PDA

View Full Version : Repugs kill 9/11 Rescue Heroes Healthcare Bill

DMX7
12-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Thank you, heroes!

This toast will have to do. :toast

http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/79769/treating-ground-zero-workers-too-costly

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
They have already gotten an adequate settlement.

7.4 BILLION??????

How can you even attempt to justify that?

boutons_deux
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
maybe because for-profit sick-care, long-term, any-term, is ripoff outrageous?

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM

There were only 10,000 workers TOTAL affected. The majority of those are still perfectly healthy 10 years later. New York has already settled for $625,000,000.

This was pure political theater. 7.4 BILLION? bullshit.

DMX7
12-10-2010, 03:40 PM
There were only 10,000 workers TOTAL affected. The majority of those are still perfectly healthy 10 years later. New York has already settled for $625,000,000.

There were only 10,500 workers who decided to sue the state of New York, not 10,500 workers affected by the events of 9/11. That's not enough to care for them anyway.

DarrinS
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Awesome thread

Winehole23
12-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Using 9/11 as a political club to beat whoever disagrees with you still sucks.

DMX7
12-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Using 9/11 as a political club to beat whoever disagrees with you still sucks.

I don't think its a political club to the people affected. Pretty shameless to describe it as that.

DarrinS
12-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I don't think its a political club to the people affected. Pretty shameless to desrcibe it as that.

Maybe the repugs are holding the 9/11 heroes hostage.

Winehole23
12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't think its a political club to the people affected. Pretty shameless to describe it as that.It's a political club for the pols who crafted the legislation and skedded the vote, and for the partisan flacks making political hay of it right now.

It's pretty naive to think it's not. It sucked when the Bushies did it. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, it still sucks.

Wild Cobra
12-11-2010, 11:11 AM
If I didn't see on video, the workers not wearing proper PPE, then I could sympathize with them. As it stands, they did not follow proper safety measures, and my tax dollars should not pay for their mistakes.

Wild Cobra
12-11-2010, 11:12 AM
I don't think its a political club to the people affected. Pretty shameless to describe it as that.
If you have sex with someone you know to have AIDS, should we be responsible to pay for your medicine?

CosmicCowboy
12-11-2010, 11:58 AM
There were only 10,500 workers who decided to sue the state of New York, not 10,500 workers affected by the events of 9/11. That's not enough to care for them anyway.

The vast majority of whom aren't sick and aren't going to get sick.

Why stop at 9/11?

Why not Hurricanes?

Tornadoes?

Floods?

Earthquakes?

Bad traffic accidents?

Nbadan
12-11-2010, 05:54 PM
The vast majority of whom aren't sick and aren't going to get sick.

Now your a physician too!

:lol

boutons_deux
12-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Come on, Dan, get real.

If Bill Frist by watching TV can diagnose Terry Sciavo as brain-dead, CC can diagnose 1000s of 9/11 responders as sick-care cheaters and fakers.

diego
12-15-2010, 06:52 AM
daily show link (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-december-13-2010/lame-as-f--k-congress)

When I read this thread CC's criticism made a lot of sense. This video rebukes his point, at least in the sense that fiscal responsibility is/was not the driving logic for republican opposition, and also exposing the hypocrisy of their position (ie, using 9/11 heroes for political gain but not willing to spend on them; willing to spend in Iraq but not for first responders; willing to debate don't ask don't tell but not willing to debate the bill, etc)

Wild Cobra
12-15-2010, 10:35 AM
daily show link (http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-december-13-2010/lame-as-f--k-congress)

When I read this thread CC's criticism made a lot of sense. This video rebukes his point, ...
If we can separate those who get help by if they wore the proper protective equipment or not, I might agree.

Forming a position by a comedy show?

Wow...

Really pitiful.

diego
12-15-2010, 12:08 PM
how about forming an opinion based on the footage of the actual senators involved?

Wild Cobra
12-15-2010, 12:15 PM
how about forming an opinion based on the footage of the actual senators involved?
Is it in context, or is it snippets?

