PDA

View Full Version : Are the SPURS the anti-HEAT?

lotr1trekkie
12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Spurs are morphing into a different team. NO longer the Big 3 + some support. The Spurs are becoming a 12 player team. Obviously, in key moments,the will need to shine. During this year's playoffs it will be the non-starters who will determine the outcome. When Splitter and Anderson get into the mix, the Spurs will have a backup lineup where holding the line is not acceptable. Every other team will be pressed to play their STARS 36+ a game. The current Spurs lineup can score + 100 at will. Defense will determine the champion.

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-12-2010, 12:14 PM
By the looks of it, yes.

greyforest
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
lets see...

coach in control of the team
no egomaniacal players
no media whores
no extreme hype
small market
humility in victory

yeah, lots of stark contrasts.

TJastal
12-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry, but saying the spurs are 12 deep in a comparison sense is overstating this teams capabilities.

This team still has plenty of weaknesses. Duncan's knees, Ginobili's ankles, Parker's psyche, Bonner, Gary Neal, lack of athleticism and height in the frontcourt (Blair), Pop's stubborness (to play Tiago). We don't know how Anderson is gonna be when he returns, either. Plus he's a rookie.

The new up tempo style is lookin' good right now and has the spurs scoring a ton of points, but in playoff basketball teams will start busting their left nut getting back on defense and then those easy points are no longer that easy and the games become more half court oriented.

Right now the most you could say the spurs have is "the big 5" (TD, TP, MG, RJ, GH) and valuable roleplayers around those 5.

Just my 2 pennies.

polandprzem
12-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Wow you have two?

TJastal
12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Wow you have two?

Hey, if you wanna indulge yourself in these brassy venerations, be my guest. Still way too early to be making them if you ask me.

Rummpd
12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
"2. The Spurs’ dominance - The Lakers and Celtics were expected to be great from the start. Even the Heat. But Gregg Popovich’s Spurs? They are the NBA’s best team at 15-2. It’s not a product of multiple superstar players. More so it’s chemistry. They are the anti-Heat at this point of the season. They are a perfect puzzle of complimentary players. Sure they have a bunch of very good players, but none that anyone would rank in the NBA’s top ten. The question is whether older guns like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobli (injury-old not age-old) can remain healthy enough to play at a high level into the playoffs and beyond."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/531977-10-biggest-nba-surprises

There was another thread about this about a week ago before the Heat got hot and the Spurs remained so - yes the Spurs are the Anti-Heat, Anti- Lakers, anti-Celtics, anti-Bulls etc. they do what they do without great media attention and do it well.

TJastal
12-12-2010, 02:00 PM
"2. The Spurs’ dominance - The Lakers and Celtics were expected to be great from the start. Even the Heat. But Gregg Popovich’s Spurs? They are the NBA’s best team at 15-2. It’s not a product of multiple superstar players. More so it’s chemistry. They are the anti-Heat at this point of the season. They are a perfect puzzle of complimentary players. Sure they have a bunch of very good players, but none that anyone would rank in the NBA’s top ten. The question is whether older guns like Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobli (injury-old not age-old) can remain healthy enough to play at a high level into the playoffs and beyond."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/531977-10-biggest-nba-surprises

There was another thread about this about a week ago before the Heat got hot and the Spurs remained so - yes the Spurs are the Anti-Heat, Anti- Lakers, anti-Celtics, anti-Bulls etc. they do what they do without great media attention and do it well.

I love the irony in this thread.

Proclaiming the spurs the great "anti-Heat" and then practically crowning em the champs already before the season is a quarter of the way over.

:lol

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I love the irony in this thread.

Proclaiming the spurs the great "anti-Heat" and then practically crowning em the champs already before the season is a quarter of the way over.

:lol

The difference is that the Spurs have done it before, and have actually done something this year to warrant the optimism, something other than a flashy, bragadocious show at their arena over the summer.

td4mvp3
12-12-2010, 02:52 PM
not buying it. it's early, yes, but also i still feel like the competition has been the lower-level folks. against heavy hitters, i don't see us doing so great. as for being the anti-heat, only the lakers and celtics would not qualify. every other team doesn't have an assemblage of great stars.

pawe
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
If the Spurs cant play defense like the championship seasons eons ago then might as well outscore the other teams. See if they can outgun our offensive juggernaut.

