PDA

View Full Version : After troubled past, undrafted guard Neal earns respect of Spurs

duncan228
12-09-2010, 12:54 PM
After troubled past, undrafted guard Neal earns respect of Spurs (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/lee_jenkins/12/09/gary.neal.spurs/index.html?eref=si_writers)
Lee Jenkins
SI.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Sometimes Gary Neal forgets he is in the NBA, and assumes he is still in Turkey or Italy or Spain, trying to raise a family an ocean away. Then he sees out of the corner of his eye the Spurs' highlights on television, a figure in black and silver who looks an awful lot like himself, and he recognizes that his whole improbable journey is real.

"I know we're a couple months into the season, but honestly it hasn't sunk in yet," Neal said. "I feel like I've been on a roller coaster that hasn't stopped."

He pauses for a moment to consider the metaphor. This is not a roller coaster he's on. It's a rocket ship.

Last spring, Neal finished his third season of professional basketball. He had never been in the NBA, never been to the NBA summer league, never even attended an NBA minicamp. The closest he came to the league were a few predraft workouts coming out of Towson University in 2007. "But those weren't serious," Neal said. "They were bringing me in to work out with the guy they really wanted to see."

Many American players have spent a year overseas and still made it back to the NBA. Some have spent two years and pulled it off. Neal spent three, understanding that the stigma would be too much to overcome. He was at peace with it. The money was good. The lifestyle was fine.

Then Neal got engaged last year and began to think about starting a family. "I didn't want to be off somewhere in Russia while they were here," he said. He asked his agent to contact NBA teams and the Spurs invited him to a free-agent camp in the summer. With their vast international network, the Spurs knew that Neal was an NBA-caliber three-point shooter who would be willing to accept a limited role, but they didn't know much else. "He wasn't hugely on our radar," coach Gregg Popovich said. "He just came to fill out the group."

Popovich watched Neal fight through screens and began to think of him as a potential Eddie House, an undersized but rugged shooting guard who could bring instant energy off the bench. The Spurs asked Neal to summer league and watched in amazement as he shot 50 percent from three-point range. "We didn't want to screw around after that," Popovich said. They awarded Neal a three-year deal and pegged him as a potential replacement for the departed Roger Mason and Keith Bogans.

The Spurs have the best record in the NBA, 18-3, which they attribute mainly to their sped-up offense. Their headliners, as always, remain the same. In fact, Neal has arguably been the most significant roster addition since last season, when the Spurs were the seventh seed in the Western Conference. Their celebrated import this season was supposed to be power forward Tiago Splitter, but Neal is playing more minutes (15.9) than Splitter and scoring more points (6.6). He has cooled down from summer league, but not by much, still shooting a blistering 42.6 percent from three-point range. He scored 16 points against the Clippers, made five three-pointers in Charlotte and sank three free throws to force overtime in Minnesota. "That's when I really felt like part of the team," Neal said.

When Popovich talks about Neal, he flashes back to Jaren Jackson, another undrafted shooting guard who played for five teams in the CBA and even made a stop in the World Basketball League before landing in San Antonio and helping the Spurs to their first championship in 1999.

"We look for that kind of guy," Popovich said. "Maybe they tried and failed, or never got a shot, and they are at that time of their life when they really want to prove something. Those players can be very valuable to a locker room."

Neal grew up in Baltimore, playing on the same AAU team as Carmelo Anthony, and he went to La Salle as a point guard. The first week of his freshman year, the starting shooting guard was injured, and Neal spent hours between classes honing his shot with a ball machine in the gym. He made himself into a marksman, but after his sophomore season, a 19-year-old woman accused Neal and a teammate of rape. Though Neal was acquitted, La Salle kicked him out of school and he had to take out student loans to enroll at Towson. Neal scored 25.3 points per game as a senior, fourth in the nation, but Towson never sniffed the NCAA tournament and NBA teams stayed away from Neal at the draft. He still doesn't know how much of their reluctance was due to the charges against him.

The Spurs do not often sign players who have been in trouble, but they also do not often reject players prematurely. They view Europe as a place where raw Americans can be developed, not discarded, and if development takes three years, then they can wait.

