PDA

View Full Version : Grizzlies open to dealing Thabeet

tdunk21
12-13-2010, 06:18 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70560/20101213/grizzlies_open_to_dealing_thabeet/

The Grizzlies are making center Hasheem Thabeet available, reports David Aldridge of NBA.com.

Thabeet was the second overall pick in the 2009 NBA Draft.

Memphis believes they already have their center of the future in Marc Gasol and they may be willing to cut their losses with Thabeet, who has been a disappointment.

Via David Aldridge/NBA.com

just thought i should post it here....delete this if its not needed....

LeCrab
12-13-2010, 06:23 PM
rofl @ memphis picking Thabeet over blair.... blair embarrassed him every time they played

lefty
12-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Last time I checked, a player needs 2 arms in order to be able to play basketball

Cessation
12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
lol fail

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Pathetic.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow

SpursNextRomanEmpire
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
How many NBA games has he actually played in?

Big P
12-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Son...I am disappoint.

Agloco
12-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Wrong forum.

yavozerb
12-13-2010, 07:58 PM
this thread is needed about as much as the other stupid trade posts here...

ChuckD
12-13-2010, 10:01 PM
That pick failed so hard, and people TOLD Memphis that it would.

Harden, Evans, Casspi. All those guys were picked after Thabeet. I left out small guards like Flynn, Curry, and Jennings, since they seem to have those areas covered.

smrattler
12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
I bet they are.

ShoogarBear
12-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Hard to believe a front office whip like Chris Wallace would have made a mistake on that one.

8FOR!3
12-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd be willing to give up Chris Quinn and our 2016 2nd round draft pick from Charlotte for Thabeet. I think he'd be a great fit on the team, he'd be a great role player for the Toros!

sananspursfan21
12-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Wrong forum.

they can probly back it up by saying "spurs could trade for him". thats stupid though cuz im captain obvious by saying theres already too many bigs right now

Hemotivo
12-13-2010, 11:06 PM
do it mitch?

DJ Mbenga
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
this has larry brown written all over it

Hoops Czar
12-13-2010, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't take Thabeet if Memphis was giving him away.

Seventyniner
12-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Whiffing on a #2 pick is a double whammy: not only could you have gotten a much better player, but who's going to trade $5 million worth of salary for him? If it's $5 million worth of filler, the Grizz would be better holding on to him, and I doubt a team would give up anything of value.

Chieflion
12-13-2010, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't take Thabeet if Memphis was giving him away.

Hey, the last player the Grizzlies gave away was a very good player.

Dex
12-13-2010, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't even trade Bonner for this bust.

SenorSpur
12-13-2010, 11:46 PM
He was underdeveloped coming out of college. The kid should've stayed in school.

AlleyOopNazi
12-14-2010, 12:26 AM
Classic case of "I dunk the ball, I get the check" logic.

TDMVPDPOY
12-14-2010, 02:14 AM
memphis will trade his ass to lakers for whatever peanuts again, since fakers need a center

EricD
12-14-2010, 02:18 AM
He was underdeveloped coming out of college. The kid should've stayed in school.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read all night..

He had 16 million reasons ($$$) to decide to go into the 2009 draft.

And if he was underdeveloped so what?

He still was going to go through practices, training programs, workouts, ect to improve and get better after he got drafted-- just like every pro does! Only he was going to get paid for it sooner.

How in the hell did you get your name black and bold?

Get a clue!

Darkwaters
12-14-2010, 02:23 AM
memphis will trade his ass to lakers for whatever peanuts again, since fakers need a center

Nah, my money is still on the league trading Omeka Okafor and Chris Paul to the Lakers for Shannon Brown, Devin Ebanks and a used 1983 Ford Pinto. Problem solved.

Meanwhile, the Timberwolves will probably see the vast potential in Thabeet and trade Kevin Love and the rights to Ricky Rubio for him, only continuing their fabled front office execution.

ynh
12-14-2010, 02:31 AM
rofl @ memphis picking Thabeet over blair.... blair embarrassed him every time they played

You really think they were going to use the second pick on blair? If not than what is the point of that statement.. they didn't pick Thabeet over blair.. they pick him over Evans, Curry, and Jennings. Blair at two would of been better then Thabeet but a stupid pick for 2.

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 03:12 AM
That is the most ridiculous thing I've read all night..

He had 16 million reasons ($$$) to decide to go into the 2009 draft.

And if he was underdeveloped so what?

He still was going to go through practices, training programs, workouts, ect to improve and get better after he got drafted-- just like every pro does! Only he was going to get paid for it sooner.

