PDA

View Full Version : Busting three early Heat myths

Ace
12-14-2010, 02:32 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/1213/nba_g_heat3_576.jpg

After starting out 9-8 this season, conventional wisdom claimed that this Heat team was fatally flawed. Now with eight consecutive wins by at least 10 points, the Heat have answered the doubters. Here are three early-season myths that have been busted.

LeBron James and Dwyane Wade can’t coexist.
It took only one game in Boston for this theory to hatch. There was concern that, as two ball-dominant attackers, James and Wade’s games mirrored each other to the point of redundancy. We heard the gallery’s Chicken Little diagnoses over and over again. There’s only one ball. They’re taking turns in the half court. They’re too proud to defer.

We’re learning now that the relationship between the two superstars was far too green to warrant the conclusive review. But the worries had some weight, even if they were premature. Off the court, James and Wade fed the monster by admitting they were preoccupied with whose “time” it was to get their shots. And we could see it on the court. If one superstar had the ball, the other stood idly watching on the other side of the floor. The offense looked inactive, unimaginative, and wasteful.

But the recent play has quieted those concerns. It took some time, but James and Wade discovered the panacea for their problems: speed.

The Heat have reeled off eight straight double-digit victories in large part to James and Wade’s realization that they’re virtually invincible on the go. Whether it’s flying in transition or cutting to the basket off the ball, the two superstars have blitzed opponents through sheer velocity.

It’s a stark change to their isolation-heavy offensive attack. It used to be that when LeBron had the ball in the half court, Wade and his defender would observe the two-time MVP go to work from a distance. But not anymore. The moment Wade’s defender gives LeBron his full attention, Wade has begun to cut back door to the rim, leading to some incredibly easy buckets. And in the full court, the two have orchestrated some of the most synchronized fast breaks of the season league-wide.

We can see the synergy in the numbers as well. During an eight-game stretch in November ending with the Dallas loss, Wade was assisted on only six of his 45 made baskets, including four games in which all his buckets were scored without the passing help of his teammates. Since then? Wade has been assisted on nearly half of his field goals (39 assists on 81 buckets). James, too, has experienced a similar turnaround during the win streak.

Many of those assisted buckets have occurred in traffic, but the half court game has increasingly displayed more movement, weeding out the one-on-one stagnancy that plagued the Heat earlier this season. As co-pilots steering the Heat’s success, it’s no longer relevant to argue who’s in the driver’s seat. They’re winning together.

Without Udonis Haslem, the Heat are too soft.
Spurred by Haslem’s foot injury and Chris Bosh’s dip in the rebounding column, it was believed that the Heat were going to be bludgeoned down low this season.

Except that hasn’t really happened.

In fact, by some comprehensive measures, the Heat have protected the basket better than any team in the NBA. According to Synergy video data, opponents are shooting a mind-boggling 37.2 percent around the basket this season. The league-average conversion rate? 45.8 percent. Only the Chicago Bulls (39.8 percent) come close to approaching Miami’s overpowering basket defense. Yeah, a team that starts Chris Bosh and Zydrunas Ilgauskas is leading the league in basket protection.

How have the Heat done it? They’ve built a stone wall through defensive rotations. The Heat rarely give up open looks at the basket thanks to head coach Erik Spoelstra’ system, which relies on trust and help defense. Without an anchor like Dwight Howard or Joakim Noah, Miami is forced to protect the rim as a unit where every defender must ensure the opponent doesn’t get a clean look. Bosh can’t rotate to help plug a 1-5 pick-and-roll unless he’s confident that his wing teammates are rotating as well. And James and Wade can cover so much ground with their speed and length that they are able to hedge between two players without stretching the defense too thin.

There’s no doubt that Haslem’s injury weakened the Heat frontcourt, but the Heat's supposed rebounding flaws have seemed to disappear during their hot streak. In fact, when we look at offensive rebounding rate, the Heat have outrebounded their opponent in nine of their 12 games since Haslem went down in Memphis. Prefer traditional counting stats? With Haslem sidelined, the Heat have outrebounded opponents 532 to 467. And their most impressive performance coming against the Sacramento Kings who ranked in the league’s top ten in rebounding before the Heat got done with them.

While it appears that the Heat have given more effort on the boards, we should also attribute their rebounding surge to the team’s comfort factor with Spoelstra’s defensive schemes (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/2405/2405). Positioning is just as important to collecting a live ball as energy.

With the Heat gobbling up boards and defending the paint, their purported Achilles heel doesn’t seem to be much of a problem anymore. If anything, it’s been a propeller for their success.

