PDA

View Full Version : Living in Argentina

DeadlyDynasty
12-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I'm currently exploring the possibility of moving to Argentina (BA, to be exact), and was curious as to how life is down there? I've saved up a decent amount of bread and two of my old college roommates are moving down there to teach ESL, and they said I should look into it. It would be for 6 months to a year. I'd have to quit both my jobs, but I could take my writing on the road. I'm also pretty sure that the flight medic gig will still be available for me since it's prn anyways, but the hospital job will be lost. Other than that, I would love to experience living in another country and I've heard nothing but good things about Argentina, be it the culture, women, etc. I'm currently trying to learn Spanish but I'm miles away from fluent. I know there's people on this board who live or have lived there, so I was curious as to what they have to say. Also, if I needed to would it be difficult to get a medic gig down there? Thanks.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2010, 03:31 PM
When they find out you are a Laker fan they will kill you and eat you.

Other than that, it should be fun.

Fpoonsie
12-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm also pretty sure that the flight medic gig will still be available for me since it's prn anyways, ...

So, wait. You exclusively do flight medic role-playing prn?

MaNuMaNiAc
12-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Buenos Aires is crap right now. I know, I just moved from there because of it. I say wait a few more years before coming here. Things may start to look up once the bitch we have for president and all her henchmen are out of power.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I hear dove hunting is really good there.

DeadlyDynasty
12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
When they find out you are a Laker fan they will kill you and eat you.

Other than that, it should be fun.

You're right, I'll where my Scola jersey just to be safe.

So, wait. You exclusively do flight medic role-playing prn?
p.r.n. = as needed

Buenos Aires is crap right now. I know, I just moved from there because of it. I say wait a few more years before coming here. Things may start to look up once the bitch we have for president and all her henchmen are out of power.

How are things bad, exactly? Just curious b/c I don't live down there. Things aren't exactly peachy up here either.

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, the fact that things are relatively shitty in Argentina wouldn't change your experience too much in my opinion. You're essentially a tourist, so you won't be there for years...as long as you're able to get that job down there it'll be a fun time. I'd love to go down and live in Buenos Aires again, I've been trying to find some internships down there but I doubt any of that will be what I end up doing.

If you're there with a couple friends and you all have jobs/ a purpose for being there, I don't see how it could be a bad experience. Quite the contrary, the night life is great, the food is amazing, you'll be in a huge city with a lot to explore, etc. Plus, housing and food would be relatively cheap compared to what you're used to spending I'd imagine. If I had the chance, I wouldn't hesitate.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Is it commonplace to see Ginobili and Scola jerseys on the street in regular Argentina cities?

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2010, 06:22 PM
It's for price reasons really why tons of foreigners study abroad in Argentina...if you study Spanish and you're interested in studying abroad, Spain is the obvious choice but also clearly the most expensive option. This is why tons of people go to Buenos Aires...allows you to essentially do everything you can in Madrid except at a much lower cost. A year and a half ago was the last time I was in Buenos Aires and one night I ended up going to a party where most of the people were actually foreigners...a few from France, a few from Italy, and some Argentines...it was pretty cool.

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Is it commonplace to see Ginobili and Scola jerseys on the street in regular Argentina cities?

I doubt it. You'll see more soccer + rugby jerseys more than basketball, but in Bahia Blanca, I'm sure there's tons of Manu jerseys being worn every day because they have the basketball culture and of course it's Manu's hometown.

DeadlyDynasty
12-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, the fact that things are relatively shitty in Argentina wouldn't change your experience too much in my opinion. You're essentially a tourist, so you won't be there for years...as long as you're able to get that job down there it'll be a fun time. I'd love to go down and live in Buenos Aires again, I've been trying to find some internships down there but I doubt any of that will be what I end up doing.

If you're there with a couple friends and you all have jobs/ a purpose for being there, I don't see how it could be a bad experience. Quite the contrary, the night life is great, the food is amazing, you'll be in a huge city with a lot to explore, etc. Plus, housing and food would be relatively cheap compared to what you're used to spending I'd imagine. If I had the chance, I wouldn't hesitate.