TJastal
12-12-2010, 02:54 PM
The difference is that the Spurs have done it before, and have actually done something this year to warrant the optimism, something other than a flashy, bragadocious show at their arena over the summer.

Incorrect. Heat have "done it before" too. Maybe not with Lebron but Wade has 1 trophy back in 2006.

And only 1/4 of the way through the season, I prefer guarded optimism.

Man In Black
12-12-2010, 02:57 PM
They ain't. That's the beauty of this team. Their qualities are uniquely their own. There aren't any other teams out there that have an alpha dog former MVP who leads as quietly but also as fiercely as any other leader out there. The injury thing is over-played by blogger and established media alike. Bean had surgery over the summer and no one talks about the implications. They're the Spurs should be looked like as to when Pop said,"He's Manu Ginobili."

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Incorrect. Heat have "done it before" too. Maybe not with Lebron but Wade has 1 trophy back in 2006.

And only 1/4 of the way through the season, I prefer guarded optimism.

My bad. :lol One guy, one time, to our three guys at least three times each.

And you don't prefer guarded optimism. You prefer pessimism. Not really the same thing at all.

jimo2305
12-12-2010, 03:52 PM
yea it's hardcore pessimism consering the so called 'weaknesses' mentioned haven't even shown up.. aside from our patent-like mastery of defense, spurs are doing everything else right..

duncan's knees? - duncan is getting much needed rest during games compared to last year and just about every year before that
manu's ankles? - manu has been playing more minutes but they've been gradually decreasing lately
parker's psyche? - he's only managed to score single digits twice out of the rest of the games he's played in. http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tony_parker/game_by_game_stats.html looks like it's right where it needs to be..

bonner and gary neal's lack of athelticism? - lol come on.. now we're just makin' stuff up.. i know it's the cool thing to hate bonner nowadays but i'm not in that club.. as funny as it sounds.. putting bonner on the floor stretches team defenses.. and makes us deadly IF and WHEN bonner hits those 3 pointers.. he's only one of the top shooters int he league today percentage wise.. same can be said for neal who's also leading his rookie peers with 3 potiners..

yes.. it's foolish to assume that spurs will be in the finals.. but it's not foolish to hope.. especially after the kind of season they're having right now.. but tbh.. im not going to say the lakers have a better chance than we do of making it to the finals.. or the celtics or the heat or the magic.. nobody "knows" who will make it to the finals.. but i won't buy into a team's hype because of their name..

TJastal
12-12-2010, 04:58 PM
I HAVE seen games where Duncan looks like he was dipped in corn starch. I HAVE seen games where Parker's mind wasn't all there. I HAVE seen games where Manu has been banged up a bit and is worn down. I HAVE seen games where Neal can't defend his own shadow and Bonner can't contribute in any meaningful way. I HAVE seen Pop's reluctance to stray from his comfort zone and give Splitter meaningful minutes, which is likely going to bite the spurs in the ass at some point in the playoffs when Bonner's gimmick 3pt shooting folds under pressure.

Now I'm looking at the schedule, the next 14 games are going to be absolutely brutal. No cream puff games except for the wizards, IMO. If the spurs can get through this stretch of games still sitting pretty I'll start to entertain some crazy ideas of winning championships.

jimo2305
12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
i've seen those games too lol.. IMO despite those games like the ones against the hornets and rockets earlier this season where we looked lost half the time and managed to scrap out the W.. i think we're lookin' better overall as the season progresses..

if we were playing like this in '08-'09 season.. we wouldn't be so pessimistic overall.. but rather saying.. they're the same ol' spurs..

if those players didn't make those mistakes, then they might as well be a perfect team :D

rascal
12-12-2010, 05:27 PM
You fools are the same ones who thought the spurs were championship bound last season. Lets see how they match up with a healthy Laker team first.

maddnezz
12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah, but you got a home wrecker and a rapist.You got a rapist,2 nutcases, a kardasien and colonel sanders ......shut up bitch!:ihit

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Why the Heat? Sounds like you are making the Heat the team to beat. Here's a news flash: There's still a team that wears yellow that has two rings with recent sequential dates on them. That's who matters. The Heat have their own row to hoe.

