PDA

View Full Version : Knicks want just a draft pick for Randolph

Srupsog
12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I know the spurs big rotation is set right now, but they do have roster room, and if you can get a player the quality of Anthony Randolph with his upside and potential for just a draft pick, why not? Tim Duncan might be gone soon and it has been rumored that it could be McDysse's last season. So Randolph can be part of the future for the spurs and he might be able to help us right now. He would bring the athleticism the spurs has been looking for, plus the spurs have been looking for a back up 3, why not try Randolph at the 3.

So would it be a good idea to trade a draft pick for Anthony Randolph even though he might not crack the rotation this season?

99-03-05-07
12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
1st or 2nd round? if they are asking for a 1st then no, if they are asking for a 2nd then yes

L.I.T
12-12-2010, 09:11 PM
No cap space? No cap space.

Aside from Randolph at the 3. Yikes.

The Truth #6
12-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Our first round pick is looking to be late, which for some teams, depending on the situation, is worse than a very early second round pick.

The Knicks would have to prefer an early first round pick...but anything is possible.

Big P
12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
They are likely looking for a Top 15-18 pick for him..something we can't offer.

99-03-05-07
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
They are likely looking for a Top 15-18 pick for him..something we can't offer.

unless we have the best offer...

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I know the spurs big rotation is set right now, but they do have roster room, and if you can get a player the quality of Anthony Randolph with his upside and potential for just a draft pick, why not? Tim Duncan might be gone soon and it has been rumored that it could be McDysse's last season. So Randolph can be part of the future for the spurs and he might be able to help us right now. He would bring the athleticism the spurs has been looking for, plus the spurs have been looking for a back up 3, why not try Randolph at the 3.

So would it be a good idea to trade a draft pick for Anthony Randolph even though he might not crack the rotation this season?

If all the Knicks want for Randolph is a pick, what makes people think he's going to be anything a Tim or a Dice is? I'd wager we can draft a better player than we can trade for -- not to mention that it's cheaper for us in the long run, to boot.

ohmwrecker
12-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Randolph thread!

xmas1997
12-12-2010, 09:24 PM
If the Knicks will take such a most probable low first round pick such as the Spurs pick will most likely be then I think they pull the trigger. Picking that low in the first round is a huge gamble anyway.

Ditty
12-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I want wilson chandler

Mal
12-12-2010, 09:43 PM
That would kill the rotation. It`s too risky.

cd98
12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
If I'm a team with a low draft pick, I take my chances in the draft. Only late first round picks can be had. But what if NY gets two late first rounders, one for Randolph and one for Chandler. Then NY can offer 2 picks, Gallinari, Douglas, and Curry's expiring. Not sure if it works salary cap wise, but it's better than what the Cavs got for Lebron.

cd98
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
As for the Spurs, can this really work for them. How many years do either Chandler or Randolph have. If they are up for extensions, Spurs can't do it for salary cap reasons. So it would be like giving up a first rounder for a one to two year rental.

LeCrab
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Randolph is a cancer if he is not getting playing time he will make this team worse... bad move on spurs part i don't see them doing it

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Randolph is a cancer if he is not getting playing time he will make this team worse... bad move on spurs part i don't see them doing it

Why is Randolph a cancer, exactly?

210Max
12-12-2010, 10:27 PM
i thought he was 7'3" with the athleticism of usain bolt and prime vince carter whatever happened to that

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 10:35 PM
i thought he was 7'3" with the athleticism of usain bolt and prime vince carter whatever happened to that

Evidently he also has the ego of Allan Iverson according to LeCrab. :lol

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Why is Randolph a cancer, exactly?

He was in the dog house both years in GS, and if you're a super long, super athletic big man with a jumper, and you're only playing garbage minutes for Mike D'Antoni, there are issues beyond talent in play. He's been known to break off a play...or twenty to look for his own shot in a game.