After researching, interviewing and observing Gary Neal, the Spurs concluded that his time had come, even if he wasn't so sure. "I can't lie," he said. "I couldn't have predicted this." He is now part of the rotation for the best team in the NBA, lobbing questions at Tim Duncan and getting answers. Neal's wife lives with him in San Antonio, and when asked about the family he hopes to start, he said: "We're working on that now."

As he spoke, video of a recent game flickered on the big-screen television in front of the Spurs' locker room, one more high-definition reminder that he is here after all.

HarlemHeat37
12-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Interesting, good read..I had never heard of this "troubled past" until reading this..anybody want to elaborate?..

Bender
12-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I had never heard of this "troubled past" until reading this..
:lol yeah sure...

but the truth is, that I'm sure there are many casual spurs fans who don't know about it, and the constant mentioning of it in the media will probably go on forever...

ElNono
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Interesting, good read..I had never heard of this "troubled past" until reading this..anybody want to elaborate?..

Let us proceed...

tee,hee

boutons_deux
12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Neal's headline will always be the rape story, not his game. Rape sells everywhere, only a few fans care about his game.

Old School 44
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Popovich watched Neal fight through screens and began to think of him as a potential Eddie House, an undersized but rugged shooting guard who could bring instant energy off the bench. The Spurs asked Neal to summer league and watched in amazement as he shot 50 percent from three-point range. "We didn't want to screw around after that," Popovich said. They awarded Neal a three-year deal and pegged him as a potential replacement for the departed Roger Mason and Keith Bogans.

This kind of says it all for me and the future of Gary Neal.
Have the Spurs ever signed any other virtual unknown so quick?

urunobili
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Neal is the real deal :tu

tdunk21
12-09-2010, 01:58 PM
dude better show up in the playoffs when really needed....i hope he wont become like the great roger mason jr

tdunk21
12-09-2010, 01:59 PM
gary "the real deal" neal

DesignatedT
12-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Definitely rooting for this guy. I hope he can keep up the good work.

Jason R
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
dude better show up in the playoffs when really needed....i hope he wont become like the great roger mason jr

RMJ's shooting came as a bit of a surprise. Neal's not so much.

Borosai
12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
After troubled past, undrafted guard Neal earns respect of Spurs (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/lee_jenkins/12/09/gary.neal.spurs/index.html?eref=si_writers)
Lee Jenkins
SI.com

He pauses for a moment to consider the metaphor. This is not a roller coaster he's on. It's a rocket ship.

This guy gets it.

Mr. Body
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Didn't realize how fortuitious his spot on the team is. Almost literally came out of nowhere, a longshot.

I like that he's coldblooded. He'll keep shooting, which is what we need.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-09-2010, 02:50 PM
If he can keep playing like this Pop might develop a man crush of Findog proportions.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/98954903_7386ca7106.jpg

Fpoonsie
12-09-2010, 02:57 PM
If he can keep playing like this Pop might develop a man crush of Findog proportions.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/98954903_7386ca7106.jpg

:rollin

Fpoonsie
12-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Neal's wife lives with him in San Antonio, and when asked about the family he hopes to start, he said: "We're working on that now."

...whether she wants to or not.

tee, hee

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Nice article

8FOR!3
12-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Troubled past...Is it because he's black?

YoMamaIsCallin
12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Geez, people, he was FOUND NOT GUILTY by a JURY. The essence is that, after the encounter, the woman had regrets and decided she had been too drunk to consent. The jury didn't agree. That's it.

Moral of the story? Don't have sex with a drunk woman. Because she may come back at you later. But can we quit all the "rape" stuff? It wasn't rape. That was decided by a court of law and a jury.

buttsR4rebounding
12-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Neal's wife lives with him in San Antonio, and when asked about the family he hopes to start, he said: "We're working on that now."

Better keep her away from Tony...:hat

DMC
12-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I like that he's coldblooded.

Aren't most rapists?

j/k

LeCrab
12-09-2010, 04:47 PM
For those of you who don't know Gary neal grew up in a bad area of baltimore

tdunk21
12-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Aren't most rapists?

j/k

fail........:vomit:

Mugen
12-09-2010, 04:56 PM
after Kobe, rape jokes are getting pretty old and lame.

train jokes are still very much welcome, tho.

