PDA

View Full Version : School me on guitars

PM5K
12-11-2010, 12:19 AM
My son wants one for Christmas. He's 12. I guess he'll want an acoustic rather than electric or classical.

Other than that I'm not sure what brands or types to look for.

The Reckoning
12-11-2010, 12:27 AM
whatever you do buy him a tuner. lessons would be awesome too if he really wants to learn. are his hands big enough to fit the frets?

4>0rings
12-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Yamaha makes some of the best built, quality low cost instruments. I would defintley look at that brand. Can he handle a full size or does he need a 3/4 size? Price point?

PM5K
12-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Yamaha makes some of the best built, quality low cost instruments. I would defintley look at that brand. Can he handle a full size or does he need a 3/4 size? Price point?

I'm not sure, but his hands are almost as big as mine, and he's about 5'3", so he's a decent size kid.

Brand wise though, some I've seen are Yamaha, Fender, Ibanez. There's a couple others I can't think of off hand, I think Alvarez is one.

Price point is hard to say, but I was looking at pawn shops so I can get a decent deal. Ideally I'd like to buy something good enough that when/if he gets something nicer, he can hand down whatever we buy him to his younger brother.

4>0rings
12-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I'm not sure, but his hands are almost as big as mine, and he's about 5'3", so he's a decent size kid.

Brand wise though, some I've seen are Yamaha, Fender, Ibanez. There's a couple others I can't think of off hand, I think Alvarez is one.
Ok well then he can probably use a full size one. Amount of your budget?

PM5K
12-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Ok well then he can probably use a full size one. Amount of your budget?

Well probably in the 100.00 range. I've seen plenty of decent looking acoustic guitars of the brands I've mentioned at the pawn shops at that price point. I could probably go up to 150.00 though.

It's one of those things though that I don't know how much he'll take to it so I'd be happier at 100.

silverblk mystix
12-11-2010, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't assume he wants an acoustic.

I would almost bet an electric would excite a 12 year old a little more than an acoustic.

My best tip for you would be to buy him something...in the intermediate range--rather than just a cheapie.

For example, you could find a really cheap..99 dollar guitar...but those are made cheaply, the action (the distance between the strings and the fretboard) is too high, it probably hurts your hands after a half hour or so, and may go out of tune pretty quickly.

The money you save may not be worth the fact that it could discourage your kid from continuing to learn.

An expensive guitar may be worth the money but if your kid loses interest-then it will be money thrown away.

An intermediate priced guitar will get you the most bang for the buck and is an instrument that is good enough to learn on and even something he will want to keep playing as he gets better.

I would look at the -made in mexico-Fender Stratocasters- and a used one in good condition makes a lot of sense. When buying an electric guitar-buying used with a scratch or ding-saves you a lot of cash and will have no bearing on how it sounds-provided it hasn't been modified or abused.

A small Fender combo amplifier like a Super Champ XD will complete the set and will keep any 12 year old busy and excited for quite some time.

(look up some youtubes of the Super Champ xd---to be wowed by what it can do,)

Finally, someone mentioned a tuner and lessons....that is sound advice.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:04 AM
I definitely don't want to get him one of those First Act Target/Walmart guitars, I've read the same thing about the problems with the action.

At a pawn shop you can get a 175.00 guitar for a hundred or so and that would be pretty good. I'm pretty sure he wants an acoustic because that's what his relatives have.

I've read Fenders are good, but not the Squier, the Stratocaster like you mentioned.

Dave Mustaine
12-11-2010, 01:16 AM
he'll get tired of it and it'll be collecting dust in 2 months. why waste the money.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Dave Mustaine, lol.

