PDA

View Full Version : Why don't kids wear jackets?

JoeChalupa
12-13-2010, 10:25 AM
It is 33 outside and my oldest walks out with just a hoodie. Where is your jacket I ask and it is in her school locker. Why? Because she gets cold in school. So as I'm dropping her off at school I notice most kids are walking to school without jackets. I see a group of girls in t-shirts shivering and some guys in shorts and t-shirts.
I know this is a boring thread but do your kids walk around in the cold without a jacket? I make mine wear them because I don't need sick kids but my oldest is really hard headed when it comes to wearing a jacket. Although she will wear her letter-man jacket. When it is not in her locker that is.

desflood
12-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Because teenagers are stupid. Once they hit puberty they lose all reasoning skills and most don't get them back until their early 20's. Even yours, Joe. I'm sorry to be the one to have to break it to you. If it makes you feel any better, I fully expect all of my smart little ones to also magically become stupid when they reach the teen years. Hopefully they recover fully.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 10:37 AM
:lol cuz they're kids. I'm not a parent also. I did that as a kid. Hell, I would even wear shorts in 33 degree weather. Calmaté, viejo. :lol

JoeChalupa
12-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Because teenagers are stupid. Once they hit puberty they lose all reasoning skills and most don't get them back until their early 20's. Even yours, Joe. I'm sorry to be the one to have to break it to you. If it makes you feel any better, I fully expect all of my smart little ones to also magically become stupid when they reach the teen years. Hopefully they recover fully.

This makes sense. I remember those years. :lol

JoeChalupa
12-13-2010, 10:44 AM
:lol cuz they're kids. I'm not a parent also. I did that as a kid. Hell, I would even wear shorts in 33 degree weather. Calmaté, viejo. :lol

:lol Yeah, they tell me to calmate all the time.

Cry Havoc
12-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Teenagers aren't stupid. They're very intelligent. The difference is, their intelligence is invested in things that aren't as important to you (at least, not anymore). Namely, keeping up social conventions and presenting a specific persona that's expected of them.

Some kids are probably wearing it because it makes them look badass to other kids when they walk around in winter in summer clothing. Some are probably doing it simply because they forgot to put it on, a lot of them probably didn't look at the weather report and assumed it would be in the 50s, or they left it at school, they might hate wearing heavy clothing and coats (probably especially important for girls trying to get guys to look at them), others might be doing it to make a statement to their parents about how they don't need them, and the list goes on.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
:lol Yeah, they tell me to calmate all the time.

Hell. Sometimes I'd wear a jacket WITH shorts. :D
They'll get over it.

fraga
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Poverty...it's not just a river in Egypt...

Blake
12-13-2010, 11:09 AM
they don't wear jackets in San Antonio because even if it's 33 in the morning, it gets hot in the afternoon.

that's my guess.

Drachen
12-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I went an entire year (I think it was my sophomore year) without wearing a pair of jeans. It was shorts every day. At first it was because I truly wasn't cold (I have a high range of temperatures which I can tolerate without being uncomfortable), then when it got really cold (like in the 20s which is only a week of the year anyway), it was more of a personal challenge. Everywhere you go has a heater anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal. I was outside for a max of 30 mins distributed throughout the day, so whatever.

Oh and yes, teenagers are stupid.

SpursWoman
12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
My son has been wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt under the required polo .... a hoody, and I need to pick up the knit cap for his head he's asked for because his head gets cold. But he is still wearing shorts. WTF? :lol

I'm not going to argue about it, I've warned him. It's his ass that's getting cold, not mine. :lol

ididnotnothat
12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Kids are strange. During the summer I would see guys wearing knit caps all the time.

mrsmaalox
12-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Smart little kids stay smart teenagers, mine did :spin

My kids don't do jackets either. I provide them and that's it. As long as they aren't whining to me about being cold, then I don't worry about it much. It's on them.

But really who needs a jacket to walk or run from a car to a building? I rarely wear one either because as Blake said, it'll most likely be warm a few hours later.

JudynTX
12-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Hell. Sometimes I'd wear a jacket WITH shorts. :D
They'll get over it.

:td That's so dumb.

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM

Your face is dumb.

