PDA

View Full Version : John Hollinger should kill himself

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 06:40 PM
When he first started ranking player and teams purely using statistics, at least appearing to do so on the outside, it was a different and cool idea. Now, he's just a piece of shit, along with everybody at ESPN. I know everybody here already knows ESPN is comprised of morons only, but they don't even try to have any credibility anymore...it's as if they want the opposite, to be known as the presenters of bullshit.

Current Hollinger rankings:
1. Celtics 19-4
2. Heat 17-8
3. Spurs 20-3
4. Mavericks 19-4

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

LMAO, so the Heat are above the Spurs and Mavericks, even though both teams have far superior records and more impressive wins, and even considering Dallas beat Miami in their only meeting :lol
The Heat have literally beaten NO ONE this year... not one contender (Orlando is the only team, but they're overrated every year, every other team is lottery bound).

Yet they're better than the teams with spectacular records and wins against many solid teams... :rolleyes

Why aren't the Sixers #5 in hollinger's rankings??? They might as well be if he's trying to create the biggest bullshit list possible.

rayray2k8
12-13-2010, 06:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

ElNono
12-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Don't get mad at the calculator, bro

Amuseddaysleeper
12-13-2010, 06:51 PM
Don't get mad at the calculator, bro

:lol

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 06:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

Those are Marc Stein's....I'm talking about Hollinger here.

Cessation
12-13-2010, 07:31 PM
lol he mad @ calculator

rayjayjohnson
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
lol butthurt spurs fan

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 07:33 PM
yup I'm livid :rolleyes

I don't give a shit about where the Spurs are in the actual rankings lol, it's completely about how stupid the rankings are...the purpose of making a ranking like this is completely lost when Hollinger makes it.

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 07:35 PM
lol butthurt

you trolls are pathetic

BlackSwordsMan
12-13-2010, 07:39 PM
u livid bro?

jestersmash
12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5742/umadl.gif

4>0rings
12-13-2010, 07:52 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8VcL9c3OVog/TGdq7y1W4MI/AAAAAAAAASo/PXM2Gma2p_4/s1600/u+mad.jpg

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
u livid bro?

more so than this dude:

http://www.photographycorner.com/galleries/data/2010/ANGRY_MAN.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
12-13-2010, 07:54 PM
looks like some british dude I know who might be a cockney

Koolaid_Man
12-13-2010, 07:57 PM
When he first started ranking player and teams purely using statistics, at least appearing to do so on the outside, it was a different and cool idea. Now, he's just a piece of shit, along with everybody at ESPN. I know everybody here already knows ESPN is comprised of morons only, but they don't even try to have any credibility anymore...it's as if they want the opposite, to be known as the presenters of bullshit.

1. Celtics 19-4
2. Heat 17-8
3. Spurs 20-3
4. Mavericks 19-4

LMAO, so the Heat are above the Spurs and Mavericks, even though both teams have far superior records and more impressive wins, and even considering Dallas beat Miami in their only meeting :lol
The Heat have literally beaten NO ONE this year... not one contender (Orlando is the only team, but they're overrated every year, every other team is lottery bound).

Yet they're better than the teams with spectacular records and wins against many solid teams... :rolleyes

Why aren't the Sixers #5 in hollinger's rankings??? They might as well be if he's trying to create the biggest bullshit list possible.

real title pedigree teams don't pay attention to rankings...perhaps the reason the Spurs aren't ranked #1 is because everyone knows their success is all a facade..

Agloco
12-13-2010, 08:26 PM
real title pedigree teams don't pay attention to rankings...perhaps the reason the Spurs aren't ranked #1 is because everyone knows their success is all a facade..

Kinda like all the snatch you claim to pull?

lol Downs Dungy

Chieflion
12-13-2010, 08:29 PM
To be fair to the rankings here, and to ESPN's bias towards the Heat and putting everything into account, the Heat are the only team in the NBA that is both top 5 in offense and defense with points per 100 possessions.

angelbelow
Hey man, hes just trying to make a living. Hes got a family to feed.

LnGrrrR
Frankly, I'm impressed Kool knew the word "facade" and used it in the correct way. He must have saw it in his latest copy of "Whitewater Rafting Monthly". :lol

MmP
12-13-2010, 08:41 PM
alvarez, come on man, are you still surprised that espn overlook spurs?
im kinda used to it, i saw this one earlier today and laughed out loud a bit

duhoh
12-13-2010, 08:49 PM
hollinger made a formula, and that's what creates his power rankings.

calm down.

BUMP
12-13-2010, 08:52 PM

1. Celtics 19-4
2. Heat 17-8
3. Spurs 20-3
4. Mavericks 19-4

Be more specific in what you're bashing at douche bag, cus I haven't posted too much the last few days and it seems out of nowhere you decided to attack me on the visitors message..just out of nowhere you thought of me and decided why not?

Nice, douche bag. Does trolling bring you a lot of joy?

