PDA

View Full Version : The Sing-Off

benefactor
12-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Anyone been watching? There are some extremely talented groups this year. I have to say that I feel it has ended already...because these guys are not losing.

Y29elzFXj88

They are so old school with their style. It takes me back to Shai, Boyz II Men and all the other great accapella style groups of the 90's.

SpursWoman
12-10-2010, 07:48 AM
They are my favorite by far. :)

benefactor
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
New season started last night. Lots of talent there but nothing mind blowing yet. Several of last year's groups could beat any of the first 8 they showed. We'll see how the next 8 groups look on Monday.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
No

Spurminator
09-20-2011, 09:55 AM
New season started last night. Lots of talent there but nothing mind blowing yet. Several of last year's groups could beat any of the first 8 they showed. We'll see how the next 8 groups look on Monday.

I thought the all-girl group was pretty awesome. That was the one that wowed me the most. There were other really good groups with a lot of potential, but I didn't necessarily like all the songs they picked.

JoeChalupa
09-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Someone needs to just create a "Talent Show" Network for all these shows. Or start carrying them on the Game Show Network.

stretch
09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought it was bullshit that the Cat's Pajamas got voted off. They were WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than that group with the rapper, or Kinfolk 9 with that singer who basically got his group to stay by whining about how hard his life was in the preceding video.

stretch
09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I thought the all-girl group was pretty awesome. That was the one that wowed me the most. There were other really good groups with a lot of potential, but I didn't necessarily like all the songs they picked.

them and the BYU (lol mormons) group were both very impressive to me.

benefactor
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I thought it was bullshit that the Cat's Pajamas got voted off. They were WAYYYYYYYYYYY better than that group with the rapper, or Kinfolk 9 with that singer who basically got his group to stay by whining about how hard his life was in the preceding video.
Yeah...it was a sympathy move. I told my wife it was going to happen before it happened. The only reason they got to stay is because Cat's Pajamas could go back to Branson and continue to make plenty of cash...while the other group pretty much stays broke.

benefactor
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
The girl group will probably make the final four. They were the most talented of the first 8 and have the advantage of having members that have been there before.

stretch
09-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Yeah...it was a sympathy move. I told my wife it was going to happen before it happened. The only reason they got to stay is because Cat's Pajamas could go back to Branson and continue to make plenty of cash...while the other group pretty much stays broke.

Honestly, I thought the Cat's Pajamas were one of the 3 best groups that performed, along with the all-girl group and the BYU group.

benefactor
09-27-2011, 05:52 AM
I don't care for this song at all...but based solely on performance these guys are the early favorite. Solid vocals and blend, great bass and a drum machine that kicks ass.

Qhey4HQYx6U

stretch
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I don't care for this song at all...but based solely on performance these guys are the early favorite. Solid vocals and blend, great bass and a drum machine that kicks ass.

Qhey4HQYx6U

I wasnt that big a fan of them. They didnt suck or do anything poorly, but they just didnt wow me, other than the beat boxer. They didnt really have a full sound to their group, it was just drums, bass, and soprano vocals. nothing in-between.

I think the BYU group impressed me the most so far.

benefactor
09-28-2011, 05:54 AM
You don't think so? I think they have nice balance...and they are marketable. That seems to be playing a lot into the decision making so far.

stretch
11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
turns out you were correct Benfactor. Pentatonix is looking like the favorite to me. Although I think Dartmouth Aires are going to give them a great run. Their lead singer is definitely going to be getting some crazy attention after what he has done. He's been awesome.

TheMACHINE
11-22-2011, 02:44 PM
This season kicks both of the last seasons ass.

stretch
11-22-2011, 03:34 PM
this is my first season watching, i havent seen the previous two. but i have really enjoyed it.

benefactor
11-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Was going to bump this thread...beat me to it.

This season kicks both of the last seasons ass.
Season one...yes. Season two...I don't think so. Committed or Street Corner Symphony could probably beat any of these three teams. I will say that this season is probably better from an overall depth perspective.

I could tell from the first performance that Penatonix was going to be a contender. The blend of the two guys and the girl mixed with a near perfect bass and drum backup allows them to do pretty much anything and do it well. Can't believe the three main singers are only 19.

I like the Ares a lot. The lead singer for them(I think his name is Michael) is a fucking boss. I wouldn't be suprised if there are record execs there in the audience that try to talk to him before he even makes it out of the building.

The rap-acapella team won't win, but I think they will wind up with a record deal too because of their marketability. They have a style that's popular right now...as you see a lot of rappers teaming up with singers on duets.

One thing is for sure...this show blows X-Factor out of the water. It's probably the best singing show out right now.

stretch
11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I'd say Pentatonix looks like the current favorites. But the Aires Queen Medley was the best performance of the season. I got goosebumps when I saw it.

X9PHMklaqwo

and then when they did it last night and Michael held that note for a fucking hour... just amazing. I told my wife right before the faceoff started, that Afro would do that American Boy song and do really well, then Michael would completely go off on that Queen song and kick their ass.

kG_q4d6uRPk

TheMACHINE
11-22-2011, 06:00 PM
I like Commited, but i think Penta's originality along with the beat boxing and bass passes Commited up. I also like the lead singers tone.