AmericanWoman
12-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Smart little kids stay smart teenagers, mine did :spin

My kids don't do jackets either. I provide them and that's it. As long as they aren't whining to me about being cold, then I don't worry about it much. It's on them.

But really who needs a jacket to walk or run from a car to a building? I rarely wear one either because as Blake said, it'll most likely be warm a few hours later.

Actually that is how most people get sick is during the quick in and out in the cold and getting that sudden shot of cold air on the chest and body. And then it's on me to get them feeling better. :bang

jeebus
12-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I dunno, maybe it's not cool to wear a jacket...who knows with kids these days. When I was a teen, I'd dress in small layers because I knew it'd heat up during the day...damn south texas. Now, the 30s is when I start wearing a hoodie/jacket, but only because I lived up north for 6 years and worked outside when it was below zero(thanks air force). I just recently moved back to SA and I'm still out wearing shorts and flipflops when it's in the 50s.

mrsmaalox
12-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Actually that is how most people get sick is during the quick in and out in the cold and getting that sudden shot of cold air on the chest and body. And then it's on me to get them feeling better. :bang

No. A jacket will protect you from hypothermia or frostbite, but not viruses like cold or flu.

desflood
12-13-2010, 12:26 PM
1. Some kids are probably wearing it because it makes them look badass to other kids when they walk around in winter in summer clothing.
2. A lot of them probably didn't look at the weather report and assumed it would be in the 50s
3. They might hate wearing heavy clothing and coats (probably especially important for girls trying to get guys to look at them)
4. Others might be doing it to make a statement to their parents about how they don't need them.
All reasons that, while valid for a teenager, reinforce the idea of "stupid" for most reasonable adults.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 12:41 PM
No. A jacket will protect you from hypothermia or frostbite, but not viruses like cold or flu.

Bingo. If more parents knew that. :wakeup

MannyIsGod
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Fucking THANK YOU. And no one is going to get hypothermia in 33 degree weather.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Uh oh.....

Soul_Patch
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
My wife always insists on bundling up our son when we go anywhere and it is forecast to be less than 60 outside.

I told her, why?? Why put all that crap on him to basically walk out in the garage and get in the car, then out of the car for 2 minutes walking into the store.

I rarely wear a jacket, unless i know ill be outside for a while.

I never bothered with the weather when i was a teen because no matter what, it was warm in the afternoons. Just throw on a sweatshirt, that can be taken off around lunch time and i was good.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 01:55 PM
In Southern California, a jacket is more of an accessory than useful. I mean, as a kid it was probably that I'd wear shorts and a regular t-shirt during a downpour. I think it is a sense of invulnerability and the idea of not being bothered by carrying a jacket/coat when it warms up. No tying it around my wast and all of that hullabaloo that's for certain.

JoeChalupa
12-13-2010, 03:18 PM

:tu I still use it though to try to get my kids to cover up. :lol I guess growing up in Ohio it just doesn't make sense why someone wouldn't want to be warm.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Yeah, a jacket is not going to prevent someone from getting the virus that causes colds and flus, but it does serve one linear goal and that is to keep the body warm and disallow the body temperature to lower thus weakening the immune system and allowing said viruses an easier access to the child's body. Again, it isn't all that necessary in the 80-degree weather we're having today in L.A.

Ignignokt
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
:tu I still use it though to try to get my kids to cover up. :lol I guess growing up in Ohio it just doesn't make sense why someone wouldn't want to be warm.

Joe.. well most kids in highschool get regular bloodflow and circulation to the extremities of the body, unlike you who has to deal with your diabeetus, you have to take extra precaution even when you have to bang your wife. You probably have to wear diabetic condoms that come with antibiotic lubrication to ward off any blisters caused by the accumulation of smegma from your overstretched skin that you got from jerking off to liberty insurance commercials tbh..

YoungB
12-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Joe.. well most kids in highschool get regular bloodflow and circulation to the extremities of the body, unlike you who has to deal with your diabeetus, you have to take extra precaution even when you have to bang your wife. You probably have to wear diabetic condoms that come with antibiotic lubrication to ward off any blisters caused by the accumulation of smegma from your overstretched skin that you got from jerking off to liberty insurance commercials tbh..