Good stuff. :tu

What's the price range of a 1-2 bedroom apt in the city? ballpark (in USD if you can)

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Good stuff. :tu

What's the price range of a 1-2 bedroom apt in the city? ballpark (in USD if you can)

I have no idea man, I've essentially lived in the US for my entire life. I was born in Buenos Aires and lived there until I was 1 lol, but I've been back either every year or every other year throughout my life...most of my family still lives in Buenos Aires, with the exception of my parents and sister. One of the other Argentines could answer this question better than me, or maybe you could find some info online.

Also remember the exchange rate is in your advantage right now. Most commodities and food should seem relatively cheap, but things like clothes and electronics are actually pretty expensive there.

ShoogarBear
12-11-2010, 09:43 PM
You're right, I'll where my Scola jersey just to be safe.

Good idea. I also recommend taking the flight with a three-hour layover in San Antonio.

frodo
12-11-2010, 10:41 PM
buy a handgun there as soon as you can, since you can't carry a gun aboard. manu fans would eat you alive if you let them know that you are a Lakers fan.

koriwhat
12-11-2010, 10:43 PM
do it! i've always wanted to live abroad. well worth the experience.

frodo
12-11-2010, 10:52 PM
do it! i've always wanted to live abroad. well worth the experience.

u already living as an expatriate imo. lol 13yr old calf tats

Jacob1983
12-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Nothing against Argentina, but what about Brazil? Isn't Brazil suppose to be the shit now?

frodo
12-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Nothing against Argentina, but what about Brazil? Isn't Brazil suppose to be the shit now?

OP speaks no Portuguese he would have a totally new language to learn if living in brazil, and you know its not easy thing to learn a new language. having been in america for years you still sound a crackheaded ruhtard which says a lot, no offense though.

IronMaxipad
12-11-2010, 11:59 PM
Argentina is a filthy filthy place OP. Stay away.

Jacob1983
12-12-2010, 12:11 AM
I know that there was a mention of the Spanish language, I was just saying that Brazil might be a better destination in general. Brazil looks more attractive than Argentina. Doesn't Brazil have the largest city in the Western Hemisphere? No need to talk shit about me though. Just sayin'.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-12-2010, 12:17 AM
:tu Great thread. Thats where I'm really interested to do my study abroad semester for college.

Jacob1983
12-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Experience of a lifetime in my opinion. I'ved lived in America all my life and the only other country I've been to is Mexico. If I had the chance, I would do it. Would be nice to live in another country for a year or two.

DeadlyDynasty
12-12-2010, 12:43 AM
OP speaks no Portuguese he would have a totally new language to learn if living in brazil, and you know its not easy thing to learn a new language. having been in america for years you still sound a crackheaded ruhtard which says a lot, no offense though.

This. Portuguese is one of the hardest languages to learn, from what I've heard. Besides, my friends are in Argentina, anyways.

I know that there was a mention of the Spanish language, I was just saying that Brazil might be a better destination in general. Brazil looks more attractive than Argentina. Doesn't Brazil have the largest city in the Western Hemisphere? No need to talk shit about me though. Just sayin'.

Don't get me wrong I would love to check out Brazil, but for Carnivale.

Jacob1983
12-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Nothing wrong with Argentina. If you got the chance and the money to do it, then do it. Argentina has a lot of fine women.

IronMaxipad
12-12-2010, 01:03 AM
I heard Aids is at an all time high in Argentina, OP. If you do go make sure you take a few rubbers and be careful.

Hemotivo
12-12-2010, 01:27 AM
do it mitch

Viva Las Espuelas
12-12-2010, 01:05 PM
:tu Great thread. Thats where I'm really interested to do my study abroad semester for college.

couldn't you study broads here in the states?

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-12-2010, 01:23 PM
couldn't you study broads here in the states?

true :toast

DAF86
12-12-2010, 07:16 PM

That's funny, last time I checked Macri was the one running that city. Well, if you can call that way to whatever the hell he is doing.

