PDA

View Full Version : Offseason signings who might get dealt

duncan228
12-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Just the names, hit the link for the reasoning for each player.

Offseason signings who might get dealt (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40536988/ns/sports-nba/)
Starting Dec. 15, teams can unload those free-agent acquisitions that haven't quite worked out
By Ira Winderman
NBCSports.com

It's a rule designed to prevent teams from "flipping" free agents, luring them on the promise of stability and then immediately dealing them to less-desirable destinations.

But perhaps it also is a means of protecting teams from themselves.

Dec. 15 holds a special place on the NBA calendar. It is when teams effectively can say, "Uh, never mind." It is the first day that players signed in the offseason can be dealt.

Without such a cooling-off period, rash decisions might ensue.

...While the Feb. 23 trading deadline remains the league's ultimate personnel deadline, Dec. 15 essentially is the starting gate for in-season maneuvering, when the bulk of the league stands trade eligible.

That also makes it the perfect time to evaluate the signings from this past summer, as teams debate whether to hold 'em or fold 'em.

Moving past the no-brainer offseason signings, such as the Heat's Big Three, the Knicks' addition of Amare Stoudemire, the Celtics' re-upping of Ray Allen and Paul Pierce, or the Mavericks doing the same with Dirk Nowitzki, a look at some of the other offseason signings worthy of Dec. 15 debate.

Ultimately, keepers

Raymond Felton, Knicks
Shaquille, O'Neal, Celtics
Al Harrington, Nuggets
James Jones, Heat
Darko Milicic, Timberwolves
Wesley Matthews, Trail Blazers
Richard Jefferson, Spurs

On second thought

Jermaine O'Neal, Celtics
Brendan Haywood, Mavericks
Theo Ratliff, Lakers
Eddie House, Heat
Tracy McGrady, Pistons
Randy Foye, Clippers
Anthony Carter, Nuggets
Joe Smith, Nets

Still open to debate

Joel Anthony, Heat
Steve Blake, Lakers
Drew Gooden, Bucks
Mike Miller, Heat
Ben Wallace, Pistons

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/40536988/ns/sports-nba/

SpursDynasty85
12-10-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't think this guy has any clue what the teams are gonna do.

JayTheClown
12-10-2010, 06:06 PM
I don't think this guy has any clue what the teams are gonna do.

I hope he knows what hes talking about on Haywood though.

DPG21920
12-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Al Harrington is playing like booty. Really bad. However, if the Nuggets trade Melo (which seems likely) they will need someone to score the ball. Watching Al play w/o Melo this week is not a good sign if that were to happen. If for some crazy reason a team actually showed legit interest in Al, I doubt the Nuggets say no if the offer is decent.

Felton has exceeded expectations. He is playing very well. I have always thought he was an undervalued player. He is a guy who does not excel in any one area particularly, but he is solid and sturdy across the board on both ends. Kind of like a Billups type player. He and Amare have not been a perfect fit, but they have found a way to be productive and they now have a team who won 29 games last year in the playoff hunt with a 14-9 record. Pretty impressive right now.

:lol TP and RJ were clearly not signed to move them and it wasn't really that curious. The Spurs went all in with RJ and they had to make that move for better or worse with how this off season played out.

Mike Miller is going no where and all of the other players he listed are such bit players that is this really a topic worth mentioning?

Haywood is the only legit topic of conversation imo and the Mavs are in a tough spot with that one.

Jose Canseco
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Pistons signed Will Bynum this past summer.

Will Bynum for Andrew Bynum.

Pistons get much needed size and youth at the center position for the future. Lakers get a Bynum who will actually play.

DPG21920
12-10-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm surprised he didn't mention Bonner. He doesn't think that anyone would want a stretch 4 who can rain 3's down at a 50% clip?

tdunk21
12-10-2010, 06:16 PM
pistons would be an awesome team with tmac and andrew bynum.....hurt all the time

YoungB
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
No one is going to take on Haywood's contract anyway, and besides we need him, our depth at C is something that I really like about the team this year, even if his play hasn't been what we hoped.

SpursDynasty85
12-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Haywood is the only legit topic of conversation imo and the Mavs are in a tough spot with that one.

Besides being over the cap for years to come. Mark Cuban doesn't care about 55 million. He will spend like a spoiled rich kid until he gets his shiny new trophy...

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Al Harrington shitting on DPG..

JayTheClown
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Besides being over the cap for years to come. Mark Cuban doesn't care about 55 million. He will spend like a spoiled rich kid until he gets his shiny new trophy...

God hasn't created a man yet that doesn't care about 55 million. Theres a reason Cuban didn't win the bidding on the Rangers. He was outbid, he is not made of money.

DPG21920
12-10-2010, 09:52 PM
:lol I know. He showed me.

DPG21920
12-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Dude went off, then again it was against the softest team in the league. But still, he played well tonight. He made a lot of 3's, but he also did a good job of taking it inside. He had a few good passes and did a decent job on the glass.

Good game from him. First in a long time.

sefant77
12-11-2010, 11:50 AM

Maybe you just should shut up if you dont know the real numbers.

Mavs wont trade their depth at center away to rely on freakin Ian Mahinmi but yes there are several teams that still would trade for Haywood.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe you just should shut up if you dont know the real numbers.

Yeah, he just should have gone with "massively overpaid".

sefant77
12-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Haywood is avering 8.2 million over five years, total 41 million.

Jefferson is earning 40 million over four years.

Too bad...

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Haywood is avering 8.2 million over five years, total 41 million.

Jefferson is earning 40 million over four years.

Too bad...

8.2M AAV for 4.3ppg/5.4rpg.

He's Diop 2.0

Too bad.

sefant77
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
lol no one cares about numbers in Dallas.

Its about putting two legit center with 12 fouls out there.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Tbh Mel_13 is lucky DoK is banned, he'd be sending Mel and many others who thought he was stupid for saying Amare > Bosh to the tree of woe. After his comments about the contract Amare deserved, he has no right to comment on who's overpaid.

:lmao

You need to actually quote my posts if you're going comment on them. I'm quite comfortable with my posts about Amare.

Among other things, I never said DoK was stupid for saying Amare>Bosh. Never said it.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:25 PM
So you still think Bosh > Amare and the Suns were smart not to give Amare the max?

I never said Bosh>Amare.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:31 PM
lol not responding to the other part

You've attributed positions to me that are not mine. Use the search function, find a post that you wish comment upon, and I'll answer.

The burden of proof is on you.

I'm completely comfortable with everything I posted about Amare.

lol at you making stuff up and expecting a response.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:40 PM
OK, I was partially wrong, you said Bosh is a "safer investment" than Amare, which is still pretty fuckin stupid :lmao. You also said the Knicks will regret the contract they give Amare, which so far looks pretty fuckin stupid as well.

:lmao

Still haven't quoted a post.

Mel_13
12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Bosh is.

Mori Chu
12-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Offseason signings likely to be dealt:

Hedo Turkoglu, Suns
Josh Childress, Suns

(at least, that's what I'm hoping for)