PDA

View Full Version : Pardon me being unaware of this but

Rummpd
05-26-2005, 08:01 PM
J. Johnson is apparently the second coming of either:

Magic or Jordan or in the class of Wade, Kobe and all the others.

Can't wait to see this guy! Have to have the film and video ready! Must gather the children and watch one of the all time great Willis Reed acts.

Somehow I missed him as the difference maker while the Spurs outplayed the Suns in the regular season.

Damm I will be better prepared on Sat.

Will have to watch him exclusively and ignore the Nash's, Amare's, Duncan's, Manu's, Parker's etc. Can't miss a legend in the making?

Can I?

mikester
05-26-2005, 08:03 PM
They sure do make him sound special, don't they?
JJ= no difference.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Suns are undefeated with him in the lineup during the playoffs.

I sure hope the Spurs feel the same way as all of you.

boutons
05-26-2005, 08:11 PM
'Suns are undefeated with him in the lineup during the playoffs."

Doesn't mean his play caused the undefeatedness, unless he was a 4th qtr game-changer, or buzzer-beating shot maker.

ChumpDumper
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
It's not like we've blown these guys out twice -- a small difference can mean alot, especially one that can shoot the three and handle the ball.

Kori Ellis
05-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Spurs fans are acting pretty damn cocky. If Joe Johnson is comfortable in his mask, of course he'll make a difference. They'll switch him onto Tony Parker, then Nash can rest on D and guard Bowen. He was hitting 57% from 3 before the injury in the postseason. And he can play back-up point guard so that they don't have to be stuck using Barbosa.

I still think the Spurs will win the series handily. But I don't think you should write off JJ or the Suns quite yet.

JoeChalupa
05-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Joe Johnson could be make a big difference if only by giving the Suns more confidence.

exstatic
05-26-2005, 08:16 PM
JJ, when healthy, is a much better player than QRich. I'm not sure that he'll be either physically or mentally prepared to play.

AlamoSpursFan
05-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Was he in the Suns lineup the two regular season games we won against Phoenix?

Kori Ellis
05-26-2005, 08:23 PM

Yes. He didn't play that well against the Spurs in the regular season (14ppg on <40%FG). But that doesn't diminish the fact that he gives the Suns an extra body on the floor, another defender, another shooter, and a backup point guard -- if he is comfortable with the mask.

They showed him on the news playing 2-on-2 today and shooting pretty well, but that doesn't mean anything until he gets on the floor in a real NBA game. A lot of guys play well instantly with the mask (like LeBron) but some take time to adjust, so we'll see.

BronxCowboy
05-26-2005, 08:25 PM
Yeah, actually he wasn't good at all in the first game that the Spurs won, but he wasn't bad in the second one. 21 pts, I think.

boutons
05-26-2005, 08:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs will come out much more defensively minded @SBC, Pop will insist on it and his people have/will buy into it, off-setting any plus the JJ may bring.

Already, the Suns are shooting 10 less 3G's/game vs Spurs than their season avg . The Spurs have been responsible for that, it will only get worse @SBC, like everything else for the Suns @SBC.

JJ got 9 pts @SBC in the 28 Dec blow-out, which the Suns took on 12 3G's, making but 4.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 08:30 PM

He was, Jim Jackson wasn't. The second game the Suns really only played five players (Richardson, Johnson, Marion, Nash and Stoudemire). The 3rd doesn't count because Duncan, Manu and Richardson were all out.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the Spurs will come out much more defensively minded @SBC, Pop will insist on it and his people have/will buy into it, off-setting any plus the JJ may bring.

Already, the Suns are shooting 10 less 3G's/game vs Spurs than their season avg . The Spurs have been responsible for that, it will only get worse @SBC, like everything else for the Suns @SBC.

JJ got 9 pts @SBC in the 28 Dec blow-out, which the Suns took on 12 3G's, making but 4.

I wonder if that 3pt shooting average has anything to do with Johnson not being on the court.

The full Spurs team and the full Suns teams have never faced each other. The first two were before Jackson joined the team. One player doesn't make a difference by himself, but through what the team does when that player is on the court.

nkdlunch
05-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Suns are undefeated with him in the lineup during the playoffs.

Sounds great but if you think about it that's 4 games vs. Memphis. and 1 vs. Mavericks at home.

Dingle Barry
05-26-2005, 08:42 PM
His ability to guard Parker is what will help the Suns. They have been scoring with such ease for most of the games, I don't see yet another offensive threat leading to the demise of the Spurs in this one.

boutons
05-26-2005, 08:51 PM
In the season, teams shot a very good %age of 3Gs vs Spurs. I think the Spurs were way down at 27th or 28th in opp 3G %age.

