PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee to the Phillies..

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2010, 12:12 AM
according to multiple sources..

HarlemHeat37
12-14-2010, 12:13 AM
Halladay, Oswalt, Hammels and Lee?..fuck:lol..

Ditty
12-14-2010, 12:15 AM
v4jGSvxCRp4

Trainwreck2100
12-14-2010, 12:18 AM
Gg nl

DesignatedT
damn they are stacked. that pitching lineup is sickkkkkk

Vinnie_Johnson
Dream team they are sure to fail.

Amarelooms
12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
What a fuck face Lee is....Rangers offered more and he slapped them in the face. Who the fuck would want to live in that shit hole Philadelphia??? What a tool....good riddance dummy.

:elephant

IronMexican
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
lolomg taxens

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Damn...that pitching rotation is STACKED now. Oh well, the Rangers are young and have cash to spend and will continue to grow. And at least he didnt go to the Yankees! :lol

bostonguy
12-14-2010, 12:24 AM
Nice move for the Phillies. I still like the Giants if they were to rematch though.

DJ Mbenga
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
left 50 million on the table. well 100 million isnt exactly "sacrafice" id love to sacrafice my way to the bank. that pitching staff is ridiculous. injuries and luck stand in their way now

bostonguy
12-14-2010, 12:25 AM
left 50 million on the table. well 100 million isnt exactly "sacrafice" id love to sacrafice my way to the bank. that pitching staff is ridiculous. injuries, luck, and the San Francisco Giants stand in their way now

Fify

JayTheClown
12-14-2010, 12:31 AM
San Francisco Giants Rotation is great, but their lineup is suspect. While the Phillies rotation is great and their lineup is great to. The Phillies are going to be unbelievable next year.

Dr. Gonzo
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Astros will be the best team in Texas again!!!!

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Cliff Lee signed with the Phillies, sources said, for less money than either the Yankees and Rangers offered

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Halladay, Oswalt, Hammels and Lee?..fuck:lol..

oswalt will get hurt watch
has been
too old

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice move for the Phillies. I still like the Giants if they were to rematch though.

giants should all the players that got them their

JayTheClown
12-14-2010, 12:36 AM

No they wont, not for a long long time, but with that new channel there getting along the Rockets they will have more money to spend then usual (I don't know if that's saying much), but they still have alot of crap on that team. A WHOLE LOT OF CRAP.

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM

:lol Nah...

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:40 AM
Additionally, Lee is the first major free agent in recent memory to be targeted by the Yankees and to ultimately reject them. The Yankee dollar generally does not take no for an answer. This, only months after the Rangers outbid the Yankees for Lee at the trading deadline.

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:43 AM
Additionally, Lee is the first major free agent in recent memory to be targeted by the Yankees and to ultimately reject them. The Yankee dollar generally does not take no for an answer. This, only months after the Rangers outbid the Yankees for Lee at the trading deadline.

:lol What is hilarious is that the Yankees concentrated so much on Lee, that they missed out on Crawford as well, who was supposed to be their "backup plan," and he went to the arch-rival Red Sox. :lmao Yankees!

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:46 AM
why would lee go to the yankees if he wanted to win

yankees are old and they have no pitching

phillies and rangers both are in better postion

crc21209
12-14-2010, 12:47 AM
why would lee go to the yankees if he wanted to win

yankees are old and they have no pitching

phillies and rangers both are in better postion

+1

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:49 AM
Phillies fans are surely thrilled to have Lee back in Philadelphia, but the MLB Players Association won't necessarily like his decision to leave so much money on the table instead of setting a precedent for other pitchers. However, this offseason has seen two free agents (Werth and Crawford) sign nine-figure contracts, so players are doing well in general.

ducks
yankees projected rotation still includes Ivan Nova and Sergio Mitre, so it's fair to expect GM Brian Cashman to acquire an arm. The next best free agent starter available is Carl Pavano, but it would be a shock to see the Yankees express interest in him.

LOL

bostonguy
San Francisco Giants Rotation is great, but their lineup is suspect. While the Phillies rotation is great and their lineup is great to. The Phillies are going to be unbelievable next year.

Ryan Howard is an overrated piece of shit.

Fpoonsie

These kindsa' posts always mindfuck me...

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM
you know I like lee more for turning down money to play for the team he really wants to

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:50 AM

so are alot of yankee has beens

BUMP
12-14-2010, 12:51 AM
Phillies fans are surely thrilled to have Lee back in Philadelphia, but the MLB Players Association won't necessarily like his decision to leave so much money on the table instead of setting a precedent for other pitchers. However, this offseason has seen two free agents (Werth and Crawford) sign nine-figure contracts, so players are doing well in general.