12-09-2010, 05:06 PM
not guilty!

Spurs Brazil
12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Great read.

Neal has been a great surprise this season, playing very well

Samr
12-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was HIGHLY skeptical of the three-year deal. I remember first reading it about on here, and all I kept thinking was: there has to be a catch to this, creative contract structuring, impossible incentives to activate 2nd and 3rd year guarantees, team options bi-weekly, SOMETHING.

You just flat don't sign a player to a 3-year deal after a few good seasons in Europe and a decent summer league showing. Darko had a few good seasons in europe; didn't the league learn their lesson?

Assuming he works out -- and from all appearances, he will -- then Pop and Buford have to get some kind of award. If he keeps going even like this, at the end of his contract, his deal is going to look mighty sweet.

lurker23
12-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I'll be the first to admit I was HIGHLY skeptical of the three-year deal. I remember first reading it about on here, and all I kept thinking was: there has to be a catch to this, creative contract structuring, impossible incentives to activate 2nd and 3rd year guarantees, team options bi-weekly, SOMETHING.

There is. 2nd and 3rd year fully unguaranteed, minimum money.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages/data/salaries/spurs.jsp

Interrohater
12-09-2010, 06:25 PM
I assume that he trained a lot in europe... I just hope that he stays on track and doesn't lose steam...

objective
12-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the SI author has it incorrect. My understanding was that Neal was never even charged. So while it ultimately resulted in Neal being a free man, there is a difference between going to a trial and not having charges brought.

Em-City
12-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I just hope that he stays on track and doesn't lose steam...

hehe...

i chuckled

wildbill2u
12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Rapists are sexual predators who never stop their assaults and cannot be rehabilitated. As far as we know, Neal has never had any additional scandal attached to his name.

A jury found him innocent--something of a rarity in charges of rape against a black man--and a pretty good indication that the charges weren't believeable.

I think it is in very bad taste and pointless for so-called Spurs 'fans' to continue with this 'choo choo' business against one of our players in the light of the above.

Give it a rest, morons.

Mel_13
12-09-2010, 06:48 PM
I could be wrong, but I think the SI author has it incorrect. My understanding was that Neal was never even charged. So while it ultimately resulted in Neal being a free man, there is a difference between going to a trial and not having charges brought.

He was charged, put on trial, and found Not Guilty of four separate charges including rape.

Official Court Record:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CourtSummaryReport.aspx?matterID=104219525

concken
12-09-2010, 06:54 PM
He was charged, put on trial, and found Not Guilty of four separate charges including rape.

Official Court Record:

http://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/CourtSummaryReport.aspx?matterID=104219525

daaaammnn, anything can be found on the internet these days.

objective
12-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Official Court Record:

My mistake, I stand corrected.

benefactor
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm pulling for him...and I'd compare him more to Jack than RMJ. Kid plays hard and is fearless.

NASpurs
12-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Rapists are sexual predators who never stop their assaults and cannot be rehabilitated. As far as we know, Neal has never had any additional scandal attached to his name.

A jury found him innocent--something of a rarity in charges of rape against a black man--and a pretty good indication that the charges weren't believeable.

I think it is in very bad taste and pointless for so-called Spurs 'fans' to continue with this 'choo choo' business against one of our players in the light of the above.

Give it a rest, morons.

Except anyone with half a brain knows that he ran train on a girl with a buddy but that doesn't mean he raped someone. So choo choo on.

Capt Bringdown
12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
"We look for that kind of guy," Popovich said. "Maybe they tried and failed, or never got a shot, and they are at that time of their life when they really want to prove something. Those players can be very valuable to a locker room."

Love that quote. I hope Neal can maintain the fire and hunger.

pawe
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Neal with it!

mingus
12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah Neal isn't comparable to RMJ. RMJ didn't have any midrange game. Neal has a floater that is money. He's also a much better defender.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-09-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, Neal has been looking pretty good so far in the regular season. Please show up in the playoffs.

TD 21
12-09-2010, 10:06 PM

You just flat don't sign a player to a 3-year deal after a few good seasons in Europe and a decent summer league showing. Darko had a few good seasons in europe; didn't the league learn their lesson?