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, but you got a home wrecker and a rapist.

Your last 5 titles came from the works of a rapist. You should be shaking in your pink panties.

DMC
12-12-2010, 06:38 PM
You got a rapist,2 nutcases, a kardasien and colonel sanders ......shut up bitch!:ihit
Don't forget Sasha.

Chucho
12-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Your last 2 titles came from the works of a rapist. You should be shaking in your pink panties.

Fixed. Being second fiddle doesn't count.

HeavyWeight
12-12-2010, 08:44 PM
basketball teams will start busting their left nut
yum

JR3
12-13-2010, 01:43 AM
I'm sorry, but saying the spurs are 12 deep in a comparison sense is overstating this teams capabilities.

This team still has plenty of weaknesses. Duncan's knees, Ginobili's ankles, Parker's psyche, Bonner, Gary Neal, lack of athleticism and height in the frontcourt (Blair), Pop's stubborness (to play Tiago). We don't know how Anderson is gonna be when he returns, either. Plus he's a rookie.

The new up tempo style is lookin' good right now and has the spurs scoring a ton of points, but in playoff basketball teams will start busting their left nut getting back on defense and then those easy points are no longer that easy and the games become more half court oriented.

Right now the most you could say the spurs have is "the big 5" (TD, TP, MG, RJ, GH) and valuable roleplayers around those 5.

Just my 2 pennies.

best record in the league- how weak do we have to be!

TJastal
12-13-2010, 02:04 AM
best record in the league- how weak do we have to be!

My point is simply that it's only a quarter of the way through the season and the spurs have yet to face the best teams in the league. Relax. Have a beer. Don't get excited and prematurely ejaculate all over spurstalk. That's all.

wunderkindepiphany
12-13-2010, 02:59 AM
you should have said that at first cause thats different than how youve been bashing our team for your last few posts. prematurely ejaculate haha

cutewizard
12-13-2010, 04:11 AM
lets see...

coach in control of the team
no egomaniacal players
no media whores
no extreme hype
small market
humility in victory

yeah, lots of stark contrasts.

Perfectly stated!
Captures the Spurs spirit!

Go Spurs go! Bring on Dallas and LA!

Ginobillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiii iiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJastal
12-13-2010, 04:15 AM
you should have said that at first cause thats different than how youve been bashing our team for your last few posts. prematurely ejaculate haha

I'm sorry your parents pampered you as a child.

wunderkindepiphany
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
my parents and myself could prolly all single-handedly whup your ass tough guy. lol. I like how you get called out and then resort to making fun of my family as a comeback. nice.

TJastal
12-13-2010, 03:32 PM
my parents and myself could prolly all single-handedly whup your ass tough guy. lol. I like how you get called out and then resort to making fun of my family as a comeback. nice.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't make fun of family.

If it makes you feel better I found a baby pic of jjktkk and you, and u guys are just adorable!

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7227/27tg.gif

wunderkindepiphany
12-13-2010, 05:06 PM
lol thats good

UnWantedTheory
12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
my bad. :lol one guy, one time, to our three guys at least three times each.

and you don't prefer guarded optimism. You prefer pessimism. Not really the same thing at all.

UnWantedTheory
12-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Why the Heat? Sounds like you are making the Heat the team to beat. Here's a news flash: There's still a team that wears yellow that has two rings with recent sequential dates on them. That's who matters. The Heat have their own row to hoe.
Pretty much what I was thinking. I am not really seeing these "brassy venerations" you spoke of TJ. I mean we should all have a healthy dose of respect for our teams, but it seems we are arguing points that have not truly been brought up yet. The Heat are not the team to be compared to & there is nothing wrong with the optimism we fans have, considering our record thus far. But some will argue just for the hell of it.