Oh yeah, you're wrong about pretty much everything you said, as it's not my first semester and I don't believe I have the whole world figured out. At least I like to think though.

And by saying you remember when you were "young and fucking retarded"...that statement, if true, means the difference between me and you is time. So, it would be the equivalent of making fun of a baby for not knowing how to add/subtract, even though such a thing would be completely irrational.
Fortunately it's irrelevant because I'm probably smarter than you were/are now.

Be more specific in what you're bashing at douche bag, cus I haven't posted too much the last few days and it seems out of nowhere you decided to attack me on the visitors message..just out of nowhere you thought of me and decided why not?

Oh yeah, you're wrong about pretty much everything you said, as it's not my first semester and I don't believe I have the whole world figured out. At least I like to think though.

And by saying you remember when you were "young and fucking retarded"...that statement, if true, means the difference between me and you is time. So, it would be the equivalent of making fun of a baby for not knowing how to add/subtract, even though such a thing would be completely irrational.

Mr.Bottomtooth
12-13-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't get why he gets a pass for it being a formulated ranking. It's obvious his formula sucks ass too.

Agloco
12-13-2010, 09:04 PM

:lol

Hey BUMP, which conversation was this?

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-13-2010, 09:25 PM
A little over-the-top there with killing himself.

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 09:42 PM
alvarez, come on man, are you still surprised that espn overlook spurs?
im kinda used to it, i saw this one earlier today and laughed out loud a bit
ummm....no, if you read, I addressed this:

I know everybody here already knows ESPN is comprised of morons only, but they don't even try to have any credibility anymore...it's as if they want the opposite, to be known as the presenters of bullshit.

I'm well known for bashing ESPN, at least should be because I do it constantly...it's not even about the Spurs, they're just taking to another level this season. They're not even pretending to have any credibility.

noob cake
12-13-2010, 09:51 PM
9-14 Rockets ranked ahead of 16-9 Knicks. Rockets 5 games under 0.500, but 12th best team in the league. Fuck yeah!

Good to see that Trollinger and Morey both use similar formulas

MiamiHeat
12-13-2010, 10:21 PM
9-14 Rockets ranked ahead of 16-9 Knicks. Rockets 5 games under 0.500, but 12th best team in the league. Fuck yeah!

Good to see that Trollinger and Morey both use similar formulas

if a team played the Boston Celtics for 15 straight games and went 6-9 and their losses were close games with positive areas

and another team played half decent teams and some scrub teams and went 11-4

in theory, the first team has an argument to be the better team at this point in time.

looking only at wins/losses is like kobe turds looking at the "26 pts" on kobe's statline and ignoring the 8-23 FG's.

doldrums
12-13-2010, 11:03 PM
if wins and losses were the only criteria, why would you have rankings, whether computer generated or subjective. Reason is because wins and losses are not the only criteria. His statistical rankings , especially as it gets closer to end of year are pretty spot on, if history is a guide.

ALVAREZ6
12-13-2010, 11:58 PM
if wins and losses were the only criteria, why would you have rankings, whether computer generated or subjective. Reason is because wins and losses are not the only criteria. His statistical rankings , especially as it gets closer to end of year are pretty spot on, if history is a guide.

Well they're pretty drastically off right now...

cheguevara
12-14-2010, 10:33 AM
r u retarded? he follows the same formula every single time. Obviously its not a perfect forumula but the idiots are the ones who are paying him for this garbage.

Hollinger is a genius, making $$ and trolling teams.

ALVAREZ6
12-14-2010, 11:11 AM
r u retarded? he follows the same formula every single time. Obviously its not a perfect forumula but the idiots are the ones who are paying him for this garbage.

Hollinger is a genius, making $$ and trolling teams.

lol ok sure I agree, shift the blame to the people who pay Hollinger.

It's not even the real point here

Cry Havoc
12-14-2010, 11:18 AM
hollinger made a formula, and that's what creates his power rankings.

calm down.

Yep. This thread has already been made about 4 times this season. People don't understand statistics vs. personal bias. It's baffling.

ALVAREZ6
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I know it's purely statistical, and again, what's the point if the formula clearly does a terrible job of ranking the top teams. Miami should not be top 5.

Cry Havoc
12-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I know it's purely statistical, and again, what's the point if the formula clearly does a terrible job of ranking the top teams. Miami should not be top 5.

They shouldn't be top 5? They've won 9 games in a row all by double-digits. That is exceedingly rare in NBA history. They are 2nd in the league in point differential, now have one of the best records, and are in the top 5 in the NBA in both offense and defense.

Statistics are not about what is right in the immediate term, but they are meant to be predictors for long-term accuracy, at least the methods he's using here are. The more games gathered by the stats, the more accurate they become using the entire history of the NBA as a meta-analysis.

I think it's funny that Hollinger is so lambasted here, though. Where is all the criticisms of the "expert" analysts who had Oklahoma City as a lock for the Western Conference Finals this year? They would be lucky to get out of the first round at this point.