On topic, I personally hate Bs As, it's an ok place to spend a week on vacation 'cause there are a lot of things to do, but I wouldn't recomend it to live, I've never been to New York but from the way it is described in films, Bs As would be kinda like NY, a lot of people, a lot of pollution, a lot of stress. I do recomend any other Argie city.

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 08:33 PM
That's funny, last time I checked Macri was the one running that city. Well, if you can call that way to whatever the hell he is doing.

On topic, I personally hate Bs As, it's an ok place to spend a week on vacation 'cause there are a lot of things to do, but I wouldn't recomend it to live, I've never been to New York but from the way it is described in films, Bs As would be kinda like NY, a lot of people, a lot of pollution, a lot of stress. I do recomend any other Argie city.

Pardon the momentary hijack, but what do you think about Uruguay? Have you spent any time there?

hater
12-13-2010, 11:39 AM
save up for bulletproofing your ride if you plan to have a car there

chungoman
12-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Buenos Aires is actually one of the safest big cities in South America. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful, which you SHOULD, but compared to big cities in Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, even Brazil, it's definitely a safe place.

DeadlyDynasty
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
If I make the move it'll be in Jan or Feb...right now I'd say it's 20/80 I make the move. I will, however, be taking a contract medic job in So. America (not sure where) that's only supposed to be a month or two, in February. It's for helping flood victims, setting up clinics, providing medical care, etc. Not sure where that would be, probably Brazil b/c of the Amazon. I'd like to set up shop down there before I go, but things are in flux right now so we'll see.

cheguevara
12-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Buenos Aires is actually one of the safest big cities in South America. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful, which you SHOULD, but compared to big cities in Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, even Brazil, it's definitely a safe place.

This makes no sense. Mexico is not S.A.

There are only a handful of big cities in South America and Buenos Aires is definitely one of the most dangerous.

Only more dangerous cities than it are Caracas, Rio, Medellin IMO

Safer cities: Santiago, Lima, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Guayaquil, etc

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
BBQ and bomb strange...that's two reasons to go to Buenos Aires for sure...

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 04:05 PM

There are only a handful of big cities in South America and Buenos Aires is definitely one of the most dangerous.

Only more dangerous cities than it are Caracas, Rio, Medellin IMO

Safer cities: Santiago, Lima, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Belo Horizonte, Guayaquil, etc

Bogota?

My take: nothing to stress about, Deadly Dynasty... it seems people don't know how to put things into context when giving advice, or they simply don't want you to visit Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Homicide-world.png

Argentina has similar murder rates as much of the United States, and according to this chart, similar to where a lot of posters are probably from on this forum... Texas, California, Florida, and myself (PA). As long as you and your friends aren't all 5'6" and 140 lbs, I don't think you have much to worry about. You'll be in Buenos Aires, likely you wouldn't stay in a crappy area since with the exchange rate and what you're accustomed to paying, you can likely choose any part of the city to live. A lot of the crime in Buenos Aires, like in many places, is about taking advantage over the weak...women, smaller children are more vulnerable on the streets, and a lot of the crime includes guys trying to jump these people for quick cash or w/e they may have in their purse or wallet.

When you go for a night out with your boys, I'd say your risk is lower than others...you won't be woman by herself walking the night. There's some crappy areas in the city but that's easily avoidable because you'll likely already be living close to a lot of the hot spots for night life, and you can easily catch cabs in Buenos Aires...it seems like there's more cabs than civilian cars to be honest. During the day? I don't know how you'd ever feel at risk.

Let's face it, Buenos Aires is a big city, and in big cities...yes, you need to be alert, watch for pick-pocketing, make sure your apartment door is locked up sufficiently, and at night don't stroll around crappy areas and go out in a group and you avoid pretty much all of the obvious dangers.

Ignignokt
12-13-2010, 04:38 PM
If you want your kids to come out like alvarez, wear you get caught carressing your male friends and sharing the same necklace as a symbolic act of anal agression the night before. Move to argentina.

Plus all the Jew Wop Beaner pussy you could get tbh

chungoman
12-13-2010, 05:38 PM

My bad. I meant Latin America.