So where was this copy and pasted from?

bostonguy
12-14-2010, 12:52 AM
so are alot of yankee has beens
:lmao
I am not a Yankees fan. Ryan Howard fucking blows.

BUMP
So where was this copy and pasted from?

rofl here it is, last paragraph
:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

BUMP
lol ducks

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:53 AM
I am not a Yankees fan. Ryan Howard fucking blows.

I know you like the sox:lol

ducks
12-14-2010, 12:56 AM
After months of rumors that suggested he'd sign with the highest bidder, Lee turned down tens of millions in guaranteed money to sign in Philadelphia. ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears the Yankees offered a deal that guaranteed Lee $138MM over six years, plus a $16MM player option for a seventh year (Twitter link). The Rangers also offered $138MM over six years, and their proposal included a vesting option that could have brought the value of the deal to $161MM, according to Yahoo's Tim Brown (Twitter links).

JayTheClown

I totally disagree. I would take Howard over anyone in Boston's lineup. Including that overrated often injured LF you just signed.

BUMP
lol ducks

lol plagiarism

LakerHater
12-14-2010, 01:47 AM
http://b.imagehost.org/0382/lol_9.png (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0382/lol_9)

Texas Chili Dog
12-14-2010, 01:51 AM
http://b.imagehost.org/0382/lol_9.png (http://b.imagehost.org/view/0382/lol_9)

:lol

I hate that I LOL'd at that, but I couldn't help it.

DJ Mbenga
12-14-2010, 02:10 AM
the phillies lineup though has taken a huge dip. very lefty heavy, they are gonna have to trade blanton and or ibanez. they are only 5 deep for the lineup. there are some nice staffs in the nl. in no order, the giants, phillies, braves, dodgers, cardinals. all have suspect offenses. awesome pitching doesnt always work. ask the astros.

The Gemini Method
12-14-2010, 04:01 AM
the phillies lineup though has taken a huge dip. very lefty heavy, they are gonna have to trade blanton and or ibanez. they are only 5 deep for the lineup. there are some nice staffs in the nl. in no order, the giants, phillies, braves, dodgers, cardinals. all have suspect offenses. awesome pitching doesnt always work. ask the astros.

why would we look back at the Astros? The Giants just won the WS with a suspect offense and a superb pitching staff. That's going to be a great starting rotation...but it's their bullpen that will either make or break the Phillies season next year.

symple19
12-14-2010, 07:01 AM
i'm just glad he spurned the yanks

CubanMustGo
12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
So not only did he take a smaller contract, but he has to pay state income tax (3.07%) and Philadelphia Wage Tax (3.928%) that he wouldn't pay in Texas. Fuck that.

monosylab1k
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
oh well, on to greinke.

i'm just glad he spurned the yanks

:tu

FromWayDowntown
12-14-2010, 10:18 AM
With the investment in their rotation, you'd think the Phillies would also move to upgrade the back end of their pen at some point before April. One thing that could potentially torpedo a team like that during the regular season is a spate of blown saves, which remains possible if they don't find a reliable guy or guys to close out games.

Kermit
12-14-2010, 10:39 AM
oswalt will get hurt watch
has been
too old

I'm sure he'll make you look like an idiot again.

bostonguy
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
I totally disagree. I would take Howard over anyone in Boston's lineup. Including that overrated often injured LF you just signed.

:lmao:lmao:lmao
Howard is a homerun or bust player. He sucked ass in the last 2 rounds the Phillies got eliminated in. If he isn't hitting homeruns, he is an overrated piece of shit.

Phillip
12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
go for Grienke, move Michael Young to DH, and bring in Beltre for 3B

Blake
12-14-2010, 02:14 PM
What a fuck face Lee is....Rangers offered more and he slapped them in the face. Who the fuck would want to live in that shit hole Philadelphia??? What a tool....good riddance dummy.

who the hell would want to play in that sweltering Arlington oven in mid-July?

crc21209
12-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Howard is a homerun or bust player. He sucked ass in the last 2 rounds the Phillies got eliminated in. If he isn't hitting homeruns, he is an overrated piece of shit.

+1....In his last AB of the season dude went down looking, come on now...

RedsLakers24
12-14-2010, 04:53 PM

LOL, Adrian Gonzalez is a better 1b then Ryan Howard, and also a better hitter. So is Joey Votto.

JayTheClown
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM

He hits for pretty good average for a slugging first baseman. He that down year in 2008 were he hit .251. Last year he hit for .276 I believe. I would take that production any day of the week and so would the Redsox.

JayTheClown
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
LOL, Adrian Gonzalez is a better 1b then Ryan Howard, and also a better hitter. So is Joey Votto.

