PDA

View Full Version : assuming pj gets a gig

ducks
05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
who should the spurs hire to replace him?
or should they move on of their other assistants up and hire somone else

RobinsontoDuncan
05-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Paul Silas

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-26-2005, 07:01 PM
http://www.capeventos.com.ar/Magnano_1.JPG

Former Argentinian National Team Coach Ruben Magnano.

Particularly for picnroll, FromWayDowntown, Kori, and any other x's and o's types, look what I found (it's Adobe PDF)....

http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/download.asp?file_id=396

*drool*

stéphane
05-26-2005, 07:14 PM
*cross fingers*
PJ is just great.
As a spurs fan I'd just like to see him stay here.

SequSpur
05-26-2005, 07:17 PM
PJ will never get a head coach position again in the NBA.

Never.

cherylsteele
05-26-2005, 07:19 PM
PJ will never get a head coach position again in the NBA.

Never.

What makes you say that?
His name has been mentioned with with the NY Knick's job.....it is only a matter of time.

SequSpur
05-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Knicks? Yeah right.

cherylsteele
05-26-2005, 07:27 PM
You still didn't answer my question......

What makes you say he won't coach in the NBA again?

Supergirl
05-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Danny Ferry.

Steve Kerr.

Sean Elliot.

spurschick
05-26-2005, 11:10 PM
http://www.capeventos.com.ar/Magnano_1.JPG

Former Argentinian National Team Coach Ruben Magnano.

Particularly for picnroll, FromWayDowntown, Kori, and any other x's and o's types, look what I found (it's Adobe PDF)....

http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/download.asp?file_id=396

*drool*

Damn, this is awesome! Do you think that he and Pop could coexist? Magnano shows quite a bit more energy on the sidelines than Pop and I doubt he'd be able to keep his butt on the bench.

midgetonadonkey
05-26-2005, 11:53 PM
As more and more teams realize that defense wins championships, I think P.J. will go somewhere else next season. The Spurs are always compared to the Patriots, so it is only natural to believe that all the assitants will go elsewhere. Just look at Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis.

Kori Ellis
05-26-2005, 11:53 PM
That's a great link, AHF. But didn't he just sign a big contract overseas?

As for PJ, the Wolves are getting ready to interview him and the Knicks, as well as other teams are interested. So I think he will get another job this summer.

Aggie Hoopsfan
05-27-2005, 12:44 AM
I know he signed a deal to coach in Italy, but to be honest he was working for peanuts in Argentina so it's hard to tell how much of a financial boom he got moving to Europe.

T Park
05-27-2005, 12:50 AM
Eric Mussleman.

T Park
05-27-2005, 12:53 AM
BTW, Id be all for Magnano, if hes willing to just be an assitant coach.

Who knows, maybe he doesnt want to coach in America at all.

Dont know the full story of everything.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
05-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Magnano is not so well-paid in Italy. If PJ makes like 1m Dollars per year, I can certainly say that Magnano is paid (as much) half of that. I believe he would be delighted to be given the chance to participate in the NBA, but he is a very outspoken coach, I don't know if he could work well with Pop. He does have experience as assistant coach in the Argentinian Team (before he was named head coach) and Argentinian League clubs.

On the positive side:
* He isn't paid that much in Italy
* His offensive playbook.
* His experience of dealing with zones or collapsed defences.
* His knowledge of International Players, specially if the Spurs keep bringing so much from overseas.

Undecided:
* He is very much a no-nonsense, tell it in your face coach. So that would be good or bad in his relationship with Pop?

On the negative side:
* He would leave a head coach position for an assistant coach one. I know, no way the Spurs can be compared to an average Italian team, but a head coach is a head coach everywhere.
* I don't know if his English is that good (I know he does speak the basic, but is very different to say "Hello" than "you should cut behind two screens, fake a run into the paint and move to the three point line"). That article that AHF posted could have been translated by someone.
* How many international coaches are there in the NBA?
* Flex offense would give Pop a heart attack.

SilverPlayer
05-27-2005, 02:21 AM
Dreaming about Magnano really makes me want the spurs to try something radical. I want the spurs to sign him as offensive coordinator (a la football.) and make Popovich defensive coordinator. Oh well thats a pipe dream...

But one thing is for sure a Magnano/ Pop combo would be almost as potent as the Tex Winters/ Phil Jackson combo. (that is if they could coexist.)

Das Texan
05-27-2005, 02:46 AM
* Flex offense would give Pop a heart attack.

Thats the best part of bringin him onboard.

FromWayDowntown
05-28-2005, 01:24 PM
AHF, that's awesome. Recommended reading for anyone who wants to understand the "why" of how things happen on the basketball court -- though it assumes some knowledge.

Magnano would be a wonderful idea, if he wants it. I don't think that Pop has ever shied away from surrounding himself with strong personalities. He's said in the past that he appreciates that P.J. occasionally tells him that he's just wrong about something. Pop's old school enough to find a challenge in dealing with strong people. Magnano would certainly amp up the Spurs offense and would probably allow Manu to become an even greater weapon. As the Spurs move from a plodding, methodical team to an athletic (albeit defense-oriented) group, juicing the offensive philosophy strikes me as a good idea. Magnano's fast break ideas seem perfectly tailored for the abilities of the current Spurs roster -- no overarching concern for involving the 5 and a healthy respect for athletic 4's and 2's.

Very interesting idea, AHF. I'm down.

RobinsontoDuncan
05-28-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't see why we can't run more now, I think we could have a 1/3 post up iso game, 1/3 motion offense, and 1/3 running game fairly easily, we have the personel.