I said big cities. Buenos Aires has as many people as Santiago, Salvador, Belo Horizonte and Guayaquil combined. I’ve never been to Lima so I give you that, but Sao Paulo still has some major violence issues to solve. Improving fast, though.

Capt Bringdown
12-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Experience of a lifetime in my opinion. I'ved lived in America all my life and the only other country I've been to is Mexico. If I had the chance, I would do it. Would be nice to live in another country for a year or two.

Do it. I've worked/lived in Thailand since '02. Life changing/perspective changing experience.
I reckon if more Americans experienced non-military travel abroad we'd all be a lot better off.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-14-2010, 12:10 AM
Lol at the people trying to troll in this thread and getting an epic fail.

To the OP:
There are currently many foreigners working or studying in Buenos Aires for economic (1 dollar= 4pesos) and cultural reasons. Most of them are Europeans, but there are also many Americans, Australians and people from other Latin American countries.

The standard of life you could enjoy would be quite good if you have a reasonable amount of dollars saved. Usually the people from abroad that come here to make a living is somewhere in their 20s and 30somethings.

About the posibilities of getting a temporary job in the health sector, I honestly don't have a clue since I don't know much people working there and I hardly visit a doctor (thank god!). What I do know is that we have both private and public healthcare systems, with privately owned and run hospitals and clinics, also state-run, and even some which are a mix of both. The figures about health are very close to those of the developed world, but some carrers (like a doctor) is likely to get a job anywhere.

For renting an aparment, it depends a lot on which zone you choose. The north-eastern side of town is the poshest and safest, and logically, the most expensive. Foreigners usually move to neighbourhoods like:

- Palermo (trendy, full of bars, discos, world food restaurants, nightlife)
- Recoleta (more expensive than Palermo, a little bit quieter in the night but more busy during the day since it's closer to downtown)
- San Telmo (also a nightlife zone, but a little less trendy and more of the "real thing")
- Puerto Madero (newest, safest and most expensive zone in town)
- Belgrano, Nuñez, Colegiales, etc (More family-like hoods with less flats and more houses)
- A minority chooses some nice neighbourhoods in the west, for a slower life (like Caballito or Devoto).

You can pretty much tell which zones are good and which are not that good by looking how much the average rent is for a flat in here:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1233807

(Scroll down to the map, those numbers are from November 2009, the numbers have gone up a bit since, but the dollar is also stronger here so it kind of balances out).

Anyway, my advice would be to do it, but I'm probably too biased for this city. I've visited over 30 countries in the world, some great, some good, some crap, but I always feel happy when returning here.

If you want more, let me know
Cheers.

DeadlyDynasty
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Lol at the people trying to troll in this thread and getting an epic fail.

To the OP:
There are currently many foreigners working or studying in Buenos Aires for economic (1 dollar= 4pesos) and cultural reasons. Most of them are Europeans, but there are also many Americans, Australians and people from other Latin American countries.

The standard of life you could enjoy would be quite good if you have a reasonable amount of dollars saved. Usually the people from abroad that come here to make a living is somewhere in their 20s and 30somethings.

About the posibilities of getting a temporary job in the health sector, I honestly don't have a clue since I don't know much people working there and I hardly visit a doctor (thank god!). What I do know is that we have both private and public healthcare systems, with privately owned and run hospitals and clinics, also state-run, and even some which are a mix of both. The figures about health are very close to those of the developed world, but some carrers (like a doctor) is likely to get a job anywhere.

For renting an aparment, it depends a lot on which zone you choose. The north-eastern side of town is the poshest and safest, and logically, the most expensive. Foreigners usually move to neighbourhoods like:

- Palermo (trendy, full of bars, discos, world food restaurants, nightlife)
- Recoleta (more expensive than Palermo, a little bit quieter in the night but more busy during the day since it's closer to downtown)
- San Telmo (also a nightlife zone, but a little less trendy and more of the "real thing")
- Puerto Madero (newest, safest and most expensive zone in town)
- Belgrano, Nuñez, Colegiales, etc (More family-like hoods with less flats and more houses)
- A minority chooses some nice neighbourhoods in the west, for a slower life (like Caballito or Devoto).