TJastal
12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Pretty much what I was thinking. I am not really seeing these "brassy venerations" you spoke of TJ. I mean we should all have a healthy dose of respect for our teams, but it seems we are arguing points that have not truly been brought up yet. The Heat are not the team to be compared to & there is nothing wrong with the optimism we fans have, considering our record thus far. But some will argue just for the hell of it.

Well that's funny you say that since I'd say 75% of the spurs fans picked the heat to win the title before the season.

UnWantedTheory
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Well that's funny you say that since I'd say 75% of the spurs fans picked the heat to win the title before the season.
And?

TJastal
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
And?

And your point is diminished to nothing.

UnWantedTheory
12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
And your point is diminished to nothing.
Im not even sure you know what your point was. Because people picked the Heat before the season, means nothing as to why we should be comparing them. Why do you persist on knocking down the Spurs? Also, it seems you are trying to validate the Heat. Where exactly do you stand?
Oh, btw, I understand your point of not getting too excited, Im just not sure why that applys to a comparison with the Heat.

Man In Black
12-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Curious...how does one EXACTLY back up the assertion that says 75% I Spurs Fans picked the heat to win the title?

Was there an official poll? Did someone take a census of Spurs fans the World over? Or is this just an ASSUMPTION.

I can happily say that I'm one of the guys that isn't in the 75% you talked about. I got 15-1 odds that say the Spurs will win the title in Vegas. If it happens, I'm ecstatic, if it doesn't, I'm not but I believe in the organization and team enough to know they'll be playing more than 82 games this season...AREN'T YOU?
I'm just asking.

TJastal
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Curious...how does one EXACTLY back up the assertion that says 75% I Spurs Fans picked the heat to win the title?

Was there an official poll? Did someone take a census of Spurs fans the World over? Or is this just an ASSUMPTION.

I can happily say that I'm one of the guys that isn't in the 75% you talked about. I got 15-1 odds that say the Spurs will win the title in Vegas. If it happens, I'm ecstatic, if it doesn't, I'm not but I believe in the organization and team enough to know they'll be playing more than 82 games this season...AREN'T YOU?
I'm just asking.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164439&highlight=prediction&page=3
From this thread, I vaguely recalled 75%. It was actually closer to 50%. Whatever. I'm sure "unwantedtheory" will give me a 5 page lecture on being wrong. :rolleyes

Anyway, glad you picked the spurs, alot of people didn't, myself included. I might start believing once we get to the all star break and the team is still doing well. You see, I don't like to get all yippy-skippy only a quarter of the way into a season. Anything can happen, and often does. Just look at the case of the hornets for proof of that. And that has been my precisely my point in a nutshell in this entire thread.

UnWantedTheory
12-13-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164439&highlight=prediction&page=3
From this thread, I vaguely recalled 75%. It was actually closer to 50%. Whatever. I'm sure "unwantedtheory" will give me a 5 page lecture on being wrong.

Anyway, glad you picked the spurs, alot of people didn't, myself included. I might start believing once we get to the all star break and the team is still doing well. You see, I don't like to get all yippy-skippy only a quarter of the way into a season. Anything can happen, and often does. Just look at the case of the hornets for proof of that. And that has been my precisely my point in a nutshell in this entire thread.

Uh, Why? Do we have a history I dont know about? I dont believe I have called you out harshly & declared you wrong. I have made my statements and asked my questions. You didnt answer them. In fact, you have avoided responding to me other than to take this little strike and a short, albeit sweet, sentence declaring my point "diminished to nothing."

I salute you Sir! :toast Have a good one.

