PDA

View Full Version : What makes this Mavs winning streak any different than the ones from yesteryear?

21_Blessings
12-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I seem to recall a 13 regular season win streak last season and a similar run couple years back. Seems like the per usual event with no significant meaning whatsoever. I'm wondering if anything has changed or why we should be taking these regular season overachievers seriously come win or go home time?

Jose Canseco
12-13-2010, 09:10 AM
this one got you concerned enough to start a thread over it

ThomasGranger
12-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I seem to recall a lot of threads about nothing last season. Seems like the per usual thread with no significant meaning whatsoever. I'm wondering if anything has changed or why we should be taking these threads seriously?

21_Blessings
12-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh so nothing has changed. Gotcha.

Enjoy the 1st/2nd round exit then. :tu

Phillip
12-13-2010, 09:14 AM
21 blessings, with the bads

Shank
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
This thread has AIDS.

monosylab1k
12-13-2010, 09:26 AM
this one got you concerned enough to start a thread over it

:lol

LakaFan
12-13-2010, 09:58 AM
Mavs are headed for the same outcome they face each year. Great regular season and first round exit. Its happen for years they should be use to it.

ElNono
12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Some things never change... like Bynum

tee, hee

Native American
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
The mockingbird is often misunderstood by man. There was a common thought that the mockingbird would mimic other birds and animals to deceive them as a defense mechanism to avoid becoming prey or to master the deception to be predators themselves. But we have learned that while convincing to many men, the mimicked calls rarely fool the birds and animals that are being mocked. Injun experience tells us that the mockingbird uses the mocking calls as a way to attract females. The louder the calls, the more frequent the mocks, the more in desperate need of mating the mockingbird has. And by that I mean the more these Laker trolls mock other teams and players, the more they prove they don't get any pussy at all.

tee, pee

Cry Havoc
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
I hate to agree with the OP, but I'm afraid he's right.

The Mavs are a stellar regular season team, but I don't know who they are going to rely on to step up in the playoffs for them aside from Dirk. Sorry, Caron Butler is NOT a 2nd option. He's a GREAT 3rd option, but he can be shut down too easily and disappear. Marion is the same way -- great 3rd option.

Aside from Dirk, I have to wonder who the Mavs are going to get points from when the defenses really tighten in the post-season.

And to be fair, I worry about the exact same thing with the Spurs if RJ doesn't keep upping his game after the first 82 are played.

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
I hate to agree with the OP, but I'm afraid he's right.

The Mavs are a stellar regular season team, but I don't know who they are going to rely on to step up in the playoffs for them aside from Dirk. Sorry, Caron Butler is NOT a 2nd option. He's a GREAT 3rd option, but he can be shut down too easily and disappear. Marion is the same way -- great 3rd option.

Aside from Dirk, I have to wonder who the Mavs are going to get points from when the defenses really tighten in the post-season.

And to be fair, I worry about the exact same thing with the Spurs if RJ doesn't keep upping his game after the first 82 are played.
Well you shouldn't because in the Spurs case, they still have Manu, Tony, and Tim. They're all going to show up come playoff time no matter what.

hater
12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
mavs will not do worse than 3rd best team in the West when is all said and done. Pretty good, but they will NOT make the Finals.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Well you shouldn't because in the Spurs case, they still have Manu, Tony, and Tim. They're all going to show up come playoff time no matter what.

All three of whom can be completely contained by collapsing into the paint. Unless Manu is hot from three, our offense founders. Last year against the Suns they literally just started backing off to contain perimeter penetration and pressure Tim to give up the ball.

If the Spurs can get RJ to be a legit 4th option in the playoffs and a couple players to knock down the three, then yes, we're going to be a near-impossible out. But we aren't there yet.

Rummpd
12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
The Mavs have two things going for them - one the unparralled greatness as a big shooter in Dirk who is just unreal this year and by adding Chandler a smarter, better big to go with him.