4>0rings
12-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Fender is decent in acoustic guitars but they really shine with electrics(not Squier). With that price range you are looking at a laminate top acoustic. Laminate can put up with a lot of abuse but the sound will not be as good as one with a solid top and will never 'ripen' with age as a solid top would do. With that said, along with Yamaha, Takamine makes decent laminate top guitar along with Fender. You will probably look at getting a starter pack then as this will come with everything you need besides a tuner to get started... and you NEED a tuner. Do not get an eletric-acoustic at that price as it will most likely sound like big foot with his hand stuck in a disposal. Throw on some decent bronze strings as the ones that come with most starter guitars are junk, this will make a huge difference in sound.

Action can be changed on ANY guitar, it's just a little more difficult and time consuming to change it on an acoustic. You can always take it to a shop or have your relatives that play set up the guitar because it's likely to come out of the box/pawn shop needing one anyways.

I know you're trying to find a median of quality and price because he's new but playing a bad sounding instrument with super high action isn't fun and will likely make him quit. If it sounds good, he's more likely to play it and stick with it.

Lessons are a great idea and if his relatives already play, that would help a bunch.

www.justinguitar.com (http://www.justinguitar.com) is a free site and is the best guitar learning free site barnone. From beginner to professional. This can help him get started along with youtube how-to-play-this-song lessons.

Craigslist is also a great place to look for used equipment. SA is close to hippie town(Austin) and is full of used guitars for sale, so check there also.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:35 AM
I know you're trying to find a median of quality and price because he's new but playing a bad sounding instrument with super high action isn't fun and will likely make him quit. If it sounds good, he's more likely to play it and stick with it.

You don't think I can find a nice used 100.00 guitar at a pawn shop that will sound good? If it's a 100.00 guitar at the pawn shop it's likely a 200.00 guitar brand new.

Pistons < Spurs
12-11-2010, 01:37 AM
I understand your reasonings for not wanting to spend a ton of money, but it really does make a big difference. A lesser quality guitar can seriously ruin the fun and desire for a beginner just getting started. If he ends up not taking to the guitar you can always sell a quality instrument to a pawn store or through craigslist.

I was recently looking for an inexpensive but somewhat decent acoustic as my secondary guitar. Ended up getting a nice deal on a used Yamaha acoustic electric (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-ac-guitars/apx/apx500fm/?mode=model) from Guitar Center. Looked at some Fenders, Ibanez and some other pricier models, but liked the Yamaha the best. Have no complaints about it at all. Great tone, nice action and always stays in tune. Based on my experience I'd highly recommend a Yamaha.

Things to consider ...

Acoustic? or acoustic electric? I decided on the acoustic/electric for it's flexibility. Can plug it into my amp or computer, or take it to the lake and just use it as an acoustic. Of course then you're likely to need to make an amp purchase at some point down the road.

In my particular case, one of the things I liked best about my Yamaha was it's fit. It has a thinner profile that I really liked, wasn't so big and bulky. Might be something to consider if it's for s younger child.

And you're probably gonna want to take whatever you buy to a guitar shop to get it professionally setup.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:38 AM
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2104055852.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2096792130.html (A Squire I hear those are meh)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2090550871.html (Acoustic Electric)

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Sounds like the consensus is that my price range is too low. How much should I be looking to spend new and used?

Let's just keep in mind that I'm the Deal King, so I'll whatever you think I'll have to spend I'll be able to spend less and still get what I'm looking for.

I bought a Sony 1080P LCD HDTV a few years ago for 600.00. At the time it was an 1800.00 TV. My house is filled with stuff I got dirt cheap.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 01:41 AM
And you're probably gonna want to take whatever you buy to a guitar shop to get it professionally setup.

My nephew has been playing guitar for damn near as long as I can remember, he definitely knows how to replace strings, tune, etc.

4>0rings
12-11-2010, 02:00 AM
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2104055852.html

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2096792130.html (A Squire I hear those are meh)

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/2090550871.html (Acoustic Electric)

1) Never buy anything with the word STARcaster on it
2) I do not have any experience with Squire acoustics
3) Doesn't say the model but if it cost $350 new then it's probably good. It looks smaller and slimmer so this might be good for a child.