Winehole23
12-15-2010, 12:20 PM
how about forming an opinion based on the footage of the actual senators involved?You could start by offering an opinion of your own in this vein. Got one?

diego
12-15-2010, 04:24 PM
my opinion-

as someone who owns a business, I know how important it is to have people committed to go above and beyond the call of duty when problems arise. So I think WC's "they're not wearing the proper safety gear" argument is utter BS. Its especially ironic from someone who I've seen arguing that govt regulations stop things from getting done. The reason they are heroes is precisely that, they went above and beyond the call of duty and put themselves in danger to help other people.

as a foreigner who studied in the US from 2000-2003 and ended up leaving basically because of the patriot act and the loony environment after 9/11, I think its hilarious that the same politicians that milked the super-patriotic angle are the ones that are turning their backs on those heroes. The only conceivable argument I can see for doing that, is the one CC gave where they are against unnecessary spending and the bill is full of "pork". But if those same politicians approve unnecessary spending in other areas (I'm imagining most likely, areas closer to them- coincidentally, of course :downspin:), then that argument loses weight.

As for the video, I think its downright embarassing they didnt stand up to debate against the bill. If I were a US citizen I'd be asking myself if they recieve the same salary under that circumstance. At least where I've worked, most employees don't recieve full pay unless they do the full work. Regardless of whether you agree or not with the position, to not make a statement of principle is just lazy and disrespectful; 1000x so if they've been filling their mouths with those "heroes" for years. (I'm sure this is not the first time this has happened, in the US or abroad, its just an especially poignant instance of it happening)

diego
12-15-2010, 04:43 PM
WC, if the senators words have been taken out of context, by all means please put them in context. I see many speeches praising the heroes and extolling the values of patriotism, then a lot of NAY votes. If they have given a reasoned argument for voting NAY that the daily show has ommitted, by all means point me to it and I'll check it out

Wild Cobra
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
WC, if the senators words have been taken out of context, by all means please put them in context.
Not my job. If you are going to post something, put it in context, else expect it to be ignored.

I see many speeches praising the heroes and extolling the values of patriotism, then a lot of NAY votes.

And that' fine, and I agree the heroes need to be honored.

My point is, when you see the videos of the workers, many are not wearing their protective gear in an area they know if full of risks. Why should we foot the bill for their incompetence? They know the regulations and protocols, and were caught on tape not following them. Many jobs would have fired them for such actions, and they retained their jobs for their heroic actions.

Isn't that enough?

If they have given a reasoned argument for voting NAY that the daily show has ommitted, by all means point me to it and I'll check it out

I'm not going to attempt to go back that many years. I stand by my contention that I have little sympathy for those being injured when not following standard safety protocol.

Stringer_Bell
12-15-2010, 08:08 PM
I have an idea.

Let's start a war in an energy/mineral rich country, profit off the land of those shit-eating turds, then use that money to pay for the 9/11 heroes fund.

diego
12-16-2010, 07:15 AM
My point is, when you see the videos of the workers, many are not wearing their protective gear in an area they know if full of risks. Why should we foot the bill for their incompetence? They know the regulations and protocols, and were caught on tape not following them. Many jobs would have fired them for such actions, and they retained their jobs for their heroic actions.

Isn't that enough?

I'm not going to attempt to go back that many years. I stand by my contention that I have little sympathy for those being injured when not following standard safety protocol.

I addressed this point in my previous post, go back and read it.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Since when does protocol trump necessity, especially when that necessity is to aid innocent victims? You call your heroes incompetent for not following regulations? It would be funny if it wasnt disgustingly hypocritical. How many soldiers and politicians have been "incompetent" by not following regulations? Or was their "necessity" (for national security and a democratic middle east!) more important than aiding those innocent victims?

admiralsnackbar
12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
If you have sex with someone you know to have AIDS, should we be responsible to pay for your medicine?

Are you suggesting the rescue workers shouldn't have rescued anyone, then? Or that they should have known that the WTC's collapse would release a toxic cloud that would cause health problems their existing insurance wouldn't cover and that despite this, their efforts fell within the purview of their responsibilities?

What an asinine, graceless, miserly analogy... I suppose you think the VA is stupid, too? "Them squirts knew war could get their legs blown off when they enlisted... why should I pay for it?"

Nitwit.

boutons_deux
12-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Thune, yet another big-hearted, bleeding-heart, empathetic, sympathetic, humane Repug, says unpaid tax cuts for super wealthy have priority over 9/11 workers whose sick-care must be paid for. And of course, it's all the Dems' fault.