That being said, Kidd will not take them deep - he is simply too slow these days.

pawe
12-13-2010, 12:05 PM
If the Spurs can get RJ to be a legit 4th option in the playoffs and a couple players to knock down the three, then yes, we're going to be a near-impossible out. But we aren't there yet.

I trust GHill more than RJ for this season's playoffs. Ghill tasted blood last year and I hope he liked it and he would like some more.

Phillip
12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I trust GHill more than RJ for this season's playoffs. Ghill tasted blood last year and I hope he liked it and he would like some more.

lol getting facefucked by Goran Dragic

Cry Havoc
12-13-2010, 12:32 PM

lol Mavs fans talking smack. :lol

mathbzh
12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
one the unparralled greatness as a big shooter in Dirk who is just unreal this year.

IMO this should be worrisome for the Mavs.
Dirk career season FG% was 50.2%... So far he is shooting 56.8%

If at some point his shooting goes back to normal... the Mavs may be in trouble.

Mark in Austin
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
I think the Chandler move was pretty underrated. With all the money Cuban has spent on bigs to put next to Dirk, Chandler is the first one in a Mav uniform with even half a heart.

brock_lobster
12-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Come on now, it's the Mavericks. They'll find a way to crumble when it matters most. The idea that a 7 foot jump shooter is going to lead a team to the finals is laughable.

Roddy Beaubois
12-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Come on now, it's the Mavericks. They'll find a way to crumble when it matters most. The idea that a 7 foot jump shooter is going to lead a team to the finals is laughable.

:lmao

the goods tbh

cheguevara
12-13-2010, 01:36 PM
the mavs could win 35 games in a row. And still come into the 1st roud of the playoffs as an underdog.

sribb43
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
:lobt2:

pawe
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM

lol ringless faggots

Greg Oden
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
lol ringless faggots

lmao Philippines

your entire land revolves around a boxer and eating dog meat.

YoungB
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
lmao Philippines

BAHAHHAHAH :rollin:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
lol ringless faggots

You have a ring?

YoungB
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM
You have a ring?

Yep he has 4, one for each time a man lured his mother with promises of engagement only to fuck the shit out of her slut ass and leave her. He's the accidental outcome of one of these encounters.

Killakobe81
12-13-2010, 02:37 PM
The mockingbird is often misunderstood by man. There was a common thought that the mockingbird would mimic other birds and animals to deceive them as a defense mechanism to avoid becoming prey or to master the deception to be predators themselves. But we have learned that while convincing to many men, the mimicked calls rarely fool the birds and animals that are being mocked. Injun experience tells us that the mockingbird uses the mocking calls as a way to attract females. The louder the calls, the more frequent the mocks, the more in desperate need of mating the mockingbird has. And by that I mean the more these Laker trolls mock other teams and players, the more they prove they don't get any pussy at all.

tee, pee

LOL Native american good shit ...

Killakobe81
12-13-2010, 02:40 PM
The Mavs have two things going for them - one the unparralled greatness as a big shooter in Dirk who is just unreal this year and by adding Chandler a smarter, better big to go with him.

That being said, Kidd will not take them deep - he is simply too slow these days.

Lakers won the title with Derek fisher the past two years ...the Magic made the finals with anthony johnson (IIRC) and Jason williams running the point two years ago ...

Where I will agree if they have to RELY on Kidd offensively they are screwed but if Terry and Caron and Deshawn keep scoring maybe they wont have to ...and who knows what Roddy will bring?

I don't think they are winning the title but who is to say they are notr a threat or a true contender?

21_Blessings
12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
I don't think they are winning the title but who is to say they are notr a threat or a true contender?

They're still a mentally fragile, pussy-shit jumpshooting team with no interior offense worth mentioning. That won't get it done when it matters.

LakaFan
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM
:lmao Mavs fans actually think this year is different. 1st round knock as usual.

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Yep he has 4, one for each time a man lured his mother with promises of engagement only to fuck the shit out of her slut ass and leave her. He's the accidental outcome of one of these encounters.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

#41 Shoot Em Up
12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
:lmao Mavs fans actually think this year is different. 1st round knock as usual.

how long have you been a Lakers "fan"?

brock_lobster
12-13-2010, 02:53 PM
The banter in this thread is quite childish. Just the typical Maverick fans, speaking not any legitimate basketball discussion, completely void of basketball knowledge, and speaking on matters they have absolutely zero experience in (i.e., winning championships, getting pussy).