The Heat can’t contend with Carlos Arroyo as their starting point guard.
Averaging just 6.9 points and 2.1 assists per game, the 31-year-old Arroyo has been a punching bag for Heat cricitism this season. The journeyman point guard has put up less than stellar per game numbers as a starter, but his function on this team isn’t to be a conventional point guard. Why? This isn’t a conventional team.

Arroyo’s job description requires him to defend the opposing point guard, hit open shots and play within his means on offense. And to that end, he’s doing just fine. His 50.4 field goal percentage is a career-high while ranking third among regular point guards behind Steve Nash and Tony Parker. Furthermore, his 59.3 True Shooting percentage ranks among the leaders at his position as well.

It was expected that magnetic presence of LeBron and Wade would make it easier for teammates to score and it’s evident that Arroyo is capitalizing on his opportunities. According to Synergy, 81 percent of Arroyo’s catch-and-shoots this season have come unguarded and he’s cashed in with a 58.8 effective field goal percentage. Both rates are well above average.

Not only is he nailing his shots but Arroyo has also cut down on his turnovers. With just 17 turnovers in 565 minutes played, no starting point guard has fewer turnovers per minute than the Miami veteran. Spoelstra has asked Arroyo to play conservative, mistake-free basketball and the eight-year veteran has responded in a big way.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamiheat/post/_/id/2436/busting-three-early-heat-myths

Ace
12-14-2010, 02:45 PM
BTW Heat are second in the NBA for points allowed 91.3, tied for first in point differential 9.7, first in opponent's field-goal percentage 42.7, first opponent's three point percentage 32.1

Heat have no center :cry:cry:cry

TimmehC
12-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Nice little run they're on. I'd like to see how it works out the next time they play BOS, DAL, LAL, or SA before declaring if they've arrived, though.

LnGrrrR
12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
^^^

They're gelling now, but will they maintain it when they have to face a string of tough teams? We'll see.

lefty
12-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Myth#1: Lebron did it for the kids
Myth#2: Wade owned the Mavs; oh wait, that's true
Myth#3: Bosh is a reptilian; but he does look like a diplodocus

Cry Havoc
12-14-2010, 03:46 PM
I thought it was pretty humorous that people who banter about the regular season not mattering were up in arms to conclude that the Heat were a horrible team less than 20 games into the season.

Hollinger basically owned everyone here, his numbers indicated they were better than their record suggested all along.

Voice of Reason
12-14-2010, 05:52 PM
I thought it was pretty humorous that people who banter about the regular season not mattering were up in arms to conclude that the Heat were a horrible team less than 20 games into the season.

Hollinger basically owned everyone here, his numbers indicated they were better than their record suggested all along.

I think most basketball fans knew the Heat were better than their record without Hollinger telling them with his numbers...it was just fun to kick them while they were down and make fun of all the preseason hype of 72+ wins.

Man In Black
12-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Leave it to the 4-letter to try to pump up the Heat in an inane attempt to rile CASUAL fan into thinking that they're more than just a playoff team. They have too many holes and really, who the fuck have they beat that had possible Championship contention?
Outside of the Magic in Week 1 of the year and maybe the Jazz in this trip, they haven't really had a QUALITY win. Beating up on the Sisters Of The Poor isn't enough, no matter what the 4-letter tells.

I've heard this tune before from 4-letter. Hey 4-letter, you're still off-tune and you still SUCK.

Ace
12-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Leave it to the 4-letter to try to pump up the Heat in an inane attempt to rile CASUAL fan into thinking that they're more than just a playoff team. They have too many holes and really, who the fuck have they beat that had possible Championship contention?
Outside of the Magic in Week 1 of the year and maybe the Jazz in this trip, they haven't really had a QUALITY win. Beating up on the Sisters Of The Poor isn't enough, no matter what the 4-letter tells.

I've heard this tune before from 4-letter. Hey 4-letter, you're still off-tune and you still SUCK.

MIB getting his ass hurt on. What contender have the Spurs beat?

Man In Black
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Why do fans of other teams like saying," ...asses hurt"? Does it come from personal experience?

Let's take the same 2 teams, Orlando & Utah. Let's also add Oklahoma City in OK City and Chicago.
I can't wait until the Spurs play the heat. TEAM ball beats STAR ball. Open your eyes.

Ace
12-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Why do fans of other teams like saying," ...asses hurt"? Does it come from personal experience?

Let's take the same 2 teams, Orlando & Utah. Let's also add Oklahoma City in OK City and Chicago.
I can't wait until the Spurs play the heat. TEAM ball beats STAR ball. Open your eyes.

Maybe its not ass hurt but you do have feminine tendencies. Overly sensitive tbh.

who the fuck have they beat that had possible Championship contention?