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 10:44 PM
He was in the dog house both years in GS, and if you're a super long, super athletic big man with a jumper, and you're only playing garbage minutes for Mike D'Antoni, there are issues beyond talent in play. He's been known to break off a play...or twenty to look for his own shot in a game.

Maybe I'm just a pushover, but are you really willing to label a 21-year-old (then 19) a cancer based on that?

Big P
12-12-2010, 10:47 PM
unless we have the best offer...

Houston wants him & is willing to give the Knicks their pick back.

Agloco
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Whose playing time do you cut to make that happen?

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Maybe I'm just a pushover, but are you really willing to label a 21-year-old (then 19) a cancer based on that?

Someone else hung the label on him. I was just explaining why someone might think so. I think the most positive spin would be selfish and monumentally immature, neither trait tolerable to Pop, let alone both.

admiralsnackbar
12-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Someone else hung the label on him. I was just explaining why someone might think so. I think the most positive spin would be selfish and monumentally immature, neither trait tolerable to Pop, let alone both.

Agreed.

NZ Spurs
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
The fact that anyone would suspect that a veteran team could be upset by the potential pouting of one young player is amazing. RTB.

ChuckD
12-12-2010, 11:48 PM
The fact that anyone would suspect that a veteran team could be upset by the potential pouting of one young player is amazing. RTB.

And yet, unless they get them cheap and unguaranteed like Jackson, they continue to shun such players. Amazing.

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2010, 01:16 AM
wilson chandler or lance fields

then again the last time we pulled a trade with the knicks it ended up being a dudd...

shit players on shit teams posting up big numbers is misleading when they cant transfer that into a new team/system

concken
12-13-2010, 03:24 AM
I thought the Knicks were going to try to get Melo out of the deal?

angelbelow
12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Ofcourse, when you have a play with the potential that AR has, its hard to ignore. I think if it only took a 1st round, I would strongly consider it. He an extremely interesting prospect who could have potentially been the next Lamar Odom.

However, I don't think hes a realistic fit with our program. Hes pretty immature and unable to crack Nellie and Dantoni's rotation... I think that says quite a bit about him as a player. Whether he likes to talk back, complain about minutes, be lazy, not practice, whatever the case may be, its hard to imagine him ever cracking Pops rotation.

cutewizard
12-13-2010, 04:25 AM

We should get him. He could be the Lamar Odom of the Spurs!!!!!!!!!

GSH
12-13-2010, 04:43 AM
On Craigslist.com:

Selling Anthony Randolph. Working fine the last time I played with it. Willing to trade for a bitching sound system, or an X-Box 360, or something of equal value.

Oh, and I'll throw in my Roger Mason Jr. for free, if you'll just take over payments.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
12-13-2010, 06:07 AM
If he could be had for a pick and we could send him to the DLeague for a year, I'm all for it. But with the teaming humming along at 19-3 with perfect chemistry and balance, I think I'd pass given that his attitude is very questionable.

MI21
12-13-2010, 06:39 AM
Not surprised to see Spur fan shun a player because he is supposedly a cancer or has low basketball IQ. It's as if the only smart, team orientated players in the league are already Spurs...

Anyway, Randolph is a mega-talent and would be a nice get for a team with a mid to late first round pick. If I was the Knicks, I wouldn't take anything likely to be below top 15 in the draft.

ChuckD
12-13-2010, 08:02 AM
If he could be had for a pick and we could send him to the DLeague for a year, I'm all for it. But with the teaming humming along at 19-3 with perfect chemistry and balance, I think I'd pass given that his attitude is very questionable.

He's in year three. No d-league send-downs available after year two.

Darkwaters
12-13-2010, 08:06 AM
The other issue I have with Randolph is that hes never shown range from three in his NBA career. Hes 1-11 career from three. Doesn't fill the typical mold we're looking for.

Still, a LOT of talent. But low BBIQ, low maturity and lack of three range. Thats three considerable strikes against him. The Spurs would probably be able to work him into a solid contributor, but he'd never be ideal for them.

