
LOL, anywhere you can find one my friend

The Reckoning
12-09-2010, 01:20 PM
apply at the school rec center. better yet, find an internship that is related with what you want to do after school.

dirk4mvp
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM
selling drugs to the mookie crew.

phxspurfan
12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Telemarketing, temp agencies, filing, data entry

Blake
12-09-2010, 01:37 PM
if you have a reliable car, pizza delivery

you don't really handle the food aside from just picking it up and driving off with it.

I did it in college and I'd do it again as a second job if I ever needed it.

Blake
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM

he said part time

RandomGuy
12-09-2010, 01:40 PM
if you have a reliable car, pizza delivery

you don't really handle the food aside from just picking it up and driving off with it.

I did it in college and I'd do it again as a second job if I ever needed it.

I dunno.

It never seemed to me that was worth the wear/tear/gas.

Unless they pay you mileage, I wouldn't do that stuff with my own car.

Figure you are spending 40-50 cents per mile and subtract that from your earnings.

Unless of course mom and dad are providing the car, its fuel/maint/insurance AND replacement, then go for it.

Remember kids, the largest expense of operating a car is replacing it after it gets worn out. The more you drive it, the sooner that happens, so replacement costs get tied to miles driven.

Blake
12-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I dunno.

It never seemed to me that was worth the wear/tear/gas.

Unless they pay you mileage, I wouldn't do that stuff with my own car.

Figure you are spending 40-50 cents per mile and subtract that from your earnings.

Unless of course mom and dad are providing the car, its fuel/maint/insurance AND replacement, then go for it.

Remember kids, the largest expense of operating a car is replacing it after it gets worn out. The more you drive it, the sooner that happens, so replacement costs get tied to miles driven.

1000 miles a month is low for most people.

50 cents a mile/1000 miles is $500. I don't know anyone that spends $500 maintenance on their cars per month.

At the time I did it, Dominos paid minimum wage per hour, plus $1 per delivery. Then you got tips, on a good day around $2 per run.

Say about 3(?) deliveries per hour?

$6 (? I forget mininum wage) + $3 + $6 tips = $15 per hour

If you have an old dependable car, it's the easiest part time money you can make, imo. I don't recall how many miles per shift I put on car, but I don't remember being that many.

MannyIsGod
12-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Anything on campus will likely be easy and they will be awesome with working around your schedule but the pay the pay will probably blow. Off campus jobs will probably get you more money but the scheduling will be less flexible.

RandomGuy
12-09-2010, 02:10 PM

50 cents a mile/1000 miles is $500. I don't know anyone that spends $500 maintenance on their cars per month.

At the time I did it, Dominos paid minimum wage per hour, plus $1 per delivery. Then you got tips, on a good day around $2 per run.

If you have an old dependable car, it's the easiest part time money you can make, imo. I don't recall how many miles per shift I put on car, but I don't remember being that many.

True Cost to Own (TCO):Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership
@ Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/true-cost-to-own-tco.html?articleid=59897&)

That 50 cents per mile is not strictly maintenance. It includes depreciation (i.e. replacement factor), financing, insurance, fuel, everything.

The compenent breakdown does more like this:

Go here and toodle around with a few cars:
http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corolla/2010/tco.html?style=101140840

You will notice THE single largest cost is almost invariably depreciation.

That 50 cents per mile is the US auto fleet average as calculated by the IRS. If your car is smaller than average, you will probably have lower costs.

Ignignokt
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM

:lmao

RandomGuy
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM

$15 per hour minus, say, 40 cents per mile.

15 miles per hour, say? Subtract 6 bucks in operating costs. A bit closer to $9 per hour, before taxes.

You might not consider the replacement costs in your cash flows at the time, but you are pushing your car a few steps closer to having to replace it. Take the longer view, and it seems less attractive than it might first appear.

Still, money is money, and if it is what is available, go for it, just keep the costs in the back of your mind.