But opp shot only 10 3G/game vs Spurs, vs league avg of 15.

MI21
05-26-2005, 08:59 PM
I can not believe how cocky Spurs fans are, especially considering last season's disaster after being 2-0 up. We must remember that Phoenix are the best road team in the league and if anybody has the ability to win 2 at SBC it is Phoenix. Plus they are getting a shooter back and Richardson/Marion are "due" for a good game.

MaNuMaNiAc
05-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Dude, if he only makes a 5 point difference, it'll make all the difference in the world! In case you haven't noticed we really haven't won by a land slide.

boutons
05-26-2005, 09:01 PM
WGAF about the fans. It's the Spurs who count. The Spurs are 4-0 vs Suns, 3 Ws @PHX, with Duncan.

The Spurs will win, or beat, themselves this weekend. Spurs haven't been lucky so far, they been excellent, making their own luck.

PM5K
05-26-2005, 09:35 PM
The guy is the second best three point shooter in the league @ .478 so his abesence certainly affects them.

He does a lot more than that but that alone is enough to stuff that condescending post right down your throat.

If you think he'd have no impact in this series you are sadly mistaken and while no he's not in the class of players you've mentioned in your sarcastic post he is a very good player.

He's easily right there with Marion as their third best player behind Nash and Stoudemire, what would you be saying right now if San Antonio were missing their third best player?

NCaliSpurs
05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
The guys are shooting 57%. There is only 1 rock.

Offensively, if he shoots 52% he will actually drag the team down!!!

Defensively, he may try to stop Parker, but keep in mind how tight they are calling contact on the perimeter this post-season. Roughing up parker on the perimeter may not work this year.

ducks
05-26-2005, 10:26 PM
one thing I like is spurs have had plenty of time to get ready for joe
spurs will come out strong. POP CAN SHOW THEM WHAT HAPPENED TO HOUSTON!
nash not playing d would help nash on o alot

joe is like their manu

if spurs were down instead of up and had manu playing his game in this series sat
I bet spur fans would be talking like they could win the series still

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 11:17 PM
I can buy the argument that Johnson will make some difference OFFENSIVELY for the Suns, but I can't buy the notion that he's going to make a dramatic difference defensively -- at least not until I see it. I haven't seen tape of that 2nd game during the regular season in months, but if someone recalls that Johnson defended Parker during that game, it had this effect -- Pop simply went small, forced Nash to defend a bigger scorer, and Manu went absolutely freakin' nuts. IIRC, the Suns shut down Parker pretty well in that 2nd game, but could do nothing with Barry, Manu, and Tim, who scorched them in that 4th Quarter. I guess, even with Johnson, its a pick your poison situation for the Suns.

More pointedly, I also haven't seen tape recently of the 3rd game, but my memory tells me that Parker was tremendous for 3 quarters that night (29 or so) before running out of gas in the 4th and going scoreless. If Johnson had the defensive assignment that night, I'd say that whatever he did in the 2nd game had been solved in the 3rd game.

If I'm D'Antoni and Johnson truly is my defensive stopper, he's not taking Parker -- he's taking Manu, since Manu is several times more explosive than Parker is. Parker's penetration in this series has largely gotten looks for himself. Manu's gets looks for Manu, but it also opens up opportunities for other guys. If I'm D'Antoni, and I want to stifle the Spurs in the half court, my bigger concern is Manu. I'm not sure that Johnson can effectively check Manu, though.

All of that said, if Joe Johnson can line up some 3's and make a couple, he'll be a help to the Suns. I fear, however, for his sake, that the Suns have now made Joe Johnson into some sort of uber-savior: I think Joe Johnson is a tremendous talent and a wonderful ball player, but I'm not sure he's ever truly been that guy.

This series is far from over, and Johnson may prove to be a difference-maker, but I have my doubts.

PM5K
05-26-2005, 11:21 PM
The Suns haven't made him out to be anything, they haven't even used him as an excuse for their losses.

I'm not saying exactly what impact he may have on this series as it's difficult for more than one reason to say, but to discount him with a arrogant and sarcastic post as the original poster did is just stupid, in a series that's been this close you don't think a three point shooter that was second best in the league at almost fifty percent might make a difference?

That's not even the half of it because of what he can do on the defensive end, and what he does by giving them back a bench with Jim Jackson but as I said earlier, you don't have to over analyze the shit out of this to figure out he's not someone to be overlooked...

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Defensively, he may try to stop Parker, but keep in mind how tight they are calling contact on the perimeter this post-season. Roughing up parker on the perimeter may not work this year.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree, unless the refs are racist. Parker has been hand checking Nash up and down the court with it being called.

Catharsis
05-26-2005, 11:44 PM
you don't think a three point shooter that was second best in the league at almost fifty percent might make a difference?