You can pretty much tell which zones are good and which are not that good by looking how much the average rent is for a flat in here:
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/nota.asp?nota_id=1233807

(Scroll down to the map, those numbers are from November 2009, the numbers have gone up a bit since, but the dollar is also stronger here so it kind of balances out).

Anyway, my advice would be to do it, but I'm probably too biased for this city. I've visited over 30 countries in the world, some great, some good, some crap, but I always feel happy when returning here.

If you want more, let me know
Cheers.

Thanks man, I appreciate the info...I'm going to be looking into this over the next couple weeks and I'll let ya know if I got any more q's.

:toast

ALVAREZ6
12-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Thanks man, I appreciate the info...I'm going to be looking into this over the next couple weeks and I'll let ya know if I got any more q's.

:toast
Props to Manu'sMagicalLeftHand for mentioning my home neighborhood(s), if you will...

I suggest looking for places in Palermo or Recoleta...you'll probably enjoy living in those parts the best.

Tons of green parks, shopping malls, restaurants, bars, etc. in the middle of it all.

ALVAREZ6
12-14-2010, 12:42 AM
What neighborhoods, if from BA, are the rest of you Argentines from?

I'm most familiar with Belgrano

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
12-14-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm from Devoto, mostly a peaceful, quiet and nice place to live in.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Great info Manu'sMagicalLeftHand, thanks

Sportcamper
12-14-2010, 11:29 AM
I recommend before leaving to Argentina that you buy Pat Riley’s Book “The Winner Within” and read it several times…Being a Lakers fan & being part of Los Angeles means that you represent greatness…It may not be a responsibility that you want but it is something you own….The world looks up to “US”….Most of the world has never met people who are true champions, people who don’t settle for mediocrity, people who shower on a daily basis…

When I am wearing any Lakers Championship jackets, hats or jerseys I know that people will want to engage in a conversation with me….I always make time for them, give them my autograph & I am always polite to these folks even if they interrupt me during a meal…These people want to know what it is like to be associated with a team with decades of excellence….Most of these folks are forced to wear silly John Deer hats & forced to put team stickers on their pick-up trucks just to fit in & be accepted….In truth, they are embarrassed about their local teams…They could care less about their Euro Floppers…They want to hear real life stories about Wilt, Byron, Elgin, Chick, Kareem & Jerry…(Just to name a few)…

Never forget that you are a Show-Time Winner Within….Look sharp, dress nice, tip well, be classy, the entire world expects it! :tu

boutons_deux
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/news/slideshow/AP-Top-Photos-2141.php#photo-7

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/news/slideshow/AP-Top-Photos-2141.php#photo-6

======

yes, Argentina riots look just like LA riots when classy Lacker fans celebrate.

Lacker Fans, GFY :)

Sportcamper
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
When the President of the United States of America needs cheering up, he invites the Los Angeles Lakers to visit him at the White House…Is there a better example of how important Los Angeles & the Lakers are to the entire world?

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1213/la_g_lakers_obama01_288.jpg

kaji157
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
If I make the move it'll be in Jan or Feb...right now I'd say it's 20/80 I make the move. I will, however, be taking a contract medic job in So. America (not sure where) that's only supposed to be a month or two, in February. It's for helping flood victims, setting up clinics, providing medical care, etc. Not sure where that would be, probably Brazil b/c of the Amazon. I'd like to set up shop down there before I go, but things are in flux right now so we'll see.

Just to clarify things of you.
I´ll put you in persopective with other economies and situations overall Latin America and Europe.