Have at it, little ones.

LakaFan
12-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Kobe's thoughts on a Mavs playoff series...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/10/kobe500.jpg

brock_lobster
12-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Oh look, we have our resident internet hardass. Tell me, does acting like a vile, profane tough-guy on the internet validate your pathetic existence? Truthfully, I've always wondered what beta males like you have to go through on a regular basis. Please, enlighten us.

LakaFan
12-13-2010, 02:56 PM
how long have you been a Lakers "fan"?
Since you were still riding around in my nuts

Phillip
12-13-2010, 02:58 PM
lol Mavs fans talking smack. :lol

lol cry havoc asshurt again

JamStone
12-13-2010, 04:25 PM
lmao Philippines

For the record, we're also known for eating Ferdinand Magellan and the most widely used language, Tagalog, is the source for the generic American word "boondocks."

Don't sell us short, "dog."

Ghazi
12-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Defense.

And also, 19-4 without French Allah

fucked, the NBA is

cheguevara
12-13-2010, 04:31 PM
until the mavs sign a rapist they have no chance whatsoever.

and no, Dirk banging Sasquatch does not count, it was concensual

YoungB
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
until the mavs sign a rapist they have no chance whatsoever.

and no, Dirk banging Sasquatch does not count, it was concensual

it's consensual, you dumb beaner

brock_lobster
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
Grammar and ethnic smack. How original! Do you have any more gems you'd like to share? Perhaps call someone gay? Faggot? I can't wait to read your next amazingly insightful post.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM

"It's one of those encounters", you silly Mavs fan.

YoungB
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
lol 34 posts and i already got you following me around and derailed from offering us your "awesome basketball insight" you came to show us :lol

brock_lobster
12-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Following you around? I'm sorry but I don't believe I've posted on your profile page numerous times or replied to any threads you started. Nice try though, wannabe internet tough guy.

YoungB
12-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Lol randomly coming in this thread to quote a previous post of mine and express your displeasure

Agloco
12-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Lol randomly coming in this thread to quote a previous post of mine and express your displeasure

lol YoungBeaner at it again

YoungB
12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
lol YoungBeaner at it again

What makes this Mavs winning streak any different than the ones from yesteryear?

Agloco
12-13-2010, 08:30 PM
What makes this Mavs winning streak any different than the ones from yesteryear?

Hate on them all you want, but they're getting it done on the defensive end this year. That's a significant departure from "yesteryear".

YoungB
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM

BUMP
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/jazz/schedule/121110_jazzmavs.html

This is the best Mavs team I've seen since I've been in the NBA. Across the board, they have so much talent and depth. But they're just playing a lot better defensively. This is by far the best defensive team we've seen from them.

:tu

TD 21
12-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I seem to recall a 13 regular season win streak last season and a similar run couple years back. Seems like the per usual event with no significant meaning whatsoever. I'm wondering if anything has changed or why we should be taking these regular season overachievers seriously come win or go home time?

Nice to see someone remembers the Mavs doing this every season and doesn't suffer from revisionist history or automatically get sucked in.

What makes this season different? They're better defensively than at any time in recent memory (though their defense is overrated and in reality, barely better than the Spurs'), but far less explosive offensively. They don't have depth of scoring, which makes them highly reliant on Nowitzki continuing to shoot a percentage he hasn't even come close to in his career and Terry continuing to serve as a de facto go-to perimeter option. In other words, they're reliant on two things that can't be relied upon.

The good news is that they're one of the six best teams in the league. The bad news is that they're not one of the four best teams in the league, which means they fall short of being a legit contender. They aren't for the same reason the Magic aren't and that's the lack of a go-to perimeter player. Unless you have '94 and '95 Olajuwon or '99 and '03 Duncan, it's proven in this league (in recent history, at least) that you can't win without that. Johnson, Bird, Thomas, Jordan, Bryant, Ginobili, Wade, Pierce. The one obvious exception is the '04 Pistons, but they were just that: the exception, not the rule. Also, Billups and Hamilton were better then than Terry is now.