:wow holy shit

mrsmaalox
12-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Yeah, a jacket is not going to prevent someone from getting the virus that causes colds and flus, but it does serve one linear goal and that is to keep the body warm and disallow the body temperature to lower thus weakening the immune system and allowing said viruses an easier access to the child's body. Again, it isn't all that necessary in the 80-degree weather we're having today in L.A.

Technically this is correct but you aren't going to compromise your immune system by being outside in 30 degree weather for 15 minutes without a jacket. Your body temp is not going to drop enough because the body can shiver to keep the temp up. It's going to take a bit of a prolonged exposure to drop the body temp significantly enough to mess with an immune system and by then your body will have more severe problems to deal with.

lebomb
12-13-2010, 03:50 PM

................LOL, its kinda like wearing warm up pants, gortex boots and a tank top to school.

cornbread
12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
I do a lot of work with teenagers in Denver and I've seen that the hoodie is like a security blanket. When the kids feel like disappearing, they can pull the hoodie over their heads and hide. At times I have to remind them that I can still see them.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Technically this is correct but you aren't going to compromise your immune system by being outside in 30 degree weather for 15 minutes without a jacket. Your body temp is not going to drop enough because the body can shiver to keep the temp up. It's going to take a bit of a prolonged exposure to drop the body temp significantly enough to mess with an immune system and by then your body will have more severe problems to deal with.

That is true if you're dealing with a child that has a normal "healthy" immune system. It doesn't work if your child has sickle-cell anemia or other blood disorders. The time of 15 minutes might not get you sick, but if you're a parent it is better to suggest a jacket than to not. It really is a immortal mindset when you're a kid/teenager and that's what it really boils down to. Are we also factoring a wind chill here? Or, is it straight across the board 30 degs?

mrsmaalox
12-13-2010, 04:32 PM
That is true if you're dealing with a child that has a normal "healthy" immune system. It doesn't work if your child has sickle-cell anemia or other blood disorders. The time of 15 minutes might not get you sick, but if you're a parent it is better to suggest a jacket than to not. It really is a immortal mindset when you're a kid/teenager and that's what it really boils down to. Are we also factoring a wind chill here? Or, is it straight across the board 30 degs?

No the parent of a sickle cell or other blood disorders affected child would be better to suggest a surgical mask than a jacket. Unless there is a shortage of masks then the jacket could be tied around the head and mouth/nose area to help keep the viruses out. Even with wind chill ;)

MannyIsGod
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM

Personally I'd like to know what parents of kids with sickle cell anemia should do in case of a zombie apocalypse. Is the jacket still necessary? What if it occurred in 30 degree weather?

Thanks in advance.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-13-2010, 04:39 PM
:corn:

MannyIsGod
12-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Also, when I was in SA I rarely wore anything other than a hoodie when it was cold outside.

JoeChalupa
12-13-2010, 04:52 PM

:lmao damn it.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Personally I'd like to know what parents of kids with sickle cell anemia should do in case of a zombie apocalypse. Is the jacket still necessary? What if it occurred in 30 degree weather?

Thanks in advance.

According to most zombie fiction, the legion of the dead usually cannot function with blood temperatures lower than their normal core of dead. So, if it is freezing, it may then have a sense of causation of 'slowing down' the zombies and at the same time; slowing down the sickle-cell anemic patients. Therefore, if you have a kid with sickle-cell anemia or a compromised immune system, you would probably want to move to a more temperate region of the U.S.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 05:18 PM

No the parent of a sickle cell or other blood disorders affected child would be better to suggest a surgical mask than a jacket. Unless there is a shortage of masks then the jacket could be tied around the head and mouth/nose area to help keep the viruses out. Even with wind chill ;)

Are you saying a surgical mask would best protect a sufferer of sickle-cell anemia? Or, are you considering saying that you wouldn't want your kids to contract said anemia? I don't think you're taking the situation serious. Kids with sickle-cell anemia need to wear jackets regardless of the 15 mins of exposure in 30 degree weather.

The Gemini Method
12-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Also, why didn't LeBron purchase said jackets for the kids who do not have any?

mrsmaalox
12-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Also, why didn't LeBron purchase said jackets for the kids who do not have any?

Obviously because they were not sufferers of sickle-cell anemia.