How in the hell did you get your name black and bold?

Get a clue!

So he's better off being a rich kid with no game, huh? The kid was going to get crazy paid whether he declared after his freshmen year or whether he went all four years. You can drive your car with your feet, if you want to, but that doesn't make it a good damn idea.

The point is he wasn't ready for the big boys. A raw rookie that went to a lower-tier organization, and one that doesn't have the greatest track record for developing talent. Add it all together and you get BUST - just like your failed counterpoint.

Thabeet's height and raw potential will ensure that he'll get plenty of chances. However, he's got a long way to go toward becoming a productive NBA player. That's the point.

Now you get a clue! Every kid that comes out isn't ready for pro ball. Just like you're proof that every poster on here doesn't always make a compelling case.

EricD
12-14-2010, 03:31 AM
So he's better off being a rich kid with no game, huh? The kid was going to get crazy paid whether he declared after his freshmen year or whether he went all four years.

And what would have happened if Thabeet got seriously injured the following season-- or what if more years at UConn allowed him to show his true colors ( what we are seeing now) and his stock plummeted like Matt Lienarts? Him and his family could have possibly lost millions.

No way should he have stayed in school. He was guaranteed a Top 3 pick because Chris Wallace and his circle doesn't have a clue, much like yourself in this matter.

The point is he wasn't ready for the big boys. A raw rookie that went to a lower-tier organization, and one that doesn't have the greatest track record for developing talent. Add it all together and you get BUST - just like your failed counterpoint.

Give me a break. You don't know what you're talking about.

So your trying to say, if he stayed in school and put in all the hardwork at Uconn instead of the Grizzlies practice facility, he would be much better right now?

That makes no sense in the world. The kid still worked very hard on his game and worked very hard to improve WITH PROFESSIONAL COACHING after he was drafted. Staying in school and working on his game there at UConn is irrelevant. Some players are just overrated coming out of college and sometimes the scouts make mistakes. In this case, the Wallace crew' made a mistake with Thabeet.

Luckily for him, he had a smart and wise circle around him who convinced him to jump at the opportunity being picked in the top 3 and because of it he netted 16 million guaranteed dollars to play the game he was already playing and working on.

Now go get your shine box.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-14-2010, 03:36 AM
^ Gotta agree with fellow grey named EricD.

He was never going to be drafted as high as he was, had he stayed more in school. Dude totally got the best he could have hoped for.

EricD
12-14-2010, 03:40 AM
^ Gotta agree with fellow grey named EricD.

:toast

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 03:43 AM
And what would have happened if Thabeet got seriously injured the following season-- or what if more years at UConn allowed him to show his true colors ( what we are seeing now) and his stock plummeted like Matt Lienarts? Him and his family could have possibly lost millions.

No way should he have stayed in school. He was guaranteed a Top 3 pick because Chris Wallace and his circle doesn't have a clue, much like yourself in this matter.

Give me a break. You don't know what you're talking about.

So your trying to say, if he stayed in school and put in all the hardwork at Uconn instead of the Grizzlies practice facility, he would be much better right now?

That makes no sense in the world. The kid still worked very hard on his game and worked very hard to improve WITH PROFESSIONAL COACHING after he was drafted. Staying in school and working on his game there at UConn is irrelevant. Some players are just overrated coming out of college and sometimes the scouts make mistakes. In this case, the Wallace crew' made a mistake with Thabeet.

Luckily for him, he had a smart and wise circle around him who convinced him to jump at the opportunity being picked in the top 3 and because of it he netted 16 million guaranteed dollars to play the game he was already playing and working on.

Now go get your shine box.

You ever heard of insurance? Any young player at that level hedges themselves against that possibility.

No one can bebrudge the kid for getting paid. However, the fact that he was the first #3 overall pick to spend time in the D-League tells you that he wasn't prepared. Now going into his second season, he's still underdeveloped. That's it.

Financially he's set. Absolutely. Development-wise, he's got a long way to go. I'll stick by statement that he wasn't ready then and now in his second season, he's still not.

Now back under your bridge troll.

EricD
12-14-2010, 03:45 AM
You ever heard of insurance? Any young player at that level hedges themselves against that possibility.

No one can bebrudge the kid for getting paid. However, the fact that he was the first #3 overall pick to spend time in the D-League tells you that he wasn't prepared. Now going into his second season, he's still underdeveloped. That's it.

Financially he's set. Absolutely. Development-wise, he's got a long way to go. I'll stick by statement that he wasn't ready then and now in his second season, he's still not.