Liquordy Split
12-14-2010, 05:59 AM
From this thread, I vaguely recalled 75%. It was actually closer to 50%. Whatever. I'm sure "unwantedtheory" will give me a 5 page lecture on being wrong. :rolleyes

No I can tell you what your point is for your ridiculous posts. Your trying to make yourself seem smarter than you actually are. Anyone can throw around big words and make themselves sound like they have a point. Its really simple but Ill try my best to type slow so u can keep up. You put the Miami Heat on a pedestal and for what? They havent done shit! Spurs have the best record in the league. It make no sense what so ever for you to even compare the heat to the spurs. Do u even watch basketball? And as far as unwantedtheory giving you a five page lecture not so much for being wrong but for sounding like a complete moron, I can guarantee that you wont even make it to the bottom of page one without realizing that your ass doesnt even have enough breadcrumbs to make it home.

wunderkindepiphany
12-14-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm just asking.

I was thinking the same thing. Like, just because you put up some random percentage doesn't mean its qualified. And the point was lost on me, too.

ajh18
12-14-2010, 02:07 PM
I've never understood the argument of not getting "too excited" about your team's success. Why, because they may not end up winning the title six months from now and that will be a dissappointment? Because if I'm wrong, someone on a message board might be able to say "look, you were wrong"?

Who cares? It might sound trite, but there's no garauntee any one of us will be around in June anyway. Enjoy success as it happens, and don't worry about "looking stupid" or being "too excited" about it. Anyone with half a brain should KNOW that title chances are small for ANY team. So go ahead and get excited about it when you're doing well. Talk up your team, enjoy the moments where they're good, and be happy about it.

jjktkk
12-14-2010, 03:34 PM
my bad. :lol one guy, one time, to our three guys at least three times each.

And you don't prefer guarded optimism. You prefer pessimism. Not really the same thing at all.

+1

TJastal
12-14-2010, 06:21 PM
I've never understood the argument of not getting "too excited" about your team's success. Why, because they may not end up winning the title six months from now and that will be a dissappointment? Because if I'm wrong, someone on a message board might be able to say "look, you were wrong"?

Who cares? It might sound trite, but there's no garauntee any one of us will be around in June anyway. Enjoy success as it happens, and don't worry about "looking stupid" or being "too excited" about it. Anyone with half a brain should KNOW that title chances are small for ANY team. So go ahead and get excited about it when you're doing well. Talk up your team, enjoy the moments where they're good, and be happy about it.

Hey if you wanna start celebrating your title now after 23 games, by all means go for it. Do a cartwheel for all I care. Just don't start spewing random stupid threads about it.

DMC
12-14-2010, 06:24 PM

So you will pick the Spurs once they look like they are going to win, right? Sounds like your jersey might be reversible, with a Lakers emblem on the opposing side. Art thou also a Cowboys fan or did you switch to New Orleans last year?

TJastal
12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
So you will pick the Spurs once they look like they are going to win, right? Sounds like your jersey might be reversible, with a Lakers emblem on the opposing side. Art thou also a Cowboys fan or did you switch to New Orleans last year?

So everyone who do not pick the spurs to win the title before the season should just GTFO huh?

Solid D
12-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Are the SPURS the anti-HEAT?

http://www.sicovers.com/data/default/images/catalog/medium/SPR20070625.jpg

UnWantedTheory
12-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Hey if you wanna start celebrating your title now after 23 games, by all means go for it. Do a cartwheel for all I care. Just don't start spewing random stupid threads about it.
Did you read what he said, or did you just imagine what you wanted? Oh, I get it! It is like that saying about women. The conversation we are having, and the one YOU think we are having. Nowhere did he even act as if he was going to celebrate a championship. He was speaking of enjoying the moment while it lasted. Optimism. Again, there is nothing wrong with it.

TJastal
12-15-2010, 12:35 AM
Did you read what he said, or did you just imagine what you wanted? Oh, I get it! It is like that saying about women. The conversation we are having, and the one YOU think we are having. Nowhere did he even act as if he was going to celebrate a championship. He was speaking of enjoying the moment while it lasted. Optimism. Again, there is nothing wrong with it.

Whatever you both want to call it, I don't care. Celebrate for the sake of celebrating then. If you want to do some cartwheels, by all means, do them. Shoot off some fireworks. Pick your dog up by its front paws and dance with it. I don't care. I just don't want to read about it. That's my point.