BUMP
12-13-2010, 09:17 PM
Nice to see someone remembers the Mavs doing this every season and doesn't suffer from revisionist history or automatically get sucked in.

What makes this season different? They're better defensively than at any time in recent memory (though their defense is overrated and in reality, barely better than the Spurs'), but far less explosive offensively. They don't have depth of scoring, which makes them highly reliant on Nowitzki continuing to shoot a percentage he hasn't even come close to in his career and Terry continuing to serve as a de facto go-to perimeter option. In other words, they're reliant on two things that can't be relied upon.

The good news is that they're one of the six best teams in the league. The bad news is that they're not one of the four best teams in the league, which means they fall short of being a legit contender. They aren't for the same reason the Magic aren't and that's the lack of a go-to perimeter player. Unless you have '94 and '95 Olajuwon or '99 and '03 Duncan, it's proven in this league (in recent history, at least) that you can't win without that. Johnson, Bird, Thomas, Jordan, Bryant, Ginobili, Wade, Pierce. The one obvious exception is the '04 Pistons, but they were just that: the exception, not the rule. Also, Billups and Hamilton were better then than Terry is now.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Q87ydud5sJk/TCCrbQ8WfjI/AAAAAAAACsU/DI323VCZDfI/s320/pro_vai_101.jpg

Ghazi
12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
good take... but once French Allah comes back we got that perimeter scoring.

TD 21
12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
good take... but once French Allah comes back we got that perimeter scoring.

Nah, I don't mean collectively, I mean that one guy, who's either an all-time great or at least a Hall-of-Fame caliber player. They don't have it.

Spursmania
12-13-2010, 09:24 PM
All three of whom can be completely contained by collapsing into the paint. Unless Manu is hot from three, our offense founders. Last year against the Suns they literally just started backing off to contain perimeter penetration and pressure Tim to give up the ball.

No worries, I'm sure we could rely on good old Bonner...(cough, cough)

pawe
12-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Cool :lol

21_Blessings
12-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Streak hath come to conclusion. :depressed

brock_lobster
12-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Why are Maverick Fans some dramatic and whiny whenever someone says anything even remotely negative about their team? Your team is a pathetic excuse for an NBA franchise, get over it and follow the Rockets, they need more worthless fans.

jmard5
12-14-2010, 10:25 AM
lmao Philippines

Don't find anything wrong with that.

Shank
12-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Brock is fucking terrible. What is this schtick of his? It's so terribly watered-down and trite. At least come with something new. Recycling the same dumb garbage we've seen for years is both tired and lazy. Try harder, please.

brock_lobster
12-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Brock is fucking terrible. What is this schtick of his? It's so terribly watered-down and trite. At least come with something new. Recycling the same dumb garbage we've seen for years is both tired and lazy. Try harder, please.

Why are you mad?

cheguevara
12-14-2010, 11:47 AM
LOL getting owned by a troll called lobster

YoungB
12-14-2010, 11:50 AM
http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mexican-doritos.jpg
(http://www.eatmedaily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mexican-doritos.jpg)

brock_lobster
12-14-2010, 11:53 AM
You seem to have forgotten how to enter a post.

Greg Oden
12-14-2010, 12:25 PM

lol getting owned by calories

frodo
12-14-2010, 08:37 PM
TC is the only element that makes the mavs different than ever before. C used to be their shortest stave and had encumbered their strides time after time, having got TC now their C is about their 2nd strongest position on their squad. TC is not nearly as good a player overall as Iggy but he was apparently the best player for Dallas imho. champion squad complemented, we stacked...

Ghazi
05-08-2011, 05:35 PM

HarlemHeat37
05-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Wow, Blessings is on a historic streak of failure..I've never seen this before, not even from koriwhat or Tacker..