Johnson is probably the best 3pt shooter, not second best. Hoiberg shot .5% better, but Johnson averaged over twice as many attempts per game (4.5 to 1.9). Johnson also averaged over twice as many minutes per game.

MI21
05-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Parker may be hand checking, but Steve Nash is one of the worst players I've seen for a while at pushing off with his off arm. Not to mention his outrageously illegal hesitation dribble combined with the quick foot shuffle to fake out defenders.

And before some Suns says "Oh I guess the Spurs never do anything wrong", Parker and Ginobili get away with shitloads of travels and carrys, but Nash's ones are just so damn obvious.

FromWayDowntown
05-26-2005, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree, unless the refs are racist. Parker has been hand checking Nash up and down the court with it being called.

It seems to me that the officials have been pretty consistent about allowing an extended arm on the perimeter, but calling a bent arm most of the time. They'll certainly let more go at this stage of the playoffs, but they've been pretty strict on calling that bent arm. Parker has played Nash with an extended arm for most of this series, so that's not going to be called.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
It seems to me that the officials have been pretty consistent about allowing an extended arm on the perimeter, but calling a bent arm most of the time. They'll certainly let more go at this stage of the playoffs, but they've been pretty strict on calling that bent arm. Parker has played Nash with an extended arm for most of this series, so that's not going to be called.

Extended is worse than bent, imo. The idea of the hand check rule was the prevent the pressure that often hinders offense. Above the free throw line you cannot touch the offensive player.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:02 AM
Parker may be hand checking, but Steve Nash is one of the worst players I've seen for a while at pushing off with his off arm. Not to mention his outrageously illegal hesitation dribble combined with the quick foot shuffle to fake out defenders.

And before some Suns says "Oh I guess the Spurs never do anything wrong", Parker and Ginobili get away with shitloads of travels and carrys, but Nash's ones are just so damn obvious.

:rolleyes

MI21
05-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Typical. So you can see some agressive defense by Parker out on the floor bordering on illegal, but you can't see what Nash does?

If you can't see the shuffling of Nash's feet and his pushing off then you are not watching. I can see Parker's massive carry everytime he is running full speed and switches the ball from his right hand to his left. I can see his jump stops followed by another step. I can see Tim lifting his pivot foot and shuffling his feet occasionally in the post. If it is there it is there, whether or not the players plays for your team or not.

But whatever, continue being blind to obvious stuff.

cqsallie
05-27-2005, 12:12 AM
I, for one, am looking forward to a full complement of Suns on the court. This will at last expell all those lingering doubts about the Spurs dominance. Personally, I'd like to see the Suns throw everyone into the fray.
Don't believe for a minute that the Spurs are unprepared. Johnson back in the lineup? Makes no difference. The Spurs are not in awe of anyone, as well they should not. They will play their game, no matter what. As far as I can see, there are a great number of people who are giving creds to this or that opponent, while failing to see the great talent of individual Spurs.
Stop worrying about who's on the floor for the Suns. The guys putting the ball on the floor wearing Spurs uniforms are great. Trust in them and stop worrying about the other guys...

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:12 AM
Typical. So you can see some agressive defense by Parker out on the floor bordering on illegal, but you can't see what Nash does?

If you can't see the shuffling of Nash's feet and his pushing off then you are not watching. I can see Parker's massive carry everytime he is running full speed and switches the ball from his right hand to his left. I can see his jump stops followed by another step. I can see Tim lifting his pivot foot and shuffling his feet occasionally in the post. If it is there it is there, whether or not the players plays for your team or not.

But whatever, continue being blind to obvious stuff.

Dude, it's one of the stupidest things I've ever read. Nash is pushing off with his arms? Nash is always traveling? But you can justify it by saying that Manu, Parker and Timmy do the same things and get away with it? If that's how you feel, why does it matter??

And "the aggressive defense" by Parker is illegal--not borderline illegal. It's a new rule enforced this year.

Catharsis
05-27-2005, 12:15 AM
The Spurs are not in awe of anyone, as well they should not.

The Suns aren't in awe of Bowen, but he does what's expected. The Spurs won't be in awe of Johnson, doesn't mean he won't have an impact.

MI21
05-27-2005, 12:20 AM
Where did I say always? Where did I say arms? He pushes off with his off arm to get a gap between he and his defender. Almost every good guard does it, but sometimes it's so outrageously obvious and it never seems to get called. The carry on the hesitation dribble is obvious too, and if you can't see that your eyes are fucked.

By the way, what Parker is doing to Nash is no more illegal than what Nash does off the dribble with his pushing and hesitation, that is why I bring it up, that is why it matters. You can complain about one thing but are oblivious to the fact that your PG gets away with a few little things to.