You don't think I can find a nice used 100.00 guitar at a pawn shop that will sound good? If it's a 100.00 guitar at the pawn shop it's likely a 200.00 guitar brand new.Yeah you can find one at that price point that will play and sound decent, just don't expect it to excel at anything. When he hears his instructor play something or watches a video on how to play a song, then he tries to play it, it's not going to have the same sound and it's a bit dissapointing.

What I'am playing on right now is a Yamaha FG700s($200). This is one of the cheapest solid top guitars you can buy and is the most sold acoustic guitar in America(for good reason). It sounds good out of the box but will sound awesome with a string change. Yamaha ships them with their own shitty strings, but Yamahas quality to price ratio is one of the best.

The only gripes is the action although not high isn't low to begin with. It's also a full size dreadnought, so it's not small.

I put on some good strings, changed the saddle to bone, filed the nut, polished the frets. It now has really low action with no buzz, plays and sounds like a dream.

I've seen these used for as low as a $100-150. Fender CD60's and Washburn WD's are another good option although laminate top, they sound and play good for what they are. Sub $100 used. Takamine Jasmines are another option for a sub $100 used guitar but will have a laminate top.

Pistons < Spurs
I'd stay away from the Squire's. Had one when I was a kid ... hated it.

New, i'd say you'd ideally want to be in the 300-400 range. Used price for that will obviously differ. And I would absolutely buy a used instrument. Check into guitar center. They have an online viewable inventory of their used stuff. But pawn shops and craigslist will likely offer better deals in the long run.

mojorizen7
I'd hold off on the lessons....that'll only likely discourage him from having any fun with it(unless he's determined to do so)
I understand that being self-taught isn't possible for just anyone....but I would first give him a chance to experiment on his own and with friends who might be playing instruments too. If he truly aquires an interest and a gift, he can decide whether or not to recieve formal teaching.

I was a self taught drummer,and i learned 90% of what i needed to know on my own thru relentless practice for 2 years....then i took lessons for about a year in order to get a fresh input on things,and also to learn the basics of reading simple music.

I also am a self-taught guitar player(thx to hanging around ALOT of other guitar players over the years).

Q: Does he have friends who are getting into playing music too? Is a garage band with the neighbors kids in his future? :lol

The reason i ask is that if so,he'll learn more from being around other guitar players than he ever will reading from a book,or from a teacher who probably doesn't give a fuck. :toast

mojorizen7
12-11-2010, 02:12 AM
:hat

The Reckoning
12-11-2010, 02:22 AM
its harder to self-teach yourself when youre only 12 though

PM5K
12-11-2010, 02:31 AM
I noticed that last one was pretty slim. The post isn't new so he might not still have it but it's something to keep in mind and at least use as a pricing guide.

Any other tips or suggestions?

I'm sure I could find a Yamaha FG700s in the 100-125 range. As for lessons, we won't be in a rush with the holidays but we'll see in the future.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-11-2010, 05:14 AM
stay within the six stringed variety

mojorizen7
12-11-2010, 05:17 AM
Disagree. I was 14.....and not the exception as far as all the musicians i've grown up with and met thru the years.
Its like playing sports,except that a lack of physical gifts doesn't figure into it.
If a child can get fully interested in music or sports before things like girls,cars,booze and drugs becomes the focus, it stays with you. Thats my take anyway.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-11-2010, 05:20 AM

Disagree. I was 14.....and not the exception as far as all the musicians i've grown up with and met thru the years.
Its like playing sports,except that a lack of physical gifts doesn't figure into it.
If i child can get fully interested in music or sports before things like girls,cars,booze and drugs becomes the focus it stays with you. Thats my take anyway.

Age has nothing to do with it. You either like it or don't. I took one guitar lesson when I was a few years into my private lessons of drumming. It wasn't for me.

PM5K
12-11-2010, 08:27 AM
What kind of strings do acoustic guitars typically come with?

silverblk mystix
12-11-2010, 10:25 AM
What kind of strings do acoustic guitars typically come with?