Now back under your bridge troll.

But you were trying to say he would be much better player by now if he would have stayed in college.

That is none-sense.

No troll bridge here bud-- Just speaking truth-- You just got owned.

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 03:58 AM
But you were trying to say he would be much better player by now if he would have stayed in college.

That is none-sense.

No troll bridge here bud-- Just speaking truth-- You just got owned.

That's true. I do believe he would've been much more prepared had he stayed in college. However, that's rarely the case these days, which is why we see a league, that annually features an influx of "watered-down" rookie talent coming in every year. Aside from the usual, rare exceptions, we all know it generally takes rookies a full season or two, before they really hit their stride and become productive players.

I'll also add that, had the Grizz elected to give him a full year stint in the D-League, he would've been much further along. Of course, that would've been a tough sell because he was taken that high in the draft.

However, it's clear the one thing this kid needed was playing time - not a seat at the end of the bench. That's the only way he's going to keep getting better. He certainly would've gotten that in the D-League or if he had elected to stay another year in school.

EricD
12-14-2010, 04:05 AM
That's true. I do believe he would've been much more prepared had he stayed in college. However, that's rarely the case these days, which is why we see a league, that annually features an influx of "watered-down" rookie talent coming in every year. Aside from the usual, rare exceptions, we all know it generally takes rookies a full season or two, before they really hit their stride and become productive players.

I'll also add that, had the Grizz elected to give him a full year stint in the D-League, he would've been much further along. Of course, that would've been a tough sell because he was taken that high in the draft.

However, it's clear the one thing this kid needed was playing time - not a seat at the end of the bench. That's the only way he's going to keep getting better. He certainly would've gotten that in the D-League or if he had elected to stay another year in school.

Much better take :tu

Although I don't really agree about him being better off getting PT in the D-League. ( Improvement wise/ I believe a player is who he is throughout the course of the season/ whether he plays or doesn't play is irrelevant on improvement during the season)

Players don't improve throughout the course of a game ( in game scenarios) because they don't have the confidence to use new moves or go to their weaknesses throughout live games. They improve and get their confidence in the off-season, in the gym's working their butt off when nobody is looking. The off-season is where the strides are made and where the confidence is built to use in the upcoming season.

Players don't just all of a sudden significantly improve throughout the course of a season.

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Much better take :tu

Although I don't really agree about him being better off getting PT in the D-League.

Players don't improve throughout the course of a game ( in game scenarios) because they don't have the confidence to use new moves or go to their weaknesses throughout live games-- they improve and get their confidence in the off-season-- in the gym's working their butt off when nobody is looking. The off-season is where the strides are made and where the confidence is built to use in the upcoming season.

Players don't just all of a sudden significantly improve throughout the course of a season.

Absolutely agree. Offseason is where most players work to get better. It's also true that most players make their most significant leap from Year 1 to Year 2. I understand Thabeet worked a lot on his offensive game, this offseason. However, I'm not sure when and where would he ever be able to display it - seeing as there is very little PT to go around.

In a lot of ways, I feel bad for the kid - being a raw rookie, and having to live up to that pressure of being a #3 overall pick - and going to a woe-begone franchise like the Grizzlies - who really didn't need him to begin with.

Hopefully, he'll fare much better at his next stop.

EricD
12-14-2010, 04:18 AM
Absolutely agree.

Looks like I have some hope for a black and bold future :toast

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 04:23 AM
Looks like I have some hope for a black and bold future :toast

I'm no soothsayer, but I'd say there is indeed a lot of hope. :toast

OrEmuN
12-14-2010, 04:28 AM
For correctness, Thabeet is number 2 pick.

I think staying in college may improve him but ultimately, he is just very tall but not a very good basketball player. By coming out that year without much exposure conned Memphis into picking him for the 2nd pick. One year later, assuming Memphis is the only team stupid enough to pick him, he will likely to go 12th. He will lose quite a fair bit of money

From financial viewpoint, it does make a lot of sense for him to declare for the draft. Of course, that is on the assumption that he is not going to get much better (which is what I feel about him).

EricD
12-14-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm no soothsayer, but I'd say there is indeed a lot of hope. :toast

I try to be the best at whatever I put my mind to. My parents tell me I can achieve great things and I'm very educated when it comes to basketball and that's why I hope to be on ESPN someday. Hell if boring ass Chris Sheridan can why can't I right? :lol

My first semester of college started up this semester and I'm doing awesome. Hopefully in due time I can represent the black and bold as respectfully as you Senor.
( I befriended you btw)

:flag:

tmtcsc
12-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Open to dealing him ? I'd be surprised if another team was open to receiving him.