Some of us want to try to keep an even keel to some extent because we realize it is only 1/4 of the way through the season and there are 60 games left.

ajh18
12-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Whatever you both want to call it, I don't care. Celebrate for the sake of celebrating then. If you want to do some cartwheels, by all means, do them. Shoot off some fireworks. Pick your dog up by its front paws and dance with it. I don't care. I just don't want to read about it. That's my point.

Some of us want to try to keep an even keel to some extent because we realize it is only 1/4 of the way through the season and there are 60 games left.

It's totally fine if you want to deal with your team's success in your own way. If you don't want to read other people's posts where they are getting excited about their team's success... well, don't read them then.

The only thing I wonder about is why you feel the need to "call out" people who are excited about their team's success by implying that they're naive, or premature, or stupid. If you don't want to read the posts, don't read them. If you don't want to react that way, don't. But really, what use is trying to shoot down folks who do?

And for the record, I have no problem with being "realistic" about the fact that there are 60 games left, and the Spurs success now doesn't mean they're a lock for the title, or even to go far in the playoffs. But to base my enjoyment of my team and my excitement solely around indicators that they're going to win a championship... well, if everyone thought like that, there'd be about 22 teams in the league with no fans. Sometimes it's OK to enjoy the journey, regardless of the outcome.

jjktkk
12-15-2010, 03:42 AM
Whatever you both want to call it, I don't care. Celebrate for the sake of celebrating then. If you want to do some cartwheels, by all means, do them. Shoot off some fireworks. Pick your dog up by its front paws and dance with it. I don't care. I just don't want to read about it. That's my point. Your point, as usual, is pointless.

TJastal
12-15-2010, 04:06 AM
Your point, as usual, is pointless.

Don't be negative.

UnWantedTheory
12-15-2010, 05:56 AM

Considering you can't comprehend what you are reading, I don't see a problem.

UnWantedTheory
12-15-2010, 05:57 AM
it's totally fine if you want to deal with your team's success in your own way. If you don't want to read other people's posts where they are getting excited about their team's success... Well, don't read them then.

The only thing i wonder about is why you feel the need to "call out" people who are excited about their team's success by implying that they're naive, or premature, or stupid. If you don't want to read the posts, don't read them. If you don't want to react that way, don't. But really, what use is trying to shoot down folks who do?

and for the record, i have no problem with being "realistic" about the fact that there are 60 games left, and the spurs success now doesn't mean they're a lock for the title, or even to go far in the playoffs. But to base my enjoyment of my team and my excitement solely around indicators that they're going to win a championship... Well, if everyone thought like that, there'd be about 22 teams in the league with no fans. Sometimes it's ok to enjoy the journey, regardless of the outcome.

UnWantedTheory
12-15-2010, 06:05 AM
So everyone who do not pick the spurs to win the title before the season should just GTFO huh?
Is it difficult for you to be this stupid? Things would be drastically improved if you could just actually read. I hope for your sake you are a bitter old man or a terrible troll. Not much else makes sense. Why root for the team if you are so dead set for rooting against its supporters? If you dont want to read certain threads about fans optimistic view points, why bother responding? spursTALK....

TJastal
12-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Is it difficult for you to be this stupid? Things would be drastically improved if you could just actually read. I hope for your sake you are a bitter old man or a terrible troll. Not much else makes sense. Why root for the team if you are so dead set for rooting against its supporters? If you dont want to read certain threads about fans optimistic view points, why bother responding? spursTALK....

Thanks for bringing me into the light, brother. You've made me see the error of my ways. My thoughts will always be positive and supportive from here this day forward.

UnWantedTheory
12-16-2010, 02:04 AM
Thanks for bringing me into the light, brother. You've made me see the error of my ways. My thoughts will always be positive and supportive from here this day forward.
I love sarcasm...just not when its poorly done.

TJastal
12-16-2010, 10:18 AM
I love sarcasm...just not when its poorly done.

I wanna learn good sarcasm. Can you teach me?