Depends on the guitar and/or the music store.

A steel string acoustic is suited for bronze, phosphor bronze,etc...

Lately a lot of acoustics are fitted with Elixir brand strings because they are coated and last 3 to 5 times as long as regular non-coated strings.
The tone is almost as good as non-coated and since changing strings on an acoustic can be a little more work...some people use them all the time.

I prefer the phosphor bronze (John Pearse brand) because I love the tone enough to change strings more frequently.
I used the Elixir's on a 12 string I had because the string changing on a 12 string is a bear, and a 12 string is mostly a strummer guitar and chimey picking guitar-so the tone didn't bother me as much.

If you are leaning for acoustic-check out some blueridge guitars or some recording king...they give you max bang for the buck and are used as second guitars or take-it-to-the park guitars by many players that have really expensive guitars in the 2 to 3 to 6 thousand dollar range. These Blueridge and R.Kings look like Martin or Gibson replicas.

If you can step up to an ALL-SOLID WOOD acoustic....Larrivee makes a really decent all-solid (the top is solid sitka, the back and sides are solid rosewood or mahogany...as opposed to laminate woods). A used Larrivee got me through some lean times when I didn't want to spend too much and didn't want to go laminate.

Of course, all these choices can be made AFTER your kid takes it seriously and you are looking to reward him with an upgrade in a year or two.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Acoustics unless you are spending in the 4 figures almost invariably have shitty action so they are much harder to play. Electric with a thin pick is the easiest to start.

10 years ago I would have told you to get a Yamaha Pacifica no question. They have gone to shit in terms of the construction nowadays.

Look at cheap yamahas, squiers, and epiphones. When you get the guitar look at the 12th fret, thats the one with two dots. Look at the distance between the string and the fretboard. If its half an inch then it is WAAAY too much. A lot of pos guitars will do this because the guitar buzzes if you do not crank down the truss rod.

That is the next thing you do: start fretting notes(put your finger down between each fret and pick the string) the note should play clear. If its muted at certain spots or buzzes especially at the low E, its more than likely a pos. Its going to be a cheap guitar so its not going to be perfect throughout the range but the more guitars you check out the better feel you will have.

Plug the thing in. Strum the guitar and check for hissing, popping, lost signals. Move the switch to various positions and check all of the pickups.

And whoever said an instructor is a waste of time is fucking clueless. A decent instructor can have your kid playing songs as soon as he learns E and A. If you want your kid fumbling through trying to learn to read tab on their own and picking up shitty picking habits then by all means go that route.

This guy is cool and his youtubes are free:

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

Good luck

Barfunk
12-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Jasmine by Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar Natural:

http://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Takamine-S35-Acoustic-Natural/dp/B0002F58TG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292093154&sr=8-1

I actually have had a couple of these guitars in this model. Don't let the price fool you because this is a pretty good guitar. Of course it's not going to playing like melting butter, but it plays very nice and since you said you wanted something in the $100-$150 range for your son but don't really know if he'll stick with with it. This guitar is only $70.00 through the Austin Bazaar store on Amazon.com. Just click on the "12 new" link under all the pricing info to see all the stores that offer this model. Some stores on Amazon charge shipping while some give you free shipping. The Austin Bazaar Store offers the "Free Super Saver Shipping".

I haven't tried this one but here is the cutaway version (for $79.87 with "Free Super Saver Shipping". Make sure if you were to buy this guitar, choose the store on Amazon that offers Free Super Saver Shipping) I've actually been thinking about getting this one to see how it plays:

http://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Takamine-S34C-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B0002GXZK4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292094030&sr=8-3

Duff McCartney
12-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Acoustics unless you are spending in the 4 figures almost invariably have shitty action so they are much harder to play. Electric with a thin pick is the easiest to start.

10 years ago I would have told you to get a Yamaha Pacifica no question. They have gone to shit in terms of the construction nowadays.

