PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Blazers Previews

duncan228
12-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Game is Sunday, 2:30 CST.

David vs. Goliath, Trailblazers at Spurs (http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/ArticleDisplay/tabid/201/ItemID/2123/Default.aspx)
Written by: Grant Lucas

...Portland (12-11) rides its four-game win streak into the AT&T Center to match up with the San Antonio Spurs (19-3) on Sunday.

...Projected to start for the Trail Blazers are Wesley Matthews, LaMarcus Aldridge, Marcus Camby, Brandon Roy and Andre Miller.

...During its recent success, Portland has seen its starters post better than 78 points per game while shooting nearly 45 percent from the field. Matthews has led the way with 21.5 points in the last four contests, as well as a 50 percent mark from the floor.

...The Trail Blazers have registered 101 points per game in this four-game stretch, while holding their opponents to less than 92. Compare that to the six-game losing streak when Portland put up less than 87 points per contest while allowing nearly 95.

...Although the Trail Blazers have taken the last five matchups and six of the last seven, they take on a San Antonio squad that ranks third in the league in scoring at 106.96 points per game, while shooting 47 percent from the floor and an NBA-best 41 percent from long range.

...Portland will be without Greg Oden and Elli0t Williams, as they are both sidelined with knee injuries.

Read more... (http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/ArticleDisplay/tabid/201/ItemID/2123/Default.aspx)

http://www.iamatrailblazersfan.com/ArticleDisplay/tabid/201/ItemID/2123/Default.aspx

timtonymanu
12-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Just a few days ago, I said this would be an easy win for San Antonio. But Blazers have been playing much better lately and they always create a bad matchup for the Spurs. I think the Spurs can handle them though.

Unfortunately I'll be flying a long flight tomorrow so I will miss this game. GO SPURS GO!!!!

TDMVPDPOY
12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
we goin to win this game comfortable 15pt+

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
This should be an easier one for the Spurs. :flag:

ChuckD
12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Roy's play has really slipped, and Batum has almost dropped out of the rotation. Aldridge is still a tough matchup, but he's about the only one, and not enough to carry them to a win, I don't think.

DesignatedT
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Going to be a close game.

Anonymous Cowherd
12-11-2010, 07:15 PM
No Grades for the Hawks game? :(

duncan228
12-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Portland (12-11) at San Antonio (19-3) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010121224)
Tipoff: 3:30 pm EST Sun Dec 12, 2010
TV: CSNW, FSSW
By Matt Beardmore

The San Antonio Spurs continued their domination of four opponents to open a season-high six-game homestand.

Their recent history with the Portland Trail Blazers has not been as successful.

Looking for their fifth straight win, the Spurs on Sunday night will try to end a five-game losing streak to the Trail Blazers, who are going for their first 5-0 stretch since March.

After winning their 14th straight over Minnesota to open its homestand on Dec. 3, San Antonio (19-3) won for the seventh time in eight games against New Orleans before posting its 10th consecutive victory over Golden State on Wednesday.

The Spurs extended their run Friday with a 108-92 victory over Atlanta, which has lost 13 in a row in San Antonio.

Led by 18 points apiece from Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson, who hit a season-high five 3-pointers, six Spurs scored in double figures. That kind of balance has been a nightly occurrence for coach Gregg Popovich’s team, with five players averaging between 11.6 and 20.0 points.

“To have as many people scoring as we have scoring has been something that has helped (Ginobili, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan) not have to shoulder the load every night,” Popovich said Saturday.

“We’ve never had this balance, because we have guys coming off the bench (George Hill, Gary Neal, Tiago Splitter and Matt Bonner) that are contributing consistently, not just once in a while. It’s something we’ve started to count on.”

The Spurs can no longer count on a victory when they face Portland. Winners of 20 of 22 in this matchup from Feb. 11, 2003-Feb. 25, 2009, the Spurs have dropped five in a row - including two straight at the AT&T Center - to the Trail Blazers.

Portland (12-11) continues its four-game road trip after opening with a 101-94 win over Phoenix on Friday.

Coming off a 3-0 homestand and playing the second of a back-to-back, the Trail Blazers hit just 4 of 18 shots in the final quarter but held the league’s highest-scoring team to more than 14 points below its season average.

“We were running off fumes,” said coach Nate McMillan. “They sucked it up and made enough shots late to get this game.”

The Trail Blazers are holding teams to 91.8 points and 31.2 percent from 3-point range during their four-game run, but they could be tested against a Spurs team that is among the NBA’s best with 107.0 points per game while shooting a league-high 41.0 percent from beyond the arc.

Jefferson has been the Spurs’ biggest threat from long range over the last five games, hitting 15 of 28. Last season, Jefferson was 1 for 9 in three games versus Portland.

The Blazers’ Wesley Matthews, has been outstanding since McMillan reinserted him into the starting lineup seven games ago, averaging 20.0 points and shooting 45.7 percent (16 of 35) from 3-point range.