I'm not saying there not. Whats your point?

gaKNOW!blee
12-14-2010, 06:24 PM

I give you Votto...but get that gonzalez shit outta here. Better fielder sure, but not a better hitter.

when he goes atleast 45 HR (with a high of 58) and 140 RBI in 4 straight years let me know.

JayTheClown
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I give you Votto...but get that gonzalez shit outta here. Better fielder sure, but not a better hitter.

when he goes atleast 45 HR (with a high of 58) and 140 RBI in 4 straight years let me know.

To make a case for Gonzalez he does hit for a slightly better average and better OPS than Howard, but yeah I agree with your assessment.

Brodels
12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm a little surprised Lee didn't take the money and go to New York. Looks like he made the best decision for himself and his family, so that's all good.

Not sure that Texas is really that attractive as a destination for free agents, so I'm not surprised Lee spurned them.

Brodels
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM

Over the past three years, Gonzalez has a better OBP and a better OPS, and he plays in perhaps the worst hitters park in the majors. Plus Gonzalez plays much better defense.

Not sure why Howard is even in this conversation. Adrian has performed better recently in the offensive stats that matter while playing half of his games in San Diego. And defensively it's not even close.

Howard is a nice player, but he's not a top-five first baseman. Gonzalez is.

Heck, if you look at his offensive numbers, you'll see that Howard probably wasn't one of the top five first baseman in the National League last year. And that doesn't even factor in defense.

RedsLakers24
12-14-2010, 10:02 PM

Gonzalez played at Petco, Howard played in Citizen bank ballpark. Petco is a Pitchers ball park, Citizen bank ballpark is a hitters park. And get the RBI out of here. Put Rollins, Victorino, and Utely infront of gonzalez and he gives you the same or more RBI's then howard.

Horry For 3!
12-14-2010, 11:08 PM
Dream team they are sure to fail.

This isn't the NBA. Great pitching staff's like that don't fail unless they are hurt.

JayTheClown
12-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Over the past three years, Gonzalez has a better OBP and a better OPS, and he plays in perhaps the worst hitters park in the majors. Plus Gonzalez plays much better defense.

Not sure why Howard is even in this conversation. Adrian has performed better recently in the offensive stats that matter while playing half of his games in San Diego. And defensively it's not even close.

Howard is a nice player, but he's not a top-five first baseman. Gonzalez is.

Heck, if you look at his offensive numbers, you'll see that Howard probably wasn't one of the top five first baseman in the National League last year. And that doesn't even factor in defense.

That has to be the most idiotic statements I have heard in a long long time.

Lets see this not in pacific order.

1). Votto
2). Gonzales (I don't agree he's better than Howard, but I will give him to you for argument sake)
3). Mark Teixeira
4). Prince Fielder
5). Justin Morneau
6). Kornorko
Kevin Youkilis (moving the 3rd base)

I would maybe give you Votto and Morneau, but that's the only first baseman I would take or Howard.

ducks
12-15-2010, 01:20 AM
The Rangers, though, weren't willing to go seven years guaranteed for Lee, who would have been 39 by the time that contract expired. Greenberg said this was not a case of a free-agent pitcher avoiding the Rangers because of hitter-friendly Rangers Ballpark in Arlington.

"In this instance, it was simply a matter of us saying yes," Greenberg said. "But it would have been us saying yes on terms we weren't comfortable with. This wasn't about Cliff not coming to Texas. He was willing to remain a Ranger, but it was on terms we felt went beyond the aggressive parameters we were operating under. Had we been willing to go beyond the parameters we were willing to go, he'd be here. We needed to act aggressively, but responsibly and we did so."

Texas will be compensated with two draft choices next summer since Lee is signing with another team after being offered salary arbitration.

"I'm just excited that the Rangers gave everything they had to try and make it happen," Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton said. "I think one of the factors in his decision was knowing the staff that he would be going to and joining in, and how good and dominant they possibly could be. ... We hate to lose him, but I think we'll be all right."

so he would have went to texas for 7 years guaranteed but would go to the phillies for less

it was always about the money for lee
FUCK LEE
more money per year was phillies offer then any of the deals on the table

RedsLakers24
12-15-2010, 04:36 AM

1). Votto
2). Gonzales (I don't agree he's better than Howard, but I will give him to you for argument sake)
3). Mark Teixeira
4). Prince Fielder
5). Justin Morneau
6). Kornorko

I would maybe give you Votto and Morneau, but that's the only first baseman I would take or Howard.

I think you forgot a guy named Albert Pujols, he's the best player in the game right now. Also, what about Miguel Cabrera??, i heard he's a pretty good first baseman too.