Look at cheap yamahas, squiers, and epiphones. When you get the guitar look at the 12th fret, thats the one with two dots. Look at the distance between the string and the fretboard. If its half an inch then it is WAAAY too much. A lot of pos guitars will do this because the guitar buzzes if you do not crank down the truss rod.

That is the next thing you do: start fretting notes(put your finger down between each fret and pick the string) the note should play clear. If its muted at certain spots or buzzes especially at the low E, its more than likely a pos. Its going to be a cheap guitar so its not going to be perfect throughout the range but the more guitars you check out the better feel you will have.

Plug the thing in. Strum the guitar and check for hissing, popping, lost signals. Move the switch to various positions and check all of the pickups.

And whoever said an instructor is a waste of time is fucking clueless. A decent instructor can have your kid playing songs as soon as he learns E and A. If you want your kid fumbling through trying to learn to read tab on their own and picking up shitty picking habits then by all means go that route.

This guy is cool and his youtubes are free:

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

Good luck

I disagree with you on the cheap acoustics. Mine wasn't like 10 bucks but it was around 200 and it's a Fender and the action is really good on it. Nice and low.

Also, having an instructor can be a waste of time. There are alot of people who don't learn like that. I happen to believe that there are two types of musicians....those than can read music and those that can't.

Personally I couldn't do with an instructor because well it feels alot like school. Not that I hated school, but I couldn't stomach school with music. Even when I had piano classes in college they bored me to no end. I found more enjoyment learning on my own than with a teacher and sheet music.

I do agree it's not a total waste of time, but it just depends on what kind of musician you (or in this case his kid) is.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I disagree with you on the cheap acoustics. Mine wasn't like 10 bucks but it was around 200 and it's a Fender and the action is really good on it. Nice and low.

Also, having an instructor can be a waste of time. There are alot of people who don't learn like that. I happen to believe that there are two types of musicians....those than can read music and those that can't.

Personally I couldn't do with an instructor because well it feels alot like school. Not that I hated school, but I couldn't stomach school with music. Even when I had piano classes in college they bored me to no end. I found more enjoyment learning on my own than with a teacher and sheet music.

I do agree it's not a total waste of time, but it just depends on what kind of musician you (or in this case his kid) is.

So you had an issue with an instructor. This idea that it is easier to learn without a teacher is awesome. Maybe if you are a sociopath.

It does not have to be about learning theory or even being able to read sheet music and everything about technique and approach. When you are playing triplets at 140 bpm then you had better have good picking technique or you have no hope.

If the instructor is too rigorous then you find a different instructor.

And if you bought a fender acoustic(which are shit anyway) that plays alright then good for you but that is the exception and not the norm. I found a kickass Ibanez for $400 but when you are telling somewhere to look you do not point them to somewhere they need an immensely discerning eye to make a good choice.

They just arent going to be as easy to play as a comparable electric anyway.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Not really. Just learn a bunch of chords and before you know it you can play a shitload of songs.

MannyIsGod
12-11-2010, 04:16 PM
If you buy a cheap (less than 200) acoustic the chances of him sticking with it are low because those guitars are hard as shit to play. There's a lot of good advice in this thread but please just listen to that.

I'd personally like to recommended the Seagull S6 as a great guitar for beginners. Its still the only guitar I own and although it doesn't sound as good or play as easily as my old Martin its still a great great guitar to just have around.

Ignignokt
12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Get a seagull guitar. I think theres no finish but they sound warm and are of good quality.

Yamaha sucks and they're action gets funny real quick. Fender sucks on low quality acoustic instruments. Epiphone have funny feel.

I would stick to a seagull. Get Nathan Pearsall strings. They are handmade, also they have amazing overtones.