Economically, Argentina is a better choice than both Brasil, Chile, Uruguay any country in Europe. The exchange is 4-1 in Dollars favor and will likely be 4.20-1 by the time you arrive. For matters of Goverment Interest the change will never be below 3.70-1 for sure as Argentina lives as of now from commodities exports.
From an infrestructure point of view, Buenos Aires is a first world city, maybe not Argentina as a whole, but Buenos Aires for sure is. It has the largest metro of any south american city, and living in Buenos Aires you can go virtually anywhere on public transport which is very cheap (bus tickets are a quarter dollar and Train tickets are 0.20 dollar cents). Renting here is very variable, depending on location, and time being the main factors. Renting a place for one person for only a couple of weeks would be expensive, say about 400 dollars a week a one person flat well located. But once you rent for a couple of months i say you could get a 3 beddrooms flat in Palermo (one of the nicest and most common places for tourists in BA) for about 2400 dollars a month, for flat where 4 people can live comfortly enough.
Security-wise Buenos Aires is one of the safest metropolis in latin america, taking in mind that is a city daily filled of 6 million people, if you take a good care of yourself you should be fine.
Foreigners communities are big in almost any university here, mainly because of the fact that our National Public university is free and is very well rated overall, and that the other options are quite cheap for foreign travelers.
If you are looking for a higher degree, PHD´s and Masters can be up to 4000 pesos a month (1000 dollars) in the most expensive accademy here. Down from there you have also many options.
Health wise the country is well eqquiped, health here is very cheap (you can look in the internet about health-tourism in buenos aires which has been developed lately) and if you get a good insurance you should be fine. A complete health-care insuranse, meaning that you can even have plastic surgery, is about 400-800 pesos a month (100-200 dollars).
Once you are here with friends, the nigh has many options, you have places to go on virtually any day of the week. The average price of a familiar beer (Litro) a bar is 20 pesos (5 dollars), a drink is between 25 and 40 depending where you are.
Good luck if you come here and good luck if you don´t.

And the chicks are great =P

DeadlyDynasty
12-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Just to clarify things of you.
I´ll put you in persopective with other economies and situations overall Latin America and Europe.

Economically, Argentina is a better choice than both Brasil, Chile, Uruguay any country in Europe. The exchange is 4-1 in Dollars favor and will likely be 4.20-1 by the time you arrive. For matters of Goverment Interest the change will never be below 3.70-1 for sure as Argentina lives as of now from commodities exports.
From an infrestructure point of view, Buenos Aires is a first world city, maybe not Argentina as a whole, but Buenos Aires for sure is. It has the largest metro of any south american city, and living in Buenos Aires you can go virtually anywhere on public transport which is very cheap (bus tickets are a quarter dollar and Train tickets are 0.20 dollar cents). Renting here is very variable, depending on location, and time being the main factors. Renting a place for one person for only a couple of weeks would be expensive, say about 400 dollars a week a one person flat well located. But once you rent for a couple of months i say you could get a 3 beddrooms flat in Palermo (one of the nicest and most common places for tourists in BA) for about 2400 dollars a month, for flat where 4 people can live comfortly enough.
Security-wise Buenos Aires is one of the safest metropolis in latin america, taking in mind that is a city daily filled of 6 million people, if you take a good care of yourself you should be fine.
Foreigners communities are big in almost any university here, mainly because of the fact that our National Public university is free and is very well rated overall, and that the other options are quite cheap for foreign travelers.
If you are looking for a higher degree, PHD´s and Masters can be up to 4000 pesos a month (1000 dollars) in the most expensive accademy here. Down from there you have also many options.
Health wise the country is well eqquiped, health here is very cheap (you can look in the internet about health-tourism in buenos aires which has been developed lately) and if you get a good insurance you should be fine. A complete health-care insuranse, meaning that you can even have plastic surgery, is about 400-800 pesos a month (100-200 dollars).
Once you are here with friends, the nigh has many options, you have places to go on virtually any day of the week. The average price of a familiar beer (Litro) a bar is 20 pesos (5 dollars), a drink is between 25 and 40 depending where you are.
Good luck if you come here and good luck if you don´t.

And the chicks are great =P

Muchas Gracias, I appreciate all the info from everybody.
Unfortunately I found out this morning that after Christmas I'm being deployed to Bogota, Columbia for roughly 6 weeks to aid flood victims and treat cholera/malaria patients. Hopefully that experience doesn't jade me from the rest of So. America