PDA

View Full Version : Nets in talks to trade Kidd to Portland

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Nets reportedly in talks to trade Kidd
Deal would send Abdur-Rahim to New Jersey for All-Star guard

msnbc.msn.com/id/6003860/ (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6003860/)

The New Jersey Nets are reportedly looking to trade Jason Kidd to the Portland Trail Blazers.
NBCSports.com news services

The Nets are reportedly talking to the Portland Trail Blazers about trading the All-Star guard for forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Sportsline.com reported.

The Nets, who traded guard Kerry Kittles and lost forward Kenyon Martin to free agency, haven't confirmed talks with the Blazers, but Portland president reportedly Steve Patterson did. He did not say if a deal had been completed.

"It's early," Patterson said. "It's interesting, but I don't know if anything will happen."

The site also reported that the Blazers are getting opinions on Kidd's microfracture surgery on his left knee, which will keep him out until December.

But Kidd has also spent his time trying to work his way out of New Jersey, especially after the Nets failed to retain most of their core group of players in the offseason. New Jersey re-signed forward Richard Jefferson to a six-year, $78 million extension, but that was about it.

Kidd, 31, led the NBA in assists for the fifth time last season, and it was the fifth time he has been selected first-team All-NBA. He came to the Nets before the 2001-02 season in a trade with the Suns, and the Nets won the Eastern Conference in 2002 and 2003, losing to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2002 Finals and the San Antonio Spurs the next year.

Also a former star at Cal, Abdur-Rahim, 28, is a 6-foot-10, 240-pound forward acquired by the Blazers from Atlanta last season with Theo Ratliff and Dan Dickau for Rasheed Wallace. However, after averaging 20.7 points and 8.3 rebounds in his previous seven seasons, he was a bad fit in Portland. He averaged just 10.0 points and 4.5 rebounds in 22.8 minutes a game behind Zach Randolph, the NBA's most improved player.

Abdur-Rahim will make more than $14.6 million in this, the final season of his contract and has made it clear he wants out. The Blazers have tried to talk him into playing small forward next to Randolph, but he isn't really athletic enough to play the small forwards in the West and is a much better fit in the East. And the Blazers just signed small forward Darius Miles to a six-year, $48 million contract.

The Nets had talked to the Blazers about Abdur-Rahim earlier in the summer, with Kittles as the bait, but the deal fell through and Kittles went to the Los Angeles Clippers for a draft choice.

timvp
09-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Stay away Spurs.

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Abdur-Rahim is a waste in Portland, but do they really want Jason Kidd?

They better check the medical records very carefully.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:06 PM
Jason Kidd will reach allstar status again.

Tony Parker might remember that a playoff series requires 4 wins instead of 2.

RobinsontoDuncan
09-14-2004, 11:08 PM
sequ are you really a spurs fan, our just a blowhard who like to hear himself talk?

T Park Num 9
09-14-2004, 11:09 PM
You do realize freak show, that he has a serious knee injury and wont be back till December.

Plus he is over 30 years old.

Do you have a clue inside that undersized pea of yours.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:09 PM
It's true. I never fib.

WriterNum934
09-14-2004, 11:11 PM
You also never grow.

RobinsontoDuncan
09-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Tony Parker might remember that a playoff series requires 4 wins instead of 2.

perhaps it would do you some good to remember that the season you were refering to was Tony's second and he was only 19 years old going up against the best PG in the league.

also it should be recognized that tony's play in that series was the best against J Kidd from anyone in the past four years, including this one.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Just a year ago, Kidd was the best thing ever. So he got hurt, he'll be back.

I don't get it. Parker clearly was bailed out in 03 by Kerr and Claxton.

In 04, he started the job, but couldn't finish it and Pop had made uncalculated errors all season on how to go shopping with 25 million dollars. Maybe he should hire a woman as a manager or something.

All I am saying, is will Parker be able to close out a series against an elite team? Hasn't yet.

WriterNum934
09-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Sequ, go to sleep. For a long time.

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 11:24 PM
Jason Kidd will never be the same again. He might come back and play well for some stretches, but he's going to have chronic problems. This wasn't a simple injury.

WriterNum934
09-14-2004, 11:25 PM
And he's 31, not 20 or 22. Sequ is just a jackass. Wait, that's just an insult to jackasses.

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Warning: this thread better not turn into a Writer vs Sequ bitch fest.

WriterNum934
09-14-2004, 11:26 PM
Oh it won't. I ownz that ho. :elephant

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Considering that fact that Kidd is not a dunker or athletic, he has been a point guard who runs the offense and gathers assists and plays decent defense.

I am quite sure, he will be able to handle himself and become the allstar he has been.

Jason Kidd is one of the best players in the NBA. Damn near beat out Duncan for the MVP once.

I wouldn't call him Grant Hill because he misses a few months.

:lol

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 11:35 PM
He'll miss a few months a year for the rest of his career.

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:37 PM
How can you predict that? Don't be a hater.

Jason Kidd is fricking awesome. Awesome. Elite. One of the best.

He has a boo boo. Big deal. He will adapt to it. Dude can straight up ball.

KoriEllis
09-14-2004, 11:46 PM
I don't hate him. He's an incredible distributor.

I just know he has a serious injury that will cause re-occuring problems. He didn't have a simple knee surgery. Look at Jamal Mashburn. He had a similar surgery and doesn't know if/when he'll be able to play. The damage to Kidd's knee is said to be worse than Mashburn's. I hope he can come back and play healthy. But it's a huge huge question mark.

ducks
09-14-2004, 11:56 PM
kidd might not ever be healthy again

kidd might not be ready tell jan
:lol

nets would want an expiring contract
spurs can not do that
THANK GOD

SequSpur
09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
It's worth a risk for any team. There aren't many players out there that are that good. See Pop's latest pickups.

If he doesn't play, he has insurance coverage.

ducks
09-15-2004, 12:00 AM
IF HE OFFICALLY RETIRES
cuban did not think nash was worth the risk for 6 years
and you think an unhealthy kidd is?

ChumpDumper
09-15-2004, 12:05 AM
The Nets, who traded guard Kerry Kittles and lost forward Kenyon Martin to free agency, haven't confirmed talks with the Blazers, but Portland president reportedly Steve Patterson did.Are they not sure he's team president?

A phone call could probably clear that up.

romsho
09-15-2004, 12:33 AM
How the mighty have fallen. The Jason Kidd free agency fiasco seems a lot longer ago than just last summer. He got paid, and that is it. Lucky for the Spurs he chose money and big market over opportunity to win a championship. He would have handcuffed the franchise for years to come. In this case, the best deal really was the one that was never made.

tlongII
09-15-2004, 03:31 PM
If Kidd's knee heals well we could be an instant contender. That's a big if though.

ducks
09-15-2004, 04:29 PM
when does kidd get caught smoking dope if he goes to portland
?

exstatic
09-15-2004, 04:42 PM
If Kidd goes to Portland, Mo had better polish his resume. Kidd is the coach-killer.