PDA

View Full Version : The reason the mavs will fail in the playoffs again.. (mav fan perspective)

MavFan6488
12-14-2010, 07:40 AM
this is how great teams, championship caliber teams play...

- if they can't get stops defensively, they turn up their offense..
- if it's not clicking offensively, they turn up their defense..

but when the mavs struggle defensively or offensively, they always been in huge trouble. yesterday we struggled on the defensive end. we just couldn't get stops. a championship team should still be able to outscore a team like milwaukee. but dirk is the only effective offensive weapon on our team since '07. and he can't go 12 of 14 every night.

if we struggle on the offensive end, it will look like the spurs series last year.
spurs just shot down terry, butler, marion and kidd and let dirk do his thing. it's easy to shut them down, because they're just streaky jump shooters who can't create anything for themselves. and when our offense struggles, we're a bad defensive team also, because we suck at defense in transition since 2007.

in the '07 playoffs, we struggled offensively (dirk double team, no 2nd option) -> couldn't stop baron davis in transition.
in the '08 playoffs, we struggled defensively (couldn't stop chris paul) -> couldn't outscore them, dirk only effective weapon.
in the '09 playoffs, we struggled defensively (nuggets just way more physical) -> couldn't outscore denver, dirk only effective weapon.
in the '10 playoffs, we struggled offensively (dirk the only effective player, no one stepping up besides him) -> result: bad transition defense.

bottom line, get dirk some real help offensively, someone who can create his own shot, or this season will end just like '07, '08, '09 and '10. i hope roddy will be the answer when he comes back, but i doubt he will.

Texas_Ranger
12-14-2010, 07:49 AM
The thing is that the Mavs only rely on Dirk. You live with him and you die with him.
Butler, Marion, Terry, Barea(LOL) and others are just bad when you have to count on them.

21_Blessings
12-14-2010, 07:59 AM
in the '07 playoffs, we struggled offensively (dirk double team, no 2nd option)

Stephen Jackson was punking Dirk throughout that series, even the times (which was mostly) guarding him straight up; infiltrated Dirk's insecure little psyche. :lol

Doubling Dirk on the perimeter is pretty ineffective anyway, since he can just shoot or pass right over it.

No second option? J-Ho only averaged 21 on 51% shooting...yeah that's what happened :lmao

brock_lobster
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
this is how great teams, championship caliber teams play...

- if they can't get stops defensively, they turn up their offense..
- if it's not clicking offensively, they turn up their defense..

but when the mavs struggle defensively or offensively, they always been in huge trouble. yesterday we struggled on the defensive end. we just couldn't get stops. a championship team should still be able to outscore a team like milwaukee. but dirk is the only effective offensive weapon on our team since '07. and he can't go 12 of 14 every night.

if we struggle on the offensive end, it will look like the spurs series last year.
spurs just shot down terry, butler, marion and kidd and let dirk do his thing. it's easy to shut them down, because they're just streaky jump shooters who can't create anything for themselves. and when our offense struggles, we're a bad defensive team also, because we suck at defense in transition since 2007.

in the '07 playoffs, we struggled offensively (dirk double team, no 2nd option) -> couldn't stop baron davis in transition.
in the '08 playoffs, we struggled defensively (couldn't stop chris paul) -> couldn't outscore them, dirk only effective weapon.
in the '09 playoffs, we struggled defensively (nuggets just way more physical) -> couldn't outscore denver, dirk only effective weapon.
in the '10 playoffs, we struggled offensively (dirk the only effective player, no one stepping up besides him) -> result: bad transition defense.

bottom line, get dirk some real help offensively, someone who can create his own shot, or this season will end just like '07, '08, '09 and '10. i hope roddy will be the answer when he comes back, but i doubt he will.

Solid take. Trash talking aside, they are a solid team and are really only lacking that solid SG next to Dirk. They need to get a good SG (OJ Mayo is on the block but with Xavier Henry taking his starting spot, you have to wonder if he will ever reach his potential) in a package around Butler/Terry. Andre Iguodala is not the answer, however, only a lateral move. He would definitely be an upgrade over the current players but I see him as, and I believe most NBA fans would agree, as a very solid 3rd option on a contending team. Someone like Monta Ellis, for example, would be great next to Dirk, however, with Beaubois returning soon, a small SG may not be a great idea. Beaubois will be a great backup to whomever takes the spot of Butler.