My list would go

1. Albert Pujols
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Joey Votto/Adrian Gonzalez
4. Adrian Gonzalez/Joey Votto
5. Ryan Howard

Howard cant hit lefties, in a game, where the game is on the line, all you need to do is bring a lefty reliver to get him out, Adrian Gonzalez and Joey Votto are lefties and could hit lefties good, unlike Ryan Howard. And also the reason i say Adrian is better then howard is because Howard has protection in the line up, where Adrian doesnt, every team pitches around Gonzalez, where every team needs to pitch to Howard because he has Utley infront of him and he had Werth and Ibanez behind him, and Adrian had scrubs.

Texas Chili Dog
12-15-2010, 05:15 AM
^ it's not all about offense. Pujols is a terrible fielder.

RedsLakers24
12-15-2010, 06:35 AM
^ it's not all about offense. Pujols is a terrible fielder.

:lol, :lmao, :rollinLOL, Puljols already has 2 gold gloves, i know gold gloves dont mean much since Jeter has won the last two years, but Pujols is one of the better fielding first basemans. A lot of baseball fans use Fielding Bible awards to see who are the real defensive players, and Pujols has won it almost every year except this year.

http://www.billjamesonline.net/fieldingbible/complete-votetally.asp

JayTheClown
12-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I think you forgot a guy named Albert Pujols, he's the best player in the game right now. Also, what about Miguel Cabrera??, i heard he's a pretty good first baseman too.

My list would go

1. Albert Pujols
2. Miguel Cabrera
3. Joey Votto/Adrian Gonzalez
4. Adrian Gonzalez/Joey Votto
5. Ryan Howard

Howard cant hit lefties, in a game, where the game is on the line, all you need to do is bring a lefty reliver to get him out, Adrian Gonzalez and Joey Votto are lefties and could hit lefties good, unlike Ryan Howard. And also the reason i say Adrian is better then howard is because Howard has protection in the line up, where Adrian doesnt, every team pitches around Gonzalez, where every team needs to pitch to Howard because he has Utley infront of him and he had Werth and Ibanez behind him, and Adrian had scrubs.

You are exactly right sir, I did forget Miguel and Cabrera the two best first baseman in the game. I think I forgot Miguel because I still think of him as a Marlin playing 3rd for some reason and Albert, I don't know why I forgot him, but yeah your right my mistake.

Brodels
12-15-2010, 11:19 PM

1). Votto
3). Mark Teixeira
4). Prince Fielder
5). Justin Morneau
6). Kornorko

Howard's rank among first baseman in the past three years:

OBP - 2010 (13th), 2009 (14th), 2008 (13th)
OPS - 2010 (10th), 2009 (9th), 2008 (6th)

Unless you're going to argue that Ryan Howard is one hell of a defensive first baseman, which I think is going to pretty hard to do, I don't think you have much of a case here.

I understand that you would take only a couple of other first baseman ahead of Ryan Howard, I just have no idea why. He's clearly not as good as many of the others offensively, and I don't think you can claim that he plays stellar defense.

The numbers don't lie, and he's compiled them playing in a pretty good hitter's park. So let's hear your case: given that he isn't a top-five first baseman offensively, as the numbers bear out, why do you think he's so good?

Brodels
12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Wins above replacement, First Basemen, 2008-2010 (Fangraphs)

Albert Pujols 25.3
Mark Teixeira 16.2
Joey Votto 16.1
Kevin Youkilis 15.7
Adrian Gonzalez 15.6
Miguel Cabrera 14.7
Prince Fielder 13.6
Lance Berkman 13
Justin Morneau 12.6
Derrek Lee 10.5
Ryan Howard 9.9

Fangraph Values, First Basemen, 2008-2010

Albert Pujols $109.30
Mark Teixeira $70.10
Joey Votto $69.50
Kevin Youkilis $68.60
Adrian Gonzalez $67.60
Miguel Cabrera $63.60
Prince Fielder $59.00
Lance Berkman $56.60
Justin Morneau $55.30
Derrek Lee $45.40
Ryan Howard $43.10

Kai
12-16-2010, 02:36 PM
shiiiit man the Phils have a godly rotation and some strong bats. I could see them winning multiple championships in the future.

ducks
12-16-2010, 10:26 PM
they need more bats

DieHardSpursFan1537
12-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Well ESPN sure has been talking about it a lot....:sleep

Otherwises, the Phillies are going to be a powerful force next season.

Zelophehad
12-20-2010, 07:57 PM

Actually my brother lived in New York and Philadelphia, and while he hated New York, he loved Philly. Said New York is filled with douche bags, but the people in Philly are pretty cool.