PDA

View Full Version : This time last year

GSH
12-11-2010, 02:25 AM
Since we have the luxury this season of arguing about things like how many minutes Tim and Manu should be playing, or why we aren't seeing more of Tiago Splitter off the bench, I thought a little nostalgia was in order. What a difference a year makes.

This time last year:

The Spurs were 10-9.

The Spurs starting lineup frequently featured Keith Bogans and the "old" Richard Jefferson.

Spurs fans were still counting on Roger Mason Jr. to win games for us.

The recent loss of a 50 year-old arthritic Michael Finley to Boston may have actually made the Spurs weaker. How embarassing.

The Spurs had put together a 5-game winning streak (against weak teams). That would match one other 5-game streak for the longest of the season.

Other than that 5-game streak, the Spurs had only had back to back wins one other time.

Theo Ratliff had just gotten back from an injury, and was our hope for another big off the bench. (That hope would later be replaced by Ian Mahinmi.)

Richard Jefferson was making $14 Million, and wouldn't have been a bargain at half that.

Manu Ginobili was in a contract year, and was making noises about going elsewhere.

Our bench was shallow enough that Malik Hairston and Marcus Haislip were on the roster.

SpursDynasty85
12-11-2010, 02:27 AM
Neal >>> Mason and Bogans. Plus Parker was nursing a plantar fasciitis. So the Spurs were definitely no where near a good team then.

This years spurs are relatively healthy (minu Anderson).:toast

timtonymanu
12-11-2010, 02:31 AM
We didn't get win 19 until Dec 31.

Our only consistent players were Timmy, Blair, and Hill.

Ahh fuck it. I can't remember anything else cause last year was so bad.

Jason R
12-11-2010, 02:33 AM
The youth movement has certainly benefited us. Of course, Manu and Parker being healthy has done the same. RJ's vast improvement as well.

To be honest in almost every single offensive factor the Spurs have improved over last year, and it's obviously playing out.

Johnny RIngo
12-11-2010, 02:40 AM
Our bench was shallow enough that Malik Hairston and Marcus Haislip were on the roster.

TBH, I'd much rather have Hairston over Udoka but, yeah, the current Spurs squad curbstomps last year's team. We still have a glaring weakness in our frontcourt but I think our backcourt is dominant enough(ranked first in the league by a considerable margin) to overcome those problems in most games.

SpursDynasty85
12-11-2010, 02:43 AM
We still have a glaring weakness in our frontcourt

roster wise, no way. Dejuan Blair and Mcdyess just have to start playing better and Splitter will have to be integrated. Front court is fine as long as Popovich doesn't really on the red rocket over Splitter when the spurs need help.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-11-2010, 02:44 AM
Last year was so frustrating, we'd win 2 then lose 1

jjktkk
12-11-2010, 02:52 AM
The depth on this team is oustanding. Its such a treat watching the Spurs right now.

poop
12-11-2010, 02:55 AM
the team now is what we were all expecting it to be last season.

jjktkk
12-11-2010, 03:21 AM
roster wise, no way. Dejuan Blair and Mcdyess just have to start playing better and Splitter will have to be integrated. Front court is fine as long as Popovich doesn't really on the red rocket over Splitter when the spurs need help.

Please keep hating on Bonner, you seem to be a good luck charm for Matt. He had another good game last night. In spite of Bonner's not being coached well enough for you, hes still playing well.

smeagol
12-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Please keep hating on Bonner, you seem to be a good luck charm for Matt. He had another good game last night. In spite of Bonner's not being coached well enough for you, hes still playing well.

Bonner had two offensive rebounds in a row. That to me shows he brought it last night.

Johnny RIngo
12-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Bonner is a non-factor in the playoffs and Blair doesn't play well against the Lakers. That leaves Duncan, Dice, and a rookie Splitter(who's only getting 12 min a game). Hopefully, our guards show up in force against LA/Dallas because we're pretty much outmatched by their bigs.

SA210
12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
The youth movement has certainly benefited us. Of course, Manu and Parker being healthy has done the same. RJ's vast improvement as well.

To be honest in almost every single offensive factor the Spurs have improved over last year, and it's obviously playing out.

:tu

I do love this, but I really think we need to play defense a whole lot better for 48 minutes. Our defense has improved lately, but if we can get even better, top 3 in the league defensively, then I love our chances. I would prefer the Spurs to still be regarded as a defensive minded ball club. We already know we can score.

jjktkk
12-11-2010, 04:25 PM
:tu

I do love this, but I really think we need to play defense a whole lot better for 48 minutes. Our defense has improved lately, but if we can get even better, top 3 in the league defensively, then I love our chances. I would prefer the Spurs to still be regarded as a defensive minded ball club. We already know we can score.

I don't know about a top 3 defense, but even though the Spurs are rolling on offense, Pop won't stop preaching defense.

timtonymanu
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
It's funny how everyone though our offseason last year was the best one ever until the season started. This summer the only signings Spurs fans were excited about were Splitter and Anderson and people were saying that the Spurs didn't do anything to improve the team. Well it looks like the Spurs proved us wrong again. I think the Spurs made the perfect moves in the summer.

ChuckD
12-11-2010, 05:28 PM
It's funny how everyone though our offseason last year was the best one ever until the season started. This summer the only signings Spurs fans were excited about were Splitter and Anderson and people were saying that the Spurs didn't do anything to improve the team. Well it looks like the Spurs proved us wrong again. I think the Spurs made the perfect moves in the summer.

:lol The best move they made was Pop telling Jefferson that if he wanted to play out his contract, that was fine, but that they'd be trying to trade him anywhere every day until it happened.