Assuming he works out -- and from all appearances, he will -- then Pop and Buford have to get some kind of award. If he keeps going even like this, at the end of his contract, his deal is going to look mighty sweet.

Then the Spurs are already two deep at every position going into next season...

PF- Blair/Bonner
SF- Jefferson/Anderson
C- Duncan/Splitter
SG- Ginobili/Neal
PG- Parker/Hill

If they stay at 13, all they'll need to do is get a fifth big, a sixth wing (counting Hill as a wing) and a third point.

The 1st round pick should take care of one of the holes, the 2nd round pick might take care of another, which would leave only 1-2 relatively minor holes to take care of in free agency.

As for Neal, I'm with benefactor on this one. He's playing the same role as the Spurs intended for Mason to play and the comparison isn't terrible, but he's a more rugged, fearless player. He competes harder defensively and has a nice floater that he utilizes when he get's run off the three-point line.

rmt
12-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Then the Spurs are already two deep at every position going into next season...

PF- Blair/Bonner
SF- Jefferson/Anderson
C- Duncan/Splitter
SG- Ginobili/Neal
PG- Parker/Hill

If they stay at 13, all they'll need to do is get a fifth big, a sixth wing (counting Hill as a wing) and a third point.

The 1st round pick should take care of one of the holes, the 2nd round pick might take care of another, which would leave only 1-2 relatively minor holes to take care of in free agency.

As for Neal, I'm with benefactor on this one. He's playing the same role as the Spurs intended for Mason to play and the comparison isn't terrible, but he's a more rugged, fearless player. He competes harder defensively and has a nice floater that he utilizes when he get's run off the three-point line.

I'm hoping Anderson will work out well (and show it this year) so that they can draft use the first round pick on an athletic big next year. Dice is going to leave a hole when he leaves. Someone's going to have to guard Dirk.

DeadlyDynasty
12-09-2010, 10:44 PM
He RAPEDPeriod.

TD 21
12-09-2010, 11:15 PM
I'm hoping Anderson will work out well (and show it this year) so that they can draft use the first round pick on an athletic big next year. Dice is going to leave a hole when he leaves. Someone's going to have to guard Dirk.

I'm confident Anderson will work out well.

What the Spurs need more than anything is a combo forward. A guy who, at the very least should merit consideration, is Clark.

Even if they draft an athletic big, it's probably not very likely that player steps right in and ends up guarding Nowitzki.

Yorae
12-09-2010, 11:33 PM
He RAPED me Period.

Betya enjoyed it.

TE
12-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Hopefully he keeps his play. In all honesty, I think he will.

Dude is too fundamentally sound not to. Replacing the pathetic crap that Roger Mason displayed on the court with Neal is like hitting the jackpot.

Roger Freemason Jr.
12-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Let us not forget that we also have another 6'11 big in Ryan Richards. I have a gut feeling that Richards is another gem that only R.C and Pop could see shine. & don't worry about Anderson, that kid is here to play, and play hard. I guarantee that Anderson/Neal/& Tiago will all step up in the playoffs.

wildbill2u
12-10-2010, 12:34 AM
Mason had no hands, couldn't drive, and was prone to lose the ball on the dribble. Neal has those skills.

ginobilized
12-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Neal has played with great intensity and swagger for an NBA rookie. He fights through screens well, is not afraid of contact, is vocal on the court and shoots well. Mario Elie mach 2.

ohmwrecker
12-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Gary Neal is a karmic gift to the Spurs and their fans for suffering through The Great Bogans/Mason Fiasco.

VBM
12-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Official Court Record:

http://cdn1.newsone.com/files/2010/06/oj-simpson-smiling-murder-trial.jpg

teehee

Borosai
12-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Wuz1lftsql8

lil'mo
12-10-2010, 02:44 AM
That bitch wasn't raped!

Cessation
12-10-2010, 03:11 AM
...whether she wants to or not.

tee, hee

lol +1

awktalk
12-10-2010, 03:23 AM
Gary Neal is the Julian Assange of the NBA

sa_butta
12-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I just gave Gary Neal an air dap...keep up the good work brah.