Overall, i think there are better top tier talent compared to the other seasons. The last 6 groups (up and including Delilah) are really really good.

TheMACHINE
11-22-2011, 06:01 PM
My faves are the Aires and Penta and wouldnt mind either one of them winning it all.

Spurminator
11-22-2011, 09:52 PM
What Pentatonix does on percussion with one bass and one beatbox is incredible.

benefactor
11-22-2011, 10:28 PM
We'll probably have to agree to disagree on Penatonix vs Committed. I will agree that with Penatonix's lights out rhythm section it is razor close. Committed's blend and vocal versatility just takes pure acapella to a whole new level.

stretch
11-28-2011, 10:02 PM
entertaining night

great call on pentatonix, benefactor

benefactor
11-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Great season. Lot's of incredible singers and memorable performances. Several of the groups have outstanding individual performers that should get the attention of record execs...notably Michael from the Aires and the lead singer from that all girl group.

Don't forget the Christmas special next Monday.

benefactor
05-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Mn3Zkq9PP_Y

Sick cover. Don't really care for the song, but with skills like this it doesn't really matter what you sing.

stretch
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Such horseshit. The show is cancelled. Fuck The Voice.

benefactor
08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/nbc-drops-sing-off-adds-new-singing-competition-20120530

Wtf. So one of the best pure singing competitions to date gets replaced by yet another generic singing show with some sort of slight variation. Fuck you NBC.

TheMACHINE
08-22-2012, 07:48 PM
sing off was one of the best shows..way better than The Voice.

CuckingFunt
08-22-2012, 07:55 PM
I gave the second season of The Voice a shot, even though the singing competitions aren't really my thing. I liked the rounds before the audience started voting, but once that happened I completely lost interest. I'm not a fan of audience voting in general, though.

UZER
08-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I loved the Sing-off...but I knew the show was done the second it went to a full season. Its niche was the 2 week Christmas run time. Just long enough for you to appreciate it without it souding repetative. A Capella music is best in doses. A full season is overkill...and that's just what did.

Phillip
12-12-2013, 11:07 AM
its back.. you been watching Benefactor?

i think the country group and filipino groups have been the best so far...

benefactor
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Yup. This season isn't as strong as past ones but I told my wife when I first heard the country group that they were early favorites. There is a market for them and they have the look and sound to make it big. I could see them, the filipinos and the black group with all the good singers in the final. Also, I don't understand why these groups like the one that got kicked off last night keep coming in with no tenor vocal. You simply cannot make high quality acapella with a bunch of altos and beat boxer. It sounds empty.

Jewel has been decent as a judge too. Didn't know what to expect but she knows her shit and has a good ear.

UZER
12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Just read my previous post. They went back to the two week format I had mentioned.

I agree. Talent this year is lacking. I feel like these groups are trying too hard and the songs are over arranged. Sometimes less is more and I'm not getting that this year.

I personally don't like groups with more than 8 people. It gets to congested after that with too many overlapping parts.

Chick groups also don't have the low end which means the song sounds empty.

Phillip
12-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Yup. This season isn't as strong as past ones but I told my wife when I first heard the country group that they were early favorites. There is a market for them and they have the look and sound to make it big. I could see them, the filipinos and the black group with all the good singers in the final.

You are talking about Ten, the group from Dallas? Yeah I said the exact same thing to my wife as well. Those are the top 3 groups IMO. I think Ten has the highest ceiling of the groups, as basically everyone in the group can sing REALLY well, but they still need more chemistry. Filharmonic has great chemistry, but they don't have any truly standout singers outside of the fat dude. Home free I think is the most musically sound group, but their appeal factor is lacking a bit. They don't dance much (which I don't care about, but others do) and country isn't exactly the most popular style.

Also, I don't understand why these groups like the one that got kicked off last night keep coming in with no tenor vocal. You simply cannot make high quality acapella with a bunch of altos and beat boxer. It sounds empty.

Exactly.

Phillip
12-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Just read my previous post. They went back to the two week format I had mentioned.

I agree. Talent this year is lacking. I feel like these groups are trying too hard and the songs are over arranged. Sometimes less is more and I'm not getting that this year.

I personally don't like groups with more than 8 people. It gets to congested after that with too many overlapping parts.

Chick groups also don't have the low end which means the song sounds empty.

It seems like that Kentucky group is trying too hard to be like Dartmouth Aires from season 3, except their black guy isn't good and can't carry the group like the black Dartmouth guy :lol (who may be the best singer I've ever seen on that show)

benefactor
12-13-2013, 05:21 PM
You got that feeling too? :lol They are like a homeless man's version.

The Aires front man was a fucking boss. That cover they did of Pinball Wizard...dam.

UZER
12-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Airs were great. They were a large group but had good balance and an awesome front man.

UK feels like a rip off without the talent to back it up. Plus they have the whitest black front man ever and its just awkward.