Fonzie
12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Teenagers aren't stupid. They're very intelligent. The difference is, their intelligence is invested in things that aren't as important to you (at least, not anymore). Namely, keeping up social conventions and presenting a specific persona that's expected of them.

Some kids are probably wearing it because it makes them look badass to other kids when they walk around in winter in summer clothing. Some are probably doing it simply because they forgot to put it on, a lot of them probably didn't look at the weather report and assumed it would be in the 50s, or they left it at school, they might hate wearing heavy clothing and coats (probably especially important for girls trying to get guys to look at them), others might be doing it to make a statement to their parents about how they don't need them, and the list goes on.

Aaaaaaay....this guy gets it. :tu A nice jacket is also a babe magnet.

ploto
12-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Kids do not wear jackets because it is too hot inside the school because they run the heat too much.

They actually need a jacket when it is hot outside because they run the AC too much.

resistanze
12-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Shit, kids wear jackets around here. It's -12C (10F) right now. No kid is messing with that.

xellos88330
12-13-2010, 07:43 PM
I pretty much do this exact thing. If I am going to be inside or in a heated area, what is the point in bringing a thick jacket. Just go where it is warm.

If I am going to be outdoors for an extended amount of time (camping, outdoor concert, fishing, etc.) I will dress warm. I am not a teenager, but this is my reasoning on the matter.

If I were in Canada or Alaska or somewhere really friggin cold, and not Texas, you bet your ass I am going to dress warm regardless of how long I am outside.

Das Texan
12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
I dont own a jacket. I had a leather one but it grew legs a couple of years ago and wandered off.

All I need is my fleece sweatshirt and mugger's hat.

I'm good.

CuckingFunt
12-13-2010, 11:51 PM
When I was a kid/teenager, it was because I fucking hated putting on and taking off fifty bajillion layers. As an adult, I still do, but I've become less stubborn about it.

And more willing to to admit when I'm freezing my fucking ass off. I used to regularly stand around and shiver and pretend I was comfortable because I didn't want to admit everyone else was right and that I should have brought a light jacket and/or heavier sweater..

ShoogarBear
12-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Most of your heat regulation is through your head and upper body. With a good winter cap and sweatshirt, it's easy to wear shorts in 20-30 degree weather and be comfortable (as long as the wind isn't whipping). When I go to work out, I rarely use sweatpants.

ynh
12-14-2010, 02:52 AM
I don't wear one for Three reasons.

1. I get claustrophobia being in one

2. I hate wearing them when I'm driving and have a seat belt on.. thus I have to take the coat off and put it on when I enter and exit the truck.

3. I'm only walking from some place to my truck or from my truck to somewhere.. no need for a coat..

Besides that I have lived in much colder places and don't find 30ish to be all that cold.. I know how to keep my body warm without a coat.. and I'm not worried about getting sick because I never really get sick.

ynh
12-14-2010, 02:53 AM
BTW and I'm 30.. and someone mentioned a good point.. you don't get sick from being cold.

Xevious
12-14-2010, 03:56 AM
they don't wear jackets in San Antonio because even if it's 33 in the morning, it gets hot in the afternoon.

that's my guess.
This.

San Antonio does not get cold. Period. I keep a light jacket in the car in case of a breakdown or flat tire, but I never wear one unless it's a rainy/windy winter day and I'm going to be outside for an extended period of time. I'm a hot-natured person and wearing long sleves much less a jacket drives me insane. The car is heated, so is the house, so is work, etc. I'd be dripping with sweat if I wore a bunch of layers.

On to the kids. My 10-year-old girl wears jackets pretty much all the time. She's always cold, but then she's very thin. The 5-year-old boy always wears a jacket to school because mom and dad put it on him.

Frenzy
12-14-2010, 04:11 AM

My sister went out in 30 degree weather for 15min to drop off hubby at work. On 410 her car broke down and her "hubby" had her cell by accident.15 min turned to an hour n a half. Weeeeeee..

ginobili's bald spot
12-14-2010, 06:41 AM
Damn kids these days. Get off my lawn!!!!!:cuss

GeorgeCostanza
12-14-2010, 07:49 AM
i wear sweatpants daily.

+1