DPG21920
12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Jasmine by Takamine S35 Acoustic Guitar Natural:

http://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Takamine-S35-Acoustic-Natural/dp/B0002F58TG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292093154&sr=8-1

I actually have had a couple of these guitars in this model. Don't let the price fool you because this is a pretty good guitar. Of course it's not going to playing like melting butter, but it plays very nice and since you said you wanted something in the $100-$150 range for your son but don't really know if he'll stick with with it. This guitar is only $70.00 through the Austin Bazaar store on Amazon.com. Just click on the "12 new" link under all the pricing info to see all the stores that offer this model. Some stores on Amazon charge shipping while some give you free shipping. The Austin Bazaar Store offers the "Free Super Saver Shipping".

I haven't tried this one but here is the cutaway version (for $79.87 with "Free Super Saver Shipping". Make sure if you were to buy this guitar, choose the store on Amazon that offers Free Super Saver Shipping) I've actually been thinking about getting this one to see how it plays:

http://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Takamine-S34C-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/B0002GXZK4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1292094030&sr=8-3

This was my first guitar and i still have it, in good shape 10 years later. Fun to play and sounds good.

ohmwrecker
12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Get a seagull guitar. I think theres no finish but they sound warm and are of good quality.

Seagulls are great guitars, but out of the $ range he mentioned. When buying a first guitar for a kid, parents are understandably concerned about spending too much in case the child losses interest, but spending a little extra can make a huge difference in the quality of the instrument.
Try to get a solid top acoustic (the soundboard of the guitar is made from solid wood instead of plywood). They sound better right off the bat and they age well, so they last longer. If a guitar is too cheaply made it won't stay in tune and will be difficult to play if the strings are set too far off the fretboard (this can be adjusted on better guitars, but cheap ones aren't easy or worth it to fix). Kids will be frustrated and discouraged by trying to play an inadequate instrument.
There are a few solid tops available in beginner packages (incl. tuner, strap, picks, book, etc.). Yamaha and Fender, off the top of my head, have ones in your price range. Ask the salesman about a free "set-up", before and after purchase, if possible.

btw, Seagulls do have a finish, but the high gloss is buffed out.

Ignignokt
12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
Seagulls are great guitars, but out of the $ range he mentioned. When buying a first guitar for a kid, parents are understandably concerned about spending too much in case the child losses interest, but spending a little extra can make a huge difference in the quality of the instrument.
Try to get a solid top acoustic (the soundboard of the guitar is made from solid wood instead of plywood). They sound better right off the bat and they age well, so they last longer. If a guitar is too cheaply made it won't stay in tune and will be difficult to play if the strings are set too far off the fretboard (this can be adjusted on better guitars, but cheap ones aren't easy or worth it to fix). Kids will be frustrated and discouraged by trying to play an inadequate instrument.
There are a few solid tops available in beginner packages (incl. tuner, strap, picks, book, etc.). Yamaha and Fender, off the top of my head, have ones in your price range. Ask the salesman about a free "set-up", before and after purchase, if possible.

btw, Seagulls do have a finish, but the high gloss is buffed out.

Yeah i know, it's called a satin finish, but to many, it looks like it has none.

And also, whose to say you can't find one on ebay used for that price range. Imho a quality used >>>>> a mediocre new.

Duff McCartney
12-11-2010, 07:34 PM
So you had an issue with an instructor. This idea that it is easier to learn without a teacher is awesome. Maybe if you are a sociopath.

It does not have to be about learning theory or even being able to read sheet music and everything about technique and approach. When you are playing triplets at 140 bpm then you had better have good picking technique or you have no hope.

If the instructor is too rigorous then you find a different instructor.

And if you bought a fender acoustic(which are shit anyway) that plays alright then good for you but that is the exception and not the norm. I found a kickass Ibanez for $400 but when you are telling somewhere to look you do not point them to somewhere they need an immensely discerning eye to make a good choice.

They just arent going to be as easy to play as a comparable electric anyway.

There's nothing sociopathic about it being easier to learn without an instructor. Some people just learn differently than others. It's common knowledge.

That said it wasn't just one teacher that I had for piano it was a few that I found the concept of learning piano the "traditional" way or whatever to be tedious. Like I said, people learn in different ways...and I wouldn't dismiss an instructor to be a complete waste of time, but it depends on the type of learner a person is.