I know your boardline retarded but that's no excuse for avoiding the question. I asked who have the Spurs beat?

u4lakers14
12-14-2010, 10:54 PM
myth #4. winning % of the heats poor victims is better than 0.400

Ace
12-14-2010, 11:12 PM
How about the Lakers or Celtics? Whoever nuts your riding at the moment.

Agloco
12-14-2010, 11:16 PM

This. W2 tbh.....ATL, UTA

Man In Black
12-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Maybe its not ass hurt but you do have feminine tendencies. Overly sensitive tbh.

I know your boardline retarded but that's no excuse for avoiding the question. I asked who have the Spurs beat?

Your reading comprehension sucks. Chicago and OKC + the 2 teams whose victories both the Spurs and Heat have in common. You said ass again. Brilliant. Self-ownage is hilarious. You're a master at it.
:hat

Ace
12-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Your reading comprehension sucks. Chicago and OKC + the 2 teams whose victories both the Spurs and Heat have in common. You said ass again. Brilliant. Self-ownage is hilarious. You're a master at it.
:hat
My reading comprehension sucks? Here's your question:

who the fuck have they beat that had possible Championship contention?

I asked you to tell me who the Spurs have beat that falls in that very category. Yet, once again your response is OKC and Chicago. Maybe its not your reading comprehension but a simple lack of knowledge as to who the NBA contenders actually are. Being that you think the Spurs are contenders, it doesn't surprise me.

Koolaid_Man
12-14-2010, 11:50 PM
Ace...The 3 myths that were confirmed:

Rainbow Pride

Myth #1:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture10.jpg

Myth # 2:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture14.jpg

Myth # 3:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture15.jpg

LnGrrrR
12-14-2010, 11:53 PM
I'd post the extremely more gay pics of Kobe here, but that seems too easy.

Koolaid_Man
12-14-2010, 11:57 PM
I'd post the extremely more gay pics of Kobe here, but that seems too easy.

how much time does your wife have before she takes the citizenship test...if you want I can get you an advanced copied of the answers...I know you wouldn't mind cheating seeing how you like partaking in illegal activities anyways...

ElNono
12-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Ace...The 3 myths that were confirmed:

Rainbow Pride

Myth #1:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture10.jpg

Myth # 2:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture14.jpg

Myth # 3:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/Koolbreezey/NewPicture15.jpg

Is that part of your private stash? :wakeup

ElNono
12-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Myth 4: Lebron would get past Boston if he joined Bosh and Wade.

That's something else Miamifan likes to ignore. Bron has pulled severe tank jobs in the playoffs. Including the broom display in the Finals against us.

Koolaid_Man
12-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Did you hear about that fucking reward system in Miami...if Bron or Wade makes a good defensive play they can do whatever they like on offense....them Niggas fucking smoking crack in Miami...lol

ElNono
12-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Did you hear about that fucking reward system in Miami...if Bron or Wade makes a good defensive play they can do whatever they like on offense....them Niggas fucking smoking crack in Miami...lol

Phil should pull that one on Artest, tbh

ElNono
12-15-2010, 01:03 AM
That said, Ron Ron plays D most of the time without anybody asking him, so ymmv

LnGrrrR
12-15-2010, 01:31 AM
how much time does your wife have before she takes the citizenship test...if you want I can get you an advanced copied of the answers...I know you wouldn't mind cheating seeing how you like partaking in illegal activities anyways...

Went in to biometrics today, tbh, and got the 100 question test. I got a few for you, no cheating...

Give one author of the federalist papers.

How many reps are in the House?

In what year did the US make the Louisiana Purchase?

Ace
12-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Luva posted a fat bitch's pussy in one thread and Kool posts pictures of men without shirts. Surprising…

Koolaid_Man
12-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Went in to biometrics today, tbh, and got the 100 question test. I got a few for you, no cheating...

Give one author of the federalist papers.

How many reps are in the House?

In what year did the US make the Louisiana Purchase?

I'm an entitled citizen I don't give a shit...but you...you better pull out the fucking text books and read that shit...time is of the essence you fucking cracker ass cracker...:lmao

http://www.happycountdown.com/citizenship/index.cfm

midnightpulp
12-15-2010, 01:39 AM
Luva posted a fat bitch's pussy in one thread and Kool posts pictures of men without shirts. Surprising…

:lol

LnGrrrR
12-15-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm an entitled citizen I don't give a shit...but you...you better pull out the fucking text books and read that shit...time is of the essence you fucking cracker ass cracker...:lmao

http://www.happycountdown.com/citizenship/index.cfm

Figured you wouldn't know. Since you love youtube so much (video is easier than books I guess), I'll post something in a language you can understand.

AzFTLKWvfE0

Koolaid's keeping it real!

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-15-2010, 03:32 AM
74-8 extasy!