SenorSpur
12-14-2010, 10:42 AM

I try to be the best at whatever I put my mind to. My parents tell me I can achieve great things and I'm very educated when it comes to basketball and that's why I hope to be on ESPN someday. Hell if boring ass Chris Sheridan can why can't I right? :lol

My first semester of college started up this semester and I'm doing awesome. Hopefully in due time I can represent the black and bold as respectfully as you Senor.
( I befriended you btw)

Much appreciated.

I'm honored.

I shall return the favor.

Cane
12-14-2010, 10:42 AM
A $5 million dollar Ian Mahinmi....pass.

duncan228
12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Rumors fly about O.J. Mayo, Thabeet trades but Grizzlies say nothing imminent (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/rumors-fly-about-o-j-mayo-thabeet-trades-but-grizzlies-say-nothing-imminent/)
Kurt Helin

Wednesday the NBA trade floodgates open. Well, sort of. They open in the sense that all the guys signed as free agents this summer can be traded as of Dec. 15, so possibilities for trades increase exponentially.

The actual trades, those usually take some time.

Take the Grizzlies for example. They will listen to your offers for Hasheem Thabeet (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/13/memphis-puts-hasheem-thabeet-on-the-trade-block%e2%80%a6-hello-anyone-out-there-bueller-bueller/) — he’s a former No. 2 pick and 7’2” — and maybe O.J. Mayo. That doesn’t mean anything is about to happen, according to the Commercial Appeal (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/dec/13/griz-officials-say-no-deals-are-imminent-despite-r/).

“We are not trying to trade O.J. or Hasheem,” said Griz owner Michael Heisley, who sat courtside Monday with Portland in town. “We haven’t had any conversations about them, and I should know because I’m the one making the decisions.”

“A lot of people have speculated that (Mayo is) going to be traded because he’s not starting,” (Grizzlies coach Lionel) Hollins said. “That’s the nature of the media beast.”

That doesn’t mean that a trade won’t happen, just that it will not be happening soon. This is pretty standard, don’t expect much action until after the first of the year, and for things to not really pick up until the February trade deadline nears. The NBA needs deadlines to make deals happen most of the time, it seems.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/14/rumors-fly-about-o-j-mayo-thabeet-trades-but-grizzlies-say-nothing-imminent/

TwelveGs210
12-14-2010, 07:24 PM
BREAKING news... New York Knicks sources confirm that they have agreed to trade Amare Stoudemire, who has just recorded his 8th straight game of 30 or more points, for Hasheem Thabeet. They are also reporting signing a contract extension 4 years/74 Mil.

DMC
12-14-2010, 10:28 PM

( I befriended you btw)

I knew you were still a kid. When your balls drop, and you realize that your parents tell you shit to get you out of their house, come back and let us know which neighborhood flyer you are editing and we will all say "yay".

Until then, stop correcting grownups just because you Googled something from your dorm room. I have socks older than you.

Quit now while you still know everything.

MaNu4Tres
12-14-2010, 11:10 PM
And this is Spurs related how?

Just curious.

MaNu4Tres
12-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I like him

Doesn't surprise me.

TD 21
12-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Good for them. They can deal him someplace not named San Antonio.

I don't care if he were 8-3, he's not better than any of the bigs on this team.

Size is important, but it's got to be size that can play. I think he can eventually be a useful (if minimal) backup, just because of his mere presence defensively and shot blocking, but he's not a fit on the Spurs.

It's incredible how many people don't seem to understand the fact that Duncan is strictly a center at this point in his career. His mobility isn't what it was and on top of that, the game is going smaller and faster. The days of finding a true center to pair with him so he can play power forward are over. He is the center. That doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't play next to size, but it's got to be mobile size, like Splitter, that can defend power forwards. Only the Lakers and the Magic are better at center than the Spurs, even if the Spurs don't have a true center.

Ginobili2Duncan
12-14-2010, 11:27 PM
I never understood the Grizzlies' fascination with him when it was clear he was going to struggle transitioning to the NBA. Yes, he was a force blocking shots at UConn, but that was because he camped in the lane most of the time. In the NBA, that won't fly.

jgome21
12-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Talk about a bust.......this kid's been a joke. Perhaps him and Oden can team up.....

tdunk21
12-15-2010, 01:09 AM
And this is Spurs related how?

Just curious.

just thought we have a vacant 14th and 15th roster spot and need some inside presence but like some people said he is not worth it...