Blake
12-09-2010, 03:02 PM
You will notice THE single largest cost is almost invariably depreciation.

I figured as much. I never implied using a new(er) car.

I did it for 2 years while in school and I still sold my car with over 200k miles and about an extra 40-50k put on from the job. The car value difference between 230k and 180k miles on my toyota was practically nothing.

sa_butta
12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Donate plasma.

AmericanWoman
12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Walk dogs.

Blake
12-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Donate plasma.

don't know if still there or not, but in Lubbock, there is/was a plasma donation center across the street from campus, right next door to a bar (Bash's for those that know).

It seemed like we got drunk much faster after giving the plasma.

fatsack
12-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Heb

Chachachango
12-09-2010, 06:40 PM
True about the security job. I work for a security company and work four days and get three days off. If you have a computer and internet access you're set. I use my Evo for internet. You get time to study and it's perfect when it comes to research papers. No one bathers you and you don't need any supervision unless they put you in a place where you have to work with others.

Sisk
12-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Work at a wireless service provider:

T-mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint

CuckingFunt
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Anything on campus will likely be easy and they will be awesome with working around your schedule but the pay the pay will probably blow. Off campus jobs will probably get you more money but the scheduling will be less flexible.

Likely not even worth considering unless you have work study as part of your financial aid, though. Students with work study have first crack at almost all campus jobs, and, depending on the school, everything left over is likely to remain unstaffed for budget reasons.

Considering current job market and economy fun stuff, the best part time job you can get as a student is any part time job you can get.

4>0rings
12-09-2010, 09:03 PM
True about the security job. I work for a security company and work four days and get three days off. If you have a computer and internet access you're set. I use my Evo for internet. You get time to study and it's perfect when it comes to research papers. No one bathers you and you don't need any supervision unless they put you in a place where you have to work with others.
Where would one go for a part time security position? Do I have to provide my own ride?

RandomGuy
12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Where would one go for a part time security position? Do I have to provide my own ride?

Best thing to do would be to look in the phone book. I worked for a small to middle size company in Austin, so I have little idea what is available in San Antonio. I imagine it has the full range of outfits, from the large to the small.

Be sure to be honest about the types of posting you are looking for, if you go this route.

You will have to provide your own vehicle to get to and from work, as with just about any job.

One thing though: you have to get registered with DPS and have your fingerprints taken, as well as pass a really easy test. The company will also likely do a brief background check as well.

The larger the outfit is, the more likely it will have something that suits you, and the smaller outfits are likely to be the most flexible in terms of working with you.

Security work, due to the low skill level, does tend to attract a lot of people with poor work habits. It doesn't take much to stand out as a good prospect. Show up on time, be conscientious and smart about the job, and you have a bit more leverage to ask for good assignments.

If you go to a job interview, be sure to ask THEM a question or two, and this goes for ANY job. Do a bit of research, and ask a few relevant questions about the company during the course of an interview. You would be surprised at how much this impresses people.

Wild Cobra
12-10-2010, 02:33 PM
What is a good part time job for a student?
Delivering pizza's, waiter, or something else that pays in tips. Part time job with flexible hours.

lazerelmo
12-10-2010, 02:39 PM
A good security job. If you can find an outfit that baby-sits empty buildings at night, you are golden.

Sit for 45 mins, walk around for 15 mins, write down "nothing happened" in the log, and repeat 8 times. Total study time: 5-6 hours per day, total time spent "working" 2-3 hours of mild exercise.

Pay is lousy, and you have to fit in some sleep sometime during the day, but you can work 40 hours easily as a student, and that makes up for the lower pay. The study time is golden though. The type of job that brings your GPA UP if you work more.

this is it. Also, if you work the hi-rises bring a nerf hoop and some binoculars.....You know as a security precaution for when your checking the roof.....

sa_butta
12-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Delivering pizza's, waiter, or something else that pays in tips. Part time job with flexible hours.
Get a TABC and be a bartender...alot of places will actually train..