It's like some people learn great hearing a lecture and others have to be more engaged.

ohmwrecker
12-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah i know, it's called a satin finish, but to many, it looks like it has none.

And also, whose to say you can't find one on ebay used for that price range. Imho a quality used >>>>> a mediocre new.

I'm agreeing with you, dipshit. If you can find a Seagull for under $200, buy it.

Ignignokt
12-11-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm agreeing with you, dipshit. If you can find a Seagull for under $200, buy it.

:lmao

Why you got to be on your period. I wasn't flaming you or debating you. It's just a discussion. Go get bent by your boyfriend whose probably not paying any of the rent, and then come back to this adult conversation. :lol

KapitanTutan
12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
by 16 your son will be forming a mini gay band.

and start smoking weeds and shits.

PM5K
12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Here are a few of the guitars I found while out shopping around:

Yamaha CG101A 99.99 (Actually a classical guitar)
Yamaha C40 99.99 (Also classical)
Ibanez TCY10 119.99 (Acoustic electric and a nice looking/feeling/slim guitar)
Takamine TC30C 119.99 (Another classical guitar)
Alvarez RD10 89.99 (Dreadnought)
Alvarez RF8 74.99 (Folk)
Yamaha FG401 99.99 (Seemed a bit big)
Yamaha FG700S 124.99 (As mentioned. The action is very good on this one)

I also saw some Staggs and Robelli but I don't know if those are any good. I also saw some Takamine's but I didn't know if those were good either until I read they were mentioned here earlier, but the TC30C that I saw was very nice except a classical guitar.

The Fender from Craigslist is still available, looks to be a Fender Standard Stratacoustic Acoustic-Electric Guitar that retails for 249.99

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
:cry

I'm on my period. I wasn't flaming you or debating you because I'm a dipshit. It's just a discussion. I have to go get bent by my boyfriend whose definitely not paying rent. I am an adult, dammit!. :cry

PM5K
12-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Alrighty.

Ignignokt
12-12-2010, 01:03 PM
:cry But i was agreeing with you!! Why do you give me such a hard time!!! Daddy was never there, i need your cock now!!!:cry

4>0rings
12-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Here are a few of the guitars I found while out shopping around:

Yamaha CG101A 99.99 (Actually a classical guitar)
Yamaha C40 99.99 (Also classical)
Ibanez TCY10 119.99 (Acoustic electric and a nice looking/feeling/slim guitar)
Takamine TC30C 119.99 (Another classical guitar)
Alvarez RD10 89.99 (Dreadnought)
Alvarez RF8 74.99 (Folk)
Yamaha FG401 99.99 (Seemed a bit big)
Yamaha FG700S 124.99 (As mentioned. The action is very good on this one)

There is a difference between classical guitars and steel string/folk guitars. They are played different and the classicals use nylon strings. I don't think your son wants that but I could be wrong.

Both yamaha's are good, both have solid tops and good action. Ibanez is a solid top but at these price ranges all the electronics on acoustic-electrics won't be any good. It has a cutaway and is slimmer so it's smaller and might be easier to play, but sound was lacking in the reviews I saw. You can also add pickups to regualr acoustic guitars if you want to amp it later on down the line. Alvarez RD10/RF8 are not solid tops but otherwise a decent beginner guitar. That fender strat elec-acoustic you looked at has a laminate top with sub-par electronics, the only thing going for it is the style and the feel of an electric guitar neck, I'd pass.

I'd agree with the others if you find a seagull anything in your price range, it's a good buy as long as it's a spruce top and not a cedar top(they sound different and cedar is an aquired taste in tone, bleh)

PM5K
12-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Yeah I don't know the difference between acoustic and classical. I know his relative that he looks up to that also plays guitar plays a classical, but I want to get him something that will allow him to play the most popular music.

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah I don't know the difference between acoustic and classical. I know his relative that he looks up to that also plays guitar plays a classical, but I want to get him something that will allow him to play the most popular music.