Sen. Thune Admits Bush Tax Cut Extensions Are More Of A Priority Than 9/11 Workers’ Health

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/12/15/thune-911-responders/

boutons_deux
12-16-2010, 08:37 AM
"If you have sex with someone you know to have AIDS, should we be responsible to pay for your medicine"

If someone eats themselves into morbid obesity, diabetes, kidney failure, should we be responsible to pay for their $100Ks of treatment? (dialysis alone costs about $75K/year, then you have multiple surgeries for cutting off fingers, toes, feet, hands, legs, etc with diabetic gangrene)

If someone smokes themselves into lung cancer, etc, etc, etc.

Hey, I'm just asking! :)

ElNono
12-16-2010, 11:29 AM
I guess they're heroes until we get the bill...
And lol aids analogy

Wild Cobra
12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
OK, I should have perhaps meant without protection.

Point is, we know for a fact that several of people did not use their protective equipment. Fail to protect yourself, suffer the consequences.

DMX7
12-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Jon Stewart devotes entire show to 9/11 first responders:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101217/us_yblog_thelookout/911-first-responders-speak-out-on-daily-show

boutons_deux
12-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Here's CC's nutcase boyfriend hum-jobbing the same tune and getting trashed:

Kyl On 9/11 First Responders Bill: ‘Why Would They Need $6 Billion?’

Kyl’s feigned ignorance on the bill is pathetic. As ThinkProgress noted when Kyl tried to pass off the same phony objections last week, the Senate and House version of the bill have been available to Kyl and anyone else to read since 2009, and there was in fact a Senate hearing on it in June, even though he insists it never happened. Meanwhile, changes to bill have been made at the GOP’s behest. So to claim that he has “no idea” what’s in the bill is negligent, at best.

As for Kyl’s list of questions, these have all been answered in the hearing and elsewhere. The bill will provide funding for eight years to monitor and treat injuries stemming from exposure to toxic dust and debris, as well as to reopen the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund to provide help for job and economic losses.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/12/20/kyl-911-why/

========

CC and Kyl are richers. So fuck "9/11 Cadillac King cheating American Heroes".

Let the sick-care predators suck them dry.

CosmicCowboy
12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Here's CC's nutcase boyfriend hum-jobbing the same tune and getting trashed:

Kyl On 9/11 First Responders Bill: ‘Why Would They Need $6 Billion?’

Kyl’s feigned ignorance on the bill is pathetic. As ThinkProgress noted when Kyl tried to pass off the same phony objections last week, the Senate and House version of the bill have been available to Kyl and anyone else to read since 2009, and there was in fact a Senate hearing on it in June, even though he insists it never happened. Meanwhile, changes to bill have been made at the GOP’s behest. So to claim that he has “no idea” what’s in the bill is negligent, at best.

As for Kyl’s list of questions, these have all been answered in the hearing and elsewhere. The bill will provide funding for eight years to monitor and treat injuries stemming from exposure to toxic dust and debris, as well as to reopen the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund to provide help for job and economic losses.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/12/20/kyl-911-why/

========

CC and Kyl are richers. So fuck "9/11 Cadillac King cheating American Heroes".

Let the sick-care predators suck them dry.

Since you decided to make it personal, fuck losers like Boutons too.

fraga
12-20-2010, 05:24 PM
You stay classy Republicans...

boutons_deux
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Hate the hateful politics, but love the man?

Nope, it doesn't work that way.

By their fruits, you will know them.

DMX7
12-26-2010, 10:40 PM
New Bill....

Passed, bitches.

boutons_deux
12-27-2010, 02:30 AM
Jon Stewart did huge a hit job on the Repugs last week, almost shamed the Repugs, but they are shameless bastards.

fraga
12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Face!!!

DMX7
12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Jon annihilated them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/27/business/media/27stewart.html?_r=1

DMX7
12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
PWNED again, bitches.

TeyshaBlue
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
lol @ touchdown dancers.

Wild Cobra
12-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks like some so-called journalist wants to suck his dick.

Winehole23
12-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Dick sucking is prominently highlighted in this forum, as ever.

Winehole23
12-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for keeping us on task, WC. The relentlessness of Yoni and jack of late has relented somewhat. :tu

Wild Cobra
12-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for keeping us on task, WC. The relentlessness of Yoni and jack has relented of late. :tu
LOL...

This whole forum seems to have been less active lately.