PDA

View Full Version : Moving forward, how's your comfort level

LeHeat_Dynasty
12-11-2010, 11:38 AM
with your teams chances of winning a title this year? only applies to Lakers,Celtics & Spurs fans*** (Mavs fans pls feel free not to chime in, seriously, lets make it easier on yourselves)

I have my doubts earlier this season, but I'm really feeling good about the Heat now come June. We are far from perfect, this much is true but I think we can beat the two biggest obstacles in the East in May and the other powerhouses out West in June. I suppose Haslem and Mike miller will also be at full strength in the postseason.

Orlando IMO has regressed. Dwight is a better player but the rest of the squad looks dead. Boston? Yup. looks good now, but I don't think any of their bodies will hold up well 82 + games into the season. We can run all day, and the Celtics will force us into a half court setting, but y' know what? Wade and Lebron are another beast in the playoffs so I'm not worried about the Celtics setting up a half court trap because the Heat are so versatile offensively so its not a concern.

Lakers? Three successful seasons has finally taken a toll on their fragile bodies. Not worried about these cats in LA because Gasol is gassed out and Kobe has lost another step. Without a healthy Gasol, the Lakers chances of three peating is as good as the Hornets Cleveland making the playoffs.

Spurs however are playing like a team whose hungry for a title,I tip my hat off to them. Everyone counted them out beginning of the season and once again they are proving that a fundamentally sound basketball team will always have a chance. If there's one team out there I fear its the Spurs. Manu is playing like an MVP too. I won't be surprised to see a Heat vs Spurs matchup in the Finals TBH.

Pelicans78
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm kinda Iffy on the Mavs. I think we're a strong team, but we need to find a scorer at the SG position to take pressure off of Dirk. We also need Chandler to stay healthy.

LeHeat_Dynasty
12-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I originally asked Mavs fans not to participate for all your sake, but hey you're a nice guy so why not. I do feel the Mavs are what you call "Regular Season Contenders" This year they seem to finally accept the reality that you can't win a champioship if you can't execute a fundamentally sound defense. I think the Lakers of last year are the only team in History to win a championship without playing a solid good all around defense (Thanks to HCA and an injury to Perkins). But all that being said, every championship team has a defensive stopper. Duncan, Garnett, Rodman, Pippen, Jordan, Olajuwon, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Wallace etc the list goes on. The Heat have Lebron James, the Lakers has Pau Gasol, the Spurs still has Tim Duncan, the Magic in Dwight Howard. The Mavs really does not have that one guy that can swing momentum defensively. Jason Kidd is a candidate but honestly he's too old for anything in the playoffs. Dirk? he's a great offensive player, so lets leave it at that.

Pelicans78
12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
I originally asked Mavs fans not to participate for all your sake, but hey you're a nice guy so why not. I do feel the Mavs are what you call "Regular Season Contenders" This year they seem to finally accept the reality that you can't win a champioship if you can't execute a fundamentally sound defense. I think the Lakers of last year are the only team in History to win a championship without playing a solid good all around defense (Thanks to HCA and an injury to Perkins). But all that being said, every championship team has a defensive stopper. Duncan, Garnett, Rodman, Pippen, Jordan, Olajuwon, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Wallace etc the list goes on. The Heat have Lebron James, the Lakers has Pau Gasol, the Spurs still has Tim Duncan, the Magic in Dwight Howard. The Mavs really does not have that one guy that can swing momentum defensively. Jason Kidd is a candidate but honestly he's too old for anything in the playoffs. Dirk? he's a great offensive player, so lets leave it at that.

Actually Tyson Chandler is very good defensively.

LeHeat_Dynasty
12-11-2010, 12:28 PM
I agree, he is, and he's the main reason the Mavs have a different outlook this year but no offense, if Chandler is the Mavs saving grace come playoff time then their postseason hopes looks shaky.

TC reminds me of Marcus Camby. Solid defensive presence but both players rely on length and athleticism. I believe in the playoffs you need a physical intimidating presence. If you lack that at least have some solid defensive players to cover other areas in place. The Heat had Shaq, Boston had Perkins, Pistons with the Wallace's and though the Lakers primarly had Gasol, Kobe, Artest and a one legged Bynum did enough to compensate.