Get him an acoustic. Classical guitars are easier to play as far as novice finger pain goes, but they also sound a bit flabby before you learn how to fingerpick. Acoustics are a better primer in that they strengthen one's fretting ability and make transitioning to electrics (if he chooses to down the road) much easier.

Agree that Seagulls are great guitars, but the Yamahas and Alvarez are perfectly serviceable instruments. Don't waste your money on an electric/acoustic with piezo pick-ups: in your general price-range, they will be of poor quality acoustically and plugged in.

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm sorry. I just have to clear something up. Classical guitars are acoustic guitars. Steel strings are also acoustic. Any guitar that produces sound without being amplified is technically acoustic. I know I am being a stickler for terminology, but this is just basic shit people should know.
Classical guitars are made to play classical or Spanish flamenco style music. Different body shape, wider fretboard, nylon strings, played with fingertips, not picks . . . unless you're Willie Nelson.
Steel strings most common body shape is the dreadnaught. This is the one you want. Try to get a solid top. I cannot stress this enough. They sound better, age better and have more resale value.

Also, I'm not gay. No matter how much Ignoramus wants me to be, it's just not going to happen between us.

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm sorry. I just have to clear something up. Classical guitars are acoustic guitars. Steel strings are also acoustic. Any guitar that produces sound without being amplified is technically acoustic. I know I am being a stickler for terminology, but this is just basic shit people should know.

Also, I'm not gay. No matter how much Ignoramus wants me to be, it's just not going to happen between us.

C'mon, dude. Any guitar that makes sound is technically acoustic... are the semantics of colloquial guitar classification so tricky they demand a lecture to tell 99% of the readers of this thread something they already know?

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
C'mon, dude. Any guitar that makes sound is technically acoustic... are the semantics of colloquial guitar classification so tricky they demand a lecture to tell 99% of the readers of this thread something they already know?

Judging from a lot of the posts and talking to people, it's a distinction that a lot of people do not understand. It's also helpful information to have for a first time guitar buyer. I would hardly call pointing out the correct terminology a "lecture".

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Judging from a lot of the posts and talking to people, it's a distinction that a lot of people do not understand. It's also helpful information to have for a first time guitar buyer. I would hardly call pointing out the correct terminology a "lecture".

Fair enough -- sorry if I mistakenly took it as such :toast

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Fair enough -- sorry if I mistakenly took it as such :toast

:toast

MannyIsGod
12-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Lol @ having to say you're not gay

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 10:50 PM
Lol @ having to say you're not gay

Sorry, to disappoint you. I'm a heartbreaker.

Ignignokt
12-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Classical guitars are made to play classical or Spanish flamenco style music. Different body shape, wider fretboard, nylon strings, played with fingertips, not picks . . . unless you're Willie Nelson.
Steel strings most common body shape is the dreadnaught. This is the one you want. Try to get a solid top. I cannot stress this enough. They sound better, age better and have more resale value.

lol ignoramus
lol i'm not gay, i promise!!!
lol faguetti
lol ohmwrecker likes him some chin omelettes

Sotongball21
12-13-2010, 05:57 AM
At that age, important thing about the guitar is the playability. Get a good quality mid range-guitar. A takamine or a seagull like people are saying, however, as much as possible, get a guitar from your local store rather than over the internet. Testing the "action" of the guitar is important. That's how high the string is to the fret board. If the action is too high, no kid wants to play the guitar.

Take a trip to different guitar stores a couple of times and physically testing them out. No one guitar is the same.

Oh and 1 more thing, don't bother about getting particular kind of wood. It really doesn't make a difference at the beginner level.

mouse
12-13-2010, 05:37 PM
In all these guitar topics no one has yet to post a video of them actually playing one.

MannyIsGod
12-13-2010, 06:26 PM
The advice on playing a guitar first is actually the best in here. If you really want to get him a guitar for Christmas then take him to shops and play them with him first. Its really important.