The backcourt matchups between Parker and Andre Miller and Ginobili and Brandon Roy should be intriguing as should the post battle between Duncan and LaMarcus Aldridge.

Duncan, who will play his 1,000th career regular-season game - the 94th player to reach that mark - is averaging 17.4 points and 11.2 boards in 23 home games versus Portland.

Aldridge scored 19.3 points per game with 8.7 rebounds as the Trail Blazers swept San Antonio last season for the first time since 1996-97, the year before Duncan was drafted.

Team Stat Leaders

Manu Ginobili SA 20.0

Rebounds
Marcus Camby Por 10.9
Tim Duncan SA 9.0

Assists
Andre Miller Por 7.3
Tony Parker SA 7.0

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010121224

MAx_Eric
12-11-2010, 09:52 PM
It's gonna be another trap game
Can Blair play well against Camby, another good rebounder?

Libri
12-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Roy is having some serious knee problems but he has been playing better lately. He had 26 points Friday night.

Nathan89
12-11-2010, 10:01 PM

Probably not Camby is taller than 6'9.

MAx_Eric
12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Probably not Camby is taller than 6'9.

But i don't think Blair can guard LaMarcus Aldridge....
LaMarcus Aldridge will score a lot on Blair..
it should be TD vs LaMarcus Aldridge

ChuckD
12-11-2010, 10:19 PM
Roy is having some serious knee problems but he has been playing better lately. He had 26 points Friday night.

He's going to have good nights, and bad nights, but more of the latter. He still scores, but he is venturing less and less into the paint. That's reflected in his drop from 47-48 FG% the last two years to 42% this year. He also creates less for others from the perimeter than he did from the paint.

ChuckD
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
But i don't think Blair can guard LaMarcus Aldridge....
LaMarcus Aldridge will score a lot on Blair..
it should be TD vs LaMarcus Aldridge

Camby isn't that good at posting up, preferring to shoot jumpers. Put Blair on him.

duncan228
12-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Sunday: Trail Blazers (12-11) at Spurs (19-3) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/11/sunday-trail-blazers-12-11-at-spurs-19-3/)
Jeff McDonald

...Portland owns the league’s longest active winning streak vs. the Spurs, winning five in a row...

...After 10-of-21 performance vs. Atlanta, the Spurs’ 3-point percentage is up to NBA-best 41.0. …

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2010/12/11/sunday-trail-blazers-12-11-at-spurs-19-3/

bresilhac
12-12-2010, 12:17 AM

Not really. The true trap game will be next week at Denver. They'll play Milwaukee in San Antonio on Wednesday night then they'll have to travel to cold Colorado for a game on Thursday. It's the same situation that brought about the ridiculous loss to the Clippers recently. It's simply poor scheduling on the part of the league.

duncan228
12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Advanced Scouting: Portland Trail Blazers at San Antonio Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-stats-advanced-scouting-portland-trail-blazers-san-antonio-spurs)
by Scott Sereday
48 Minutes of Hell

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-stats-advanced-scouting-portland-trail-blazers-san-antonio-spurs

TJastal
12-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Roy's play has really slipped, and Batum has almost dropped out of the rotation. Aldridge is still a tough matchup, but he's about the only one, and not enough to carry them to a win, I don't think.

Well.....

Matthews has stepped up his game big time to make up for Roy and Batum is still a major part of their rotation last time I checked a box score.

Gonna be a tough game I think. Pryzbilla is back now too, so they have a size advantage in the frontcourt, esp since Pop will likely play the ginger copiously.

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Well.....

Matthews has stepped up his game big time to make up for Roy and Batum is still a major part of their rotation last time I checked a box score.

Gonna be a tough game I think. Pryzbilla is back now too, so they have a size advantage in the frontcourt, esp since Pop will likely play the ginger copiously.

Portland is starting Matthews at the 3, so that gives us size advantage at the 3 and the 2. Camby is a jump shooter, and plays nowhere near his size on offense.

Portland with a degraded Roy is like us with hurt Manu: nowhere the same team. We should win this game if we give it the proper attention.

DMC
12-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Big moment in the game so far was Manu chasing down and stopping the fast break. That was a 4 point swing, and it cost the Blazers a time out when they could not inbound the ball. They finally inbound to a turnover which resulted in a Manu fast break and two FTs for the Spurs.

It might not be obvious for everyone, but Manu changes the game in ways that are almost immeasurable because he brings so many intangibles into it. You won't see a 4pt swing in the box score. It's cleverly disguised as a steal and two free throws. No one seems to notice missing points except the team who's missing them.

At half time, I doubt the Spurs keep shooting 70% from 3, and I doubt they go without a miss from the FT line, however their defense and hustle so far has been great, especially true for George Hill. He came in and right away started playing like he just left another game, totally energized.