Whether or not Cuban can pull the trigger on a reasonable deal remains to be seen. Hopefully for Maverick Fans he will be able to swing for fences and not end up with another Haywood/Butler on his hands.

Cry Havoc
12-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Since the Dirk era began in Dallas, they've never had a consistent second option.

Butler and Marion are great, but only when the defense isn't focused on containing them. They can get points, but not against focused defensive pressure.

Dirk is the ONLY player on Dallas that can score reliably even with defenders stuck to him. When he sits, or when he's shooting less than 60% from the field, who does this team go to? The Spurs have Tony and Tim when Manu is off, and now they have RJ and Hill as well to back up the scoring punch. The Lakers have Gasol and Odom (and maybe Bynum). The Celtics have... well... an entire team that shoots 50%+ right now. If Pierce isn't hitting, Rondo will be, or KG, or Baby Davis, etc.

Point is, every other elite team in the league has second options that are superior to Butler and Marion, who tend to only flourish with other threats on the floor. If the Mavs could find a way to deal (maybe one of their centers + a pick) for a LEGIT second option, they would suddenly be almost impossible to deal with on offense, and their defense is good this year too.

Shank
12-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Finley, back in the day, was pretty solid.

Xevious
12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
No second option? J-Ho only averaged 21 on 51% shooting...yeah that's what happened :lmao
I was about to say... they had a second option in Josh Howard when he was around and producing at a high level. And while everybody seems to be excited over the Mavs defense this year, people fail to mention that their defense was pretty damn good under Avery Johnson. I don't know what the solution is though. I just think '06 just put a curse on them. Take away a few mental mistakes from Dallas (Howard calling the last timeout after the first freethrow :lol ), and a few lucky whistles from Miami, and Dallas has at least one championship.

MavFan6488
12-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Since the Dirk era began in Dallas, they've never had a consistent second option.

Butler and Marion are great, but only when the defense isn't focused on containing them. They can get points, but not against focused defensive pressure.

Dirk is the ONLY player on Dallas that can score reliably even with defenders stuck to him. When he sits, or when he's shooting less than 60% from the field, who does this team go to? The Spurs have Tony and Tim when Manu is off, and now they have RJ and Hill as well to back up the scoring punch. The Lakers have Gasol and Odom (and maybe Bynum). The Celtics have... well... an entire team that shoots 50%+ right now. If Pierce isn't hitting, Rondo will be, or KG, or Baby Davis, etc.

Point is, every other elite team in the league has second options that are superior to Butler and Marion, who tend to only flourish with other threats on the floor. If the Mavs could find a way to deal (maybe one of their centers + a pick) for a LEGIT second option, they would suddenly be almost impossible to deal.
i completely agree with you.

Shank
12-14-2010, 09:17 AM
Are we really trying to establish this argument with 55+ games to go?

hater
12-14-2010, 09:22 AM
whenever the mavs play in offseason, the ghost of Captain Jax is still out there haunting Dirk. they will never get over it.

ElNono
12-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Are we really trying to establish this argument with 55+ games to go?

This. There's plenty of time for trades to be made and what not.

MavFan6488
12-14-2010, 09:27 AM
j-ho, are you serious? don't get me wrong, he was a talented player. i would definitely pick the '07 j-ho over '10 caron butler any day of the week, but he couldn't create his own shot either. he profited from dirk double teams in that series, that's where these percentages came from. but he still was no offensive threat. by offensive threat i mean someone who can get hot and maybe draw double teams by himself to take the pressure off dirk, but j-ho wasn't able to do that. he was one of the better mav players in that series though. terry for example was an invisible ghost in that series (just like in '08, '09 and '10)..

irishock
09-04-2012, 10:09 AM
bump

#41 Shoot Em Up
09-04-2012, 10:08 PM
The thing is that the Mavs only rely on Dirk. You live with him and you die with him.
Butler, Marion, Terry, Barea(LOL) and others are just bad when you have to count on them.

Dumb motherfucker :lol

irishock
09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Hes the same dumbass that changed his avi and sig despite being a dumbass fan