ChuckD
12-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Ofcourse, when you have a play with the potential that AR has, its hard to ignore. I think if it only took a 1st round, I would strongly consider it. He an extremely interesting prospect who could have potentially been the next Lamar Odom.

However, I don't think hes a realistic fit with our program. Hes pretty immature and unable to crack Nellie and Dantoni's rotation... I think that says quite a bit about him as a player. Whether he likes to talk back, complain about minutes, be lazy, not practice, whatever the case may be, its hard to imagine him ever cracking Pops rotation.

I'd say his current situation is more of an indictment than his gig in GS under Nellie. Nellie is a tough old bird who really does hate rookies. He ran Chris Webber out of town his first time in GS. D'Antoni, on the other hand, seems like more of a player's coach. If you have a jump shot, you should be able to play for him.

ChuckD
12-13-2010, 08:15 AM
The other issue I have with Randolph is that hes never shown range from three in his NBA career. Hes 1-11 career from three. Doesn't fill the typical mold we're looking for.

Still, a LOT of talent. But low BBIQ, low maturity and lack of three range. Thats three considerable strikes against him. The Spurs would probably be able to work him into a solid contributor, but he'd never be ideal for them.

I'd say the three ball is a minor issue. Dice doesn't have one, and he plays rotation minutes for us. DeJuan, either.

ChuckD
12-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Not surprised to see Spur fan shun a player because he is supposedly a cancer or has low basketball IQ. It's as if the only smart, team orientated players in the league are already Spurs...

Anyway, Randolph is a mega-talent and would be a nice get for a team with a mid to late first round pick. If I was the Knicks, I wouldn't take anything likely to be below top 15 in the draft.

Logic flaw. Just because a group of us understands the front office after watching it closely for like 15 years and don't see certain players as a "fit" doesn't mean we think there are no players out there who would be. They just don't generally have the second team in 6 months ready to dump them for table scraps. That's a red flag.

dbestpro
12-13-2010, 09:45 AM
It is not about what Ny wants, but rather what Denver wants.

Indazone
12-13-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd say his current situation is more of an indictment than his gig in GS under Nellie. Nellie is a tough old bird who really does hate rookies. He ran Chris Webber out of town his first time in GS. D'Antoni, on the other hand, seems like more of a player's coach. If you have a jump shot, you should be able to play for him.

D'Antoni hates rookies too - ie Jordan Hill. He ran his rotation at 8 and Van Gundy went on the air saying that people who were saying play this rookie and that rookie should shut up. He's a veteran NBA coach who needs to win and the best way to do that is to play the veterans. Rookies should sit on the bench and cheer for their teammates.

Also a reason I cannot stand Van Gundy.

Indazone
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Here's the exact quote from Van Gundy.

"ABC commentator and former Houston and New York Knicks coach Jeff Van Gundy scoffed at the notion that Suns coach Mike D’Antoni should play his bench more in the interest of player development.

“Who do you want him to play?” Van Gundy said, incredulously. “(Eric) Piatkowski? (Sean) Marks? D.J. Strawberry? Are you kidding me?

“Now if you had said Marcus Banks (before he was traded to Miami) I might have said ‘OK, you paid money and you had a part in the evaluation of getting him as the coach.’ Maybe he should have played. But when (Steve) Nash bloodied his nose last year (in Game 1 against the Spurs), was anybody saying ‘Marcus Banks hasn’t been playing. That’s what got in our way?’ No.

“So who should he develop? Alando Tucker? You’re going to tell me that a late-first rounder’s development is critical to the Suns winning a championship this year?

“I think the Suns do develop their players. Nash went from being a really good point guard to being an MVP. Shawn Marion went from being a pretty good forward to an All-Star. Amaré Stoudemire went from being a pretty good player to being a great player … Who haven’t they developed? A bunch of (expletive) on the end of the bench? Those guys can’t play in the NBA in a playoff series. They do what they’re supposed to do. Be enthusiastic and be great on the bench.”